Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X

munky

342 posts in this topic

can anyone help? when i start the script all i get is a password prompt, then nothing, my password is blank does that matter?

Yes, that matters. Most of scripts do not work with blank password.

Just change the password, and try.

Yes. It is a Intel graphics card issue. Plugging in an external display works!

I already have installed Retail Leo in my Laptop. Working fine (except AppleSMBIOS issue).

I still am looking for a good solution, which doesn't need the external display.

@ Azimutz: using -legacy didn't work for me.

Thanks for both of your replies :unsure:

Hi Gizmo,

I hope you find a way to be able to install OSX Retail without having a external monitor.

That is the problem I am having a the moment.

Mine system specs are in my signature. would you be able to help me get mine working properly, I am having problem with the mouse and keyboard not working when installing and after install it still does not work

Any ideas how this can be fixed to work from start up on fresh install?

NSCXP2005

Hi Gizmo,

I hope you find a way to be able to install OSX Retail without having a external monitor.

That is the problem I am having a the moment.

Mine system specs are in my signature. would you be able to help me get mine working properly, I am having problem with the mouse and keyboard not working when installing and after install it still does not work

Any ideas how this can be fixed to work from start up on fresh install?

NSCXP2005

You are having problem because your laptop has PS/2 keyboard and trackpad.

Add this kext in your CD

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Though, in my case, I totally forgot about adding this kext in my CD :P

I had to plugin USB keyboard and mouse, and installed this kext using OSx86Tools :rolleyes:

Well..i managed to install retail to MBR but,it's been a strange ride :D

I edited a retail disc image to install in MBR as instructed here (thanks Riley Freeman for pointing) and Slimbuild with all tips in this thread..no problems here!..booted at first try and installed.Right at the end of installation,comes a warning that "install failed"(The installer could not make the computer start from volume "Leo"...)..that seemed normal to me and proceded.Here starts the weird part..i was not expecting not being able to boot..and weird thing is that i was not geting consistent results..some times gave me kp,than it would hang and make the familyar sond of shutdown.Even dvd failed to boot some times.I only started to have consistent results when i decided to make a pre-boot with the uuid of the partition i wanted to boot (after some reading here)..than it allways gave me a kp about acpi.I usually onli need ICPMDisabler.kext,AppleDecrypt.kext and Voodoo kernal to boot..never had kp's about acpi.. :unsure: .. Decided to read a bit more..i knew i read about it somewere and checked Munky's thread about dfe-132,were he sujests to boot with "-legacy" kernel flag..and that did it.Even more strange (to me) is that i only needed to use the flag that one time.

The only problem is that some kexts don't work in Extra folder but the ones needed to boot work so,updates don't break my system..only need to reinstall 2 kext's to bring back sound and resolution.

I also use the DFE bootloader in INSTAHackintosh..STLVNUB "tweaked" the bless command on it so it now works on MBR.The "normal" version only works in GUID.

Thats it :angel: Big thanks to all..you are to many to mention.

Thanks Galaxy for Slimbuild..nice work!

Well..i managed to install retail to MBR but,it's been a strange ride :)

I edited a retail disc image to install in MBR as instructed here (thanks Riley Freeman for pointing) and Slimbuild with all tips in this thread..no problems here!..booted at first try and installed.Right at the end of installation,comes a warning that "install failed"(The installer could not make the computer start from volume "Leo"...)..that seemed normal to me and proceded.Here starts the weird part..i was not expecting not being able to boot..and weird thing is that i was not geting consistent results..some times gave me kp,than it would hang and make the familyar sond of shutdown.Even dvd failed to boot some times.I only started to have consistent results when i decided to make a pre-boot with the uuid of the partition i wanted to boot (after some reading here)..than it allways gave me a kp about acpi.I usually onli need ICPMDisabler.kext,AppleDecrypt.kext and Voodoo kernal to boot..never had kp's about acpi.. :P .. Decided to read a bit more..i knew i read about it somewere and checked Munky's thread about dfe-132,were he sujests to boot with "-legacy" kernel flag..and that did it.Even more strange (to me) is that i only needed to use the flag that one time.

