AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

Just install the JMicron.kext (read first post)

Hey slashack! thanks a lot! i think this did the trick. i installed the kext with kexthelper and restarted the machine. booted in with debug and ran rember again and i'm still here. cheers to all the work you've done!

Using a Intel DP43TF (Intel P43 Southbridge - ICH10) on 2 x 2Gb Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 memorry and had kernel panics. Used the Debug item to startup and Rember to test. Found that (see attached picture) JMicronATA.kext was responsible. Loaded JMicronATA.kext using an mkext with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 and all is well.

Hi

I have the 4gb Problem and I an not solve it...

Spex:

GA-965P-DQ6 v2

2x2+2x1 gb RAM (6 total)

8800GTS 512 nVidia

IDE onboard: DVD slave | 120gb HD master

SATA: 250gb XP

BIOS settings: AHCI

I included a

sudo su

kextstat | grep ATA > kextstat.txt

uname -a >> kextstat.txt

ioreg -l >> kextstat.txt

dump

yesterday I installed the 0.6jMicron and go a kernal panic just after the darwin imput prompt at boot.

atm. I am using the included iAtkos 10.5.6 kexts for jMicron applePATA and ICHX

kextstat.txt

any ideas?

Thanks Slashack for editing the kexts and providing a solution for us. Just to confirm I'm running

Kalyway 10.5.6

Gigabyte 965P DS3

4 x 1gb 667 Kingston Value Ram

Maxtor 160gb IDE HDD

Will installing the below kext help me to get over the kernel panic for more than 4gb? I'm running maxram=3072 now

Do I need all 3?

JMicronATA: v0.6

AppleVIAATA: v0.2

AppleNForceATA: v0.1

Can anyone advise?

Thanks Slashack for editing the kexts and providing a solution for us. Just to confirm I'm running

Kalyway 10.5.6

Gigabyte 965P DS3

4 x 1gb 667 Kingston Value Ram

Maxtor 160gb IDE HDD

Will installing the below kext help me to get over the kernel panic for more than 4gb? I'm running maxram=3072 now

Do I need all 3?

JMicronATA: v0.6

AppleVIAATA: v0.2

AppleNForceATA: v0.1

Can anyone advise?

I am not sure if it is the same problem I had. I have a UD4p board with 920. I have 6 gigs RAM but the memory said it only had 4 gigs. I was told to update my bios. I had F2 and I needed to get F4 or higher. I went to F5 and it is now working and showing 6 gigs RAM.

I had to buy a floppy drive to do this as I have no windows copies to boot from. I still have occasional kernal panics but mostly I think related to my attempts at overclocking.

I installed Kalyway to Vanilla and I am not sure if this was the best way to go. I also have a RAID on two drives so I have a startup drive as 1 gig with just the pointers to the Raid main drive. That way it can boot after seeing a drive and then go into RAID. I am not convinced I have it all perfect yet as my friend who suggested the 1 Gig start drive has a different install method and seems to run a vanilla kernal while I am running a voodoo kernal.

And so, I don't know if any of this has helped but, as far as I can tell updating the bios solved the memory problem.

I am not sure if it is the same problem I had. I have a UD4p board with 920. I have 6 gigs RAM but the memory said it only had 4 gigs. I was told to update my bios. I had F2 and I needed to get F4 or higher. I went to F5 and it is now working and showing 6 gigs RAM.

I had to buy a floppy drive to do this as I have no windows copies to boot from. I still have occasional kernal panics but mostly I think related to my attempts at overclocking.

I installed Kalyway to Vanilla and I am not sure if this was the best way to go. I also have a RAID on two drives so I have a startup drive as 1 gig with just the pointers to the Raid main drive. That way it can boot after seeing a drive and then go into RAID. I am not convinced I have it all perfect yet as my friend who suggested the 1 Gig start drive has a different install method and seems to run a vanilla kernal while I am running a voodoo kernal.

And so, I don't know if any of this has helped but, as far as I can tell updating the bios solved the memory problem.

My mobo do recognize my ram as 4gb and according to what I've read so far its the ram size over 3gb that causes the kernel panic together with Jmicron controller for my IDE drive. I just want to confirm which kext should I change inorder to run 4gb in leopard with an IDE drive.

My mobo do recognize my ram as 4gb and according to what I've read so far its the ram size over 3gb that causes the kernel panic together with Jmicron controller for my IDE drive. I just want to confirm which kext should I change inorder to run 4gb in leopard with an IDE drive.

If you are using JMicronATA.kext and you have more than 2GB of ram, then install the version i modified.

