Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X

munky

342 posts in this topic

The Chameleon Bootloader that is in the works now that will be released along-side the final version of Voodoo should solve all these issues of timings and clock speed detection errors some pretty hard work is going into it to make it perform a few more tasks that would normally be taken care of by EFI in an actual Mac. So, sit tight it's just around the corner :smoke:

Yaaaay!! :)

Thanks, guys!

:D Sorry for the newbie question. My motherboard is Intel DG965WH (G965 + ICH8R), and use AHCI mode. I'm going to build my own boot-132 cd. Which kexts should i add to the 'Extensions' folder? And which kexts are necessary during installation? which kexts are optional, i can just patch them after Leopard has been installed?

mine says running slimbuild.sh in quiet verbosity mode

its been doing this for a while now.

Ive tried pretty much all of the iso's out there but i kept getting /library/preference/systemconfiguration/com/apple.boot.plist not found, so i resorted to this

i took every item from my extensions folder and put it in the system to create the boot132 iso. Will that work out? I also used the mach_kernel.voodoo as well as my system boot plist...

mine says running slimbuild.sh in quiet verbosity mode

its been doing this for a while now.

Ive tried pretty much all of the iso's out there but i kept getting /library/preference/systemconfiguration/com/apple.boot.plist not found, so i resorted to this

i took every item from my extensions folder and put it in the system to create the boot132 iso. Will that work out? I also used the mach_kernel.voodoo as well as my system boot plist...

If you read this thread somewhere it has a fix for you. I think you hit escape at one of the prompts.

If you read this thread somewhere it has a fix for you. I think you hit escape at one of the prompts.

Ok so, I was able to create the iso image, the problem was that I had files in the folder before inserting them in with slimbuild GUI. But the disk turned out not even being bootable..I dont see how thats possible. Ive tried almost all of the boot 132 images that i could find. I have a dell inspiron e1505 laptop currently running iatkos v4. I have the voodoo kernel, and everything seems to work except for the s-video port, and a couple other things.

Can anyone help me create a specified kext for that specific laptop?

If not i plan on using InstaHackintosh, but i dont want to resort to that...

Ok so, I was able to create the iso image, the problem was that I had files in the folder before inserting them in with slimbuild GUI. But the disk turned out not even being bootable..I dont see how thats possible. Ive tried almost all of the boot 132 images that i could find. I have a dell inspiron e1505 laptop currently running iatkos v4. I have the voodoo kernel, and everything seems to work except for the s-video port, and a couple other things.

Can anyone help me create a specified kext for that specific laptop?

If not i plan on using InstaHackintosh, but i dont want to resort to that...

Try when you get the plist message, F8 then escape...

Hi @ all,

after a sleepless night i think i wan´t to give up. i create a 132 boot cd and the original leo (10.5.1) disk installs fine! the reboot with the created cd is allso ok!

then i want use the update function directly from apple but after reboot the system hangs with panic...something about cpu and once more many "package 0 has no hpet" i see. :(

i don´t know what i must do?

Greets from Germany

Martin

I think disabler.kext fixes that.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t133454.html

Try when you get the plist message, F8 then escape...

doing that had no effect. It just brought be back to the bootloader asking me to type in a number (82)

there is something obviously wrong with the boot132 that ive made, as well as the boot 132's out there. They arent compatible with my system. Someone out there plz help me create an iso that is compatible. Ive read tons of threads, which all say the same thing. I have even tried the grub-dfe bootloader, but no luck.

Can someone please make me a boot 132 iso for a dell inspiron e1505, if not then a inspiron 1525, either is fine. or point me in the write direction of how to successfully create my own. Slimbuild GUI didnt work...

doing that had no effect. It just brought be back to the bootloader asking me to type in a number (82)

there is something obviously wrong with the boot132 that ive made, as well as the boot 132's out there. They arent compatible with my system. Someone out there plz help me create an iso that is compatible. Ive read tons of threads, which all say the same thing. I have even tried the grub-dfe bootloader, but no luck.

