[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

Hey this is an excellent tool for boot132 and retail install guide. I noticed the recent update to v3 and wanted to inquire what happened to the updater.sh is it no longer needed?

tnx for noticing OSXtotheZ. it is indeed recommended to run the updater.sh right after the successful update to 10.5.6 especially for those whose extra kexts are not being loaded.

updated post#1 & re-upped the macloader package.

good luck and wanna greet everyone a happy xmas once again. :wacko:

Okay, I'm going to stick my hand up here; this guide is 99% of the way there, but it contains phrases like "follow prompts" which a newbie like me is just going to get confused by. When I run the DSDT_Patcher, where do I run it? On my MacLoader drive? And it offers me three options: which OS do I want to emulate - Darwin, WinXP or WinVista?

Then when I run the macloader.sh file, can I run that from anywhere on my machine? And when it asks me for the location of my MacOS installation, then the required destination of my MacLoader, do I type the names of my disks or do I have to use something like disk2s1?

Just curious. It's a great guide, and I'm so darn close to getting something working that I'll be happy to share with all other owners of my mobo (GA-P35-DS3P). But until the specifics are contained in the guide...

Discy

Okay, I'm going to stick my hand up here; this guide is 99% of the way there, but it contains phrases like "follow prompts" which a newbie like me is just going to get confused by. When I run the DSDT_Patcher, where do I run it? On my MacLoader drive? And it offers me three options: which OS do I want to emulate - Darwin, WinXP or WinVista?

Then when I run the macloader.sh file, can I run that from anywhere on my machine? And when it asks me for the location of my MacOS installation, then the required destination of my MacLoader, do I type the names of my disks or do I have to use something like disk2s1?

Just curious. It's a great guide, and I'm so darn close to getting something working that I'll be happy to share with all other owners of my mobo (GA-P35-DS3P). But until the specifics are contained in the guide...

Discy

after downloading the MacLoader_rev3.zip, unzip it wherever u like. then u go open the folder (MacLoader) and you'll find there the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e. inside that folder, you'll find DSDT Patcher. just double-click it & it will be opened in Terminal. then press [ENTER] & i chose Darwin. i no longer bothered trying WinXP or WinVista.

u can run the macloader.sh wherever it is located as long as u will "cd" to that location. to do this, open Terminal, then type "cd" (w/out the quotes) & drag-drop the MacLoader folder to the Terminal then press [ENTER]. now u can run the macloader.sh script.

as for the prompts on where the retail Leopard is installed & where to setup the bootloader, u need to type the NAME of the hdd/partition. & hopefully u did not use "space(s)" in naming those hdd/partitions.

good luck. just post any additional clarificatory questions.

Thanks for that, MACinized. I'm actually trying to come up with a bootup that's quite similar to yours, I believe: Vista/Leopard dual boot, probably with MacLoader tucked away on a small partition on the Vista drive. Do you have any tips on how to do this effectively?

I have now managed to get my machine to boot right through MacLoader into Leopard. I need to work on some kexts etc (and I need to run the MacLoader.sh every time I want to change them, yes?) but as soon as it's all working I'll be uploading an iso file for my GA-P35-DS3P mobo.

Discy

For all of you worried about the DSDT patch...from PCWiz Computer Blog"

10.5.6 Released; No DSDT Patch Required, December 19th, 2008

This news is a few days late, but yes Apple has released Mac OS X 10.5.6 and you can read more about that and what it fixes here. The update as usual with all of Apple’s major updates is 372MB for the delta updater and a hefty 668MB for the combo updater. It is available from Software Update as well. The update, even for real mac users has proven to be troublesome, as there seems to be a bug on many computers (it usually happens if you are using Software Update) that the update does not fully download causing it to hang in the middle of installation. This is why its recommended that you manually download the update and then install it.

Now on to the OSx86 side of the story. People have been going crazy because the 10.5.6 beta builds required a DSDT patch for the system to boot properly. a procedure that can be complicated and impossible to achieve in some instances. It was assumed that the 10.5.6 final would have this requirement as well, but no. 10.5.6 boots just fine without any DSDT patch of any sort, just need your usual kexts. Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 also works on 10.5.6 as long as you have the 9.5.0 system.kext installed. You can update to 10.5.6 the same way used to update to any other Leopard update (but don’t use Software Update!). Some users have reported that there are issues mounting DMG files in 10.5.6. This can be fixed by installing the seatbelt.kext from a previous 10.5.5 install. And last but certainly not least, some users have experienced an issue where System Profiler “does not work” (error in retrieving information). This is usually caused by not having an AppleSMBIOS patch, or if you are using an old version of the vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext. That’s about it, and most people update just fine as long as you do it properly!

