Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

OK, por fin he podido instalar Leopard con tu método.

Finalmente he probado los Retail 10.5.0 y 10.5.4 y ambos funcionan bien. En el caso del 10.5.4 creo recordar que el teclado del portátil me funciono a la primera así que me decante por esta versión.

La instalación fue correcta, todo bien salvo lo que ya sabíamos, falta sonido, internet y grafica. Siguiendo tus instrucciones he obtenido sonido y Ethernet (con muchos problemas ya que solo funciona en casa pero no en la red interna del trabajo, que raro!!), pero no wifi (no he conseguido aun una tarjeta alternativa), el resto todo aparentemente bien (reinicio ok, etc) excepto la tarjeta grafica. Instalo los drivers para la grafica y al reiniciar llego al escritorio pero se queda pensándolo mucho, carga algunos iconos y de ahí no pasa. Como se desinstalar un driver?? Bueno, ya lo encontraré. No se donde lo leí, pero solo cuando arranco con -v -x -f (tengo que descubrir que es cada cosa) el escritorio carga bien y rápido.

Conclusiones: Después de todo no es demasiado complicado la instalación siguiendo tus instrucciones, la configuración posterior es un poco más compleja. La limitación con el Ethernet ha condicionado mi regreso a Windows hasta que aparezca una instalación o driver más funcional/sencilla porque uso el portátil en el trabajo y es clave el uso de Internet.

Por lo demás, muchas gracias VooD por el tutorial y decir que estaré atento a mas opciones para volver a intentarlo en el futuro que espero sea cercano.

Saludos

OK, por fin he podido instalar Leopard con tu método.

Finalmente he probado los Retail 10.5.0 y 10.5.4 y ambos funcionan bien. En el caso del 10.5.4 creo recordar que el teclado del portátil me funciono a la primera así que me decante por esta versión.

La instalación fue correcta, todo bien salvo lo que ya sabíamos, falta sonido, internet y grafica. Siguiendo tus instrucciones he obtenido sonido y Ethernet (con muchos problemas ya que solo funciona en casa pero no en la red interna del trabajo, que raro!!), pero no wifi (no he conseguido aun una tarjeta alternativa), el resto todo aparentemente bien (reinicio ok, etc) excepto la tarjeta grafica. Instalo los drivers para la grafica y al reiniciar llego al escritorio pero se queda pensándolo mucho, carga algunos iconos y de ahí no pasa. Como se desinstalar un driver?? Bueno, ya lo encontraré. No se donde lo leí, pero solo cuando arranco con -v -x -f (tengo que descubrir que es cada cosa) el escritorio carga bien y rápido.

Conclusiones: Después de todo no es demasiado complicado la instalación siguiendo tus instrucciones, la configuración posterior es un poco más compleja. La limitación con el Ethernet ha condicionado mi regreso a Windows hasta que aparezca una instalación o driver más funcional/sencilla porque uso el portátil en el trabajo y es clave el uso de Internet.

Por lo demás, muchas gracias VooD por el tutorial y decir que estaré atento a mas opciones para volver a intentarlo en el futuro que espero sea cercano.

Saludos

Pues, diría que si te rula el teclado de primeras estás usando una distribución modificada, ya que el teclado del portatil es ps/2 y macosx por defecto no incluye soporte ps/2, lo cual puede que este relacionado con el resto de problemas que tienes, por ejemplo con la gráfica. El problema con la red puede ser debido a que el driver por defecto no asigna una mac al puerto de red. En las instrucciones del driver viene especificado como hacerlo.

- v = verbose

- x = modo a prueba de fallos

- f = forzar carga de los drivers.

De todas formas, creo que hay algo que se te ha escapado. Con mis instrucciones y mis ficheros el portátil funciona al 100% y arranca rapidísimo.

Thanks for the guide. Im going to try it this week.

I have one question though, is there some nice and clean (easy) way to set triple boot with OS X, Win Xp and Linux(Ubuntu).

Im going on fresh hdd (format all).

As far as I understand, this installation will use guided partition scheme. Do I have problems after installation of OS X? Can I install XP and finally Ubuntu with grub and conf the grub to select the os on startup?

What do you guys think what would be the best and working solution?

Thanks for this guide. Finally im hopefully going to get working installation for my Acer.

-jaffe

I have succesfully installed the 10.5 system. But after the basic system kexts and vga kext installation the kexthelper asks for booting. After the boot my laptop hangs in the gray loading screen. I have read some topics, but do you have any idea why this happens? The -f switch didn´t work.

any ideas?

"You probably didn't follow all my steps. You HAVE TO update the system, before installing the vga kexts."

