[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

Thanks for the help

But i have a problem. After typing in all the info and rebooting i get a Grey screen with no apple logo and a spinning image. It just sits their.

Anyway around this?

will u boot in verbose mode & post last few lines where it "hangs"?

the community might be able to help you.

good luck.

Package 0 didn't get an HPET.

It shows it over and over

Sorry for the same post three times

btw, you used RETAIL leopard dvd installer, right? just saw in your sig Leo4All v1.

another thing, you've set sata as AHCI & not IDE, right?

not really familiar with the error you're getting so i hope someone else can provide help.

btw, you used RETAIL leopard dvd installer, right? just saw in your sig Leo4All v1.

another thing, you've set sata as AHCI & not IDE, right?

not really familiar with the error you're getting so i hope someone else can provide help.

Yes 10.5 Retail

It is set to AHCI

while i eagerly await for the arrival of the new chameleon, i made a few updates on this method. see post #1.

MACinized: First of all thanks to you for the guide and to roisoft for the method as this one is the best untill new chameleon ;)

I only have a question, as you have modified the MacLoader, I have seen you removed DSDT patching support, is there any reason behind this? I am asking because I am having a couple of not easily reproducible errors regarding SMBIOS and would like to know if it might be DSDT related.

Anyway thanks for all the help and keep it up, as some people believe you have the obligation to do so and don't understand you do this just for being helpfull.

Cheers!

MACinized: First of all thanks to you for the guide and to roisoft for the method as this one is the best untill new chameleon :)

I only have a question, as you have modified the MacLoader, I have seen you removed DSDT patching support, is there any reason behind this? I am asking because I am having a couple of not easily reproducible errors regarding SMBIOS and would like to know if it might be DSDT related.

Anyway thanks for all the help and keep it up, as some people believe you have the obligation to do so and don't understand you do this just for being helpfull.

Cheers!

i did remove the DSDT Patcher. as confirmed by fassl himself, the patcher is not really needed for the 10.5.6. as for my pc specs, i don't need it either.

just in case you can't really run 10.5.6 on your rig, grab and run the DSTD patcher then just put the created DSDT.aml file inside the MacLoader.

good luck.

One last question. It seems to be lagging when switching windows. I didn't have this with Leo4All. Is it something with 10.5.6?

it is not really bad, but noticeable

not really having that kind of problem. have no idea too for the reason behind it so hopefully someone else can shed light.

good luck.

First of all, Thanks everyone for all the information. I usually lurk on here, and have found it to be massively helpful.

I am having ACPI kernel panic. Not sure why.

running 10.5.6, boots fine with boot-132 disc. Trying to use identical kexts.

Any help would be helpful.

shuttle g33g5

c2d 3.0 ghz

4gb ram

Package 0 didn't get an HPET.

It shows it over and over

Sorry for the same post three times

With my Intel DP35DP I get this error when HPET in the BIOS is disabled. Please check if it is enabled and try if it helps if you enable it.

Funnily enough, with 10.5.6, I need a kext disabler that disables the AppleHPET.kext; otherwise my cheap RTL-8169 Ethernet card throws an error at boot time and does not work :)

18. After the successful update to 10.5.6, open MacLoader folder from step 11 then double-click updater.command.

Thanks for your awesome guide, Macinized.

I use a similar script to update the .mkext cache; it mainly differs from update.sh in MacLoader as follows.

• My script is not interactive, i.e. you need to edit it to set the correct partitions etc.
  • It does not copy the retail extensions before building the .mkext; rather it just calls kextcache with a second source directory
  • It saves a backup of your boot files and the list of all retail kexts

Update 02/21/2009:

Changed command line for [kextcache]: now only includes KEXTs needed for boot. This ensures that e.g. KEXTs from Parallels Desktop etc. are not loaded before e.g. AppleSMBIOS.kext is loaded. Instead, they are later on loaded at leisure by kextd. On my machine these KEXTs delayed the boot process by about 5 minutes.

The new command also outputs a nice summary of which KEXTs have been included in the cache.

Here we go.

