Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

I'm on 10.5.7. I have a little problem with sound. BTW You have everything working? What about crystal eye webcam?

I mean everything is working what the tutorial covers.

So no crystal-eye. I was wondering that, am I the only one that doesn't have shutdown working?

I also think that the laptop (with os x) is a little bit noisy compared to win or linux. What about you?

I have one offtopic question as well. My friend(yea sure :D) spilled his coke glass on the table my laptop was on. I cleaned everything as i could. The liquid went only under the laptop. I realized some days later that the mechanism which opens the battery was getting tighter. Obviously the sugar liquid got inside to the mechanism. Now the battery is stuck inside. The clutch is not moving anymore and I cant get the battery out, so its charging continously. The clutch is also jammed in the position which normally should drop the battery. This bothers me. Do i have any possibilities to get it out. I've tried with force...no use. Some kind of liquid (alcohol) maybe? Or do I just need to dismount the whole laptop?

I mean everything is working what the tutorial covers.

So no crystal-eye. I was wondering that, am I the only one that doesn't have shutdown working?

Probably you are :D

I also think that the laptop (with os x) is a little bit noisy compared to win or linux. What about you

That's is normal since there is not power management functions covered in this guide so the laptop will always run at maximum speed. There are some 3rd party kexts for turning on power management features in laptops. Just look for them in IM

Probably you are :(

That's is normal since there is not power management functions covered in this guide so the laptop will always run at maximum speed. There are some 3rd party kexts for turning on power management features in laptops. Just look for them in IM

Do you have fixed this in your case? If you have, could you paste a link (there is lots of stuff there) :laser:

Could you explain how to install ALC888STNotebook.kext, and maybe I should replace any other kext? I have no luck with this kext. Also could you give an original AppleHDA.kext - I have only yours modifying.

Remove ALC888STNotebook.kext, it's meant to be used on Asus M50SV (or something like that) notebook, and it is not properly configured for 5920G. Use Acer5920GHDA.kext instead. Here is vanilla AppleHDA: AppleHDA_vanilla1056.zip

Btw. I found mostly working gfx efi string for 8600M GT 512MB (LCD&HDMI&VGA, w/o TV-out), but it should also work with 256MB card. Credit goes to cyclonfr and his 8800 GT string. Efi strings for both are included in the next package (among the other stuff): Acer5920G_collection_v0.1.zip

Remove ALC888STNotebook.kext, it's meant to be used on Asus M50SV (or something like that) notebook, and it is not properly configured for 5920G. Use Acer5920GHDA.kext instead. Here is vanilla AppleHDA: AppleHDA_vanilla1056.zip

Btw. I found mostly working gfx efi string for 8600M GT 512MB (LCD&HDMI&VGA, w/o TV-out), but it should also work with 256MB card. Credit goes to cyclonfr and his 8800 GT string. Efi strings for both are included in the next package (among the other stuff): Acer5920G_collection_v0.1.zip

Thank you so much!

For this moment I have no working only WiFi and WebCam (((((

Hope that solution is near!!!!!

BTW. From my own experience. For properly sleep working You need:

1. Chameleon 2.0

2. VoodooUSBECHI.kext from here http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

From superhai:

To enable sleep mode you have to edit the Info.plist in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

You need to add these lines

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

under

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.1.5</string>

After that install modify IOUSBFamily.kext with right permition. Than delete privat/var/wm/sleepimage and swapfile.

As root in terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

In System Preference/ Security/ chek "use...memory...." (have russian version)

Reboot (maybe 2 times).

Than you will have working Sleep.

Also one man on the make DSDT.aml modifying for turn sleep mode when you close your screen on notebook (Like a real MAC)!!!!

P.S. And this mode properly work only with NVinjectGo.kext. With strings no wake unfortunately((((

Hi VooD,

I'm following your guide but I have a question... is it impossible to skip the "GUID partition table"? To apply this settings it means to format my partitions... So delete my Linux installation (and reinstall Linux again AFTER mac os x)... :angry:

Do you have any suggestion?

If I used an alternative distribution (iDeneb or whatever else)?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Hi VooD,

I'm following your guide but I have a question... is it impossible to skip the "GUID partition table"? To apply this settings it means to format my partitions... So delete my Linux installation (and reinstall Linux again AFTER mac os x)... ;)

Do you have any suggestion?

If I used an alternative distribution (iDeneb or whatever else)?