Can someone please make me a boot 132 iso for a dell inspiron e1505, if not then a inspiron 1525, either is fine. or point me in the write direction of how to successfully create my own. Slimbuild GUI didnt work...

I will try to help you. But for that to happen, you need to help me. I know nothing about your system, and Insperion 1525 meens nothing to me. What CPU does it have? AMD, or Intel, C2D or???

If you know you can't run the vanilla kernel, what kernel did you place in the Slimbuild Kernel folder? Exactly how was it named? did you folow the mach_kernel.xxx naming convention?

Your symptoms sound like one of two things. Either the system is not finding the kernel or the input sequence was wrong. It would help if you described for me the exact sequence of keys you typed at each prompt - starting with the first one from the slimbuild cd.

I will try to help you. But for that to happen, you need to help me. I know nothing about your system, and Insperion 1525 meens nothing to me. What CPU does it have? AMD, or Intel, C2D or???

If you know you can't run the vanilla kernel, what kernel did you place in the Slimbuild Kernel folder? Exactly how was it named? did you folow the mach_kernel.xxx naming convention?

Your symptoms sound like one of two things. Either the system is not finding the kernel or the input sequence was wrong. It would help if you described for me the exact sequence of keys you typed at each prompt - starting with the first one from the slimbuild cd.

specs: The E1505 reviewed here was configured as follows:

Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 at 2.0 GHz per core.

15.4" Ultrasharp SXGA+ display with TrueLife

512MB DDR2 533MHz RAM in dual channel mode

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

100GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

8X DVD +/- dual layer recorder

53 watt-hour 6-cell battery

Inspiron 1525:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)

3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 (2 Dimms)

Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

CD / DVD Writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam

6 cell battery

Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition

The above specs are correct thanks Ursal.

ok so i downloaded slimbuild gui from the internet, dont no the exact site b/c i downloaded at least 4 different types since none of them worked, it basically has all of the folders plus an install called the gui. I went to my hardrive extensions folder and literally copied every one into the extensions of the slimbuild. For the kernel i used mach_kernel.voodoo. I didnt see any use for the command prompt, since the gui installer did this for me. For the input sequence i used -f cpus=1 and -legacy. I tried -x -s -v basically all i could think of and differnet variations between those. Thanks in advance

ok so i downloaded slimbuild gui from the internet, dont no the exact site b/c i downloaded at least 4 different types since none of them worked, it basically has all of the folders plus an install called the gui. I went to my hardrive extensions folder and literally copied every one into the extensions of the slimbuild. For the kernel i used mach_kernel.voodoo. I didnt see any use for the command prompt, since the gui installer did this for me. For the input sequence i used -f cpus=1 and -legacy. I tried -x -s -v basically all i could think of and differnet variations between those. Thanks in advance

Forget I even talked about the inspiron 1525, at this point, i am not going to use it for this project. Just the inspiron e1505

Thanks Bladerunner,

I made a slimbuild cd for my DFI Blood Iron and it worked great except for audio. I don't know why the audio did not work because I thought I had the right kexts in there. My solution was to apply the audio fix to my 10.5.4 retail install. Apple software update worked great but broke my audio again. I just reapplied the audio patch and everything looked good again except for Bon Jour... I wish that worked to share my iTunes songs. Do you know how to fix Bon Jour? Anyway, your suggestion of using disabler.kext got me over the major problem I was having with my install. I was not even aware of that kext. My next project is trying to put an awesome bootloader on my HD so I no longer need the CD.

cheers!

PS. Thanks Galaxy for slimbuild and Thanks PCwiz for the GUI!

@Bladerunner

I think the problem may be that I am using a restore disk instead of a retail version. I have a retail version that boot up until the grey apple screen but then it tells me that my computer needs to restart. The disk is pretty old and scratched up. Is there anyway of getting a single layer iso online that will work like the retail version? aka torrents...

