Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0

VooD

443 posts in this topic

Open dsdt.dsl in nano under bash shell or in TextWrangler (editing in TextEdit usually makes dsl file unusable after copy/paste operation of more than one line of text).

You will probably find something like this:

Method (Z003, 1, NotSerialized)
			{
				Name (T0_0, 0x00)
				While (One)
				{
					Store (Arg0, T0_0)

The problem is that the variable Name (T0_0, 0x00) is created inside the While loop, and by the rules it should be defined earlier (outside of a function).

In TextWrangler: Go to Search -> Find, enter Name (T0_0, 0x00) in search field and find the first Name (T0_0, 0x00) from the top of dsdt.dsl. Right above the first Method ( (in this case it's Method (Z003, 1, NotSerialized) ) on top of the Name (T0_0, 0x00) write something like NameT0_0_goes_here. Example:

NameT0_0_goes_here
			{
				Name (T0_0, 0x00)
				While (One)
				{
					Store (Arg0, T0_0)

Again go to the Search -> Find, leave Name (T0_0, 0x00) in Search For: field, leave Replace With: field empty and press the Replace All button. Now in Search For: field enter NameT0_0_goes_here, and in Replace With: field enter Name (T0_0, 0x00) and then press the Replace All button again.

Anyway, it should look like this:

Name (T0_0, 0x00)
			{
				While (One)
				{
					Store (Arg0, T0_0)

I really need to update this guide. It is starting to look outdated....so many new stuff now.

Probably I should create a new boot cd based on chameleon 2.0 including the keyboard and touchpad drivers so usb mouse and keyboard is not longer neccesary to install.

Also, I need to replace chameleon 1 by Chameleon 2 RC1, and include most of the drivers in an \Extra folder in addition to the correct SMBIOS, and apple.com.boot.plist, parameters.

And finally adding a fixed DSDT table, the new iopci kexts for 10.5.6, and the new audio drivers.

I could make all this right now, but since I don't have this laptop now with me It would be risky, since I have no way to test my own instructions and files.

9a6paf, thank you for your reply!!!

What I have to do next with dsdt.dsl file?

You have to name it DSDT.aml and put it at the root of your system partition. Also in order to get the file loaded you need to install either PCEFI v9, Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or one of the olders Chameleon with DSDT patching.

If you want to test if it's working, just delete/move your intelcpupmdisabler.kext or disabler.kext and force reloading all the kext at boot (-f). If the system keeps working and loads appleintelcpupm.kext then your patched dsdt table is working.

(anyway is better you keep the disabler installed, since appleintelcpupm.kext casues the cpu to get quite hot in idle)

You have to name it DSDT.aml and put it at the root of your system partition. Also in order to get the file loaded you need to install either PCEFI v9, Chameleon 2.0 RC1 or one of the olders Chameleon with DSDT patching.

If you want to test if it's working, just delete/move your intelcpupmdisabler.kext or disabler.kext and force reloading all the kext at boot (-f). If the system keeps working and loads appleintelcpupm.kext then your patched dsdt table is working.

(anyway is better you keep the disabler installed, since appleintelcpupm.kext casues the cpu to get quite hot in idle)

I have a kernel panic(((((( It says unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\ ".

:(^_^

I have a kernel panic(((((( It says unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\ ".

:(^_^

Are you using your own dsdt file or the one posted before? Probably each different model and bios of the 5920G have a different DSDT table.

If you are using your own file, try to compile it with -newHPET option. Sometimes it helps.

Are you using your own dsdt file or the one posted before? Probably each different model and bios of the 5920G have a different DSDT table.

If you are using your own file, try to compile it with -newHPET option. Sometimes it helps.

I'm using my dsdt.dsl (in DEBUG folder after using patch). What exacly i have to do to compile this file?

I'm using my dsdt.dsl (in DEBUG folder after using patch). What exacly i have to do to compile this file?

I think your patched dsdt should be at the main directory of the pathched and not in debug.

Use terminal to add the -newHPET to the patcher command (read the instructions in the patcher for more info).

I think your patched dsdt should be at the main directory of the pathched and not in debug.

Use terminal to add the -newHPET to the patcher command (read the instructions in the patcher for more info).

Unfortunately in main directory I have no dsdt.dsl((((.... Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

I will try to do this.... Thanks Again, Vood!

I have working DSDT.aml !!!!! Thanks to 9a6paf and Vood!!!!!

I have another question - is anybody knows how to make sleep when closing notebook. The sleep mode work perfect with new Chameleon 2. But when I close notebook i have just sleep a screen... Is that posible?

9a6paf, thank you for your reply!!!

But I have Name (_T_0, 0x00) in my dsdt.dsl file not like your Name (T0_0, 0x00). Is this normal?

