Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X

munky

342 posts in this topic

As far as the blank CD is concerned, why not invest in a few CD-RW and just erase and rewrite the same one until you get it to work?

I assume you are attempting to get a retail dvd to boot for an install. Correct? It looks like you have a group of kext that should do the job. So, let's look at the sequence you use to boot the slimbuild cd and then boot the install dvd. Can you describe how you boot the slimbuild cd and then swap to the install dvd? what you type at each prompt etc..?

Yes, sorry...I knew there would be something I was missing. I am using a Retail DVD.

The sequence I'm using is:

Boot with Boot132 dvd.

Get to the darwin prompt, hit F8, then hit esc. to bring up the boot volume screen.

Swap the retail dvd into the same drive and hit enter.

I think there was another enter in there to confirm the boot volume, but I can't remember exactly.

Hit F8 at the prompt.

type -v (and the last time -f)

hit enter.

System flies through the first part of the boot, the screen adjusts about halfway through, and keeps going until just after the ethernet autonegotiation, and nothing.

Yes, sorry...I knew there would be something I was missing. I am using a Retail DVD.

The sequence I'm using is:

Boot with Boot132 dvd.

Get to the darwin prompt, hit F8, then hit esc. to bring up the boot volume screen.

Swap the retail dvd into the same drive and hit enter.

I think there was another enter in there to confirm the boot volume, but I can't remember exactly.

Hit F8 at the prompt.

type -v (and the last time -f)

hit enter.

System flies through the first part of the boot, the screen adjusts about halfway through, and keeps going until just after the ethernet autonegotiation, and nothing.

OK! I think there is something missing. When the retail dvd prompt is displayed and you press F8,

you entered -v. You also need to enter the pointer to the install dvd. Like this:

-v  rd=disk1s3   -- assuming your optical drive shows up as disk1 -- or
-v boot-uuid=xxx-yyy-uuid-for-your-install-dvd

The boot-uuid= method is preferred because the uuid can't change and the disk# can. You get the uuid by inserting the install dvd (under OS X) and then with disk utility -> select the install dvd -> clisk the "i" info icon in the upper left of the disk utility panel.

OK! I think there is something missing. When the retail dvd prompt is displayed and you press F8,

you entered -v. You also need to enter the pointer to the install dvd. Like this:

-v  rd=disk1s3   -- assuming your optical drive shows up as disk1 -- or
  -v boot-uuid=xxx-yyy-uuid-for-your-install-dvd

The boot-uuid= method is preferred because the uuid can't change and the disk# can. You get the uuid by inserting the install dvd (under OS X) and then with disk utility -> select the install dvd -> clisk the "i" info icon in the upper left of the disk utility panel.

Ok, I'll give that a try tonight. I thought I read that I only needed to do that with a non SSE3 cpu, but I was apparently confused.

EDIT: since nobody has posted below, I'll just edit this in. I tried the uuid approach, and I got the dreaded "still waiting for root device" error. So, I remembered reading some items about enabling AHCI, which I did, but got to an "invalid UUID" error, even though I triple checked it before I hit entered. That said, I'm not about to think that it's not my fault yet, I just don't have any more time to mess with it tonight...thus I will try, try again tomorrow .

Thanks for the help.

Scott

I must be retarded as I cannot get this to work. And I dont know how to find my CD drive hex code to tell the boot loader where the dvd is. When I cd into the dir and run the sudo ./slimbuild.sh I get a SlimBuild v2.0 ©Galaxy 2008.

ERROR: THIS SCRIPT MUST BE RUN AS ROOT!

USAGE: sudo ./slimbuild.sh

I dont know much about the command line but I guess I did gain root access by typing SU and PW but it shows up as sh-3.2#

Please help.

Also I found another one here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=35649 but in spanish, it worked but the ISO file was zero KB after adding my kexts

##### MKEXT CREATION PHASE #####

Permissions are being set for the following extensions:

Extensions/ALCinject.kext

Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Extensions/AppleYukon2.kext

Extensions/NVinject.kext

Permissions set for meta-kernel extension cache creation.

