[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

the intention of this method is to keep the retail install untouched. you should try first putting any extra kexts (including the ones for your audio & video) to the "KEXTs" folder. if you're already done setting-up your "MacLoader", then after putting all necessary kexts for your system, just double-click the "updater.command".

good luck.

Thank you! If I erred and installed them in the main system instead, but everything is running (except the video/audio doesn't work) have I damaged things and need to reinstall?

Mike

Thank you! If I erred and installed them in the main system instead, but everything is running (except the video/audio doesn't work) have I damaged things and need to reinstall?

Mike

i'm not really sure where your extra kexts should go if you installed chameleon 2.0 to the main-retail install. haven't really tried installing chameleon to my main-retail install. :)

but since you've already installed chameleon into your main-retail leopard, then you might try as well [properly] loading your other extra kexts (e.g. audio+video) inside the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

or, you can restart from the beginning, that is, reinstalling leopard to setting-up MacLoader the first time again. :(

good luck.

i'm not really sure where your extra kexts should go if you installed chameleon 2.0 to the main-retail install. haven't really tried installing chameleon to my main-retail install. :)

but since you've already installed chameleon into your main-retail leopard, then you might try as well [properly] loading your other extra kexts (e.g. audio+video) inside the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

or, you can restart from the beginning, that is, reinstalling leopard to setting-up MacLoader the first time again. :)

good luck.

My gratitude for your help. Just a couple of questions.

1. Does it matter where I store the Macloader folder? Is it used after establishing the macloader partition?

2. can I boot from a boot132 cd and perform surgery on my macloader partition, removing any stray kext's that I don't need or don't work, or should I create a new macloader partition when needed?

3. What is the minimum size for a Macloader partition? is using a fast device (flash) going to speed up loading/booting?

Thanks

Mike

My gratitude for your help. Just a couple of questions.

1. Does it matter where I store the Macloader folder? Is it used after establishing the macloader partition?

2. can I boot from a boot132 cd and perform surgery on my macloader partition, removing any stray kext's that I don't need or don't work, or should I create a new macloader partition when needed?

3. What is the minimum size for a Macloader partition? is using a fast device (flash) going to speed up loading/booting?

Thanks

Mike

1. No, it doesn't. However MacLoader is a partition, not a folder. Typically on the same drive as the Mac install. What will happen is that the system will boot the MacLoader partition at which a bootloader is installed. That bootloader loads the modified kext, boot.plist, etc. and then knows to boot your mac install on the other partition.
  2. Yes, if you pop in your boot-132 cd you select boot device 80 (primary harddisk), then your retail install partition, which will make the boot cd load the retail without the modifications applied to the MacLoader.
  3. Don't know about minimum size, typically it is 200MB. As long as you can store your kext in it you should be fine. So maybe a few MB's (didn't try it though). Would a flash drive boost performance, test it with some tools, if your throughput through the usb is greater than your harddisk it should, but I doubt it will...

I've only been working with my Hackintosh for just a couple of weeks now, but this thread has been one of the most helpful so far. Unfortunately, I'm not savvy enough to coax Chameleon 2.0 into playing nice on my machine, so I'm not able to use your method from start to finish, MACinized. Each attempt with Chameleon 2.0 that I've tried so far has just resulted in a boot1:error message, whether using your script or not, using a separate 'MacLoader' partition that your technique uses, or trying to use the EFI partition like others suggest.

So then I tried using your scripts again, but commented out the line that runs the Chameleon 2.0 installer, and just running an installer from a previous version of Chameleon at that time. I think this is the one I tried: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142628 It's my understanding that that is PC_EFIv9 aka. sometimes (I guess?) Chameleon 1.0.12. It still creates an Extra folder on the target volume, so I could still use your scripts (I think I commented out or modified the line that checks for the Themes folder since those are a 2.0 thing.)

But still no dice. In fact, the only bootloader that has worked for me so far is the one loaded by PCWIZ's utility OSX86 Universal Installer: http://######.com/index.php?option=...view&id=149 This is especially bewildering since you can see from the screenshot that it is also PC_EFIv9. I guess there's something that installer does that the other one does not. I should probably check to see if it's logged somewhere on my computer.