Thanks for that, MACinized. I'm actually trying to come up with a bootup that's quite similar to yours, I believe: Vista/Leopard dual boot, probably with MacLoader tucked away on a small partition on the Vista drive. Do you have any tips on how to do this effectively?

I have now managed to get my machine to boot right through MacLoader into Leopard. I need to work on some kexts etc (and I need to run the MacLoader.sh every time I want to change them, yes?) but as soon as it's all working I'll be uploading an iso file for my GA-P35-DS3P mobo.

Discy

whenever u update (add/remove) extra kexts in the "KEXTs" folder, just run the updater.sh.

i'm currently dual-booting leopard & xp. 2 hdd's. 1st hdd (mbr) w/ 1st partition as the MacLoader & 2nd partition for xp. leopard is installed in the 2nd hdd. setup is to autoboot to leopard. can boot to xp by pressing the [ESC] key on boot timeout then choosing the 2nd partition of the 1st hdd. works great for me. i believe it's much easier for vista.

good luck.

Great guide but the only problem I am having is

"diskutil list (take note of the “IDENTIFIERs”)

sudo fdisk –e /dev/rdiskX (where X is the appropriate disk identifier)

f 1 (where 1 is the partition number of MacLoader)

w

y

q"

when you get down to the "F 1" part how do you know what the partition number is? also for the line above that, is the disk identifier (The "X" in rdiskX) just a single number?

Thank you!!!!

Great guide but the only problem I am having is

"diskutil list (take note of the “IDENTIFIERs”)

sudo fdisk –e /dev/rdiskX (where X is the appropriate disk identifier)

f 1 (where 1 is the partition number of MacLoader)

w

y

q"

when you get down to the "F 1" part how do you know what the partition number is? also for the line above that, is the disk identifier (The "X" in rdiskX) just a single number?

Thank you!!!!

fdisk.png

I am messing up on the terminal stuff before that i guess is there anyway you could do that for the whole terminal process? I really appreciate your help!!!!

Thanks

I've been using MacLoader with complete success up through 10.5.5.

Today I used MacLoader v3 to do the 10.5.6 update, which boots fine.

I found that I could no longer see my top-level system profile and

that dmg files would no longer mount as described by bigpoppa206.

So I copied the AppleSMBIOS.kext that came from the original

MacLoader to the KEXTs folder and did an update. This fixed the

system profiler problem.

Next, I took a copy of seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 and put that

in MacLoader's KEXTs and did another update. When I tried

to mount a dmg file, the system froze solid: screen still visible,

but mouse and keyboard unresponsive.

Here's the set of KEXTs I'm using:

dsmos.kext (From MacLoader v3)

Disabler.kext (From MacLoader v3)

IONetworkingFamily.kext (From 10.5.6 with my card added.)

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (For my AD1988b.)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (From the original MacLoader to fix the profiler.)

seatbelt.kext (From 10.5.5 - Failed attempt to fix dmg mounting problem.)

I'm going to look for the thread on PCWiz mentioned by bigpoppa206

and see if I can find any more information about the dmg issue.

A few more results:

First, I found the dsdt patcher completely unnecessary using the official

10.5.6 updater. I commented out that section from macloader.sh and

tested everything on a clean MacLoader partition.

Second, the dmg mounting problem is partially fixed by using the

10.5.5 seatbelt.kext: Some dmg files will mount correctly, but others

hang my system. I tried quite a few with mixed results. Here are two

that always cause a freeze for me:

CarbonCopyCloner-3.1.3.dmg

Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg

It would be interesting to hear from others running 10.5.6 with

the 10.5.5 seatbelt to learn if these examples fail or succeed.

A few more results:

First, I found the dsdt patcher completely unnecessary using the official

10.5.6 updater. I commented out that section from macloader.sh and

tested everything on a clean MacLoader partition.

Second, the dmg mounting problem is partially fixed by using the

10.5.5 seatbelt.kext: Some dmg files will mount correctly, but others

hang my system. I tried quite a few with mixed results. Here are two

that always cause a freeze for me:

CarbonCopyCloner-3.1.3.dmg

Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg

It would be interesting to hear from others running 10.5.6 with

the 10.5.5 seatbelt to learn if these examples fail or succeed.

good to have these kind of feedbacks. i too would like to try not using the dsdt patcher. tnx for the info hsparks.

Hi-

I'm interested in this install method. I have two questions:

I'm booting several other OS's, and am wondering if it's possible to get away with one partition instead of two. I already have something like 6 partitions...

Also, do the kexts that are used to get hardware working in the hacked DVD images also work with this method (i.e GMA3100 drivers, Intel 82566 etc...)?

Thanks

Rafael

Okay, I'm back. :-(

I tried a complete reinstall of the machine, and now I'm stuck. I've gone through the same processes as before, I believe, but when I get to running macloader.sh it goes through the motions, sets permissions for the extensions that are in the KEXTs folder, then tries to build the kext cache but reports 'No such file or directory' for both the chmod and chown commands.

The end result is that the 'Extra' folder on my MacLoader partition is completely empty - and if I try to run the updater.sh, it tells me that Macloader can't be found on that partition at all.

Any ideas? Is it a permissions thing? Quite frustrating, really; I've discovered that the generic.iso actually boots up my DS3P pretty well, but I'd like to get to the point where I'm experimenting with additional kexts for audio and gfx, and because of the aforementioned problem, I can't manage to get an all-HDD boot-up even using the exact same kexts as the generic.iso.

Discy

Quick update to the above query which might benefit other users. I did a Get Info on my MacLoader disk and for some reason, 'ignore ownership on this volume' was checked. I unchecked this and macloader.sh built the extensions.mkext file as required.

Hope this helps someone else.

And now, back to those extensions...

Discy

First I would like to thank you for you for this great tutorial. For a long time I was searching for anew install way to rebuild my system. I have a working (everything) install on 10.5.5, but was afraid to lose the work I,ve done and my documents trying to update to 10.5.6.

So I decided to install from the beginning on a new hard disk (my old one is almost full).

Using my working install, my new disk was partitioned in two. One 1Gb for macloader and one big partition for vanilla mac os. GUID of course. I copied macloader folder to the macloader partition. Installed the Chameleon on this partition and made this partition active using fdisk. Inserted my Leopard and installed it to the big partition. Than copied some important kexts to the KEXTS folder inside the macloader folder. Opened the DSDT patch and finally the macloader.sh. Everything ok. So I change my new disk as default boot disk on BIOS. Booting with -v gave me success loading my audio and video drivers (I have ATI HD3850) but stopped on waiting for root device. I down know exactly what kexts are missing, maybe some ICH9 controller driver.

I know that this install method differs a little from yours, but I thought it was possible to do like I did. Do you have some advice for what kexts I have to put on KEXTS folder, 'cause I don't have the boot 132 disk. Thanks.

In the end, I've switched to the 'secret' partition method, purely because I got desperately frustrated at the installer giving me different results (over about, oooh, eight or nine full clean installs). Munky's solution involves more command line work, true, but it's been bang reliable at at least spitting me past boot-up and into OS X. I've now updated to 10.5.6 and everything seems to be working fine, although I did have to use some patches from PCWiz instead of just sticking kexts into a pre-loader cache. I guess it's down to some plist or EFI settings...

Discy

@MACinized

Thanks for the guide I've successfully installed 10.5.6 on Asus P5W DH. I used your optimized boot CD linked to earlier in this thread.

I wondered if you could clarify a few things. I'm not having a lot of success adding/removing/editing kexts.

Is the following the correct way?

1. Add or remove kexts from MacLoader>KEXTs
  2. Run updater.sh
  3. reboot

When I use this method 'most' of the time OS X reboots but I am unable to use the keyboard or mouse. I had more success changing the kexts and then running macloader.sh!? FWIW I wasn't changing any USB kexts.

Also if I want to edit boot.plist do I edit the one in the Macloader folder and run updater.sh or do I directly edit L/P/SC/com.apple.Boot.plist?

Thanks for your help

@MACinized

Thanks for the guide I've successfully installed 10.5.6 on Asus P5W DH. I used your optimized boot CD linked to earlier in this thread.

I wondered if you could clarify a few things. I'm not having a lot of success adding/removing/editing kexts.

Is the following the correct way?

1. Add or remove kexts from MacLoader>KEXTs
  2. Run updater.sh
  3. reboot

When I use this method 'most' of the time OS X reboots but I am unable to use the keyboard or mouse. I had more success changing the kexts and then running macloader.sh!? FWIW I wasn't changing any USB kexts.