#!/bin/bash

# Stop on error
set -e

# # # Disk partitions

# Partition to boot from (needs Chameleon 1.0.12 installed)
BOOT="/Volumes/boot"
# Partition with vanilla Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6
SYSTEM="/Volumes/macosx"

# # # Directories with kernel extensions

# Directory with required kernel extensions
KEXT_CUSTOM="$BOOT/Custom"

# Directory with retail extensions
KEXT_RETAIL="$SYSTEM/System/Library/Extensions"

# Directory where Chameleon looks for "Extensions" directory 
# or "Extensions.mkext" kernel extension cache file
EXTRA="$BOOT/Extra"

# Directory for cleaned up custom kernel extensions that
# will be used to build $MKEXT
KEXT_EXTRA="$EXTRA/Extensions"
MKEXT="$EXTRA/Extensions.mkext"

# Archive of custom kernel extension sets used previously
ARCHIVE="$BOOT/Archive"

# # #                Nothing to edit below this line                      # # #
###############################################################################

BOOT_DISK=$( diskutil info "$BOOT" | awk '/Part Of Whole:/ {print $4}' )
BOOT_PART=$( diskutil info "$BOOT" | awk '/Device Identifier:/ {print $3}' )

# Sanity check
if ! mount | egrep "/dev/$BOOT_PART on $BOOT" >/dev/null; then 
   echo "Fatal error: Boot partition \"/dev/$BOOT_PART\" could not be detected or is not mounted at \"$BOOT\""
   exit
fi

if ! [ -f "$SYSTEM/mach_kernel" ]; then
   echo "Fatal error: Invalid system partition \"$SYSTEM\"": 
   echo "File \"$SYSTEM/mach_kernel\" not found"
   exit
fi

if [ -d "$KEXT_EXTRA" ]; then
   rm -rf "$KEXT_EXTRA"
fi

rsync -a "$SYSTEM/mach_kernel" "$BOOT"

for dir in "$KEXT_CUSTOM" "$KEXT_EXTRA" "$EXTRA" "$ARCHIVE"; do
   #echo -n "Creating $dir and setting permissions..."
   mkdir -p "$dir"
   chown root:admin "$dir"
   chmod 775 "$dir"
   #echo "done."
done

#echo -n "Removing com.apple.quarantine attribute from $KEXT_CUSTOM..."
find "$KEXT_CUSTOM" | xargs xattr -d com.apple.quarantine >/dev/null 2>&1
#echo "done."

echo "Copying $KEXT_CUSTOM to $KEXT_EXTRA..."
cd "$KEXT_CUSTOM"
for kext in *.kext ; do 
   echo "    \"$kext\""
   cp -pR "$kext" "$KEXT_EXTRA"
done
echo "done."

#echo -n "Setting permissions of kexts in $KEXT_EXTRA..."
chown -R root:wheel "$KEXT_EXTRA/"*
chmod -R go=u-w "$KEXT_EXTRA/"*
#echo "done."

echo "Creating kextcache $MKEXT from kexts in "
echo "    \"$KEXT_EXTRA\" and "
echo "    \"$KEXT_RETAIL\"..."
# -v 5: be verbose
# -l: only include kexts required for local boot (as specified in their
# Info.plist)
# -a i386: only include kexts for architecture i386.
#   This is very important to
#   ensure that no unwanted kexts are loaded too early. For instance, Parallels
#   Desktop kexts can seriously mess up the boot process if they are already
#   loaded by the booter instead of later on by kextd
# -m "$MKEXT": create kext cache file
echo kextcache -v 5 -l -a i386 -m "$MKEXT" "$KEXT_EXTRA" "$KEXT_RETAIL"
kextcache -v 5 -t -l -a i386 \
   -m "$MKEXT" "$KEXT_EXTRA" "$KEXT_RETAIL" 2>/dev/null \
   | egrep '^compressing' \
   | sed -E \
       -e 's@^compressing '"$KEXT_EXTRA/*"'@Extra:  @' \
       -e 's@^compressing '"$KEXT_RETAIL/*"'@Retail: @' \
       -e 's@\.(kext).*@\1@' \
   | sort | uniq
echo "done."

TS=1970-01-01_0000
if [ -f "$MKEXT" ]; then
   TS=`stat -f "%Sm" -t '%F_%H%M' "$MKEXT"`
else
   TS=`stat -f "%Sm" -t '%F_%H%M' "$KEXT_CUSTOM"`
fi
echo "Storing configuration in $ARCHIVE/$TS..."
mkdir $ARCHIVE/$TS
ls -lA "$KEXT_RETAIL" > "$ARCHIVE/$TS/retail-kextlist.txt"
cp -ipR "$KEXT_CUSTOM" "$ARCHIVE/$TS"
cp -ipR "$MKEXT" "$ARCHIVE/$TS"
cp -ipR "$BOOT/mach_kernel" "$ARCHIVE/$TS"
cp -ipR "$BOOT/boot" "$ARCHIVE/$TS"
cp -ipR "$BOOT/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" "$ARCHIVE/$TS"
dd if="/dev/r${BOOT_PART}" of="$ARCHIVE/$TS/${BOOT_PART}_bootsector.bin" bs=512 count=1
dd if="/dev/${BOOT_DISK}" of="$ARCHIVE/$TS/${BOOT_DISK}_bootsector.bin" bs=512 count=1
dd if="/dev/${BOOT_DISK}" of="$ARCHIVE/$TS/${BOOT_DISK}_mbr.bin" bs=446 count=1
echo "done."

