[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

I did some testing tonight with this method both on internal HDD and external USB HDD. With the internal HDD, I installed the Retail 10.5.4 and then updated to 10.5.5 using the MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg. Then I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and everything was good.

With the external USB HDD, installed Retail 10.5.4 and this time I updated through Apple's Software Update. It rebooted by itself the first time and the second time it booted up to 10.5.5. Again, I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and here I am typing this post to give my feedback.

Thanks Macinized and roisoft for this! :wacko:

you're welcome. :)

what's more, dual-booting retail leopard & winxp (or vista) w/ this method is also really easy.

my dual-boot setup is:

1st hdd (mbr) > 1st partition="MacLoader"

> 2nd partition=WinXP Install

2nd hdd (gpt) > partitioned for the Retail Leopard Install

partition for "MacLoader" is the one active & if my set "Timeout" is not interrupted, system boots from "MacLoader" w/c then [boots] the partition in 2nd hdd where retail leopard is installed.

if "Timeout" is interrupted, i just select the 2nd partition (Windows NTFS) then system boots winxp (or vista). 

hey thx for the testing.

to avoid manual updateing of mach_kernel and extentions.mkext, we could use a sync-tool. and when an update changes these files, they are synced automaticly.

i will try it, and report

hey thx for the testing.

to avoid manual updateing of mach_kernel and extentions.mkext, we could use a sync-tool. and when an update changes these files, they are synced automaticly.

that would be cool. kindly update us. tnx.

hey thx for the testing.

Yes, this would be great as I found out from my ongoing test this morning that for some reason after I installed the Logitech Control Center, the Configure page did not detect my MX600 Laser Cordless Mouse. However, it detected the S 530 Keyboard. So I browsed to the System\Library\ and noticed that the Extensions.mkext had updated with a new date/time stamped. So I copied the Extensions.mkext to my boot-partition. Rebooted, checked the Logictech Control Center and this time my mouse was detected and ready to configure.

My question about the "sync-tool" is this. For those who disabled the "MacLoader" from automount, could this tool work?

Thanks.

very nice, and thanks for your script :thumbsup_anim:

If you want, you can add:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

on com.apple.Boot.plist, for disable boot-prompt

yup. if anyone prefers "Quiet Boot", remove the "Timeout" key that i've already put in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

First off, great tutorial! I found it really simple to follow and had very little troubles with it. However, I've ran into a problem that I hope is simple to fix. When I reboot my computer does it's usual POST and then this appears indefinately:

boot0: GPT
boot0: HFS+
boot0: booting
boot0: done

Anyone know why it's hanging?

Thanks!

First off, great tutorial! I found it really simple to follow and had very little troubles with it. However, I've ran into a problem that I hope is simple to fix. When I reboot my computer does it's usual POST and then this appears indefinately:

Thanks!

Same issue. Hoping it's something simple...

Thanks!

do u still get to boot your retail leopard or you're totally stuck to the last line "boot0: done"?

do u still get to boot your retail leopard or you're totally stuck to the last line "boot0: done"?

The only way to boot into Leopard is to use the boot-132 CD I made. I haven't left it at "boot0:done" for more than 2-3 minutes but I feel certain that it's done working as I don't hear my hard drives working.

The only way to boot into Leopard is to use the boot-132 CD I made. I haven't left it at "boot0:done" for more than 2-3 minutes but I feel certain that it's done working as I don't hear my hard drives working.

i'm not really sure so what i can only recommend is to repeat the process from:

1] erase the "MacLoader" partition with Disk Utility;

2] install Chameleon to "MacLoader" partition;

3] just to be sure, fdisk from Terminal to make sure the "MacLoader" partition is set active;

4] copy the initrd.img from your boot-132-disc to the "MacLoader" folder in your desktop; and

5] run the macloader.sh from Terminal.

good luck & hopefully you'd get it working already.

i'm not really sure so what i can only recommend is to repeat the process from:

1] erase the "MacLoader" partition with Disk Utility;

2] install Chameleon to "MacLoader" partition;

3] just to be sure, fdisk from Terminal to make sure the "MacLoader" partition is set active;

4] copy the initrd.img from your boot-132-disc to the "MacLoader" folder in your desktop; and

5] run the macloader.sh from Terminal.

good luck & hopefully you'd get it working already.