Hey slashack, I'm getting a SAM Multimedia read/write error when I use your nForce ATA kext. It seems to boot, but afterwards I'm left looking at black screen with the cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I'm using an nForce 500 SLI chipset.

If you are using JMicronATA.kext and you have more than 2GB of ram, then install the version i modified.

Hmm...I added the JMicronATA.kext and rebooted...shows 4gig of ram however still kp when I unrar a 1.54gb file. Revert back and booted with maxmem=3072 and its ok able to unrar the file smoothly.

So I also downloaded the AppleVIAATA.kext and swapped both kext. Its now working fine, able to unrar the 1.54gb file with 4gb ram after replacing JMicronATA and AppleVIAATA kext. Will monitor for few days and hope no more kernel panic....kudos to Slashack!!

Hey slashack

I get KP whenever I run 4 gig of ram.

I tried your modified nforceata.kext but it simply made my computer not boot (still waiting for root device)

I removed jmicron kext which shouldn't have been there and unplugged my ide drives but still get kp

what do I do?

Hey slashack

I get KP whenever I run 4 gig of ram.

I tried your modified nforceata.kext but it simply made my computer not boot (still waiting for root device)

I removed jmicron kext which shouldn't have been there and unplugged my ide drives but still get kp

what do I do?

Attach an ioreg dump (see first post). Then if u have any kp, a picture of the screen. We'll see what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I tried to use AppleNFORCEATA.kext v0.1 with a Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H board (NVIDIA MCP73) that has this PATA controller:

00:08.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:056c] (rev a1)

I tried to add the device id to the plist but the kext refuses to load saying that:

Apr 26 13:40:56 localhost kernel[0]: AppleNForceATARoot: Error: your chipset [0x056c10de] isn't supported by this kext.

According to medevil's thread that device id might be supported but not tested, but in fact it seems the kext blacklists any other devices not explicitly supported ignoring plist matching rules.

Question is, is it posible to add this device id (and the other ones missing) to the binary or even better to remove that blacklisting so future nvidia device ids can be supported (if posible) with just plist modifications?

The missing devices ids from medevils' kext are this ones:

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 0448 ("MCP65 IDE")

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 0560 ("MCP67 IDE Controller")

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 056c ("MCP73 IDE")

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 0759 ("MCP78S [GeForce 8200] IDE")

According to Linux driver database they are considered compatible with nforce 2 so I think they should work with this driver.

Hi, I tried to use AppleNFORCEATA.kext v0.1 with a Gigabyte 73PVM-S2H board (NVIDIA MCP73) that has this PATA controller:

00:08.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:056c] (rev a1)

I tried to add the device id to the plist but the kext refuses to load saying that:

Apr 26 13:40:56 localhost kernel[0]: AppleNForceATARoot: Error: your chipset [0x056c10de] isn't supported by this kext.

According to medevil's thread that device id might be supported but not tested, but in fact it seems the kext blacklists any other devices not explicitly supported ignoring plist matching rules.

Question is, is it posible to add this device id (and the other ones missing) to the binary or even better to remove that blacklisting so future nvidia device ids can be supported (if posible) with just plist modifications?

The missing devices ids from medevils' kext are this ones:

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 0448 ("MCP65 IDE")

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 0560 ("MCP67 IDE Controller")

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 056c ("MCP73 IDE")

vendor: 10de ("nVidia Corporation"), device: 0759 ("MCP78S [GeForce 8200] IDE")

According to Linux driver database they are considered compatible with nforce 2 so I think they should work with this driver.

Try these one: AppleNForceATA.kext(UNTESTED).zip

You'll need to add your device id into the Info.plist. I just modified the binary in order to try support for those controllers. They'll only work as IDE (that's what they are, or not?)

Use it at your own risk.

Alright Slashack

here's the kextstat txt

It's a common issue with voodoo kernel. It takes some work to identify the faulty code line because of the KP, but it can be done. At the moment i'm out of time to get involve with this issue, but i'll give it a try.

What version of the kext are u using?

Try these one: AppleNForceATA.kext(UNTESTED).zip

You'll need to add your device id into the Info.plist. I just modified the binary in order to try support for those controllers. They'll only work as IDE (that's what they are, or not?)

Use it at your own risk.

Thanks for the prompt answer! Gracias! ;)

I'll try it as soon as I can and I'll report the results.

Yes they are pure IDE Controllers handling the IDE ports only, at least in my board there is a different device for the SATA ports when in IDE mode.

EDIT: after some quick testing I think its mostly working, with a GA-73PVM-S2H (nForce MCP73) and a LiteOn IDE DVD Burner (single drive as cable select).

