AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

Why are you using the tiger version for leopard?

Use the Leopard version for Leopard.

Which file should I be using? The only NFORCE drivers I see on the Google Code site are for 10.4.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the right one now. I guess I was just thrown off because it was so much older than the other release. I'll give it a try now.

EDIT 2: Still not reading CDs/DVDs :) I removed the old .kext and deleted Extensions.mkext and booted with -f, but still the same problem as before.

Which file should I be using? The only NFORCE drivers I see on the Google Code site are for 10.4.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the right one now. I guess I was just thrown off because it was so much older than the other release. I'll give it a try now.

EDIT 2: Still not reading CDs/DVDs :rolleyes: I removed the old .kext and deleted Extensions.mkext and booted with -f, but still the same problem as before.

Reply with a dump attached and i´ll take a look at it.

I apologize. Here is the file.

Acording to this you have:

SATA:

1- ST3300620AS HDD

2- Empty

3- LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S

IDE:

1 - ST3120026A

2 - Empty.

Is this right?

Is the LITE-ON DVDRW the drive u cant see?

What driver? Can u send a picture of the underrun error, or whatever error you got?

The driver I used was called:

AppleNForceATA.kext v0.1

Here is some screen shots of the error I'm getting. Sometimes it won't even find the root device and other times it will. In 10.5.5 though it does work fine for me. I did get it to sync the disks up for the first time when it had finished installing 10.5.6 and it rebooted but after that, I either got still looking for root device or data underrun error.

post-5249-1230512003_thumb.jpg

post-5249-1230512024_thumb.jpg

The driver I used was called:

AppleNForceATA.kext v0.1

Here is some screen shots of the error I'm getting. Sometimes it won't even find the root device and other times it will. In 10.5.5 though it does work fine for me. I did get it to sync the disks up for the first time when it had finished installing 10.5.6 and it rebooted but after that, I either got still looking for root device or data underrun error.

I have done a clean system installation of Leopard 10.5.6 on an External eSATA HDD (OS X volume partitioned as MBR) connected to my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (nForce 650i) + Intel Q6600 G0 3.0GHz CPU with subsequent manual installation of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for successful running of 6GB RAM with full CI/QE, USB 2.0, audio, networking (RTL8169 NIC), eSATA, and Firewire 400 (IEEE1394a) operation......the key requirement for success is that when installing the Voodoo 9.5.0 RV v1.0 kernel (required for AMD or SSE2 or non-vanilla MOBO systems, e.g. nForce chipset MOBOs) under 10.5.6 you MUST also install the 10.5.5 Seatbelt.kext.....see my blog entry..... :thumbsup_anim:

I have done a clean system installation of Leopard 10.5.6 on an External eSATA HDD (OS X volume partitioned as MBR) connected to my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (nForce 650i) + Intel Q6600 G0 3.0GHz CPU with subsequent manual installation of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for successful running of 6GB RAM with full CI/QE, USB 2.0, audio, networking (RTL8169 NIC), eSATA, and Firewire 400 (IEEE1394a) operation......the key requirement for success is that when installing the Voodoo 9.5.0 RV v1.0 kernel (required for AMD or SSE2 or non-vanilla MOBO systems, e.g. nForce chipset MOBOs) under 10.5.6 you MUST also install the 10.5.5 Seatbelt.kext.....see my blog entry..... :thumbsup_anim:

I tried that and this is the result I get.

I'm reading your blog entry and the link to the nforcelan drivers kext is broken btw :star_smile:

post-5249-1230515236_thumb.jpg

post-5249-1230515257_thumb.jpg

@ pyrates Are you running a SATA DVDRW? Edit: thanks for tip about link.......now fixed........:thumbsup_anim:

Nope, it's 2 pata dvd drives. One is a dvd-rw and the other is just a dvd drive.

Should be no need to worry about your SATA HDDs......but Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO only has 1 IDE (PATA) channel if I remember correctly.......are you running PATA DVD drives with Cable Select jumper settings, or as DVDRW jumper set to Master and DVDROM jumper set to Slave........?

Should be no need to worry about your SATA HDDs......but Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO only has 1 IDE (PATA) channel if I remember correctly.......are you running PATA DVD drives with Cable Select jumper settings, or as DVDRW jumper set to Master and DVDROM jumper set to Slave........?

They're running as master and slave.

@ pyrates Are you running a SATA DVDRW? Edit: thanks for tip about link.......now fixed........;)

Found another bug in your tutorial :D Here is where it happens:

MD5 checksum of PPF1 patched ISO: 0fbdc0ed0bed502e026cca9cf42efa2c

Or, a PPF1 patched .iso file patched again with PPF2........MD5 checked of patched ISO after PPF2 patching: 0c93dea47a999344a3b4303740f623f9

You got the md5 checksums backwards. They should be like this:

MD5 checksum of PPF1 patched ISO: 0c93dea47a999344a3b4303740f623f9

Or, a PPF1 patched .iso file patched again with PPF2........MD5 checked of patched ISO after PPF2 patching: 0fbdc0ed0bed502e026cca9cf42efa2c

The md5 checksum however for the initial iso file is fine.