Also if I want to edit boot.plist do I edit the one in the Macloader folder and run updater.sh or do I directly edit L/P/SC/com.apple.Boot.plist?

Thanks for your help

whenever i modify (add/remove) kexts for my bootloader, i do run updater.sh then reboot. i don't have any idea why you're having a problem w/ your usb keyboard & mouse whenever u run updater.sh. u may try unplugging them then plug back-in and then observe whether u still have the problem after your next restart.

don't touch the vanilla Boot.plist which is in the retail leopard install. all u need to edit (add efi-strings) is the Boot.plist in the MacLoader.

good luck.

First I would like to thank you for you for this great tutorial. For a long time I was searching for anew install way to rebuild my system. I have a working (everything) install on 10.5.5, but was afraid to lose the work I,ve done and my documents trying to update to 10.5.6.

So I decided to install from the beginning on a new hard disk (my old one is almost full).

Using my working install, my new disk was partitioned in two. One 1Gb for macloader and one big partition for vanilla mac os. GUID of course. I copied macloader folder to the macloader partition. Installed the Chameleon on this partition and made this partition active using fdisk. Inserted my Leopard and installed it to the big partition. Than copied some important kexts to the KEXTS folder inside the macloader folder. Opened the DSDT patch and finally the macloader.sh. Everything ok. So I change my new disk as default boot disk on BIOS. Booting with -v gave me success loading my audio and video drivers (I have ATI HD3850) but stopped on waiting for root device. I down know exactly what kexts are missing, maybe some ICH9 controller driver.

I know that this install method differs a little from yours, but I thought it was possible to do like I did. Do you have some advice for what kexts I have to put on KEXTS folder, 'cause I don't have the boot 132 disk. Thanks.

The problem was that macloader gave me a wrong uuid for vanilla drive.

Now I can boot on OSX, but for some weird reason I only have qe/ci and audio if my kext are installed on the vanilla partition.

I am using Macloader and 10.5 reatail install and 10.5.6 update. I tried it with the DSDT.aml and then removed it after people confirmed it was not necessary for 10.5.6 final. However there now appears to be a fix for GMA 950 onboard graphics see this thread Dr Hurt and riosoft sort out 950 GMA graphics on Desktops It appears to be a modification to the DSDT.aml file and may fix sleep issues as well. I would like to try this so I'm back to trying to install DSDT.aml. Does the DSDT.aml file need to go in my boot 132 partition or on the Mac OS install partition? For newbies that would translate does it need to go on the tiny partition or the big partition. thanks

Hi Macinized.

I have a similar spec of my Hackintosh like yours: MB: Intel DP35DP 2x2GB Kingston Ram DDR2-6400, Ati Radeon HD3650, rest built in.

I followed your guide step by step, installation from a OSX 10.5 Retail DVD. However I can boot natively from the HDD without any problems before upgrading to 10.5.6.

When I do this, and before restarting the computer entering Terminal to do sudo ./updater.sh, I cannot enter my root password.

Terminal just says Sorry, try again.

Any ideas?

I have rebootet the computer in Safe Mode and has been running sudo ./updater.sh from there and this was accepting my password. But then, after another reboot.

I only see 'funny' blocks in different colors all over my screen.

Also any ideas about that?

Thank you very much.

Hi Macinized.

I have a similar spec of my Hackintosh like yours: MB: Intel DP35DP 2x2GB Kingston Ram DDR2-6400, Ati Radeon HD3650, rest built in.

I followed your guide step by step, installation from a OSX 10.5 Retail DVD. However I can boot natively from the HDD without any problems before upgrading to 10.5.6.

When I do this, and before restarting the computer entering Terminal to do sudo ./updater.sh, I cannot enter my root password.

Terminal just says Sorry, try again.

Any ideas?

I have rebootet the computer in Safe Mode and has been running sudo ./updater.sh from there and this was accepting my password. But then, after another reboot.

I only see 'funny' blocks in different colors all over my screen.

Also any ideas about that?

Thank you very much.

Macinized's method was successful with my Vostro 410 - Radeon HD 3650 ( retail 10.5.1->10.5.6, sound alc888 & video fixed ). I got those "funny blocks" too but look for new beta pkg from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107526 and don't place any natit.kext in extras folder.

Macinized, bravo !