The only problem is that some kexts don't work in Extra folder but the ones needed to boot work so,updates don't break my system..only need to reinstall 2 kext's to bring back sound and resolution.

I also use the DFE bootloader in INSTAHackintosh..STLVNUB "tweaked" the bless command on it so it now works on MBR.The "normal" version only works in GUID.

Thats it :wacko: Big thanks to all..you are to many to mention.

Thanks Galaxy for Slimbuild..nice work!

the kernel panics are caused by you trying to just immediately boot up the cd with a boot.plist. It doesn't work in this fashion unfortunately, you still need to hit f8 then escape to get the hex code chooser, its some strange quirk with the booter that it ignores the boot.plist unless you go through and designate which boot device you want to use. Hopefully this helps eliminate that issue, I had the same problem when i was doing testing with Slimbuild in vmware and the only way around it for the time being is just to follow the same procedure you normally would for prebooting a dvd and then selecting "80" at the hex choice screen to boot the hard disk. Good Luck.

~Galaxy

hi

~Galaxy

OSX86-install-DVD(such as jas/leo4all/IATKOS ect.) or a SYS runing OSX86 have their own extensions.mkext ,

can we use it instead of which produced by ur boot-132 CD creater?

i means:only place one working extensions.mkext in 'somefloder' ,and cancle the step of build the mkext(using collected kext)

feasible?

I'm getting this error. What should I do?

find: Kernel: No such file or directory

SlimBuild v2.0 ©Galaxy 2008.

Special Thanks To:

munky - getting the public interested in SlimBuild.

BladeRunner - com.apple.Boot.plist RAMDISK population / sript ideas.

Testers - for their input on the scripts usability.

##### PREVIOUSBUILD SESSION EXECUTED #####

This session's build time is 2008-10-23-005638

This session's files will be available at PreviousBuilds/Build.2008-10-23-005638

##### MKEXT CREATION PHASE #####

Permissions are being set for the following extensions:

find: Extensions: No such file or directory

All extensions have proper permissions for meta-kernel extension cache creation.

Performing kextcache operation, please wait a moment...

Meta-kernel extension cache creation failed! Aborting!

sh-3.2#

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Solution: You absolutely have to $ cd to the directory and run slimbuild2.sh as sudo and not su

with a "./" in front.

$ sudo ./slimbuild2.sh

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You are having problem because your laptop has PS/2 keyboard and trackpad.

Add this kext in your CD

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Though, in my case, I totally forgot about adding this kext in my CD :o

I had to plugin USB keyboard and mouse, and installed this kext using OSx86Tools :lol:

Thank you gizmø,

Any luck with getting it working without having to connect an external monitor?

Thank you for the file

NSCXP2005

hi

~Galaxy

OSX86-install-DVD(such as jas/leo4all/IATKOS ect.) or a SYS runing OSX86 have their own extensions.mkext ,

can we use it instead of which produced by ur boot-132 CD creater?

i means:only place one working extensions.mkext in 'somefloder' ,and cancle the step of build the mkext(using collected kext)

feasible?

the mkext generated by the system includes a bunch of kernel extensions that are unnecessary for our means. The reason slimbuild only uses the kexts you give is it so that we can keep the payload down to a minimum of only the kexts that you will be needing. comparatively speaking the mkext for a full system install is 10MB whereas even a busy mkext from the preboot disk is maybe 3MB tops. Using a full system's mkext is highly not reccomended because of how many drivers it is loading and the simple fact that many of them have dependencies that could run into issues when the kernel tries to resolve them and can't find them.

On another note i am still working on a script that you can use to do that ie "PreviousBuild" where you can use files from a previous build of slimbuild in order to create a new bootable iso its in its infancy at the moment but i hope to bring it up to parr in the coming days so it can work together with slimbuild to provide a more robust toolset for making preboot disks.

~Galaxy

I had an issue with nvkush not working from the EFI partition after the software update to 10.5.5 but I moved nvkush into s/l/e and out of the efi partition and QE and CI are back

So I have a 100% Hackintosh that can survive system updates with full hardware support. for as long as that lasts.

System specs

P4 HTT Prescott 1mb L2

ICH5 SATA (dvd drive on PATA)

1 GIG DDR 400 Dual Channel

320 Total GIGS Over 2 HDD

GeForce 6200A

USB Wifi

32 Inch HD T.V Display

Install Methods

~Galaxy's Slimboot (dfe) cd building script to Retail 10.5

Munky's EFI Partition Method w/dfe booter to Software Updated 10.5.5

Thanks everyone this is just too sweet !!!!

Galaxy: forgot to mention..I started booting using f8/esc/80,even did it that way when i finally booted with -legacy. I only made the pre-boot cd with the uuid of the partition later,in despair.Then i started getting always kp.. All i know is that with f8/esc/80 -legacy it booted and i never needed to do that again :D

Still running that system.

Galaxy thanks for all the work on this! :)

Unfortunately it's not working for me. I've made several builds using different kernels and kexts, that seem to be perfect according to the terminal messages. Tried with and without the com.apple.Boot.plist. However, after following steps outlined for using the Leopard Retail DVD (10.5,0), and even though the initrd is loaded I invariably get a reboot of my system. My "numbers" for setting the dvd rom device are [ef]; 90, 91, etc. or 9f don't work. I've been able to use 3Dman's iso with the StageXNU kernel to get only so far: everything is moving along, and then "display family matching fails." With Munky's iso with the modbin kernel I arrive at "waiting for root device." I'm using the boot-uuid from my DVD. The fact that I can get that far with those 2 iso disks tells me it's not the burning of the disks, but SOMETHING else going wrong. If anybody has suggestions or a different iso I could try it would be great. Included info on my system below.

desktop:~$ sudo ishw         
   description: Desktop Computer
   product: DK342A-ABA a262n
   vendor: HP Pavilion 061
   version: 06f1211RE101STING10
   serial: MXM3280Z55 NA200
   width: 32 bits
   capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3 smp-1.4 smp
   configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop cpus=1 uuid=60A9D035-BCDF-D411-9EEC-B059DD8C9D6C
 *-core
      description: Motherboard
      product: 'P4SD-LA'
      vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
      physical id: 0
      version: Rev 1.xx
      serial: X312345678
      slot: 
    *-firmware
         description: BIOS
         vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
         physical id: 0
         version: 3.10 (06/27/2003)
         size: 64KiB
         capacity: 448KiB
         capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp ls120boot zipboot ieee1394boot biosbootspecification netboot
    *-cpu
         description: CPU
         product: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
         vendor: Intel Corp.
         physical id: 4
         bus info: cpu@0
         version: 15.2.9
         slot: CPU 1
         size: 2800MHz
         capacity: 2800MHz
         width: 32 bits
         clock: 200MHz
         capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
         configuration: id=0

-desktop:~$ lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface [8086:2570] (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller [8086:2571] (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:24d2] (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:24d4] (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:24d7] (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:24de] (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:24dd] (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:24d0] (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller [8086:24db] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller [8086:24d3] (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller [8086:24d5] (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] [10de:0322] (rev a1)
02:0a.0 Communication controller [0780]: Agere Systems LT WinModem [11c1:044c] (rev 02)
02:0b.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)
02:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [104c:8023]
02:0f.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [10ec:8139] (rev 10)

Found a post with iso that might work for me? Will try this out tonight:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...14834&st=80

booger_sniffer50:

I made a BOOT-132 boot disc with a bunch of kexts. Whats different is that it allows you to boot the Mac OS X installation in VESA graphics mode. So, you can install even with an unsupported graphics card. I didn't see a disc like this before, so I made one because I needed it. Anyway, here is the ISO file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2nmzredjmmo/boot132.iso

EDIT: Make sure to boot the DVD with -x -v otherwise it won't boot with VESA.

