[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

I want to report a problem between this method and IntelEnhancedSpeedStep

Using the method described the system load the kext but the auto-throttle didn't work. (Observe the kern.cputhrottle_auto = 0)

Tivis-Inspiron-2200:~ tivi$ sysctl -a | grep throttlekern.exec: unknown type returned

kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 2000

kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 1340

kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 600 800 1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000

kern.cputhrottle_factoryvolts: 3452 3452 3452 3452 3452 3452 3452 3452

kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 5160

kern.cputhrottle_auto: 0

Also at boot the kext give me the following info:

Jan 11 18:27:36 localhost kernel[0]: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Using 8 PStates.

Jan 11 18:27:36 localhost kernel[0]: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN IOKit CPU iterator couldn't

be created. Auto-throttle may not work.

Jan 11 18:27:36 localhost kernel[0]: IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN Auto-throttler could not be

setup, start it manually later.

Im using Voodoo Release 9.5.0 with a Pentium M 755 (Dell Inspiron 2200 A07)

The problem ONLY occurs when the system is using a mkext from this method. If we

kextload manually the kext works... I tried to put it on S/L/E on Macintosh and/or a Boot part.

causing the same error.

Any Advise welcome. Thanks.

A question....can I use the actual kexts on the EXTRA folder instead of the mkext?

yup. but u gotta do it manually. if i find time, i'll provide option for it.

right now, u can just delete the "Extensions.mkext" in the "Extra" folder of your MacLoader. then create a folder named "Extensions" inside the "Extra" folder then put all your extra kexts there.

good luck.

yup. but u gotta do it manually. if i find time, i'll provide option for it.

right now, u can just delete the "Extensions.mkext" in the "Extra" folder of your MacLoader. then create a folder named "Extensions" inside the "Extra" folder then put all your extra kexts there.

good luck.

thanks for the info..

ok i got a problem with the macbootloader... ive been able to install leopard perfectly just having problems now.

i went through the terminal commands and am stuck here

im trying to enter these commands in terminal here

diskutil list (take note of the “IDENTIFIERs”)

sudo fdisk –e /dev/rdiskX (where X is the appropriate disk identifier)

f 1 (where 1 is the partition number of MacLoader)

w

y

q

this is what i get

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *74.5 Gi disk0

1: Windows_NTFS 74.5 Gi disk0s1

/dev/disk1

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *298.1 Gi disk1

1: Windows_NTFS Mondo-Z 298.1 Gi disk1s1

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk2

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS MacOSX 464.8 Gi disk2s2

3: Apple_HFS boot 696.0 Mi disk2s3

/dev/disk3

0: CD_partition_scheme *2.2 Mi disk3

1: CD_ROM_Mode_1 BOOT132 1.9 Mi disk3s0

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk disc2

usage: fdisk [-ieu] [-f mbrboot] [-c cyl -h head -s sect] [-S size] [-r] [-a style] disk

-i: initialize disk with new MBR

-u: update MBR code, preserve partition table

-e: edit MBRs on disk interactively

-f: specify non-standard MBR template

-chs: specify disk geometry

-S: specify disk size

-r: read partition specs from stdin (implies -i)

-a: auto-partition with the given style

-d: dump partition table

-y: don't ask any questions

-t: test if disk is partitioned

`disk' is of the form /dev/rdisk0.

auto-partition styles:

boothfs 8Mb boot plus HFS+ root partition (default)

bootufs 8Mb boot plus UFS root partition

hfs Entire disk as one HFS+ partition

ufs Entire disk as one UFS partition

dos Entire disk as one DOS partition

raid Entire disk as one 0xAC partition

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ f 3

-bash: f: command not found

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ f disc3

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ f s3

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ f3

-bash: f3: command not found

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ f disc2s3

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ f 3

acidic:macloader aidananddavidanderson$ -f 3

-bash: -f: command not found

im not entering the "f" command correct or something..

its probably some really stupid mistake... as far as i know ppl dont have problems entering in terminal code....

plz help thanks

I have 10.5.6 retail DVD. Does the same steps apply to me? What should I omit (of course update)?

you're right, it's only the updating that you won't have to do anymore (then of course, running the updater.sh).

good luck.

Kind of got it working

I typed sudo -e /dev/fdisk2s3

Then I entered f 3 and it said parition active... So I rebooted anddd it didn't work should I erase my boot partition and try again from scratch? Pls help

i would recommend starting from scratch, i.e. erasing the whole hdd then create the needed partitions. since u have more than 1 hdd, u should set in the bios to make the target hdd (where u intend to install retail leopard & setup the macloader) as the first boot device.

good luck.

Sorry i ask but, why make one "Macloader" partition and not use the one already created by Leopard itself (the EFI one) ?

What is the diference? Are there some advantages in you method?

Thanks

Sorry i ask but, why make one "Macloader" partition and not use the one already created by Leopard itself (the EFI one) ?

What is the diference? Are there some advantages in you method?