I got it to boot past that original error. However, now it kernel panics at the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement" kext. I get a "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" for several lines and then it panics. What's odd is this is the exact initrd.img that I use on my boot disc that works fine.

I got it to boot past that original error. However, now it kernel panics at the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement" kext. I get a "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" for several lines and then it panics. What's odd is this is the exact initrd.img that I use on my boot disc that works fine.

How did you get it to boot past that error? I'm still stuck... I did notice one thing that may be causing problems:

Inside my "Extra" folder all I had was an Extensions.mkext instead of an Extensions *folder* with the kexts in it. I extracted the kexts out and put them in the appropriate spot and deleted the mkext cache (mkextunpack -d Extenstions Extensions.mkext) hoping that would help. I have a feeling that might be your next step in the solution...

My next idea is that maybe the chmod / chown of the kexts are wrong. Should they be set to something in particular? Right now mine are set to root:staff. My Library and usr folders are set to root:admin and root:wheel (respectively). Anyone want to chime in on what these should be set to, if anything in particular?

Another note - the order of the fdisk commands are wrong in the tutorial. the "y" command should come after the "w" command I'm assuming... :-)

How did you get it to boot past that error? I'm still stuck... I did notice one thing that may be causing problems:

Inside my "Extra" folder all I had was an Extensions.mkext instead of an Extensions *folder* with the kexts in it. I extracted the kexts out and put them in the appropriate spot and deleted the mkext cache (mkextunpack -d Extenstions Extensions.mkext) hoping that would help. I have a feeling that might be your next step in the solution...

My next idea is that maybe the chmod / chown of the kexts are wrong. Should they be set to something in particular? Right now mine are set to root:staff. My Library and usr folders are set to root:admin and root:wheel (respectively). Anyone want to chime in on what these should be set to, if anything in particular?

Another note - the order of the fdisk commands are wrong in the tutorial. the "y" command should come after the "w" command I'm assuming... :-)

Got it!

A few notes just to help anyone with the same problems:

If you are seeing this problem - it's likely that your active partition is an EFI partition and not the "MacLoader" partition.

The fdisk command should be

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

and NOT

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsY

I know the guide says this, but that was my first mistake.

Second mistake:

My disk0 had an EFI partition sitting at the front. I'm a coder so most indexes start at 0 and fdisk was a little confusing when you type "print" as to exactly which partition # you should be using, so I assumed my "MacLoader" partition would be 1 with the EFI partition being 0. That was not the case. My "MacLoader" partition was actually partition 2 (just use diskXsY where Y is the actual partition to use). Just a "duh" mistake.

Third problem:

fdisk was having a hard time locking down the MBR to flag the partition as active when trying to write to it. Not sure why or if that ended up causing problems, but it's something to be aware of. If you're having troubles, open up fdisk and do a "print" command and make sure that the correct partition has the "*" next to it.

I reverted my "MacLoader" partition "Extra" folder to having the Extensions.mkext. I haven't tried just removing that yet and replacing it with the kexts themselves, but I'm assuming it will work... will post results in a bit.

This is sweeeet!

The new method of the first post is working great!!! I've done so using my external USB HD and it's fine! Now I'm looking for a nice way to have the nVidia 8400m GS working with QE/CI via EFI string... but this is getting tough!!! Also, looking for a way to make the ACL 268 work via EFI string!

Anyway, thanks MACinized

I cannot seem to get the kexts to work. I can load with a custom build Extensions.mkext in the Extra folder, but I'd love to be able to just work with the kexts themselves and no mkext. Any suggestions? Everytime I go down to just the Extensions folder (and I remove the mkext), none of the kexts load.