Could someone point out what I'm doing wrong? I try to create the disc myself using the script included, the cd boots, and it says something along the lines about "cd checksum is not the same"

And i see some people who have released Iso's that are 20 mb big and others that are 300. I just need a simple iso that can boot the retail dvd and a single kext for my Marvell IDE drives (cause I don't have sata).

What am I doing wrong?

Could someone point out what I'm doing wrong? I try to create the disc myself using the script included, the cd boots, and it says something along the lines about "cd checksum is not the same"

And i see some people who have released Iso's that are 20 mb big and others that are 300. I just need a simple iso that can boot the retail dvd and a single kext for my Marvell IDE drives (cause I don't have sata).

What am I doing wrong?

Well, it's rather hard. Unless I missed it, you don't say what your cpu is. e.g., Pentium4, core2duo, etc.. You don't say what kernel you are attempting to use, or which kext are in your slimbuild Extensions directory. Also, if the cd boots, what are you entering then?

A lot more information might get you the type help you need.

Sorry about that. I have a Intel Pentium E2220 Allendale 2.4GHz that works with the Vanilla Kernel. An Asus PSK-SE/EPU so I need a modified version of AppleVIAATA.kext, LAN kext for my Atheros lan, and a modified natit kext made by praysus i believe which I have and actually worked with a Kalyway dvd I made tonight. It only shows that the checksum doesn't match and says press any key to retry and it doesn't work. Im sorry about not providing enough information, I had just woken up and wasn't thinking properly.

Thanks again,

Justin

Sorry about that. I have a Intel Pentium E2220 Allendale 2.4GHz that works with the Vanilla Kernel. An Asus PSK-SE/EPU so I need a modified version of AppleVIAATA.kext, LAN kext for my Atheros lan, and a modified natit kext made by praysus i believe which I have and actually worked with a Kalyway dvd I made tonight. It only shows that the checksum doesn't match and says press any key to retry and it doesn't work. Im sorry about not providing enough information, I had just woken up and wasn't thinking properly.

Thanks again,

Justin

OK. So, since you can use the vanilla kernel, you don't provide a kernel in the slimbuild Kernel folder. Correct?

Could you provide a list of the kext in the slimbuild Extensions folder. e.g.,

"ls -ld Extensions/*"

I assume the slimbuild script runs without error and you burn the iso to a cd. When does it give you the checksum error? Immediately - before the message to press enter or F8 - or later? I am trying to get a better picture of when it fails.

Just to be sure we are on the same page, you are doing this to be able to boot the retail install dvd. Correct?

The checksum comes up right when the cd boots. Its only 900k large, small for an iso so i suspect something is up. But yeah, I'm attemtping to boot a retail disc that I took upon myself to make a single layer disc. I have no dual layers nor the money for them. But yeah, I didn't put anything in the kernel folder, the one kext I actually needed to get past "Still waiting for root device", and there were no errors what so ever.

The checksum comes up right when the cd boots. Its only 900k large, small for an iso so i suspect something is up. But yeah, I'm attemtping to boot a retail disc that I took upon myself to make a single layer disc. I have no dual layers nor the money for them. But yeah, I didn't put anything in the kernel folder, the one kext I actually needed to get past "Still waiting for root device", and there were no errors what so ever.

I am not sure what all you need, or why you should be getting the checksum error, but it sounds like you don't have enough kext in your Extensions folder. I know your hardware is newer than mine, but there are some basic things I think you will need if you plan to boot a retail install dvd.