Thanks

i'd rather call it preference rather than advantage.

the thing is, i can setup MacLoader in a usb-flashdisk or other hdd/partition (i.e. MacLoader can be setup in another hdd other than where u installed retail leopard). secondly, i can easily edit/update/(backup) the MacLoader.

again, it's preference. :D

i'd rather call it preference rather than advantage.

the thing is, i can setup MacLoader in a usb-flashdisk or other hdd/partition (i.e. MacLoader can be setup in another hdd other than where u installed retail leopard). secondly, i can easily edit/update/(backup) the MacLoader.

again, it's preference. :)

Thanks again.

But i was here thinking that i can also easely edit, backup or erase EFI partition...

Yes aparently is preference, because the EFI does not show up never...

Anyway, thanks for your guide, i've tryed both, your's and Munky's. and both work well.

Thanks

[uPDATED: 18 Dec. 2008]

Since you're reading this, it is an assumption that you've somehow read about boot-132 (by dfe) and chameleon and hopefully all other members of the osx86 community who have dedicated their time & knowledge to make this happen: run Retail (vanilla) Mac OS X Leopard in non-Mac computers and get updates direct from Apple website. The advantage of this is that EFI-strings (i.e. for graphics/video, audio, lan, boot parameters, etc.) can be loaded on boot w/out touching the original/vanilla com.apple.Boot.plist.

roisoft  brought this method right in my doorstep and I'm just here to share my experience using it and experimenting around it.

Pre-requisite is a working boot-132 disc loader which has been discussed in the original thread by f41qu3. You may visit this thread to check some boot-132 iso(s) and add yours to the collection. You can also use my Boot-132-Disc Maker.

Now let's get started preparing a Boot-132-Chameleon w/ EFI-strings Loader to "power up" a Retail Mac OS X Leopard install.

1. Buy a retail copy of Mac OS X Leopard DVD Installer.

Install Retail Leopard for the 1st time:

2. Boot with your Boot-132-Disc loader. At prompt, press [ENTER] then remove Boot-132-Disc and put in the Retail Leopard DVD Installer. Wait until LED light of your optical drive stops blinking then press [ENTER]. Press [ENTER] again at prompt. Wait for a while.

3. After the “installation language” window, open Disk Utility.

4. Make at least two (2) [Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] partitions. One for our MacLoader (only about 200MB or less) and then one for the retail Leopard install. DO NOT use space(s) for the names of these two partitions.

5. Close Disk Utility then proceed with the installation.

6. After completing installation, restart/reboot with your Boot-132-Disc.

7. At prompt, press [ENTER] then type “80” (for the 1st HDD, “81” for the 2nd HDD, and so on) then press [ENTER]. Select the partition where you installed retail Leopard then press [ENTER].

8. You should now be booting to your newly installed retail Mac OS X Leopard. Fill-up all required forms then you’ll get to your Leopard desktop.

Setting-up the MacLoader:

9. Download this MacLoader (already inclusive of the Chameleon 1.0.12 installer and DSDT Patcher by fassl) then unzip.

10. Open MacLoader folder from step 9 then install Chameleon to the MacLoader partition.

11. Run the DSDT Patcher which can be found inside the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e folder.

12. Put inside the “KEXTs” folder all extra kexts from your Boot-132-Disc (also include any extra audio kexts – HDAEnabler/ALCinject + AppleHDA, which are the only kexts that cannot be pre-loaded from Boot-132-Disc).

13. Open Terminal then “cd” to where you unzipped MacLoader (refer to step 9).

14. Type “sudo ./macloader.sh” then enter your password. Follow prompts.

15. Once done, set MacLoader partition as active. While still in Terminal, execute the following:

diskutil list			   (take note of the “IDENTIFIERs”)
sudo fdisk –e /dev/rdiskX   (where X is the appropriate disk identifier)
f 1						 (where 1 is the partition number of MacLoader)
w
y
q

16. Reboot without your Boot-132-Disc in the optical drive. If all is well, you should be able to boot back to your Retail Leopard via MacLoader. If not, put back in your Boot-132-Disc to reboot and review the steps you’ve taken.

17. Update your retail Leopard to 10.5.6.

18. After the successful update to 10.5.6, open Terminal and run the updater.sh script.

19. Restart your computer and enjoy your OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6!

n.b.

To disable automount for the MacLoader, thus you will not see the partition in your desktop and make any unintentional edits, execute the following in Terminal:

sudo nano /etc/fstab
UUID="MacLoader's UUID" none hfs rw,noauto
[CTRL]+o        (to save)
[ENTER]
[CTRL]+x        (to exit)

You can still easily mount it back by using Disk Utility.

Thanks, Macinized!

If I install Leopard in MBR mode [ 3 partitons: XPOS(NTFS), EFI(HFS+), MACOS(HFS+)]

dose the method still work?

The other question is : What is different between the method and installing PCEFI_V9 with "Extra" fold in MACOS partition? BTW, Could you suggest the "essential" kexts for notebook (eg. Lenovo X60)?

Ok I get through everything but I have two problems...

The first is the biggest, I have no keyboard or mouse on my Asus G2S X1 laptop. I have to use USB externals.

The 2nd is after following the instructions for MacLoader the system just sits at the grey Apple screen and never gets past it.

I can get into my OSX 10.5.6 install using the generic iso but it will not boot from the MacLoader partition.

I have tried using other ISOs that contain the Kexts for the 965 chipset but that does not work, nor has replacing the ApplePS2 Kext.

Any suggestion?