Then I let your installation script continue, letting it build the KEXTs and plist and so forth. But as you may already be thinking, your script places com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder, whereas PC_EFIv9 looks for the same file in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, a fact that was made known to me after rebooting to an error message about a missing com.apple.Boot file in the above path.

So on my MacLoader volume, I created the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and in the terminal moved the com.apple.Boot.plist file your script created from the Extra folder to the above folder. Leopard booted right up.

I only found this thread a few days ago, so I apologize if this is maybe what an older version of your script did and I'm just rehashing it, but maybe it'll help someone else who is having problems with Chameleon 2.0, but still wants to keep a "TOTALLY VANILLA" retail install.

A couple of things though:

4. Make at least two (2) [Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] partitions. One for our MacLoader (only about 200MB or less) and then one for the retail Leopard install. DO NOT use space(s) for the names of these two partitions.

I'm using a WD 640GB drive, and in Disk Utility, the smallest partition it would let me make was 1GB. That's not really much of a loss in comparison to the whole drive, but I couldn't help but wonder if there's another way. I tried reading man pages for fdisk and pdisk, but that was a tad overwhelming. So I tried a gparted live CD, and it did not like my system for some reason. I think it's because I'm running my first 2 system hard drives in RAID1, so that controller is in RAID mode. My OS X volume is a single drive, but the RAID1 has my Vista install. In fact, running that controller in RAID has been the cause of MANY of my Hackintosh problems, but dropping the RAID1 is not an option, so I'll just keep on truckin.

But anyway, do you know of another utility for partitioning drives that can be a little more precise? Or is there an option in Disk Utility I'm missing?

n.b.

To disable automount for the MacLoader, thus you will not see the partition in your desktop and make any unintentional edits, execute the following in Terminal:

sudo nano /etc/fstab
 UUID="MacLoader's UUID" none hfs rw,noauto
 [CTRL]+o		(to save)
 [ENTER]
 [CTRL]+x		(to exit)

You can still easily mount it back by using Disk Utility.

This is really helpful info that is in your first post, but it's not currently in your Readme file in the zip archive. I think it might be good if it was in there though, in case someone is using your guide but can't get online at that point.

Also, one last thing I caught while looking through your scripts. On line 89 of macloader.sh and line 86 of updater.sh, you have it pulling the UUID of /Volumes/Macintosh and I think you mean /Volumes/$MAC.

Like I said, I couldn't get your guide and scripts to work for me 'out of the box' but I really like its fundamentals. Thanks for posting it.

tnx a lot BigJustinTurbo for your comments/observations and especially to your correction/s to the script.

i've re-attached the "MacLoader5.1".

btw, so far, i haven't really looked for a way to create a (guid) partition that's less than 1gb. perhaps there is a way but as you've said, 1gb is no longer much of a space these days. :(

good luck to your OSx86 experience. :thumbsup_anim:

updated again post#1 for the enhanced MacLoader.

there's no need anymore to manually install chameleon.

another improvement is MacLoader is now automatically set as the primary boot device (i.e. no need to fdisk).

hopefully this is more user-friendly now. :)

good luck & enjoy.

just can't get enough! ;)

sacrificing hours of sleep/rest, i once again modified the MacLoader.

MacLoader5.2 fell short to the requirements of my system. some of my extra kexts were not being loaded (i.e. audio kexts) that's why i have to make use of the whole chameleon 2.0 installer package.

same noob-friendly approach (no manual install of chameleon & no manual fdisk).

again, let's enjoy our stay in the OSx86 community! :unsure:

1. No, it doesn't. However MacLoader is a partition, not a folder. Typically on the same drive as the Mac install. What will happen is that the system will boot the MacLoader partition at which a bootloader is installed. That bootloader loads the modified kext, boot.plist, etc. and then knows to boot your mac install on the other partition.
  2. Yes, if you pop in your boot-132 cd you select boot device 80 (primary harddisk), then your retail install partition, which will make the boot cd load the retail without the modifications applied to the MacLoader.
  3. Don't know about minimum size, typically it is 200MB. As long as you can store your kext in it you should be fine. So maybe a few MB's (didn't try it though). Would a flash drive boost performance, test it with some tools, if your throughput through the usb is greater than your harddisk it should, but I doubt it will...

Just to finish this threadlet, I think I've got everything working fine now. I recreated the macloader partition rather than playing around with the one I had created.