@Bladerunner

I think the problem may be that I am using a restore disk instead of a retail version. I have a retail version that boot up until the grey apple screen but then it tells me that my computer needs to restart. The disk is pretty old and scratched up. Is there anyway of getting a single layer iso online that will work like the retail version? aka torrents...

Yes, restore disks are for specific Mac models.

Make your you add disabler.kext to your slimbuild CD. That fixed my restart message>

Yes, restore disks are for specific Mac models.

Make your you add disabler.kext to your slimbuild CD. That fixed my restart message>

So your saying that even though the disk is scratched up, since its able to get to the grey apple screen that not having disabler.kext is the issue.

If so thanks

Forget I even talked about the inspiron 1525, at this point, i am not going to use it for this project. Just the inspiron e1505

Well, I hardly know where to start. Between you and Ursal there has been quite a converstaion while I was busy doing chores. I know I can't cover all those points.

First thing to correct is the content of the slimbuild extensions folder. Copying everything from an old installation is a bad idea.. You are attempting to build a pre-boot cd that will allow you to boot a retail DVD, install a vanilla system and then override the minimum number of kext required to run the system.

You need to start with a short list like the following:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
AppleDecrypt.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
IOATAFamily.kext
SMBIOSResolver.kext

Your list won't be exactly the same, but you should get the idea. The list you need will depend on two things. First your hardware configuration, and second, the version of your retail DVD. Fro example, if you have a 10.5.1 dvd you will need a System.kext that matches a mach_kernel.modbin kernel. The newer mach_kernel.voodoo is for 10.5.4+ and may cause problems with an older dvd. I know it does with mine.

Now, for the input sequence when you try to boot the retail dvd. And, no, I can't tell you where to get one on-line. I bought mine from amazon.com. You should purchase one too - Apple needs to make money too. When you boot the slimbuild cd and see the first prompt press F8. Then press Esc. you should now see a prompt asking for a hex drive ID. At this point, eject the cd and insert the DVD. Don't type anything for a few seconds. Wait for the drive activity to stop.

Take the default drive ID by pressing Enter. When you see the next prompt, press F8. You should see the DVD boot prompt which will identify the retail OS X Install dvd. At this point you enter something like the following:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -v rd=diskXsY						 or, use 
rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -v  boot-uuid=the-uuid-for-your-dvd

You get the uuid for the dvd by using disk utility -> Info on a running OS X. UUID is preferred because it is constant and the diskXsY form can change from one boot to the next.

What you are doing here is to identify the specific kernel to boot and the specific partition to boot from. Also, wile you are experimenting as you are now, you should always use the -v kernel flag. If you see the gray Apple boot screen, important messages are hidden and you can't tell what is happening.

I wish you luck in your efforts.

@ Usal

Thank you very much. My frustration of figuring out how to boot the retail disk is finally over.

To everyone else having issues, just use the basic generic.iso and add the kext mentioned above. just look it up on google, if you dont already have it.

I loaded up the image with cpus=1 and -f

thanks a lot

~Now I just need to get the installation correct, and hopefully I'll be set.

P.S to all you noobs, the disk takes a while to boot up, so dont get discouraged

Ok i need to start from scratch. I've been trying for a couple months now and haven't had success yet. I was able to boot the install DVD once using -f -x, install, then boot to the welcome screen, but it froze when i was putting in my info. I haven't been able to get it to work again since. I'm hoping to create as vanilla an install as i can so as to be able to use Apple's software update without fear. I'm just not sure how to put all the various methods and components together to do it for my system. I know it's not exactly vanilla, but it seems that using the voodoo kernel along with the soon to be released chameleon (wasn't it supposed to be released in conjunction with voodoo?) may be the way to go. I just need to be able to load kexts and kernel from an alternate location on boot to allow for apple updates. I know i need some DSDT things in there too, but isn't that included in the new chameleon? And doesn't the voodoo kernel eliminate the need for disabler kexts? Anyway, if somebody smarter than I could tell me if A) this is the best method for me, and 2) if so, where should i start? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. I'd like to have everything working (profiler, about this mac, sleep, etc), while having as clean an install as i can (no unecessary kexts or patches). I know i need NVkush and ALC888 kexts, and I need dsmos and disabler at least until i can get voodoo in there, which if use boot 132 won't be until i can install and update (using a 10.5.0 disk). Sorry i'm starting to ramble i think. I'm grateful for any help, and if more info is needed let me know. Thanks!

