Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X

munky

342 posts in this topic

after the reboot cd is booting. initrd.img loading fine

Press F8 or any key

Than a message System Config /library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found

The same situation here with the untouched generic.iso and the boot-kabyl-blupy.iso.

Installation goes up to the "beach ball" on aurora background without any further activity.

What is wrong here?

My System:

Core2Quad

Asus P5E

4xHDD DVD - all SATA, AHCI Enabled

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Okay, Here is the deal. I have used Slimbuild on a real Mac OS X 10.5.1 and it generates the iso. I then went to see if everything was good to go. I guess I might be blind. But when I open the initrd.img file there is nothing there. and when I attempt to remake the iso I get an error saying it cannot open this file. did I miss a step or is there a permissions issue I need to resolve. Also the disk boots okay but I never get past a black screen. The last message I see is about a CPU multiplier and then It goes black.

I am attempting to install this on a Dell precision 370. Specs here:

Intel P4 3.40GHz

4GB Ram

40GB HD SATA

DVD/CDRW ATA

Intel 925X Express chipset

Using Mac OS X 10.5.1 Retail.

Any help is useful.

Thanks,

Did you add your kexts files you need to boot up that Dell machine? Also because it's a P4 I think you need to do some stuff to get it to work on that machine. Slimbuild was first designed to work on Core2duo cpu's and then Munky modified it to work on Pentium 4 and its derivatives (including Celeron D and Pentium D) cpu's, Actually cpu's that only support SSE2 and not SSE3. Checkout THIS THREAD I think this will send you in the right direction.

Chevy

Okay, Here is the deal. I have used Slimbuild on a real Mac OS X 10.5.1 and it generates the iso. I then went to see if everything was good to go. I guess I might be blind. But when I open the initrd.img file there is nothing there. and when I attempt to remake the iso I get an error saying it cannot open this file. did I miss a step or is there a permissions issue I need to resolve. Also the disk boots okay but I never get past a black screen. The last message I see is about a CPU multiplier and then It goes black.

I am attempting to install this on a Dell precision 370. Specs here:

Intel P4 3.40GHz

4GB Ram

40GB HD SATA

DVD/CDRW ATA

Intel 925X Express chipset

Using Mac OS X 10.5.1 Retail.

Any help is useful.

Thanks,

If you use a patched kernel like mach_kernel.modbin in the slimbuild Kernel directory you should be able to boot the 10.5.1 install dvd on a P4 system. That is what I have and it works just fine.

Also, you will need to make sure you are running the script as root or it won't work. Some of the files are hidden. to see what is really there, mount the iso and also the initrd.img file and then use the command line "ls -l " command in a terminal session.

To use, unzip somewhere, and place your kexts in 'Extensions' and, optionally, a kernel in 'Kernel'. (This can be named anything which starts 'mach_kernel' - so mach_kernel, mach_kernel.patched, mach_kernel.voodoo or whatever).

Then run the slimbuild script as root:

cd /dir/to/slimbuild

sudo ./slimbuild.sh

A really quick question.

If I want to use the files provided by someone else,link (from WinstonAce) to make my own iso using this method, I'm confused about the difference between the individual kext files and the Extensions.mkext file. Do just the kext files go into the Extensions folder? If so, what do I do with the Extensions.mkext file (if anything)

Thanks!

A really quick question.

If I want to use the files provided by someone else,link (from WinstonAce) to make my own iso using this method, I'm confused about the difference between the individual kext files and the Extensions.mkext file. Do just the kext files go into the Extensions folder? If so, what do I do with the Extensions.mkext file (if anything)

Thanks!

When I did this, I placed the kext files in the Extensions folder and did not use the .mkext file. The slimbuild script will make a new .mkext file for you.

Thanks very much. I'll try it right now.

I still get the same kernel panic as before. I'm really unclear what is causing it but I'm going to try to learn a little more. Since the grub-dfe.iso worked to the extent that I could install and reboot with the disk in place, maybe that's the solution. I don't understand the difference between a pre-made boot132.iso and the grub-dfe.iso but I have this desire to get the boot132 working (like everyone else).

Thanks for your suggestions.

I still get the same kernel panic as before. I'm really unclear what is causing it but I'm going to try to learn a little more. Since the grub-dfe.iso worked to the extent that I could install and reboot with the disk in place, maybe that's the solution. I don't understand the difference between a pre-made boot132.iso and the grub-dfe.iso but I have this desire to get the boot132 working (like everyone else).