Thanks in advance. ;)

I think you can not. The retail installer let you install the system only to GUID partition hd.

so first should I install Mac Os X on Guid and then Linux on MBR? :thumbsup_anim:

????

You can either partition in MBR or partition in GUID. Is not something you can make after you already have an OS installed. In addition to this there are instructions on the tutorial about how to install in MBR, and you could even modify your retail disk to allow MBR installation....anyway, I think the best option is getting rid of Linux (and Vista in the case you have it), there is no point on having them (specially linux) with Mac OS X :offtopic:

IMHO the perfect partitioning in a single hard disk pc would be:

MBR, XP SP3 Pro, MacOS X 10.5.7 :pyth:

I did a reinstall (formatted drive) of MAC 10.5.6 (retail) using chameleon 2.0 RC1 and your driver package (and nothing else).

All (except Webcam / WLAN) is working fine, but a still have a keyboard problem. I randomly get a sticky key. It's always number 5. And when it's sticky I can not scroll anymore (when I try to scroll e.g. in Finder the cursor alway jumps back to the top position). Only when I use the command key I can stop this repetative key (and I can scroll again).

Have you got the same problem or do you know how I might be able to solve it??

Regards,

John

P.S: I also did a update to 10.5.7 but that did not solve the keyboard problem

????

You can either partition in MBR or partition in GUID. Is not something you can make after you already have an OS installed. In addition to this there are instructions on the tutorial about how to install in MBR, and you could even modify your retail disk to allow MBR installation....anyway, I think the best option is getting rid of Linux (and Vista in the case you have it), there is no point on having them (specially linux) with Mac OS X :whistle:

IMHO the perfect partitioning in a single hard disk pc would be:

MBR, XP SP3 Pro, MacOS X 10.5.7 :whistle:

So is the 10.5.7 update via software update safe?

So is the 10.5.7 update via software update safe?

It is on my desktop pc, I haven't installed it yet on a 5920g. But probably is safe (althought you might get orange drive icons again or lose audio)

It is on my desktop pc, I haven't installed it yet on a 5920g. But probably is safe (althought you might get orange drive icons again or lose audio)

I have installed the update on my 5920G. Audio is OK and I have no orange drive icons.

I have installed the update on my 5920G. Audio is OK and I have no orange drive icons.

great 2 hear that,

i will give it a shot 2

:(

can anyone confirm, weather sound works on 10.5.7 on 5920g ?

btw,

any new updates/versions of Acer5920G_collection_v0.1 ?

enjoyed that collection a lot.

VooD, where/how did you create your avatar?

Hmm, weird, kernel panic with dsdt-fixed.

Let's go from the begining. Download DSDT Patcher v1.0.1e. (Re)boot the system without dsdt.aml and with Disabler.kext. Run DSDT Patcher and choose Darwin emulation. Compiling will probably fail. Go to the patcher's Debug folder and open dsdt-fixed.txt with TextWrangler. Solutions for possible problems: change External (^CPU0._PPC) to External (\_PR_.CPU0._PPC) .... Replace all _T_0 with T0_0. Delete all Name (T0_0, 0x00) and make one global variable Name (T0_0, 0x00) outside&before Method (something) as I wrote before.

Save the changes. Then open Terminal to recompile changed and corrected dsdt-fixed.txt. With Finder open patcher's Tools folder, drag&drop iasl to Terminal window. After that go with Finder to Debug folder, d&d dsdt-fixed.txt to Terminal window. Now make Terminal's window active (by Alt-Tab or by clicking with mouse on it) and press Enter. Now check if (re)compiling is done properly or maybe you need to make some other corrections. And remember, Google is your friend.

Let the Google be with you :)

I also did this patching, copied the dsdt.aml file to root folder, and then I deleted the intelcpupmdisabler.kext and booted with -vf flags, i saw that the appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext got loaded.

Im asking what is the purpose of this dsdt compiling anyway? Is there something new feature working after this?

VooD, where/how did you create your avatar
It's capture from my Xbox Live Avatar

I also did this patching, copied the dsdt.aml file to root folder, and then I deleted the intelcpupmdisabler.kext and booted with -vf flags, i saw that the appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext got loaded.

Im asking what is the purpose of this dsdt compiling anyway? Is there something new feature working after this?

