Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X

munky

342 posts in this topic

Update: switched to the v2.0 final download :wallbash:

Hi,

It is my pleasure to introduce Galaxy's great slimbuild package. This lets you easily create boot-132 CDs with your choice of kexts and optional kernel.

To use, unzip somewhere, and place your kexts in 'Extensions' and, optionally, a kernel in 'Kernel'. (This can be named anything which starts 'mach_kernel' - so mach_kernel, mach_kernel.patched, mach_kernel.voodoo or whatever).

Then run the slimbuild script as root:

cd /dir/to/slimbuild

sudo ./slimbuild.sh

Please read the output and make sure you got no errors. Then look in the ISO directory and you should have a shiny new Boot-132 CD :P

All work by Galaxy, i'm just the messenger ;) Enjoy!

v2.0 Download

in order to utilize a hacked kernel to boot your retail dvd take note of the name of your kernel ie mach_kernel.voodoo or just mach_kernel if you chose to name it that. at the darwin boot prompt simply enter rd(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo as the first boot flag, it MUST be before any other flags as this is the convention for specifying a kernel to boot-132 and boot up as usual! Note the ramdisk number *may* vary so if rd(0,0) does not work try rd(0,1). Good Luck!

~Galaxy

in order to utilize a hacked kernel to boot your retail dvd take note of the name of your kernel ie mach_kernel.voodoo or just mach_kernel if you chose to name it that. at the darwin boot prompt simply enter rd(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo as the first boot flag, it MUST be before any other flags as this is the convention for specifying a kernel to boot-132 and boot up as usual! Note the ramdisk number *may* vary so if rd(0,0) does not work try rd(0,1). Good Luck!

~Galaxy

Also Special Thanks to Galaxy ;)

Sorry for the newbie question. I was reading about the Boot 132 method and it only works on intel chipsets. Does anyone know if its possable to install on a board with a via chipset ?

I just don't want to install updates and worry about my mac not booting after next reboot...

absolutely! the prebooting method isn't limited to any specific chipset or processor or system for that matter. the payload is only what you add in yourself to make it. some systems need more drivers to support booting up than others while some require relatively few drivers. it all depends on what your system needs to get off the ground

Yes, you should to know what kext your hardware need to run OS X properly.

And with the new Voodoo's on-the-fly AMD support, it will be also avaible for AMD systems.

Anyway, thanks for this good script ~Galaxy.

PS: if you have a good results with you ISO, you can share it for the next: (i hope it does not look like kind of promotion :wacko: )

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114834

lol :) The GUI for this won't be that hard because there's only 3 steps: Copy kernel (optional), copy extensions, and run script. Simple but very effective.

EDIT: munky could you convey my message to Galaxy? Don't know where to find him...

I've given PCWiz the go ahead to make a gui version for slimbuild. This should curb any fears that some of the users newer to the scene have towards using a shell script to build the boot-132 disks for their system. In the future this may be the only release but for the time being slimbuild will be available in shell script form and gui form for users of varying expertise levels. Good luck with the testing everyone! 104 downloads and counting!

UPDATE: On a side note it appears that users may have an issue where the preboot cd will only boot itself if this issue appears for you at the darwin boot prompt that shows "Slimbuild-Preboot" hit the ESC key and you can then eject the preboot disk and nsert your retail disk and enter the proper device hex code. In the future a graphical boot selector will be available to simplify this process. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

InstaHackintosh is designed for creating a hacked install disk. Slimbuild's purpose is to provide the user with a preboot disk which can boot an unmodified retail install DVD.

One thing to note however, I will be doing a guide up on this soon, is that certain kernel extensions are already present in the dvd. In the case of things like IOATAFamily etc. one needs to make some minute modifications to their extra extensions by either increasing (or adding) a probe score and or increasing the version number of the extension in question such that it loads instead of the vanilla driver present on the system. There is also another concept whereby one can use a plist only kernel extension to simply extend the matching functionality of a certain vanilla driver that needs no binary modifications. The plist only method works for any extensions which don't require a binary modification. The IOKit is a fairly flexible system in such cases.

In the end there are many ways to do an install, this is just another path a user can choose to take its particularly useful for people who don't want to mess around with building new disks downloading hundreds of MB worth of updates and repackaging things. Many of the people who have had me make preboot disks in the past did so due to bandwidth limitations or simply not wanting to download large sums of data to recreate things, in any case the more ways to do things the more options the end user has and that is why Slimbuild exists :pirate2:

STLVNUB, im surprised at you. Its not about who is a 'winner'. There are many different ways of installing Leopard on a PC, and many different types of user. InstaHackintosh is great for a certain class of user. Unmodifie retail installs are great for another, potentially overlapping, class of user.

I'll chalk this one up to misunderstanding - Galaxy meant no offence by saying InstaHackintosh creates 'hacked' discs. But the point I think you have to concede is that it creates at least *modified* discs. Sure, its only modifying them with apple updates and wotnot, but you cant deny that a lot of people want to walk into an Apple Store, buy Leopard and bring it home and install it.

STLVNUB, Why respond like this? :)

Are people not free to make choices, must there only be one method to do everything and damn the rest. I see nothing wrong with you pointing out exactly what your script does, but comments like "And the winner is....." and "Which would you prefer???" seem unnecessary. Surely we can accept that different people have different requirement. Is it not better that people who write such scripts are aloud to share ideas openly. After all, would INSTAHackintosh even exist if it wasn't for such principles.

I wish both STLVNUB and ~Galaxy well.