The only problem was, out of fatigue, I made the partition 200 gb rather than 200 mb. I guess that means I have too much hd space overall if I don't miss 200 gb. Probably going to use iPartition to change it to 1 gb when I get around to it.

Thanks to all,

Mike

Hi MACinized,

Congratulations on an excellet tutorial :unsure: . Clear and precise step by step explaination.

However I can't 'download this MacLoader' in step 9 :( . It is no more available in MediaFire.

Is this the same file as the one that is at the end of the tutorial i.e. MacLoader 5.2.1.zip?

How to update from earlier version of MacLoader (with Chameleon 1.0.12)to the latest one with Chameleon 2.0 r431 without going throught ythe whole installation process?

Thanks again for your time and have a nice day.

question though! i used this technique. I have kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel running. Can i take updates from apple direct or i cant?? that is my only question!

i believe u don't need this method anymore if you're using kalyway (or any other) distro. and from what i know, you won't be able to install [system] updates direct from apple website.

Hi MACinized,

Congratulations on an excellet tutorial -_- . Clear and precise step by step explaination.

However I can't 'download this MacLoader' in step 9 :( . It is no more available in MediaFire.

Is this the same file as the one that is at the end of the tutorial i.e. MacLoader 5.2.1.zip?

How to update from earlier version of MacLoader (with Chameleon 1.0.12)to the latest one with Chameleon 2.0 r431 without going throught ythe whole installation process?

Thanks again for your time and have a nice day.

re-checked and placed the direct download link. but you're right, the attached MacLoader5.2.1.zip is the same file that can be downloaded from step 9.

when updating the bootloader (MacLoader), you need not "touch" your retail leopard install. just double-click the "macloader.command" provided in MacLoader 5.2.1.

good luck.

I was trying the 132 CD maker in your signature and no matter what I do I get a checksum error when I boot with the CD.

fwiw, burning a CD-RW from iso genrated by Galaxy's latest slimbuild script results in the same error.

I've tried with both .mkext and just /extensions folder.

I've tried with AppleDecrypt.kext instead of the included DSMOS.kext..

In the end I tried to burn it without adding any kexts and I still get the checksum error.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Post-post EDITs

A little searching reveals http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=925524

but I don't know if it's appropriate in this case.

And here's the reason for the checksum error. But it doesn't explain why it works for some people and not for others.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=925242

Hi, this is my hardware and I want to know if it's supported with the method of this post:

Proccesor: Intel Pentium 4 2.40Ghz

MB: P4P800 Rev2.00A

Video: Gforce FX5200 DVI 128Mb

Another computer have this configuration:

Proccesor: AMD 64 Athlon

Motherboard: GA-K8NS Pro

Graphics: Gforce FX5200 DVI 128Mb

Aditionally I have this other video card:

ASUS AGP-V7100 (T) No DVI

I have Leopard from my iMac and MBP, so If this will work I can try. But the kext or driver from my HW ?? I suppose I must burn it in the BOOT-132 application in order to boot the installation with the right drivers.

Can you help my?? I tried with Kalyway but I prefer this method.

Thanks.

I've been having some issues getting retail leopard up and running on my Gibabyte ga-ep45-ds3r.

I used boot 132 cd (for motherboard) from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry886882

and extensions (for motherboard) from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114834

Then, followed all directions on this thread to install my retail 10.5.4 DVD.

My problem is I am unable to boot in Chameleon from MacLoader partition. Error is:

Loading Darwin

Can't find mach_kernel

I am able to boot to OS X partition, and leopard is fully updated to 10.5.6. The problem is I have no sound and extensions are not installed, etc...

While running macloader.command, everything went without a hitch except

"fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory"

Although process said complete.

As suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reinstalling macloader

Howdy.

If I install a macloader partition successfully but want to change the extensions I'm loading (say, I find a better video kext or change my sound card) how do I go about it? Do I just erase the old partition and re-run the macloader script?

Best,

Mike

Thanks to all of you for this wonderful install method.

I have been successful in installing a full vanilla 10.5.6 on my Dell Inspiron 1720 using the already-available Dell XPS boot-132 disc.