Performing kextcache operation, please wait a moment...

Meta-kernel extension cache created successfully.

##### RAMDISK CREATION PHASE #####

Determining proper RAMDISK file size.

Meta-kernel extension detected with size 212992 bytes.

Kernel binary not present in Kernel.

Total RAMDISK size will be less than the minimum size.

RAMDISK of the minimum size will be created.

Creating RAMDISK image file...

created: /slimbuild/Contents/initrd.dmg

RAMDISK image created successfully.

##### RAMDISK FILE POPULATION PHASE #####

/dev/disk5 Apple_partition_scheme

/dev/disk5s1 Apple_partition_map

/dev/disk5s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/initrd

RAMDISK directory tree created successfully.

Copying meta-kernel extension file to the RAMDISK.

"disk5" unmounted.

"disk5" ejected.

RAMDISK image populated successfully.

##### BOOTABLE ISO CREATION PHASE #####

Creating El-Torito bootable ISO, please wait a moment...

rm: ISO/SlimBuild-Preboot.iso: No such file or directory

Ok, I'll give that a try tonight. I thought I read that I only needed to do that with a non SSE3 cpu, but I was apparently confused.

EDIT: since nobody has posted below, I'll just edit this in. I tried the uuid approach, and I got the dreaded "still waiting for root device" error. So, I remembered reading some items about enabling AHCI, which I did, but got to an "invalid UUID" error, even though I triple checked it before I hit entered. That said, I'm not about to think that it's not my fault yet, I just don't have any more time to mess with it tonight...thus I will try, try again tomorrow .

Thanks for the help.

Scott

The "still waiting" message could have happened because some of the slimbuild Extensions failed to load. I have also seen a few people that had sata drives say that adding the IOATAFamily.kext to their Extensions resolved the problem. Not sure why that should work, but it doesn't cost much to give it a try.

Good luck.

The "still waiting" message could have happened because some of the slimbuild Extensions failed to load. I have also seen a few people that had sata drives say that adding the IOATAFamily.kext to their Extensions resolved the problem. Not sure why that should work, but it doesn't cost much to give it a try.

Good luck.

Well, I got exactly two lines further than I was originally once I finally got the UUID typed in correctly. So, from my first post, The two more lines were about the ethernet controller (not errors, just the mac address listings for my two ethernet ports.)

I already had the IOATAFamily.kext in my iso, so no dice there. Pretty much stuck, and getting frustrated with it.

I may go ahead and install my new drive, and remote install the OS on the drive, then use Munky's method for the efi boot partition, bypassing the boot132 alltogether. That may not fix my issue, but I'd be working in a more fluid environment, able to add and subtract kexts more easily. still, the thing that puzzles me is that with the exception of nvkush, I'm using the same set of kexts that I boot my Leo4all installation with everday. Guess I could try just taking the NVkush out, and install the Nvidia kexts post OSX installation, assuming that is my issue.

Thanks again for the help. I'll get there one way or the other, as I don't think there's anything inherent to my system that should cause an issue.

Scott

Success!! It was apparently NVkush, because I just ran the original vanilla Boot132 (+ the iofamily.kext, and dsmos.kext) iso, and I was able to boot into the installer, and then into a freshly installed retail disk Leopard.

I just went through the process to install Munky's EFI bootloader, and tried adding only NVkush again... and guess what...same issue, so it was definitely the NVkush not working.

Anyway, I've booted back to my Leo4all partition to pull NVkush back out, and try a different Nvidia driver, but my issues with the boot 132 have been solved so I thought I should post my results.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

can anyone help? still cant get it to work. 9f does nothing and 7f rebutes the machine?

try ef (if you have SATA DVD drive).

You do not have to enter hex manually.

Just press F8, press ESC, swap the disks, wait for a while (to load the disk) press ENTER.

By the way, how many disk drives do you have?