I get many messages on system log when copying files, maybe just for debugging?

Also I noticed slower booting and a few messages repeated when starting up:

Apr 27 15:41:09 localhost kernel[0]: AppleNForceATA: CH0 DRV0 wrote 0x20 to offset 0x5f
Apr 27 15:41:09 localhost kernel[0]: FEDE - AppleNForceATA: createChannelCommands( 0x3e16200)
Apr 27 15:41:39 Hackintosh kernel[0]: AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.

Also reports "80-conductor cable not detected" but drive is detected fine and seems to be working, only tested Data DVD reading, DVD writing not tested, so I guess it needs further testing.

Thanks for the prompt answer! Gracias! :P

I'll try it as soon as I can and I'll report the results.

Yes they are pure IDE Controllers handling the IDE ports only, at least in my board there is a different device for the SATA ports when in IDE mode.

EDIT: after some quick testing I think its mostly working, with a GA-73PVM-S2H (nForce MCP73) and a LiteOn IDE DVD Burner (single drive as cable select).

I get many messages on system log when copying files, maybe just for debugging?

Also I noticed slower booting and a few messages repeated when starting up:

Apr 27 15:41:09 localhost kernel[0]: AppleNForceATA: CH0 DRV0 wrote 0x20 to offset 0x5f
Apr 27 15:41:09 localhost kernel[0]: FEDE - AppleNForceATA: createChannelCommands( 0x3e16200)
Apr 27 15:41:39 Hackintosh kernel[0]: AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.

Also reports "80-conductor cable not detected" but drive is detected fine and seems to be working, only tested Data DVD reading, DVD writing not tested, so I guess it needs further testing.

Try the latest one. I've uploaded it to googlecode.

@ slashack

Has anybody been able to track down the source for AppleNForceATA_Test for you yet?

Also, nForce 610i and 630i chipset MOBOs appear to have more problems with "still waiting for root devic" errors.....

Are you able to add, or have you added, in IDs for 630i NForce MOBOs in your new nForceATA test kesxt?

00:08.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:056c] (rev a1)

00:0e.0 SATA controller [0106]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7100/nForce 630i [10de:07f4] (rev a2)

Or do these restrictions (according to MeDevil) still apply :

Know AHCI SATA enabled chipset device+vendor id: 0x044c10de 0x044d10de 0x044e10de 0x044f10d 0x055010de 0x055110de 0x055210de 0x055310de 0x056010de 0x055410de 0x058410de

Know AHCI PATA chipsets device+vendor id: 0x056010de 0x056010de 0x056c10de 0x075910de

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI SATA enabled chipsets" then you CANNOT USE THIS KEXT!

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI PATA enabled chipsets" then you can try to use this kext for the pata handling, but this is not tested, so try at your own risk!

I have also found the following from Phoenix DriverAgent.com, that may be helpful for checking 10de device IDs:

0265	MCP51	Parallel	ATA	Controller			PATA
0266	MCP51	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
0267	MCP51	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
036e	MCP55	IDE					IDE
037e	MCP55	SATA	Controller				SATA
037f	MCP55	SATA	Controller				SATA
036f	MCP55	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
044c	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
044d	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
044e	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
044f	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
0448	MCP65	IDE					IDE
045c	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
045d	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
045e	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
045f	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
0550	MCP67	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
0554	MCP67	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
0560	MCP67	IDE	Controller				IDE
03ec	nForce	430	(MCP61)	IDE	Controller		IDE
03e7	nForce	430	(MCP61)	SATA	Controller		SATA
03f6	nForce	430	(MCP61)	SATA	Controller		SATA
03f7	nForce	430	(MCP61)	SATA	Controller		SATA
01bc	nForce	ATA	Controller				ATA
0085	nForce	MCP2S	Parallel	ATA	Controller		PATA
008e	nForce	MCP2S	Serial	ATA	Compatible	Controller	SATA
00d5	nForce	MCP3	Parallel	ATA	Controller		PATA
0065	nForce2	ATA	Controller				ATA
00e5	nForce3	250	Parallel	ATA	Controller		IDE
00e3	nForce3	250	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
00ee	nForce3	250	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0035	nForce4	Intel	Edition	Parallel	ATA	Controller	PATA
0036	nForce4	Intel	Edition	Serial	ATA	Controller	SATA
003e	nForce4	Intel	Edition	Serial	ATA	Controller	SATA
0053	nForce4	Parallel	ATA	Controller			PATA
0054	nForce4	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
0055	nForce4	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
0555	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0556	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0558	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0559	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
055a	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0768	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07b5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07b9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f4	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f6	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f7	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f8	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07fa	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07fb	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ab8	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ab9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0abc	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0abd	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad4	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad8	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bc4	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bc5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bcc	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bcd	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA

@ slashack

Has anybody been able to track down the source for AppleNForceATA_Test for you yet?

