[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

@drawrof

Its the:

cp boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot

it copies 'boot-turbo-munky.bin' into /Volumes/EFI/ and renames it to 'boot' along the way.

So in short 'boot-turbo-munky.bin' beomes 'boot'

Hope you understand.

@drawrof

Its the:

cp boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot

it copies 'boot-turbo-munky.bin' into /Volumes/EFI/ and renames it to 'boot' along the way.

So in short 'boot-turbo-munky.bin' beomes 'boot'

Hope you understand.

Ahh, I thought your upgrade guide had special instructions for people who had already installed v5 and wanted to upgrade to v5.1 when in fact it had special instructions for people who had DOWNLOADED v5 and wanted to upgrade from v4 to v5.

Sorry. ;)

Munky;

I updated my efi boot loader to your v5.1 earlier today. I also started to see messages during the boot process that I hadn't seen before. They talk about self test failing on com ports and invalid rom content. These are well into the initial boot process intermixed with the messages about vga and dns etc..

About half the time they result in a kernel panic. If the panic becomes persistent, using the -f flag gets past it. Is there any chance these could be related to the boot loader? The only reasoon I ask is that they only began to appear after the upgrade to loader v5.1

Update: Never mind. I believe I have solved the problem. As a result of some beta testing I was doing, some settings in my BIOS had changed. I reset them and disabled devices like SATA, internal LAN and video devices which I don't use. The errors went away and the system boots fine now. Sorry for the false alarm.

man......insane ;-)

thanx for v4, munky......ya shootin´ ;)

troublesome ata is music in my ears....

test it tonight and report back asap

thanx again

hi munky....just for info...

tested v4 and v5 and it fixes the initial reboots on the troublesome via chipsets...workx flawlessy

thanx again

Actually if you have all your kexts and have another version installed such as Kalyway etc. If you have a spare HDD that you want to install to you can use disk utility to 'restore' your retail DVD onto a small 10GB partition. Then you can boot that partition and install Leopard onto a 2nd partition that uses the remaining space on the drive.

Here is my setup on a single drive:

/dev/disk1
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*465.8 Gi   disk1
  1:						EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk1s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install DVD	9.8 Gi	 disk1s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS LEO Backup			  455.5 Gi   disk1s3

Hope that helps.

J

I been using this efi boot technique, and may I say it is great. I like the idea of having my fix kext in a separate partition that doesn't get overwritten with updated. Issues I am having, as most I cannot get the AppleHDA (patch taruga) to load for audio from EFI. I am looking into the issue with the post of fake plist. Lets see how it goes

Two questions I have is why doesn't choosing (9f) as a device in the boot menu allow to boot from the DVD (a la boot123) let say for a reinstall of leopard with the all ready set EFI partion (prepared with this method)?

Why can't the boot loader see my second partition in the same drive? I read this was not possible in the same drive, but I had done it before using normal EFI bootloader? Is there an issue preventing this, since this would be a really nice to have. The time I was able to do this I was using MBR, now I am using GUID

Why can't the boot loader see my second partition in the same drive? I read this was not possible in the same drive, but I had done it before using normal EFI bootloader? Is there an issue preventing this, since this would be a really nice to have. The time I was able to do this I was using MBR, now I am using GUID

That's the same problem I have. I was also able to boot from the second partition in the same hard drive with the normal EFI bootloader, but in my case I was using GUID exactly like now. So using GUID or MBR doesn't make any difference: with the normal bootloader it works and with this one it doesn't. Anyway munky said it's in the top of the priorities, so let's cross our fingers and wait :(.

Hi ppl,

On my System everything works great, i put just a few kexts into the Efi partition.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte P3 and the video card, a GeForce 8600 GTS, works with efi strings.

Anyway the sleep doesn't work... it's weird, the system starts, the desktop appears, but I cannot use both mouse and keyboard.... everything seems hanged.

To fix the shoutdown i used the OpenHaltRestart.kext

Does somebody else have the same problem?

Tnx :blink:

Hi ppl,

On my System everything works great, i put just a few kexts into the Efi partition.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte P3 and the video card, a GeForce 8600 GTS, works with efi strings.

Anyway the sleep doesn't work... it's weird, the system starts, the desktop appears, but I cannot use both mouse and keyboard.... everything seems hanged.

To fix the shoutdown i used the OpenHaltRestart.kext

Does somebody else have the same problem?

Tnx :)

SGr33n;

Are you using either the voodo alpha13 or beta1 kernel? I asked because sleep has never worked on my system until I started using them. I have PS/2 type keyboard/mouse and need a patched ApplePS2Controller.kext for them to work at all. That said, when I come back from sleep everything is working. Even resumed Transmission sessions.

Tnx Munky... I'm going to try :rolleyes:

Have you heard something about sleep doesn't work on systems running MacFuse? Is it true?

@BladeRunner

Vanilla clean 100% updated to 10.5.5 via on-line update.

I got the Aluminium Keyboard so no ps2 kext :bag:

Have you heard something about sleep doesn't work on systems running MacFuse? Is it true?

@BladeRunner

Vanilla clean 100% updated to 10.5.5 via on-line update.

I got the Aluminium Keyboard so no ps2 kext :D

THats right Auto Sleep not working with MacFuse or Paragon .After uninstalling them my system Auto sleep working again

to clarify something: this bootloader is not based on the Chameleon codebase, it is based directly on boot-132_dfe_r146. Thus it doesn't automatically inherit all the great work done on Chameleon, unless those fixes are ported, like I did with the device-properties support, jmicron fix and better fsb detection code.

I'm still hopeful that zef and the chameleon team will support this efi partition booting functionality in a future release, at which point I would adopt Chameleon for the job. Until then I'll keep tinkering with the codebase I have.

I currently am running Kaly (10.5.1 -->10.5.4) on a BadAxe2 triple boot system with Linux and XP using Grub and Chameleon. The Kaly install is on a separate MBR disk. If I switch to the Munky install (I'm having a problem now with my install, and time to start over; I have backups of all data), can I still use Grub? It looks like the install uses boot0, which I ignore in my chameleon install because it overwrites Grub in the MBR.

I currently am running Kaly (10.5.1 -->10.5.4) on a BadAxe2 triple boot system with Linux and XP using Grub and Chameleon. The Kaly install is on a separate MBR disk. If I switch to the Munky install (I'm having a problem now with my install, and time to start over; I have backups of all data), can I still use Grub? It looks like the install uses boot0, which I ignore in my chameleon install because it overwrites Grub in the MBR.

It is my understanding that this method requires a GUID partitioned drive. It uses the small, normally invisible, 200Mb partition at the beginning of the drive to store it's data.

Second, this process is aimed at supporting running a retail OS X install DVD to do the install. An unmodified retail install dvd will not install OS X on an MBR partitioned drive.

If I understand your idea correctly, you wish to use an MBR partitioned drive with grub installed in the MBR. Then have grub initiate the boot loader in a small partition containing the override kext files which will then boot your OS X from another partition. I can't say it won't work. There are many things working today that we thought would not work a few short months ago. Still you would have some substantial tinkering to do.

Good luck with your project.