I noticed this

##### RAMDISK FILE POPULATION PHASE #####

/dev/disk5 Apple_partition_scheme

/dev/disk5s1 Apple_partition_map

/dev/disk5s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/initrd

RAMDISK directory tree created successfully.

Copying meta-kernel extension file to the RAMDISK.

"disk5" unmounted.

"disk5" ejected.

RAMDISK image populated successfully.

disk5? Do you have 6 drives by any chance? Or is it connected to the 6th SATA port?

Ok well I've been working on this for about 12 hours straight and it's time to ask for help. I keep getting an error that com.apple.boot.plist can't be found. I've read every page of this thread and i think that means my kexts are wrong or aren't loading correctly. I'm trying to install on a IP35 Pro with a Q6600. Now even if i was able to get past this error, I really have no idea what to type. From what i understand, I need to specify the drive and partition to boot from? I'm not sure how to find that. I would actually much rather go with the boot.plist method if somebody could explain that to me (sorry if it's been explained. I feel like i'm on information overload right now). Currently I have iDeneb 1.3 installed. I'm using vanilla kernel with the following kexts:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

ALCInjext.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

NVkush.kext

...with the retail DVD of course. My goal is to get this done and store the kexts in the EFI partition. If there's any other info you need let me know. Please help me out here. I'm going to go curl up in the fetal position in the corner now... I think my eyes are bleeding.

Ok well I've been working on this for about 12 hours straight and it's time to ask for help. I keep getting an error that com.apple.boot.plist can't be found. I've read every page of this thread and i think that means my kexts are wrong or aren't loading correctly. I'm trying to install on a IP35 Pro with a Q6600. Now even if i was able to get past this error, I really have no idea what to type. From what i understand, I need to specify the drive and partition to boot from? I'm not sure how to find that. I would actually much rather go with the boot.plist method if somebody could explain that to me (sorry if it's been explained. I feel like i'm on information overload right now). Currently I have iDeneb 1.3 installed. I'm using vanilla kernel with the following kexts:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

ALCInjext.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

NVkush.kext

...with the retail DVD of course. My goal is to get this done and store the kexts in the EFI partition. If there's any other info you need let me know. Please help me out here. I'm going to go curl up in the fetal position in the corner now... I think my eyes are bleeding.

At what point do you get this error? When you boot the slimbuild cd or when you try to boot the retail dvd?

At what point do you get this error? When you boot the slimbuild cd or when you try to boot the retail dvd?

Ok after carefully rereading your post on page 5 of this thread i got the Install DVD to boot. Turns out that boot.plist error was no big deal. it was just the first point to hit F8. However the Install DVD hangs on the grey apple screen. Booting with -v shows it gets stuck on a "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" loop with a "still waiting for root device" thrown in every so often. Still not sure i don't need to type something else in. I just went with the default df and hit enter F8 enter. Thanks for the fast reply btw =)

Ok after carefully rereading your post on page 5 of this thread i got the Install DVD to boot. Turns out that boot.plist error was no big deal. it was just the first point to hit F8. However the Install DVD hangs on the grey apple screen. Booting with -v shows it gets stuck on a "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" loop with a "still waiting for root device" thrown in every so often. Still not sure i don't need to type something else in. I just went with the default df and hit enter F8 enter. Thanks for the fast reply btw =)

OK! Yes, you do need to type more. at the second "F8", assuming you use a vanilla kernel, you still need to type something like:

-v rd=diskXsY

or

-v boot-uuid=asdfg-zxcvb-??

You need to identify which partition is being booted. If you know which /dev/diskX is normally used for your dvd drive then you can use that. It is less typing :) The best, of course, is to use the boot-uuid= because it will never change. To get the uuid value, running some version of OS X, insert the install dvd - start diskutility - select the dvd in the left panel - select the "I" info icon in the upper left of the disk utility panel.

If you use the diskXsY form for a retail dvd it woll look something like "disk1s3". I believe the retail dvd partition is always "3".