Great tutorial!

I'm having some problems though, was hoping some of you could help me...

I installed using the "generic.iso" Boot-132. It works OK, but I get no sound, and my graphics card has 512MB instead of it's 64MB, and is named "I can has model number?", and my Mac is called "SomeModel."

It really doesn't matter, 'cause I get 130 in Xbench, which is good enough for me.

My problem:

I used your method and installed all the kexts from "generic.iso" + some ALC883 kexts (has worked in a earlier Kalyway OSX86 install) on the first partition, which is on 1GB.

Worked great!

When I boot from the partition, it just blinks through a couple of messages, and "Darwin 5, 4, 3 ,2 ,1" comes up, everything seems ok.

But the loading of Leopard takes forever, you know the grey with the apple, and the spinning thing at the bottom.

And suddenly a prohibitory sign shows up over the apple, and nothing at all happens, it just keeps spinning.

But it works if booting with my Boot-132 Generic CD.

I have S-ATA HDD configured as AHCI, which worked under Kalyways Leopard X86.

Please help me with this problem, I'm SOOO close!

It wasn't... It just won't boot from the partition!! Just from the generic BOOT-132 CD.

What the he..?

It wasn't... It just won't boot from the partition!! Just from the generic BOOT-132 CD.

What the he..?

I booted up from the MacLoader-partition again, this time with "-v".

It seems ok, I can spot this message sometimes: package 0 didn't get a HPET

And at the end, it spits it out once a second.

package 0 didn't get a HPET

So I guess this is the problem... What does it mean?

Still trying to fix this problems I'm having. I now tried installing OSX Leopard 10.5.6, using BOOT-132 generic (40MB ISO with about 15 kexts)

Everything installs fine, but under installation of MacLoader I get "unable to determine UUID for host error 35," but everything can be installed. And I'm seeing some MBR-messages when using fdisk, but I'm using GUID? :S

When I start from the MacLoader-partition, everything seems fine, but it stops.

I don't get the "package 0 didn't get a HPET" anymore, but now I'm stuck with:

"Still waiting for ROOT-device"

AAARGH... What can I do with this problem?

Still trying to fix this problems I'm having. I now tried installing OSX Leopard 10.5.6, using BOOT-132 generic (40MB ISO with about 15 kexts)

Everything installs fine, but under installation of MacLoader I get "unable to determine UUID for host error 35," but everything can be installed. And I'm seeing some MBR-messages when using fdisk, but I'm using GUID? :S

Apple wants every mac to have a unique id (UUID) and uses the MAC address of the primary INTERNAL network card to generate that. This seems fine because EVERY mac has onboard Ethernet. However, your pc either has a PCI Ethernet card or none at all. If you have PCI card, you need to generate an EFI string using EFIStudio and add this to your boot plist. This will tell OS X that your card is actually "Built-in" and thus it will be able to generate the UUID.

The UUID error is also the cause of Time Machine not working btw. Maybe you can try one of the many "Time machine fixes".

When I start from the MacLoader-partition, everything seems fine, but it stops.

I don't get the "package 0 didn't get a HPET" anymore, but now I'm stuck with:

"Still waiting for ROOT-device"

AAARGH... What can I do with this problem?

This message means that your kernel cannot see your hard disk (or less likely that you configured the wrong UUID in boot plist, i.e. one of a partition that does not exist).

Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS?

Sleepimage not loaded after wake from hibernation:

Powering up the system after a deep sleep, hibernation does not load the sleepimage, it is just a normal Darwin boot process. If I push F8 to select which partition to boot from, I get the choice of MacLoader, Vanilla OSX, Windows. Selecting Vanilla OSX starts hibernation and the sleepimage is loaded.

Could you please give me a hint what to do that the sleepimage is accessed automatically at startup?

Thank you very much for your support!

Best regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...