Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

No, I haven't had the 5920G with me for months now.

Oh I remember you saying something about lending your laptop to a family member.

then i will give it a shot, maybe.

hope sound will work,

cause the guy (9a6paf) who posted the sound driver,

said he wasn't sure if it will 100% work under 10.5.7 either.

gonna send him a pm first

hope <ou get it back some day VooD

see you

I'm on 10.5.8 update about 10 days or so and it's working just fine. Also installed Chameleon 2.0 RC2 without issues.

In the meantime I tried something with DSDT table taken from MBP3,1 and got sleep and hibernate working but only without AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext in /S/L/E. With BCM5787 installed, sleep is not working.

Guys, i am new of the macosx, i've search something, but i'm a little noob u.u

Any chance for the lan, the graphic video and wireless?

Did you read the first post? There is everything you need to know.

This guide is for specific model, you got that also?

Yes, but when i've installed every driver i've found the macosx has stop to boot and i must do a format u.u

Specific model is:

-Wireless: Intel wireless 4965AGN

-Ethernet: Broadcom BCM5787

-GPU: ATi Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (with the driver 10.5.5 ready of iDeneb it work only 1024x768]

Been lurking around here and have found this guide very helpful, but my audio broke when I combo updated from 10.5.6 -> 10.5.8.

I restored IOPCIFamily.kext w/ the one that came in the original driver zip package. About This Mac shows the audio card, but sound doesn't work. While changing volume with the knob, the on screen display shows a circle with a diagonal line through the center, presumably to show that audio is not there. All the segments of the OSD volume bar stay highlighted even if I turn the knob down, and the speaker is greyed out. Sound under System Preferences shows no output or input devices found.

Here are kexts that changed during the update, identified by modification time.

System.kext

IPFirewall.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

Also I am a little confused as to which steps from the guide need to be followed for audio. There were initial instructions using AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and a manual switcher script that installed or removed the kext to switch outputs between reboots. I still have this installed. Then the switching problem was "solved" with a new file AppleHDA.kext.internal_headphone_out_Aspire5920g.zip which replaced AppleHDA.kext. I have this installed as well. Finally there was a third "better" way using the Acer5920GHDA.kext from Acer5920GHDAv1.1.zip installed into /Extra/Extensions along with smbios.plist and an EFI String in com.apple.Boot.plist, the latter two going into /Extra. I updated to Chameleon 2.0 RC2 before also installing this third way.

As a side note, the Chameleon pkg based installer did not work for my GUID type partitioning scheme, I had to follow the manual install instructions. Also I have used DSDT patcher, manually fixing the .dsl and compiling from the terminal as stated in this thread, but I don't believe that effects audio.

Anyhow, my audio was working using the steps in the last two paragraphs, until the update happend. I'm not sure what to try next. Should I try removing AppleAzaliaAudio.kext? Should I revert to the pre-"solved" AppleHDA.kext even though the update doesn't seemed to have touched it? How can I tell which kexts have been loaded currently?

Thanks!

Ok, I removed all off the audio kexts I downloaded from this thread, reverted to the original AppleHDA.kext/smbios.plist, and deleted com.apple.Boot.plist. I then re-installed the Acer5920GHDAv1.1.zip package and it worked. My mistake earlier was to put Acer5920GHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions rather then /System/Library/Extensions. I had heard /Extra/Extensions is better for hackintosh related extensions, but it doesn't work for this even though Disabler/AppleDecrypt and others work out of there. I see this is a clean solution to the audio though, involving minimal changes to core kexts, great work!

Something I noticed is the Acer5920GHDA.kext is highlighted blue in finder and when viewing it via "ls -l" in terminal it has an @ symbol next to its permissions. Any idea what this means?

Also when figuring out how to apply the NVCAP value, I first opened up the NVinjectGo.kext/Info.plist in a text editor. Under the NVCAP key was what looked like gibberish surrounded by <data> tags.

Before changes -

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>

BAAAAAAABQACAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

</data>

But when viewed through the property list editor the NVCAP value showed an uneditable blank until I went to "View -> Show Raw Keys/Values". Then a string formatted like the one I obtained from this thread showed up as the value and I was able to paste in the new one. When I saved the plist and again opened it in a text editor I saw the value under the NVCAP key was still surrounded by data tags and looked like gibberish, but different gibberish.

After changes -

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>BAEBAQ4AAQAOAAAAAAABCwEAAAA=</data>

Provided NVCAP value/format for those not wanting to backreference previous posts-

<04000000 00000500 02000000 00000007 00000000>

I guess my question is whether there is a way to paste in the NVCAP using a text editor, maybe by changing <data> to <string>? Since the NVCAP value is surrounded by <> it might be mistaken for an XML tag, so I guess that is why it is encoded as data. Still, I am wondering if it is possible to paste it in directly from a text editor, maybe by "escaping" those special characters somehow.

There was some confusion about applying NVCAP earlier in this thread, so my point is also to show new users they should likely stick to the plist editor.

Thanks again for the helpful guide. My laptop is almost 100%. The only issue left is that when I close the lid the system locks up, but I will investigate some more before I come back.