OK! Yes, you do need to type more. at the second "F8", assuming you use a vanilla kernel, you still need to type something like:

-v rd=diskXsY

or

-v boot-uuid=asdfg-zxcvb-??

You need to identify which partition is being booted. If you know which /dev/diskX is normally used for your dvd drive then you can use that. It is less typing :angel: The best, of course, is to use the boot-uuid= because it will never change. To get the uuid value, running some version of OS X, insert the install dvd - start diskutility - select the dvd in the left panel - select the "I" info icon in the upper left of the disk utility panel.

If you use the diskXsY form for a retail dvd it woll look something like "disk1s3". I believe the retail dvd partition is always "3".

hmmm. Now if you're referring to the diskutility included on the retail disk that could be a problem as i can't get it to boot :rolleyes: I do have an iDeneb disk i can get into, but i don't recall the DVD drive showing up in the sidebar when i used it to format (did this because i read the retail disc won't boot if it detects MBR?). However i checked my hdd's and they are 0 and 1, respectively. would that make my DVD drive 2? How would i find the UUID? Oh and they're all SATA.

Just confirmed that my HDD's are devices 0 and 1 and my DVD drive doesn't show up using diskutil on iDeneb. I'm also using IDE SATA controller because AHCI doesn't recognize the boot disc. Not sure if that's relevant.

disk2s3 didnn't work. same HPET and waiting for root device issue.

just checked in BIOS and my DVD drive is actually SATA Channel 2 and my 2nd HDD is SATA Channel 3.

reinstalled iDeneb and checked DiskUtil. DVD drive should be disk5s3, however i used that and am still getting the HPET and Still waiting for root device. Do i need the jmicronATA kext?

hmmm. Now if you're referring to the diskutility included on the retail disk that could be a problem as i can't get it to boot :D I do have an iDeneb disk i can get into, but i don't recall the DVD drive showing up in the sidebar when i used it to format (did this because i read the retail disc won't boot if it detects MBR?). However i checked my hdd's and they are 0 and 1, respectively. would that make my DVD drive 2? How would i find the UUID? Oh and they're all SATA.

Just confirmed that my HDD's are devices 0 and 1 and my DVD drive doesn't show up using diskutil on iDeneb. I'm also using IDE SATA controller because AHCI doesn't recognize the boot disc. Not sure if that's relevant.

disk2s3 didnn't work. same HPET and waiting for root device issue.

just checked in BIOS and my DVD drive is actually SATA Channel 2 and my 2nd HDD is SATA Channel 3.

reinstalled iDeneb and checked DiskUtil. DVD drive should be disk5s3, however i used that and am still getting the HPET and Still waiting for root device. Do i need the jmicronATA kext?

If you still have iDeneb installed, use disk utility and select eh retail dvd and Info to see the uuid - write it down and use the boot-uuid= format.

I can't answer about jMicron - sorry.

If you still have iDeneb installed, use disk utility and select eh retail dvd and Info to see the uuid - write it down and use the boot-uuid= format.

I can't answer about jMicron - sorry.

Same thing. Package 0 didn't get HPET over and over with Still waiting for root device every 50th time or so.The error starts after E: [AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController]... loads

Same thing. Package 0 didn't get HPET over and over with Still waiting for root device every 50th time or so.The error starts after E: [AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController]... loads

I am sorry. I don't appear to be helping very much. I have run out of ideas. About the only thing I can think of is that some people with SATA drives have still had to add in IOATAFamily.kest from one of the older/patched versions to get the system to load. Still, that normally shows up as a waiting for boot device error.

I really have run out of ideas.

I am sorry. I don't appear to be helping very much. I have run out of ideas. About the only thing I can think of is that some people with SATA drives have still had to add in IOATAFamily.kest from one of the older/patched versions to get the system to load. Still, that normally shows up as a waiting for boot device error.

I really have run out of ideas.