Oh and i also know about setting info.plists to root and increasing the version (thanks BR and Galaxy). So where should i start? I think i'm just getting things mixed up. Wherever possible I'd like to use installers for any patches to save me from any more frustration than necessary.

Then run the slimbuild script as root:

cd /dir/to/slimbuild

sudo ./slimbuild.sh

Please read the output and make sure you got no errors. Then look in the ISO directory and you should have a shiny new Boot-132 CD 

All work by Galaxy, i'm just the messenger Enjoy!

I've copied the *.ext to extension folder

and the mach_kernel to kernel folder

I did run the  slimbuild2.sh without any error!

so I did burn the .iso

after the reboot cd is booting. initrd.img loading fine

Press F8 or any key

Than a message System Config /library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found

what went wrong?

How to get it work right?

• 3 weeks later...
I've copied the *.ext to extension folder

and the mach_kernel to kernel folder

I did run the slimbuild2.sh without any error!

so I did burn the .iso

after the reboot cd is booting. initrd.img loading fine

Press F8 or any key

Than a message System Config /library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found

what went wrong?

How to get it work right?

I basically did the same thing.

Drug all my .kext's from an OXS86 Tools extension backup to the SlimbuildGUI (Just .kext's no folders or anything else, there were a bunch), didn't add a kernel nor plist. It says optional, so I'm assuming it's not mandatory. And burnt the ISO. Then same thing happened to me when I tried to boot it.

"Press F8 or any key

Than a message System Config /library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found"

I'm currently running JAS Server 10.5.4 (without server), I think 9.4.0 Vanilla kernel.

Asus P5E X38 Intel Quad Core Q9650

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's my latest and final iteration of "SlimBuild" under that moniker. It now contains a fairly indepth readme and should be much easier to utilize now that there is an instruction manual for it :(

Here's my latest and final iteration of "SlimBuild" under that moniker. It now contains a fairly indepth readme and should be much easier to utilize now that there is an instruction manual for it ;)

~Galaxy,

I had not noticed this previously, but the slimbuild.final directory must reside on a drive which has ownership enabled. If this is placed in a persons home directory it won't be a problem. However, if placed on a work drive without ownership enabled, the script will fail with the following messages.

Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext -- permissions set.
Extensions/System.kext -- permissions set.
All extensions have proper permissions for meta-kernel extension cache creation.
Performing kextcache operation, please wait a moment...
Meta-kernel extension cache creation failed! Aborting!

Maybe a note in the Readme would be a good idea.

~Galaxy,

I had not noticed this previously, but the slimbuild.final directory must reside on a drive which has ownership enabled. If this is placed in a persons home directory it won't be a problem. However, if placed on a work drive without ownership enabled, the script will fail with the following messages.

Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext -- permissions set.
Extensions/System.kext -- permissions set.
All extensions have proper permissions for meta-kernel extension cache creation.
Performing kextcache operation, please wait a moment...
Meta-kernel extension cache creation failed! Aborting!

Maybe a note in the Readme would be a good idea.

By default most drives are which is why i haven't made much of a fuss about it. This issue has been taken care of in VoodooPreboot with a vsdbutil check :thumbsup_anim: if the script detects that drive permissions are not enabled it will enable them automatically to save any issues with kernel extension permissions.