<br />Yes, but when i've installed every driver i've found the macosx has stop to boot and i must do a format u.u<br /><br />Specific model is:<br /><br />-Wireless: Intel wireless 4965AGN<br />-Ethernet: Broadcom BCM5787<br />-GPU: ATi Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (with the driver 10.5.5 ready of iDeneb it work only 1024x768]<br />

As I'm aware of, Intel wireless & ATI graphic cards like 3950 are not fully or not supported by the OS X. BCM5787 ethernet is working, but some small system tweaking is needeed (see the first post in the topic).

<br />Something I noticed is the Acer5920GHDA.kext is highlighted blue in finder and when viewing it via "ls -l" in terminal it has an @ symbol next to its permissions. Any idea what this means?<br />

I have this habbit to the mark the modded kext in /S/L/E with color for making them distinguishable from the original kext's when looking inside /S/L/E with Finder. And that's all the mystery :D

<br />I guess my question is whether there is a way to paste in the NVCAP using a text editor, maybe by changing <data> to <string>? Since the NVCAP value is surrounded by <> it might be mistaken for an XML tag, so I guess that is why it is encoded as data. Still, I am wondering if it is possible to paste it in directly from a text editor, maybe by "escaping" those special characters somehow.<br />

Changing <data> to <string> could work if you remove <> tags from the NVCAP value. But, I'm not 100% shure about that, more like 99% :D. Try it with making few different modded NVInject kext's along the original NVInject.kext inside some folder and learn how to install them manually (cp -R ... , chmod -R .... , chown -R ... procedure) from the single-user terminal (-s boot mode) if something goes wrong. :P

The only issue left is that when I close the lid the system locks up, but I will investigate some more before I come back.<br />

That one is the ACPI table related problem, but resolving this needs some time (but not so much) to figure out ACPI asm syntax first.

<br />hy.. did you solve the annoiyng problem of randomic hang at boot?<br />

This problem is allready solved on 5920G with boot parameter USBFix=Yes or UHCIreset=Yes.

A little update:

here is simple online data translator http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/

enter BAAAAAAABQACAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= in BASE64 field and press <DECODE> button. In DEC/CHAR field you will get 4 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0.

enter 04010101 0e000100 0e000000 0000010b 01000000 in the HEX field and press <DECODE>. In BASE64 field you will get BAEBAQ4AAQAOAAAAAAABCwEAAAA=.

BAEBAQ4AAQAOAAAAAAABCwEAAAA= is the data that I'm using for working HDMI/VGA outputs, but S-video is not working.

As I'm aware of, Intel wireless & ATI graphic cards like 3950 are not fully or not supported by the OS X. BCM5787 ethernet is working, but some small system tweaking is needeed (see the first post in the topic).

I've do exactly how tell the first post, and now os crash ._.

I do many and many format guys. It may not work for me?

ive got a few issues currently

i tried the voodps2cotroller and i like the trackpad gets 2 finger scroll but it turned my tilde key into § key so i reverted and lost my scroll anyone know how i can get the scroll and keep the ~

alos when i upgraded for 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 i lost my bluetooth completely even if i dual boot and turn it on in windows it wont work anyone have a idea how to fix it?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi I have been trying this for 2 days now, but no luck. I can't even get to install gui.

Here are the bios and errors.

bios info:

bios1jm.th.jpg

bios setting:

bios2.th.jpg

error on loading:

waitingforu.th.jpg

i tried loading with flags rd=disk0s1 -v -f

error:

panicd.th.jpg

also i tried all commands on http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/possible-sol...1467/page2.html

only thing i can think of is a problem with the disk. it is partitioned :

disk 1

part 1, 30gig fat32

part 2, 30gig ntfs

part 3, 90gb ntfs (windows server 2008 and this is boot partition and active)

maybe because i choose part 1 it won't work as it is not set as boot? i want it to install on part1. but i also took out my laptop harddrive and put in another one that was clear. still didn't work:@

hope someone can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've installed Snow Leopard based on the how-to of Lifehacker. The installation went fine, but now I have a problem with my ethernet adapter. It doesn't appear under "networks".

post-353478-1256389311_thumb.png

Does anyone know how i can install the drivers or where i get the drivers? Does the ethernet only work with a working wifi card?

I tried it with the "ethernet drivers" from Vood, but they didnt work.

Thanks and regards,

PS: sry for my bad english :P

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

I've installed Snow Leopard based on the how-to of Lifehacker. The installation went fine, but now I have a problem with my ethernet adapter. It doesn't appear under "networks".

post-353478-1256389311_thumb.png

Does anyone know how i can install the drivers or where i get the drivers? Does the ethernet only work with a working wifi card?

I tried it with the "ethernet drivers" from Vood, but they didnt work.

Thanks and regards,

PS: sry for my bad english ;)

I have the same problems. Patched my own dsdt.aml under linux, cmos fix , AZAL to HDEF etc. Chameleon 2.0RC3 and PC_Efi 10.5 for the video. Still haven't got my ethernet working. I'm using a Zydas for now, but want my Broadcom working.

Anybody a solution?