The main purpose is getting rid of intelcpupmdisabler.kext. But by customizing your DSDT tables you can achieve crazy things like audio with no extra kexts, no need for EFI strings, solving UUID errors, etc...the problem is that you really need to know what you are doing in order to make all that to work...is not easy at all (at least is not for me)

I updated via software update to 10.5.7.

My sound device wasn't found anymore. I installed the Acer5920GHDAv1.1 kext and audio is now fine. Internal mic works and line-in also, lineout works better than before, it switches autimatically to line-out when jack installed. Nice...

I installed windows 7 in first partition and then osx to second partition.

I used the method in the guide: installed osx to usb stick and used ccc to clone the installation to internal hd.

Then I installed chameleon 2 to osx partition. This method is not working with Windows 7.

Chameleon 2 never shows up in the boot. Only blinking cursor and black screen.

I needed to install the chameleon by hand. This way I could boot to osx but windows doesn't boot. (This is not necessary, maybe).

In order to get the Windows 7 booting: (this method worked for me)

1. Boot to Windows 7 DVD, use command prompt repair tool and use diskpart to set the first partition active. Restart. (this is the 100MB partition for windows boot)

2. Boot to Windows 7 DVD again. Windows is asking you to repair the installation, click yes and restart.

3. This time machine boots to Windows. When in desktop use command prompt to control the bootloader. Type bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US. (I don't know if this part is necessary, I did it, worked form me).

4. Use diskpart to make the OS X partition active. Restart

Now you have dual booting machine with Windows 7 and Leopard with chameleon 2.

thanks ! working well on ideneb 10.5.4

we need an acer 5920g dedicated support site :) or an install iso esp for 5920g and similar....

any ideas?

iAcer 10.5.7 ? :(

No way!!!!, in my opinion (and many others) "distros" are the cancer of Os X 86 project. You never know what the authors have modified. They are a complete mess of mixed versions and hacked files. You would be surprised to know HOW MANY question about problems with OS X are posted in insanelymac due to improper distros installations or creation.

The way to go is retail installing.

Os x 86 is not a way to get a free mac. It requires certain computer skills to mantein, and people not able to cope with that (or at least not able to make a retail installation by themselves) should really buy a real mac. They would save themselves from lots of troubles and they would help osx86 community by not posting questions that often mislead developers to research and wasting time with non existant problems in vain.

I'm sorry, but that's my humble opinion.

Hi !

I'm a beginner in the OSx86 world, and tested an iPC installation on a 5920g, which works great but a little too slow for me.

Is this guide suitable for a retail 10.5.6 installation ? And would it be faster than a premade distro like iPC ?

Thanks !

This guide, as the topic title says is for installing a retail 10.5.5 system on the 5920G. I don't know how fast iPC is or even if it does install the necessary drivers for this laptop. All I can tell you is that following this guide the computer will run a fast as is inteeded to run with MacOS X.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello vood j'

I fallowed your tuto but Ivdo not manage to install leopard on my acer 5920g.

Firstly, after the update with comboupdate, computer did not reboot any more and posted a gray screen " you have to reboot your computer etc".

Secondly: there, the installation of chameleon did not work (" programme d'installation endommagé" it said in french).

My configuration:

INTEL core 2 duet T5550

nvidia GF 9500m gs

INTEL pro 3495abg (wlan)

Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M PCI-E Ethernet Gigabit To control NCV (Ethernet)

Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller (sound)

BIOS : Phoenix v1.3813

North Bridge: Intel Crestline-PM PM965 and South Bridge: Intel 82801HBM ICH8-DO (chipset)

HELP PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE !! é_è

Hello vood j'

I fallowed your tuto but Ivdo not manage to install leopard on my acer 5920g.

Firstly, after the update with comboupdate, computer did not reboot any more and posted a gray screen " you have to reboot your computer etc".

Secondly: there, the installation of chameleon did not work (" programme d'installation endommagé" it said in french).

My configuration:

INTEL core 2 duet T5550

nvidia GF 9500m gs

INTEL pro 3495abg (wlan)

Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M PCI-E Ethernet Gigabit To control NCV (Ethernet)

Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller (sound)

BIOS : Phoenix v1.3813

North Bridge: Intel Crestline-PM PM965 and South Bridge: Intel 82801HBM ICH8-DO (chipset)

HELP PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE !! é_è

Probably you didn't follow all the steps correctly. Check again. Anyway, this guide doesn't cover geforces 9500. And you won't get wifi unless you swap your wifi card.