I followed exactly the guide. Order in guide says that first install vga / basic system kexts then update to 10.5.5. After update continue kext installation.

This time i installed 10.5.0, then added the basic system kexts but not the vga kext. Then i updated to 10.5.5.

Now boot stops in gray screen. In verbose mode boot the loading stops after the ethernet card line.

I have no ideas.

This time i installed 10.5.0, then added the basic system kexts but not the vga kext. Then i updated to 10.5.5.

Now boot stops in gray screen. In verbose mode boot the loading stops after the ethernet card line.

I have no ideas.

Did you update your bios? Is AHCI turned on? Are you sure you were able to boot from hard disk before updating to 10.5.5? Did you try repairing the permissions after installing the kexts? Did you install the kext's into kext helper from a safe path?

Kext helper sometimes doesn't work if the kext you are trying to install are in complex paths.

Something like /Users/Name/Desktop/dsmos.kext will work.

Something like /Users/Volumes/Windows XP/Documents and Settings/Michael Jackson/Desktop/dsmos.kext won't work.

Did you update your bios? Is AHCI turned on? Are you sure you were able to boot from hard disk before updating to 10.5.5? Did you try repairing the permissions after installing the kexts? Did you install the kext's into kext helper from a safe path?

Kext helper sometimes doesn't work if the kext you are trying to install are in complex paths.

Something like /Users/Name/Desktop/dsmos.kext will work.

Something like /Users/Volumes/Windows XP/Documents and Settings/Michael Jackson/Desktop/dsmos.kext won't work.

I updated bios. AHCI is on. I was able to boot form hd after update. I didn't try to repair permissions after installing of kexts. I installed the kexts from desktop, so the path is ok.

I updated bios. AHCI is on. I was able to boot form hd after update. I didn't try to repair permissions after installing of kexts. I installed the kexts from desktop, so the path is ok.

Well, I'm sorry I can't help you. My tutorial works for me, and other people on this post also confirmed they got it working. Either there's some kind of difference between yours and ours, or you are not doing something correctly.

Try booting with -v -f -x and uploading a screengrab.

i got the 10.5.6 working.

I have only issues with ethernet. I read the instructions. I did't do the hex editing. My connection is from ips provider which uses dhcp. I guess i need to set the right mac address for my ethernet. I used the new kext which is listed in the guide in update 3.

Im confused on that hex editing part. I can't find the 2e900 line in that file. And how can i know my mac address which i should insert in the hex editor.

Anyone has same problem?

i got the 10.5.6 working.

I have only issues with ethernet. I read the instructions. I did't do the hex editing. My connection is from ips provider which uses dhcp. I guess i need to set the right mac address for my ethernet. I used the new kext which is listed in the guide in update 3.

Im confused on that hex editing part. I can't find the 2e900 line in that file. And how can i know my mac address which i should insert in the hex editor.

Anyone has same problem?

Usually what's is protected by mac adress is the cable modem, not the computer itself. So unless your cablemodem or router doesn't like not having a valid mac adress it should work. (mine works with no mac adress). Just be sure to follow the instructions in the ethernet driver so it's loaded every time you boot the computer (the readme explains two different methods for doing that).

Btw, did you discovered what were you doing wrong?

Usually what's is protected by mac adress is the cable modem, not the computer itself. So unless your cablemodem or router doesn't like not having a valid mac adress it should work. (mine works with no mac adress). Just be sure to follow the instructions in the ethernet driver so it's loaded every time you boot the computer (the readme explains two different methods for doing that).

Btw, did you discovered what were you doing wrong?

I installed 10.5.5 this day again, and its not working for me. I didn do anything wrong. After the update the system wont boot. When the gray screen has loaded the desktop never shows. I installed the nvinject kext manually and the desktop come, but it was distorted and the system crashed.

The 10.5.6 update via update tool works and after the next boot i could install the nvidia kext and the desktop worked. I installed the remaining kexts, but shutdown didnt work for me and the new AppleHDA kext didnt work. I could use your script for changing the sound output. I used usb stick ethernet card for internet.

What i did in the ethernet installation: I used the method num. 3, where I installed the kext with kext helper, then i copied the start_promisc folder to StartupItems and did the chmods and chown. I have no idea why its not working for me.

I have question though, Is the basic system kexts installation a MUST before the update (10.5.5 / 10.5.6)? What I did, I first installed the basic system kexts, did the update and finally installed other kexts and drivers. I have installation going on again, where i will use the 10.5.6 system update via update tool. Let's see can i get it to work again. I will tell you guys whats working for mee and whats not.

Is it usual that the computers fans are working allmost all the time?