Thanks for your suggestions.

same here. have reboot, with voodoo 9.5.0. trying install retail 10.5.4. in 132 booter with same kexts and kernel all is ok. thank you anyway

P.s. Last what i can see is something about cpu multilplayer... bla bla bla... system reboot

• 3 weeks later...

Ok i'm getting ready to jump in and try this again to do a vanilla install. One thing i want to make sure of and ask first is are there any issues using a 10.5.0 install DVD? Also, I have a pretty compatible system, but I don't see many people using an IP35 Pro motherboard. Is there anything I should consider when making a boot cd for this board? Everything on the board seems to work otb except for audio, which isn't needed on the boot cd anyway. I think i may need a modified USB kext, but I'm not sure. I've never had a problem booting any of the various distros, but could not for the life of me get this method to work, and I think a USB issue may be why. Finally, if I'm using gfx strings for my video card, all i should need to do is copy my boot.plist file into the appropriate slimbuild folder, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not have an access to osx, so i cannot really use slimbuild, and those prebuilt boot-132 did not worked for my Dell D630.

the retail osx turned out to be 10.5.6 (mac in the box)

would it possible someone build a boot-132 for D630?

specs

X3100 bult-in intel graphic hardware (laptop GMA965??)

core2duo 2.2Ghz

2Gbyte

SATA hdd

kext for D630

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86600

Thank you

• 5 weeks later...

I would be greatly appreciated if anyone would be able to tell me how to incorporate a dsdt.aml into this. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and because it has a GMA X3100 Graphics card, a dsdt.aml is required in order for the screen to come on after booting into OS X. When I try to boot a retail OS X install disc, I see the boot screen (Gray apple and spinning icon below it) but then the screen goes black when its done loading. Any help is needed on this. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Update: switched to the v2.0 final download :D

Hi,

It is my pleasure to introduce Galaxy's great slimbuild package. This lets you easily create boot-132 CDs with your choice of kexts and optional kernel.

To use, unzip somewhere, and place your kexts in 'Extensions' and, optionally, a kernel in 'Kernel'. (This can be named anything which starts 'mach_kernel' - so mach_kernel, mach_kernel.patched, mach_kernel.voodoo or whatever).

Then run the slimbuild script as root:

cd /dir/to/slimbuild

sudo ./slimbuild.sh

Please read the output and make sure you got no errors. Then look in the ISO directory and you should have a shiny new Boot-132 CD :)

All work by Galaxy, i'm just the messenger :P Enjoy!

v2.0 Download

I was wondering if you can help i tryd to run the script but it didnt work. so i dragged the slimbuild.sh in terminal and it aborted after meta_kernal extensions any suggestions? thanks

I was wondering if you can help i tryd to run the script but it didnt work. so i dragged the slimbuild.sh in terminal and it aborted after meta_kernal extensions any suggestions? thanks

Are you sure you were running as root?

Has anyone gotten a good cd for booting snow leopard? I've tried substituting netkas's updated boot that has the x64 mode to it, and all I get are "kernel overflows available space" errors before it dies.

Guys I really need some help

I'm new to this hackintosh stuff and I would like to know how to make it work on an Intel Pentium 4.

I already have my retail dvd.

What now?

Can someone pleaseeee help me out ? xD

:D

Guys I really need some help

I'm new to this hackintosh stuff and I would like to know how to make it work on an Intel Pentium 4.

I already have my retail dvd.

What now?

Can someone pleaseeee help me out ? xD

:D

Well, thing is, you don't say what you have read, tried, done or give any clue as to what type of help you need.

Makes it a bit hard to know where to start don't you know.

• 3 weeks later...

I've created an .iso and added Chameleon via UInstall.app. I've added a set of custom .kexts to the .iso, but no kernel, .plists or anything like that.

When I boot from the USB stick I get an error that com.apple.boot.plist is missing. I am able to F8 back to the Darwin boot: menu which shows Slimbuild-Preboot. Swapping the flash drive for a retail image on USB and trying to boot goes back to the .plist error. I've tried pressing escape at the boot: menu but it usually bombs out immediately, nowhere to enter hex codes.

It seems that more than one person on this thread has experienced this issue, but I can't find a solution here or on Google. Any help appreciated, as I can't help feeling that Slimbuild would - in theory - be by far the best installation method if I can get past this error.