And what I have to do next with dsdt.dsl file?

If I remember correctly, _T_0 is compiler reserved variable. Just rename it (with Find/Replace All option) to T0_0.

If compiling went wrong, then edit dsdt-fixed.txt in Debug folder. That one is machine's dsdt table with HPET&RTC patches included. All the others dsdt files are partially/not patched.

Then try to recompile dsdt table again :D

If I remember correctly, _T_0 is compiler reserved variable. Just rename it (with Find/Replace All option) to T0_0.

If compiling went wrong, then edit dsdt-fixed.txt in Debug folder. That one is machine's dsdt table with HPET&RTC patches included. All the others dsdt files are partially/not patched.

Then try to recompile dsdt table again :D

I've trying to use dsdt-fixed.txt but had kernel panic too. (((( What I Have to do for "recompile dsdt table again"?

I've trying to use dsdt-fixed.txt but had kernel panic too. (((( What I Have to do for "recompile dsdt table again"?

Hmm, weird, kernel panic with dsdt-fixed.

Let's go from the begining. Download DSDT Patcher v1.0.1e. (Re)boot the system without dsdt.aml and with Disabler.kext. Run DSDT Patcher and choose Darwin emulation. Compiling will probably fail. Go to the patcher's Debug folder and open dsdt-fixed.txt with TextWrangler. Solutions for possible problems: change External (^CPU0._PPC) to External (\_PR_.CPU0._PPC) .... Replace all _T_0 with T0_0. Delete all Name (T0_0, 0x00) and make one global variable Name (T0_0, 0x00) outside&before Method (something) as I wrote before.

Save the changes. Then open Terminal to recompile changed and corrected dsdt-fixed.txt. With Finder open patcher's Tools folder, drag&drop iasl to Terminal window. After that go with Finder to Debug folder, d&d dsdt-fixed.txt to Terminal window. Now make Terminal's window active (by Alt-Tab or by clicking with mouse on it) and press Enter. Now check if (re)compiling is done properly or maybe you need to make some other corrections. And remember, Google is your friend.

Let the Google be with you :censored2:

Hmm, weird, kernel panic with dsdt-fixed.

Let's go from the begining. Download DSDT Patcher v1.0.1e. (Re)boot the system without dsdt.aml and with Disabler.kext. Run DSDT Patcher and choose Darwin emulation. Compiling will probably fail. Go to the patcher's Debug folder and open dsdt-fixed.txt with TextWrangler. Solutions for possible problems: change External (^CPU0._PPC) to External (\_PR_.CPU0._PPC) .... Replace all _T_0 with T0_0. Delete all Name (T0_0, 0x00) and make one global variable Name (T0_0, 0x00) outside&before Method (something) as I wrote before.

Save the changes. Then open Terminal to recompile changed and corrected dsdt-fixed.txt. With Finder open patcher's Tools folder, drag&drop iasl to Terminal window. After that go with Finder to Debug folder, d&d dsdt-fixed.txt to Terminal window. Now make Terminal's window active (by Alt-Tab or by clicking with mouse on it) and press Enter. Now check if (re)compiling is done properly or maybe you need to make some other corrections. And remember, Google is your friend.

Let the Google be with you :(

I GOT IT!!!! DSDT.AML FULLY WORKING!!!!

I delet IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext and have no panik!!!!

Thanks to all people on this greate forum.

Thank you so-o-o-o much!!!!!

Hello,

I have managed to do a clean install with a retail Leopard (10.5.6) following your instructions and using also the updates 4/5 and 6.

A few days ago I still had problems booting (succes rate was about 60%). Now, after installing Chameleon RC1 and modifying "com.apple.boot.plist" (adding USBusFix=yes and Timeout=8), I got 100% success rate!!!

Further I have WIFI (using Sitecom 300N USB-adapter > WL-182) and sound is OK too.

2 problems remain:

* webcam is still not working (I have CamTwist 1.7 running and then I start Photobooth, but the crystal eye on my 5920G still shows no orange light)

* AND, the most annoying problem, the keyboard. Sometimes (after a few minutes or sometimes after an hour) I get a hanging key (always a repatative number 5). It's visible everywhere (in Word, In google search box.....it's impossible to type text). I do not know how to get rid of this (I removed the according kext and reinstalled it, but that doesn't seem to help). Does anyone also has this problem?!

Best regards,

John

Hello,

I have managed to do a clean install with a retail Leopard (10.5.6) following your instructions and using also the updates 4/5 and 6.

A few days ago I still had problems booting (succes rate was about 60%). Now, after installing Chameleon RC1 and modifying "com.apple.boot.plist" (adding USBusFix=yes and Timeout=8), I got 100% success rate!!!

