AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

I thought the iPC 10.5.6 Universal release was based on 10.5.4, but installs a complete 10.5.6 system when done because of the included combo update.

Worst that can happen to you if you load a bad kext is the system doesn't boot, just make sure to put the old kext in an easy to get to place (desktop works fine) so that you can boot from the install DVD and get to terminal and copy the working kext back over.

My guess would be you've got a kext loading that's not getting along with your system, maybe you can take a look in the profiler and see which extensions you have loaded, and also a lspci output (OSX86Tools) so we can see what your system is detecting for hard drive controllers. There might be another kext that's taking control vs the patched AppleVIAATA kext provided in this thread.

There's everything. I'm going to try to replace my AppleSMBIOS.kext with my old one. Hopefully I'll get RAM information in the profiler and the correct CPU clock speed. Attached are the requested info. Sorry I couldn't grab the extensions in a more convenient txt list, but I was in a rush.

extensions1.tiff

extensions2.tiff

pcioutput.txt

First thing I notice is the AppleVIAATA kext you've got isn't the one posted in this thread, if you goto the download link at the first post on this thread there's a link to download the AppleVIAATA.kext v0.2 and that should help you with your problems.

One other option you could consider is running your hard drives in AHCI mode, I noticed that they're most likely being detected as IDE drives right now, and as far as I know, the AHCI drivers don't have the KP problems with 4+GB of ram.

Give the kext posted in this thread a shot and post back here with your results!

As in my previous post I cant boot the dvd. Does anyone know how i can boot the dvd. The BIOS boot priority is set to dvd and it won't boot. Is there another way for me to boot the DVD. This is the kernel panic Im getting after an accidental software update. PLEASE HELP! I can pay someone if thats what its going to take im desperate at this point.

I am not versed in computers but I have a hackintosh running leopard 10.5.2 with 4 gigs of ram, intel quad core 2.4 ghz

ddr2 800, nvidia 8500 gt 512 mb. 500gb SATA-II.

100_0931.jpg

Yes but that kext is the exact same one that has worked in the past on my 10.5.4 install, so I don't know why it wouldn't work in the 10.5.6 update

Possibly they have made changes in the kernel or other parts of the system that have a bad effect on those kexts. Who knows, there's alot of changes that occur when you do a system update like that.

I'd give the kext posted in this thread a shot, as it as, you don't have a very stable system so not much to lose.

I'm repairing permissions right now... I'll reboot and tell if it's not working again. Usually a kernel panic happens when I'm downloading a torrent with Transmission to my NTFS SATA drive, so I'll do that to test if the new kext is working or not.

EDIT: Rebooted without errors. Now testing if I'm going to get another Kernel Panic...

Also, will replacing my 10.5.6 AppleSMBIOS.kext with my old working AppleSMBIOS.kext fix the About This Mac showing incorrect clock speeds and the RAM information not loading in System Profiler?

EDIT: It appears that my system is working fine with the new AppleVIAATA.kext; no Kernel Panics so far after file manipulation on my NTFS SATA drive. Now will the old SMBIOS.kext fix the About This Mac?

slashhack, thanks for discovering this! I am suffering from the problem, as demonstrated by testing with rember and using a IO load tot he disks. I panic with JMicron error.

I have been having these lockups for a year now, and never new about the debug=0x100 to generate a kernel panic on the screen.

I tried using both JMicron kexts you provide, and even though each Info.plist contains my device id in them, the boot process still cannot find my drives unless I use the original JMicron.kext. If I use yours, I get Still waiting for root device.

Boots fine once I swap back to the original kext.

Do you have any idea why this may be? I would really like to use your JMicronn kext to resolve this long time issue.

EDIT: Posted picture of panic.

post-6775-1233419638_thumb.jpg

Found a new bug in the 0.1 version of the NForceATA kext. It has lots of problems with dvd drives. When it's integrated into an OS X dvd and you're booting from it, you'll get a still waiting for root error. When it's loaded into OS X after it's installed, then it won't mount any dvd's that are put in. But the strange thing is that after waiting 10-15 minutes, it will detect it as a blank dvd when it's not.

My hardware specs:

P5N32-E SLI Plus - uses mcp55 storage driver

Core 2 Quad Q6600 cpu

8 gb of ram

sata hard drives

sata blu-ray/dvd-rw drive

Previously with the test version of the kext when it was integrated into an OS X install dvd it was able to find the root device which is the dvd to boot from. And that was able to mount dvd's just fine for me without every one of them being detected as a blank dvd.

Kext is available from here.

I've got a similar problem.

I downloaded iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 which has the AppleNForceATA over 4gb RAM bug solved kext. Installed and booted fine but it won't read dvd's. I've only tried it on my SATA drives but with the AppleNForceATATest.kext from MEDevil SATA drives work fine in 10.5.5

I'll try the test kext in 10.5.6

I've got a similar problem.