Not yet. MeDevil disappeared.

Also, nForce 610i and 630i chipset MOBOs appear to have more problems with "still waiting for root devic" errors.....

Are you able to add, or have you added, in IDs for 630i NForce MOBOs in your new nForceATA test kesxt?

Or do these restrictions (according to MeDevil) still apply :

I have also found the following from Phoenix DriverAgent.com, that may be helpful for checking 10de device IDs:

0265	MCP51	Parallel	ATA	Controller			PATA
0266	MCP51	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
0267	MCP51	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
036e	MCP55	IDE					IDE
037e	MCP55	SATA	Controller				SATA
037f	MCP55	SATA	Controller				SATA
036f	MCP55	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
044c	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
044d	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
044e	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
044f	MCP65	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
0448	MCP65	IDE					IDE
045c	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
045d	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
045e	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
045f	MCP65	SATA	Controller				SATA
0550	MCP67	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
0554	MCP67	AHCI	Controller				AHCI
0560	MCP67	IDE	Controller				IDE
03ec	nForce	430	(MCP61)	IDE	Controller		IDE
03e7	nForce	430	(MCP61)	SATA	Controller		SATA
03f6	nForce	430	(MCP61)	SATA	Controller		SATA
03f7	nForce	430	(MCP61)	SATA	Controller		SATA
01bc	nForce	ATA	Controller				ATA
0085	nForce	MCP2S	Parallel	ATA	Controller		PATA
008e	nForce	MCP2S	Serial	ATA	Compatible	Controller	SATA
00d5	nForce	MCP3	Parallel	ATA	Controller		PATA
0065	nForce2	ATA	Controller				ATA
00e5	nForce3	250	Parallel	ATA	Controller		IDE
00e3	nForce3	250	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
00ee	nForce3	250	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0035	nForce4	Intel	Edition	Parallel	ATA	Controller	PATA
0036	nForce4	Intel	Edition	Serial	ATA	Controller	SATA
003e	nForce4	Intel	Edition	Serial	ATA	Controller	SATA
0053	nForce4	Parallel	ATA	Controller			PATA
0054	nForce4	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
0055	nForce4	Serial	ATA	Controller			SATA
0555	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0556	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0558	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0559	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
055a	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0768	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07b5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07b9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f4	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f6	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f7	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f8	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07f9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07fa	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
07fb	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ab8	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ab9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0abc	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0abd	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad4	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad8	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0ad9	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bc4	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bc5	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bcc	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA
0bcd	NVIDIA	nForce	Serial	ATA	Controller		SATA

This is the IDs defined within the driver:

#define PCI_NFORCE1         0x01bc10de
#define PCI_NFORCE2         0x006510de
#define PCI_NFORCE2_PRO     0x008510de
#define PCI_NFORCE3         0x00d510de
#define PCI_NFORCE3_PRO     0x00e510de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP04    0x003510de
#define PCI_NFORCE_CK804    0x005310de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP51    0x026510de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP55    0x036e10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP61    0x03ec10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65    0x044810de
// sata
#define PCI_NFORCE2_PRO_S1  0x008e10de
#define PCI_NFORCE3_PRO_S1  0x00e310de
#define PCI_NFORCE3_PRO_S2  0x00ee10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP04_S1 0x003610de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP04_S2 0x003e10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_CK804_S1 0x005410de
#define PCI_NFORCE_CK804_S2 0x005510de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP51_S1 0x026610de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP51_S2 0x026710de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP55_S1 0x037e10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP55_S2 0x037f10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP61_S1 0x03e710de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP61_S2 0x03f610de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP61_S3 0x03f710de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S5 0x045c10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S6 0x045d10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S7 0x045e10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S8 0x045f10de

// AHCI
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S1	0x044c10de 
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S2	0x044d10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S3	0x044e10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_S4	0x044f10de

//UNTESTED

#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP65_IDE 0x044810de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP67_IDE 0x056010de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP73_IDE 0x056c10de
#define PCI_NFORCE_MCP78S_IDE 0x075910de

I've added the untested ones. Currently i'm out of time, so i cannot correct this issues and i don't have a Nvidia mobo to try the driver. I can make it blind, but it will take some time. Is there any bsd driver where i can look for some information? any technical document? If u help looking for that, i can save time googling and focus on the coding.

@ slashack I will see what my researches can throw up......