Further I have WIFI (using Sitecom 300N USB-adapter > WL-182) and sound is OK too.

2 problems remain:

* webcam is still not working (I have CamTwist 1.7 running and then I start Photobooth, but the crystal eye on my 5920G still shows no orange light)

* AND, the most annoying problem, the keyboard. Sometimes (after a few minutes or sometimes after an hour) I get a hanging key (always a repatative number 5). It's visible everywhere (in Word, In google search box.....it's impossible to type text). I do not know how to get rid of this (I removed the according kext and reinstalled it, but that doesn't seem to help). Does anyone also has this problem?!

Best regards,

John

Product ID:	0xa101
 Vendor ID:	0x064e  (Suyin Corporation)

This is known issue. No fully working driver so far.

For keyboard....does the same problem exist in other OS (Win, Linux?)

Product ID:	0xa101
  Vendor ID:	0x064e  (Suyin Corporation)

This is known issue. No fully working driver so far.

For keyboard....does the same problem exist in other OS (Win, Linux?)

No, only in OSX

Regards,

John

P.S: for keyboard drivers I'm using the ones that are told to be compatible with 10.5.6 ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1010232 )

I'm using VoodooPs2 kext and have no problem with keyboard and touchpad (btw with 1 finger scrolling).

Just tried VoodooPS2 and still have the stuck keys problem (and there seem to be more that have the same problem:

1. http://mydellmini.com/forum/voodoops2-cont...p;sk=t&sd=a

2. http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,80.0.html

Any other ideas??

(I tried deleting all ext-files related to PS2 and reinstalled VoodooPS2, but that did not help)

hey VOOD,

hope you are doing fine.

U said earlier, you are going to post an updated version of your guide,

i love to see it, even if it would be a little bit risky because of the fact that you have lent your notebook.

BTW, one fact was always a little bit odd to me:

i followed your guide a lot of times in the last 1/2 years and i came to the following conclusion:

the most stable system and highest-successful-boot-rate situation i always had/have at the point

i quote "- Once you are finally at the desktop" - At THIS point i have a nearly perfect system.

Installing the kexts and the 10.5.5 update somehow brings trouble my system (less-boot-success for instance).

Therefore I am working with 10.5.0 and no installed boot-loader (Chamaleon) ...

I boot with your CD Boot-132 ... it works like a charm when i boot with it :)

Since I need a very stable system especially in the next months, i would love to keep it that way...

and that's why i have some questions:

0.) since it boots so perfect with your cd, shall i install the kexts which are inside INITRD.IMG

1.) is it possible to put your cdboot.iso on a usb-disc and boot from that instead of the cd? if yes, how?

2.) does Update 2/4 work with 10.5.0? (AppleHDA.kext.internal_headphone_out_Aspire5920g.zip)

3.) does Update 5 work with 10.5.0 (Chameleon RC1)

4.) which vga-kext would you suggest me on 10.5.0

thx a lot

hey VOOD,

hope you are doing fine.

U said earlier, you are going to post an updated version of your guide,

i love to see it, even if it would be a little bit risky because of the fact that you have lent your notebook.

BTW, one fact was always a little bit odd to me:

i followed your guide a lot of times in the last 1/2 years and i came to the following conclusion:

the most stable system and highest-successful-boot-rate situation i always had/have at the point

i quote "- Once you are finally at the desktop" - At THIS point i have a nearly perfect system.

Installing the kexts and the 10.5.5 update somehow brings trouble my system (less-boot-success for instance).

Therefore I am working with 10.5.0 and no installed boot-loader (Chamaleon) ...

I boot with your CD Boot-132 ... it works like a charm when i boot with it ;)

Since I need a very stable system especially in the next months, i would love to keep it that way...

and that's why i have some questions:

0.) since it boots so perfect with your cd, shall i install the kexts which are inside INITRD.IMG

1.) is it possible to put your cdboot.iso on a usb-disc and boot from that instead of the cd? if yes, how?

2.) does Update 2/4 work with 10.5.0? (AppleHDA.kext.internal_headphone_out_Aspire5920g.zip)

3.) does Update 5 work with 10.5.0 (Chameleon RC1)

4.) which vga-kext would you suggest me on 10.5.0

thx a lot

I think I won't be making a full guide again at least for a couple of months...not having the laptop with me and having not so much free time are the main reasons for that.

If you use 10.5.0 and my bootcd you won't have video acceleration and many other things. Also the drviers in the .zip file are the same as in the initrd.img except for the ones which are specific for this laptop. I mean, the .zip file includes exactly the same drivers the initrd.img has in addition to the ones for video, ethernet, etc... So any system installed following my guide should be pretty (if not perfectly) stable, or at least as stable as when you load the system from dvd. In my case, I had never a single kernel panic.