I have the following in my Extensions folder for the slimbuild:

bash-3.2# ls -l /Users/lrh/slimbuild.internal/Extensions 
total 16
-rw-r--r--  1 lrh   staff  6148 Oct 14 17:55 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102 Oct 14 20:20 AppleACPIPlatform.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102 Oct 14 20:20 AppleDecrypt.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel   102 Oct 14 20:20 ApplePS2Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel   102 Oct 14 20:20 AppleSMBIOS.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel   102 Oct 14 20:20 Disabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   102 Oct 14 20:20 IOATAFamily.kext

Since you don't have a real Mac, I would think you would have, as a minimum, the Disabler.kext and AppleDecrypt.kext or dsmos.kext.

Installing some of those kext will make your iso image larger and it may also help you get around some problems later.

I wish you luck.

Then run the slimbuild script as root:

cd /dir/to/slimbuild

sudo ./slimbuild.sh

v2.0 Download

Munky,

Can you be persuaded to edit your instructions so that they apply to Version 2.0? In Version 2.0, the name of the slimbuild folder and the slimbuild script are both different from what they were in Version 1.

Thanks

Alright, I've searched every way I could think of, and tried everything I could find, but I'm stuck. I am using slimbuild 2.0, and it gets through what seems to be 90% of the boot, and then just stops. No kernel panic, no error (at least nothing that would seem to keep it from booting). I've tried -V -f, and multiple combinations of kexts for the iso. (I'd love to stop wasting blank DVDs on less than 10mb of data :D.

So, here's the details. First, the last few lines before it stops:

Long Error about ethernet autonegotiation timeout

Resetting IOCatalogue.

Matching Service count = 1

Root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

NTFS driver 2.0 [Flags: R/O].

and then nothing. I've left it for 30 minutes, and it never does anything after that.

Here are the kexts I added to the Extensions directory for slimbuild to create the iso:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

ALCinject.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

AppleUSBEHCI.kext

AppleUSBOHCI.kext

AppleUSBUHCI.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NVkush.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

There are no errors with the slimbuild, and it is definitely loading some of the kexts (I saw NVKush specifically. Most fly by too fast to see. I have a fully functioning vanilla kernel install of Leo4allV3 right now, and the only thing different is the nvkush (I'm running 10.5.2 right now with NVinject). My system specs are in my sig, and any help would be much appreciated. I'm a new convert to OSX after about 15 years of messing with Windows. Not looking to go back any time soon :)

Thanks,

Scott

Alright, I've searched every way I could think of, and tried everything I could find, but I'm stuck. I am using slimbuild 2.0, and it gets through what seems to be 90% of the boot, and then just stops. No kernel panic, no error (at least nothing that would seem to keep it from booting). I've tried -V -f, and multiple combinations of kexts for the iso. (I'd love to stop wasting blank DVDs on less than 10mb of data :).

So, here's the details. First, the last few lines before it stops:

Long Error about ethernet autonegotiation timeout

Resetting IOCatalogue.

Root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

NTFS driver 2.0 [Flags: R/O].

and then nothing. I've left it for 30 minutes, and it never does anything after that.

Here are the kexts I added to the Extensions directory for slimbuild to create the iso:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

ALCinject.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

AppleUSBEHCI.kext

AppleUSBOHCI.kext

AppleUSBUHCI.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NVkush.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

There are no errors with the slimbuild, and it is definitely loading some of the kexts (I saw NVKush specifically. Most fly by too fast to see. I have a fully functioning vanilla kernel install of Leo4allV3 right now, and the only thing different is the nvkush (I'm running 10.5.2 right now with NVinject). My system specs are in my sig, and any help would be much appreciated. I'm a new convert to OSX after about 15 years of messing with Windows. Not looking to go back any time soon :)

Thanks,

Scott

As far as the blank CD is concerned, why not invest in a few CD-RW and just erase and rewrite the same one until you get it to work?

I assume you are attempting to get a retail dvd to boot for an install. Correct? It looks like you have a group of kext that should do the job. So, let's look at the sequence you use to boot the slimbuild cd and then boot the install dvd. Can you describe how you boot the slimbuild cd and then swap to the install dvd? what you type at each prompt etc..?