One more thing, you might also want to include is installing the nforce lan kext that you had at the beginning of your tutorial, and then the nforce storage driver as usual. That finally got my 2 onboard lan ports working. Since you have virtually the same hardware as me except I have 8 gb of ram instead of 6 and a 8600 GTS 256 MB video card. But your guide worked great. Thank you so much for figuring this stuff all out.

Additional steps I took are installing firefox 3.0.5, carbon copy cloner and making sure all updates were installed. I also ran osx86 tools and enabled Quartz GL and rebooted. Then I ran UInstaller and selected the following:

-Set drive to mine to install to

-Set time out to 5 seconds

-Set native resolution to my monitors

-Install PC EFI v9 Chameleon Edition 1.0.12

-Time machine fix

-Set efi string for video card to NVidia 8600GTS 256MB

And rebooted to make sure everything is working right.

Then edited the About This Mac to show my actual CPU instead of unknown cpu. Edited the file instead of using OSX86 tools. If you try using OSX86 tools, it will not work and you'll have to use that to restore it to the default. Here's the method I used:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...7&lsrc=osxh

Last thing I did was run OSX86 Tools again and selected all of the 8 options in the middle except for Run Cron Maintenance Scripts.

Now that I got a working install, I used carbon copy cloner to make a backup of it on a second partition.

Next is to install this on my laptop.

@ pyrates

Thanks for pointing out MD5 "switch" error.......error corrected, and tutorial modified to incorporate your suggestions....... :D

Also, I use an installer by eddie11c to fix About This Mac.......see my blog entry dated Friday 27th June 2008...... ;)

BTW why did you choose to

I also ran osx86 tools and enabled Quartz GL and rebooted. Then I ran UInstaller and selected the following:

-Set drive to mine to install to

-Set time out to 5 seconds

-Set native resolution to my monitors

-Install PC EFI v9 Chameleon Edition 1.0.12

-Time machine fix

-Set efi string for video card to NVidia 8600GTS 256MB

was the system not running Time machine OK.......are you running dual monitors......?

@ pyrates

Thanks for pointing out MD5 "switch" error.......error corrected, and tutorial modified to incorporate your suggestions....... :lol:

Also, I use an installer by eddie11c to fix About This Mac.......see my blog entry dated Friday 27th June 2008...... :)

BTW why did you choose to

was the system not running Time machine OK.......are you running dual monitors......?

Just general house keeping whenever I install OS X. The options of selecting your video card for efi and setting the resolution for efi show the native resolution of the boot image then that your monitor supports. I think it looks better :)

I have downloaded your code and rewrite for my ITE8213, i can eject the DVDROM(press F12), but when i insert a disk, my desktop starts to freeze, may be kernel panics, by the way, the media icon does not show up on the desktop.

So how can i fix it?

i find a hand-writing mistake in your code

void AppleATIATARoot::pciConfigWrite32( UInt8 offset, UInt32 data, UInt32 mask )

{

UInt8 u32; // should be Uint32 u32 ?

IOLockLock( fPCILock );

u32 = fProvider->configRead32( offset );

u32 &= ~mask;

u32 |= (mask & data);

fProvider->configWrite32( offset, u32 );

IOLockUnlock( fPCILock );

}

Any suggestion/hits would be appreciated

PS: RAM 4GB

I have downloaded your code and rewrite for my ITE8213, i can eject the DVDROM(press F12), but when i insert a disk, my desktop starts to freeze, may be kernel panics, by the way, the media icon does not show up on the desktop.

So how can i fix it?

i find a hand-writing mistake in your code

void AppleATIATARoot::pciConfigWrite32( UInt8 offset, UInt32 data, UInt32 mask )

{

UInt8 u32; // should be Uint32 u32 ?

IOLockLock( fPCILock );

u32 = fProvider->configRead32( offset );

u32 &= ~mask;

u32 |= (mask & data);

fProvider->configWrite32( offset, u32 );

IOLockUnlock( fPCILock );

}

Any suggestion/hits would be appreciated

PS: RAM 4GB

Hi i have a GA-EP45-DS4P with ite8213 chip ... would you like to share the kext for test ???

greets..

i add two string in your APPLEVIAATA.KEXT V2

and im sur than all P5Q PRO USER will appreciated

here my lspci MARVELL string

03:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II Controller [11ab:6121] (rev b2)

and the appleviata.kext i build from your driver

haha, not just P5Q people, msi neo2-fr people will too! Thanks! :(

lspci shows: 05:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device [11ab:6121] (rev b2) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])

edit: tested ram with rember, passed with flying colors. Before, it didnt even last a minute before it KP-ed

haha, not just P5Q people, msi neo2-fr people will too! Thanks! :D

lspci shows: 05:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device [11ab:6121] (rev b2) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])

edit: tested ram with rember, passed with flying colors. Before, it didnt even last a minute before it KP-ed

cool :)

Enjoy and spread it

I have same problem with LITE-ON DVD and AppleNForceATA.kext v0.1. It does not read CDs/DVDs after install kext(((

show us your entire lspci

lol been there, done that. thumbsup_anim.gif

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1014041

Yours is much cleaner than the one I did though. And mine didn't have the SATA ports working. Thanks!

Happy it's works perfect for you

show us your entire lspci

0:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a1)

00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a2)

00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)

00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)

00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)

00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)

00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)

00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)

00:05.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)

00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)

00:06.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)

00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV670PRO [Radeon HD 3850]

02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3870 Audio device