Right now everything works, apart from sleep/halt/restart :

- GeForce 8600M GT 256M => no injector used, works with EFI strings : full QE/CI and external display support (used Leopard Graphics Update)

- Sound (Sigmatel 9205) works with Dell Laptop Post-Installer

- LAN (Broadcom 440x), ditto

- PS/2 Keyboard/Touchpad works (with ACPIPS2Nub ; VoodooPS2 drives my ALPS trackpad crazy, so I won't use it until it's stable)

I had the good idea of installing on another drive than my working iAtkos 5i 10.5.5 install, so I was able to determine necessary kexts easily. When all was good, I simply restored my new 10.5.6 drive over my "old" 10.5.5.

Guys & gals from Insanelyac, I'll never thank you enough, I have been using Leopard as my one-and-only OS on this laptop for over 4 months without a glitch. This is now my primary workstation at home *and* at work (previously I used KUbuntu + Photoshop over XP over VMWare).

Reinstalling macloader

Howdy.

If I install a macloader partition successfully but want to change the extensions I'm loading (say, I find a better video kext or change my sound card) how do I go about it? Do I just erase the old partition and re-run the macloader script?

Best,

Mike

u can just run the updater.command then follow prompts.

Hey,

Does macloader support other kernels besides the vanilla one (I'm running an AMD system)?

Thanks in advance,

MGJulius

not automatically but u can do it manually.

1st, u got to delete the mach_kernel from the macloader partition. then copy your custom kernel (e.g. voodoo.kernel) to the root of the macloader partition. lastly, edit the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder of the macloader partition accordingly.

if i find time, i'll provide support for other kernels. :mellow:

good luck.

thanks very much for this guide ive install using your guide 10.5.6. new im testing will post back

a little thing to create a small quid partition for macloader

1 create a partition

2 keep adding partitions by clicking the + sign until its the size you want

3 delete the ones you dont need

Wow, this tutorial looks really great.

I am having Kalyway installed now, buy I found it's to much trouble to install Apple updates.

I am gonna give this a try.

One more question:

Will boot camp work on this settings like in a real mac?

I want to install Windows and Ubuntu as well.

thanks again to the community for your hard work. to the teachers a special big up and to leachers like

my self well we are learning, i relay like this method as im afraid of terminal work

and its relay easy to create a mkext and just drag and drop it the extra folder on the macloader partition

its a easy way to try out different kext.

i made lots of kext combinations into mkext and kept trying them out until ive found the best set for my rig

only problem im having now when i copy and paste this

UUID="MacLoader's UUID" none hfs rw,noauto

to hide the macloader im getting command not found any ideas irie people

First of all you're not suppose to edit directly 'sudo nano /etc/fstab'. On Leopard it is supposed to be use with 'vifs', if you want to use 'nano' for editing purposes do this instead =>

export EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
sudo vifs

For fstab settings should be like this =>

UUID=1234-5678-101112 /Volumes/"Label" hfs rw,noauto 0 0

im just not understanding this and i know its me, when im to do terminal stuff ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so im reading this thread again.

Okay, quick question. Any help would be appreciated!

I have Kalyway on one partition and a native 10.5.6 on another partition of the same hard drive. Chameleon, which has been installed via the installer, is on both partitions. When I boot, Chameleon opens and recognizes BOTH partitions (I believe the actual Chameleon that is booting is the one from the Kalyway partition) upon boot. If I boot into Kalyway it works fine. If I boot into native 10.5.6 then it locks up upon start (I get the grey screen saying "You must restart your Mac. Hit restart button" etc etc.

I am quite sure 10.5.6 locks up upon boot because of the lack of kexts and other necessary files to run on my system. I want to allieveate this. Can I take all the Kalyway Kexts (located in my library/extensions folder, I assume?) and install them (while running the Kalyway partition) onto my retail partition and get it to boot appropriately (using this thread's software or something similar?). Any advice or ideas on how to do this? Thanks in advance!

Asus P5B deluxe (with all the JMicron issues...kext installed on Kalyway)

e6600 Intel Core 2 Duo

2 gig ram

IDE (in AHCI mode) SATA WD hard drives (Chameleon sees all of this, it's great!)

Other questions? Let me know, please!

Pete

EDIT/UPDATE!!