I downloaded iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 which has the AppleNForceATA over 4gb RAM bug solved kext. Installed and booted fine but it won't read dvd's. I've only tried it on my SATA drives but with the AppleNForceATATest.kext from MEDevil SATA drives work fine in 10.5.5

I'll try the test kext in 10.5.6

The test kext randomly freezes sometimes, so that's only a solution for booting off of the os x dvd.

slashhack, thanks for discovering this! I am suffering from the problem, as demonstrated by testing with rember and using a IO load tot he disks. I panic with JMicron error.

I have been having these lockups for a year now, and never new about the debug=0x100 to generate a kernel panic on the screen.

I tried using both JMicron kexts you provide, and even though each Info.plist contains my device id in them, the boot process still cannot find my drives unless I use the original JMicron.kext. If I use yours, I get Still waiting for root device.

Boots fine once I swap back to the original kext.

Do you have any idea why this may be? I would really like to use your JMicronn kext to resolve this long time issue.

EDIT: Posted picture of panic.

Make a dump and attach it. See first post if u don´t know how to make a dump.

The test kext randomly freezes sometimes, so that's only a solution for booting off of the os x dvd.

I don´t have MeDevil´s Test kext source, so i cannot fix it. I´ve asked, but got no anwser. If anyone finds it, then i´ll fix it. But if someone has troubles with my version of AppleNForceATA and MeDevil´s test one works fine but doesn´t support more than 2 gb of RAM, then there is no solution for that.

I don´t have MeDevil´s Test kext source, so i cannot fix it. I´ve asked, but got no anwser. If anyone finds it, then i´ll fix it. But if someone has troubles with my version of AppleNForceATA and MeDevil´s test one works fine but doesn´t support more than 2 gb of RAM, then there is no solution for that.

I assume your request means that MeDevil's Test kext is not a modded version of his normal kext based on the source file downloadable here?

Excellent Work! I've been dealing with only occasional KPs using a old AppleVIAATA kext. Sometimes right at boot but often it would go through and then only panic if I tried to do too much with my IDE HD or DVDRW. So far this has been running perfectly on my rig.

BTW, came to this thread after seeing your post on P5K-SE ICH9 SATA + Marvell 88SE61xx PATA patch and I can confirm that this works well with my Marvell 88SE6101 (11ab:6101, rev b2).

So far I've only tested in 10.5.5 but will be trying it on my trial 5.6 partition soon.

Thanks again.

Sladhack,

Reading your instructions on the first page, it will be impossible to take a dump.

Reason is, using your kext, it will not even get past "Waiting for root device" at boot time.

If I use the regular JMicron.kext, I suffer from the lock ups (have 8gb ram). I proved this by running rember while doing a copy of a file. It panic'd with my screenshot in a few posts up above.

If I use your kext to fix this problem, the boot process never detects my drives.

Could you give me new addvice other than create a dump? I cant do that if I can't get to the terminal.

Thanks

Sladhack,

Reading your instructions on the first page, it will be impossible to take a dump.

Reason is, using your kext, it will not even get past "Waiting for root device" at boot time.

If I use the regular JMicron.kext, I suffer from the lock ups (have 8gb ram). I proved this by running rember while doing a copy of a file. It panic'd with my screenshot in a few posts up above.

If I use your kext to fix this problem, the boot process never detects my drives.

Could you give me new addvice other than create a dump? I cant do that if I can't get to the terminal.

Thanks

I need a dump. Use the JMicron kext that works for you and make a dump with that. Then post it and wait.

As in my previous post I cant boot the dvd. Does anyone know how i can boot the dvd. The BIOS boot priority is set to dvd and it won't boot. Is there another way for me to boot the DVD. This is the kernel panic Im getting after an accidental software update. PLEASE HELP! I can pay someone if thats what its going to take im desperate at this point.

I am not versed in computers but I have a hackintosh running leopard 10.5.2 with 4 gigs of ram, intel quad core 2.4 ghz

ddr2 800, nvidia 8500 gt 512 mb. 500gb SATA-II.

100_0931.jpg

Can u boot any dvd? Maybe osx dvd is scratched, or doesn't work. U need to boot from dvd and remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. U can use either any osx dvd that boots in your system, or windows with macdrive, or any linux with hfs support.

thanks for responding slash....i bought a new osx leopard dvd and it won't boot. I dont hear the dvd even spool or spin up.... I don't have windows intalled on it so i cant use that.... i have never done linux or hfs...is there a way to force the dvd to boot?

Download ubuntu live cd, burn it at the lowest speed. try booting with that.

Is your drive plugged correctly? Does the bios detect it?

I need a dump. Use the JMicron kext that works for you and make a dump with that. Then post it and wait.

Thanks for your willingness to look at this.

Problem again is that your JMicron.kext does not find my disks.

Attached is dump you requested.

I suffer from the panics when using regular JMicron + 8GB ram.

dump.txt

Thanks for your willingness to look at this.

Problem again is that your JMicron.kext does not find my disks.

Attached is dump you requested.

I suffer from the panics when using regular JMicron + 8GB ram.

You have the JMicron SATA ports in AHCI mode, thats probably why you are not booting with the 64-bit-fixed JMicron.kext, its wrongly attaching to the JMicron AHCI controller. Try this fixed JMicronATA I posted in this other thread. Its the same as slashack's but it works when running in AHCI mode.