That's ok I still appreciate it. I read in another thread where they were getting the still waiting for root device error because the install disk was loading it's own jmicron kext instead of the patched one on the boot CD. I'm going to try a new boot CD with the jmicron controller and boot with -f to force it to load the kext from the CD. I have no idea if this is really the problem but it's worth a shot :D

That's ok I still appreciate it. I read in another thread where they were getting the still waiting for root device error because the install disk was loading it's own jmicron kext instead of the patched one on the boot CD. I'm going to try a new boot CD with the jmicron controller and boot with -f to force it to load the kext from the CD. I have no idea if this is really the problem but it's worth a shot :)

There is on thing to check about the override kext in the initrd.img. That is to be sure the Info.plist looks like this at the end:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The OSBundleRequired value should be Root to be sure it will load before the kext of the same name loads from the S/L/E directory on the install dvd.

There is on thing to check about the override kext in the initrd.img. That is to be sure the Info.plist looks like this at the end:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The OSBundleRequired value should be Root to be sure it will load before the kext of the same name loads from the S/L/E directory on the install dvd.

oooooh. Well the second one i checked (ALCinject) says Safe Boot, not root. Should they all be root?

ok i tried to change it but it says i don't have privileges when i save it. wtf? Also at least one of them says local-root. Will that fly or does it need editing too?

oooooh. Well the second one i checked (ALCinject) says Safe Boot, not root. Should they all be root?

ok i tried to change it but it says i don't have privileges when i save it. wtf? Also at least one of them says local-root. Will that fly or does it need editing too?

You need to be Root to make the updates. In a terminal session, either do "sudo -s" and supply your password to change to root, or do "sudo and-the-your-editor-name" to run the command as root. I normally start a terminal session and use "sudo vi ". Then, open a finder session, right click the kext in question and select "Show Package Contents" - then in the Contents folder, drag the Info.plist onto the terminal session. That should open the Info.plist in vi and you can make the changes and save them. If you are not comfortable with "vi" you could start some other editor from the command line.

It would be best if all the OsBundelRequired values were Root.

Hmm. I'd be happy using vi if i could figure it out. I've actually never heard of it. However when i entered "sudo vi" and then dragged the info.plist onto the terminal i just see:

/Users/clint/Downloads/slimbuild.internal/Extensions/ALCinject.kext/Contents/Inf

o.plist

I don't see anything to edit.

Hmm. I'd be happy using vi if i could figure it out. I've actually never heard of it. However when i entered "sudo vi" and then dragged the info.plist onto the terminal i just see:

/Users/clint/Downloads/slimbuild.internal/Extensions/ALCinject.kext/Contents/Inf

o.plist

I don't see anything to edit.

Sorry, I was not clear in my instructions. What I tried to say was - in terminal enter sudo cmd-name - then drag&drop - then enter. It would then look like this:

sudo nano /Users/lrh/slimbuild.internal/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Sorry I was not clear. Maybe try nano in place of vi - might be easier if you are not used to vi. Using vi comes from being a unix admin for many years :P

Sorry, I was not clear in my instructions. What I tried to say was - in terminal enter sudo cmd-name - then drag&drop - then enter. It would then look like this:

sudo nano /Users/lrh/slimbuild.internal/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Sorry I was not clear. Maybe try nano in place of vi - might be easier if you are not used to vi. Using vi comes from being a unix admin for many years :)

Ah ok. Yeah a terminal thing like I thought :D Ok i'm cooking on changing these, just two questions. dsmos.kext is "Console" and not "Root". I know dsmos is pretty essential to booting, so I want to be 100% clear that all the kexts need to be Root. 2nd question is can i clear vi and load a new kext? Right now i just close the terminal window and then open a new one and start the process again from "sudo vi..."

making progress though.

Ok third question. This is the end of NVKush:

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>6.0</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Not sure if this is ok or not. If not i'm not sure what to edit.

Scratch the dsmos question. It was ApplePS2Controller that was Console instead of Root. Pretty sure i can change that one.