Ok. Now I can confirm that everything is working (exept shutdown, not tested yet. Will edit if works.)

I installed the base system, updated 10.5.6 Combo with downloadable pkg from apple site. First I installed the basic kext, then update, then the rest kexts with new AppleHDA and PCMCIAFamily.

Did a system boot, installed the ethernet kext with method 3. What I did diffently, I had to renew the IP address from dhcp server a few times, before i got the right IP. (I didnt look for this from the advanced settings, Im noob in OS X).

I dont know how stable this is, but everything is working, external lcd monitor, sounds from jacks, keyboards etc. My boot ratio is something like 70 - 80 percent.

Many thanks for VooD and for every one else in this forum.

Shutdown works, sleep doesn't (as I said in the tutorial) There's a good reason for sleept not to work (though you probably can make it work).

Anyway. You mentioned the carbon copy cloner as a part of the way to install this into mbr partitioned hard disk. So now i have working os x. What are the steps to install it to mbr?

First i just copy the hdd where i installed the leopard? (i looked the carbon program, and i can choose full backup).

Whats next? What i need to do in next installation?

Thanks for your help

Anyway. You mentioned the carbon copy cloner as a part of the way to install this into mbr partitioned hard disk. So now i have working os x. What are the steps to install it to mbr?

First i just copy the hdd where i installed the leopard? (i looked the carbon program, and i can choose full backup).

Whats next? What i need to do in next installation?

Thanks for your help

(if you really want to install in a MBR partition is better to use an external USB hard drive with GUID partition scheme and once installed just cloning the installation into your internal hard disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and then Chamaleon Installer)

I suppose you installed to an external usb hard disk (as I explained in the tutorial). If you did, just follow what I said.

Partition your internal HD as MBR from Apple Disk Utility, clone your installed system with CCC into the new MBR partition, and finally install Chameleon.

(I feel like I'm repeating again, and again :))

I suppose you installed to an external usb hard disk (as I explained in the tutorial). If you did, just follow what I said.

Partition your internal HD as MBR from Apple Disk Utility, clone your installed system with CCC into the new MBR partition, and finally install Chameleon.

(I feel like I'm repeating again, and again :P )

I think i got it now. (its ok you are repeating :) ) You are helping many other people. You know, teachers repeat the same courses every year too. Heh

Vood, how to configure partitions for multibooting with Windows?

I have tried installing Windows before Mac OS but, with Mac OS bootloader i can't boot from NTFS volume.

Can you post any multiboot installation instructions?

Thank you!

And... sorry for my English.:)

Vood, how to configure partitions for multibooting with Windows?

I have tried installing Windows before Mac OS but, with Mac OS bootloader i can't boot from NTFS volume.

Can you post any multiboot installation instructions?

Thank you!

And... sorry for my English.:)

Again...

1.- Boot the MacOS X Installation disk and make 2 partitions in MBR mode(one for xp another one for macos)

2.- Install XP in the first partition

3.- Follow the tutorial and completly install the system to an external usb hard disk

4.- Once you have an already bootable and functional system in the usb hard disk use carbon copy cloner to copy your disk to your second internal partition

5.- Use Chamaleon installer again, but selecting the internal macosx partition.

Done.

• 1 month later...

I've try to install AppleHDA.kext and I have kernel panic after shutdown:

"A driver releasin a(n) AppleHDAController has corrupted the registry\n'@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu/-1228.9.59/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:241"

What does it mean?!?!?!?!?!?! :( :(

HELP!!!!!!!

I've try to install AppleHDA.kext and I have kernel panic after shutdown:

"A driver releasin a(n) AppleHDAController has corrupted the registry\n'@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu/-1228.9.59/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:241"

What does it mean?!?!?!?!?!?! :( :(

HELP!!!!!!!

try install alcinject.kext with your AppleHDA.kext

ALCinject.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Vood

You have made a lot of people a little bit happier with your instructions, I hope you can make me happier too ;)

I have a 5920g, the original leo 10.5.0 disk, an 80gig usb drive, a usb mouse and a usb keyboard.

My laptop says on the sticker on the lower right corner “Up to 1024MB nvidia GeForce 8600m GT TurboCache”, on a sticker on the left corner it says 256mb 8600m GT and GPUz says it has 256mb vram.

When I boot osX or try to install it, it says VESA3 14mb

When I do install nvinject, everything turns to {censored}...

the os installs and boots ok but it becomes totally unresponsive clearly due to graphics card issues because while windows do open, it takes a lot of time to do so...

As long as I don't install nvinject it works ok but with crappy graphics...

I guess I can't do anything about it, rigt VooD