1.- Yes I think you can. I did it once. There's some guides around. But anyway with Chameleon 2 RC1 around probably it would be a better idea to use it instead.

2.- Probably they will work

3.- Yep, it should work.

4.- Sorry but YOU CAN'T have graphics acceleration in 10.5.0...at least if you want to keep the system as vanilla as possible, and want avoid messing with different version files. I think 8x00 series drivers were first included in 10.5.2, so you need at least that version. Maybe you could make some frankenstuff and install 10.5.2 drivers in 10.5.0 but I seriously doubt that would be a good idea.

VooD,

i have to tell you: .... I AM BACK AGAIN ...

on chameleon 2.0RC1 + 10.5.5 + 512 Q/E + nice-boot-rate + stable system :D

problem was the Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg,

after i installed it manually with Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin.tar,

everything went fine ;)

just one thing is missing from making me 100% happy:

can't get the new posted audio-driver to work,

could give some hints/tips.

I tried Acer5920GHDA.kext within Acer5920GHDAv1.0 which includes a com.apple.Boot.plis,

Acer5920GHDA-EFI_string.hex, Acer5920GHDA-EFI.plist and a DSDT-Fix folder...

but the install-textfile isn't that helpful :unsure:

can u assist us?

thx a lot buddy

i have to repeat myself:

you guys here are doing a wonderful job :D

VooD,

i have to tell you: .... I AM BACK AGAIN ...

on chameleon 2.0RC1 + 10.5.5 + 512 Q/E + nice-boot-rate + stable system :D

problem was the Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg,

after i installed it manually with Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin.tar,

everything went fine :(

just one thing is missing from making me 100% happy:

can't get the new posted audio-driver to work,

could give some hints/tips.

I tried Acer5920GHDA.kext within Acer5920GHDAv1.0 which includes a com.apple.Boot.plis,

but the install-textfile isn't that helpful :D

can u assist us?

thx a lot buddy

i have to repeat myself:

you guys here are doing a wonderful job :D

I'm glad you are finally happy with your install. Anyway I'm afraid I can't help you with the new audio driver. The only one I could test by myself was 9a6paf's first one and seemed to work fine.

About chameleon.pkg I don't like either. It doesn't let you to choose which disk do you want to install in, and as consequence I've seen a couple of Windows boot loader die because Chameleon replaced them. :P

I prefer doing that kind of installs with terminal.

but the install-textfile isn't that helpful :unsure:

can u assist us?

Looks like it isn't really so good to write instructions in 03:00AM after hours and hours of typing zeroes and ones :wacko::D

try this...

copy DSDT.aml in system's root directory (aka /)

copy com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra

install Acer5920GHDA.kext with Kext Helper

...reboot and see if sound works.

If not, try to delete /Extra/Extensions.mkext with sudo rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext .

If there is still no sound, I will try to reproduce the problem and find the solution. ;)

I'm currently solving issues on one i7+EX58-UD5 system, and found one interesting system patch installer...in next few days maybe one new package could come here :)

Looks like it isn't really so good to write instructions in 03:00AM after hours and hours of typing zeroes and ones :wacko::D

try this...

copy DSDT.aml in system's root directory (aka /)

copy com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra

install Acer5920GHDA.kext with Kext Helper

...reboot and see if sound works.

If not, try to delete /Extra/Extensions.mkext with sudo rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext .

If there is still no sound, I will try to reproduce the problem and find the solution. ;)

I'm currently solving issues on one i7+EX58-UD5 system, and found one interesting system patch installer...in next few days maybe one new package could come here :)

wow,

u do a great job.

THAT'S A GUIDE, i can do this...

but the notice inside your install-textfile confuses me a bit, shall i ignore it.

Notice:

DSDT.aml patch is unfinished, but with this table you can boot and run OS X without Disabler.kext. Since it seems that public sharing smbios.plist have some legal issues, it is not included into the package. But using parameter SMexternalclok 200 (on Intel C2D T7500) seems to make system a little cooler, and the battery is holding system powered about 3h.

that's why i have some questions:

shall i ignore that notice completely and follow your latest post? if not? ...

1.) do i have to erase disabler.kext or can i keep it where it is?

2.) do i need to find/get a smbios.plist, if yes, where shall i put it?

3.) do i need SMexternalclok 200 parameter? if yes, how/where shall i put it in? I am working with Acer 5920G Intel C2D T73[/b]00

and most importantly: is it dangerous/unstable to work with DSDT.aml ? any risks of overheating?

thx a lot guys