I use MacLoader to install the Kext files (just the standard ones I have) and it asks, in terminal, which partition I want to use and which bootloader I want to use. Remember Have Chameleon on both partitions (the MacHD (which Kalyway is on) and MAC (which retail is on). At prompt, I ask it to make MAC active boot, with MacLoader loading those kexts in that partition, etc, etc. When I go to reset Chameleon still loads from the MacHD partition (which I assume is so because MacHD becomes the default timeout loader). If I select MacHD at Chameleon then Chameleon loads fine, but if I choose MAC I still get the hangup "please researt your computer" at boot. Any thoughts?

PS (edit 2) I DO get the "uuid not found error 35 errors" in MacLoader

I am having a lot of trouble getting retail to install, i have been over this again and again and no matter what i do I cannot get internet working, actually I haven't successfully gotten much of anything working. The last 2 minutes of the installer slows down significantly and then when it finally finished it has a big yellow error symbol and says the install failed and it instructs me to restart. I have my log and here is a bit of it; i will gladly send it directly to you if you have any thoughts.

The no receipt error goes on for a couple hundred lines.

May  7 07:58:21 localhost /Volumes/leaopard/private/tmp/scripts.i8p6/./postinstall[2210]: No receipt for 'com.apple.pkg.OSInstall' found at '/Volumes/leaopard'.
May  7 07:58:21 localhost /Volumes/leaopard/private/tmp/scripts.i8p6/./postinstall[2210]: No receipt for 'com.apple.pkg.OSInstall' found at '/Volumes/leaopard'.
May  7 07:58:21 localhost root[3530]: End script: aclmodify.pl
May  7 07:58:21 localhost root[3531]: Begin script: iLifebkpluginMove.pl
May  7 07:58:21 localhost root[3534]: End script: iLifebkpluginMove.pl
May  7 07:58:21 localhost root[3535]: Begin script: postinstall
May  7 07:58:21 localhost root[3538]: Running kextcache -k /Volumes/leaopard/System/Library/Extensions
May  7 07:58:26 localhost root[3540]: Running ifcstart
May  7 07:58:27 localhost /Volumes/leaopard/private/tmp/scripts.i8p6/./postinstall[2210]: 2009-05-07 07:58:26.985 ifcstart[3541:613] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
May  7 07:58:27 localhost installdb[873]: done. (0.482u + 0.747s)
May  7 07:58:28 localhost root[3542]: Running update_dyld_shared_cache
May  7 07:59:04 localhost root[3544]: End script: postinstall
May  7 07:59:04 localhost root[3545]: 6 Install Scripts run.
May  7 07:59:04 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Writing installation cookies
May  7 07:59:04 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Removing temporary directory "/Volumes/leaopard/BaseSystem.pkg.146e4oOax"
May  7 07:59:05 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Finalize disk "leaopard"
May  7 07:59:05 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Finalizing Disk for OS Install
May  7 07:59:05 localhost Unknown[66]: 2009-05-07 07:59:05.928 bless[3547:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
May  7 07:59:06 localhost Unknown[66]: Could not set boot device property: 0xe00002c7
May  7 07:59:06 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Unable to set 'leaopard' as boot disk
May  7 07:59:06 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Install failed: The Installer could not make the computer start up from the volume “leaopard”.  You may need to select your disk using the Startup Disk utility.
May  7 07:59:07 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Memory statistics for 'Install Failed' pane:
May  7 07:59:07 localhost OSInstaller[146]: Physical Memory Allocation:   199 MB wired,   124 MB trapped,   684 MB active,   355 MB inactive,   686 MB free,  1725 MB usable,  2048 MB total
May  7 08:01:22 localhost Unknown[66]: 2009-05-07 08:01 Mac OS X Installer[146] (CarbonCore.framework) FSEventStreamStart: ERROR: FSEvents_connect() => Unknown service name (1102)
May  7 08:01:27 localhost OSInstaller[146]: installAutoFSMonitor: open failed

The beginning of the install is riddled with:

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

intel dp35dp

core 2 duo e7400

geforce 9500 1gig XFX

2 gigs ram

sata-dvd/rw

sata-hdd GPT

THANKS!

Hey guys.

A little help here. I am able to install a fully operational retail system with my kexts. However, when I use any /Extra/Extensions.mkext method, I end up with the line

InterfaceNamer: waiting for IOKit to quiesce.

Any idea what is causing that problem? However, when using the old chameleon, I am able to boot without graphics or audio support with the /Extra/Extensions.mkext

thanks guys!

system specs:

MSI P43-F Neo3

nVidia 9600 GT

C2D E7200