Also - I can't seem to get EFI strings working for the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder on "MacLoader". Obviously it's being read as it's loading up my "Macintosh" hard drive just fine... Not sure where to go on this one...

Got it!

A few notes just to help anyone with the same problems:

If you are seeing this problem - it's likely that your active partition is an EFI partition and not the "MacLoader" partition.

The fdisk command should be

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

and NOT

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsY

I know the guide says this, but that was my first mistake.

Second mistake:

My disk0 had an EFI partition sitting at the front. I'm a coder so most indexes start at 0 and fdisk was a little confusing when you type "print" as to exactly which partition # you should be using, so I assumed my "MacLoader" partition would be 1 with the EFI partition being 0. That was not the case. My "MacLoader" partition was actually partition 2 (just use diskXsY where Y is the actual partition to use). Just a "duh" mistake.

Third problem:

fdisk was having a hard time locking down the MBR to flag the partition as active when trying to write to it. Not sure why or if that ended up causing problems, but it's something to be aware of. If you're having troubles, open up fdisk and do a "print" command and make sure that the correct partition has the "*" next to it.

I reverted my "MacLoader" partition "Extra" folder to having the Extensions.mkext. I haven't tried just removing that yet and replacing it with the kexts themselves, but I'm assuming it will work... will post results in a bit.

This is sweeeet!

the guide does say "fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX" but tnx also Kitrik. i overlooked it. "y" should come after the "w" command during fdisk.

instead of creating the bootloader into your "MacLoader" hdd partition, try using a usb flashdisk then boot w/ it. if that works, restore your usb flashdisk bootloader to your "MacLoader" hdd partition making sure "Erase destination" option is checked.

if that will solve your problem, hope someone can advise us as to why u can't directly create the bootloader to your hdd partition.

Hi MACinized,

Is there a way to use this method and still have a working Vista Partition (NTFS)? I'm trying that but the MacLoader only shows me two boot options: MacLoader and Machintosh.

Thanks,

M.

i guess u have them (MacLoader, Macintosh, & partition for vista) in 1 hdd under gpt, right? i believe i had this same issue before having them all under a gpt-hdd. i guess under gpt, u can boot w/ vista by using the boot-132-syslinux way.

i guess u have them (MacLoader, Macintosh, & partition for vista) in 1 hdd under gpt, right? i believe i had this same issue before having them all under a gpt-hdd. i guess under gpt, u can boot w/ vista by using the boot-132-syslinux way.

Yes, my USB HDD is GPT and I have the following:

1st: Vista

2nd: MacLoader

3rd: Macintosh

Now, following you method the Macintosh boot is working great but there is no Vista option while booting... is the any reference for this boot-132-syslinux way... my main goal is to use also the EFI strings to get nVidia 8400m working with QE/CI.

TIA,

M.

Yes, my USB HDD is GPT and I have the following:

1st: Vista

2nd: MacLoader

3rd: Macintosh

Now, following you method the Macintosh boot is working great but there is no Vista option while booting... is the any reference for this boot-132-syslinux way... my main goal is to use also the EFI strings to get nVidia 8400m working with QE/CI.

TIA,

M.

the boot-132-sylinux way i talked about is the same as your boot-132-disc loader but in a usb-flashdisk or an hdd-partition. sadly i haven't been answered too as i've asked the question to some other threads. hopefully someone else could give an answer.

what i can only recommend is to install vista in a separate hdd. my retail leopard + winxp dual-boot setup is this:

1st hdd => 1st partition = MacLoader

=> 2nd partition = WinXP

2nd hdd => Retail Leopard

WHAT A GREAT DAY!

my Retail Mac OS X Leopard is FULLY VANILLA [uNTOUCHED]!

just until a while ago, i have to have the patched AppleHDA.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions. now, the patched AppleHDA.kext can be loaded from MacLoader!

:blowup:

[EDITED POST#1]

from stickpin's guide, didn't find kext for my onboard audio. experimented building an mkext inclusive of my [extra] audio kexts (alcinject + patched applehda) and got them to load from "MacLoader". revised macloader.sh accordingly. :help: