[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Hello, I just tried efi_boot_v3 and used GFX strings in the com.Apple..Boot.plist ( for 7600GT) and TM fix and got ride of UUID error 35 but I believe now I have a probeme with AppleSMBIOS because I can't see the hardware ( it tells that an error has occured ....)

So I tried vanillia AppleSMBIOS, AppleSMBIOSEFI from CHUN NAN v28, the AppleSMBIOS from mac.nub but none of them works in the EFI partition ( I checek and they were "ROOT" ) .

does anybody know why ?

You can try this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/147619778/AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

Working from EFI partition without a problem.

I get a kernel panic on my vostro when i add voodoo beta1 but it workes great with alpha13 anyone know why ??

BladeRunner also has this problem use Extensions folder and not Extensions.mkext file. Voodoo kernel beta 1 can't handle Extensions.mkext file from EFI partition so the extensions doesn't load and then the disabler doesn't work so that AppleIntelCPUPowerMangement.kext makes panic <_<

You need to enter this first

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

and then

sudo mount_hfs /dev/diskXsY /Volumes/EFI

Chaps,

You can see from my attachment, I'm doing everything right. It was all working fine until yesterday when this started happening.

I'm using v2 btw.

any more ideas?

cheers,

Matt

post-80371-1223137010_thumb.png

Success!

Thanks munky for this guide! Here's what I did:

1. Installed Retail 10.5.4

2. Followed your guide to install Boot from EFI partition

3. Using Software Update, updated it to 10.5.5

4. I wasn't able to get the IOAHCIFamily.kext to load until I boosted the version number (from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5).

So now everything is working. I noticed something strange just now. My audio is working without having to patch the AppleHDA.kext into the S/L/E. The time stamped shows Jun 10, 2008, which I believe is the original from the 10.5.5 update. If this is true, then I am pretty much running Leopard without having to touch S/L/E. <_<

I am still new to this and have been doing extensive tests for different variations of install methods that are available on this forum. Thus, I installed 3 HDDs to test 3 different methods. They all work. I have questions regarding the 2 kext files that are currently in my System\Booter\

AppleDecrypt.kext and dsmos.kext

Are these 2 the same, in terms of functionality? If so, which is the prefered to keep?

Thanks again!!

BladeRunner also has this problem use Extensions folder and not Extensions.mkext file. Voodoo kernel beta 1 can't handle Extensions.mkext file from EFI partition so the extensions doesn't load and then the disabler doesn't work so that AppleIntelCPUPowerMangement.kext makes panic :)

This is not correct. I am running voodoo beta1 and I have Extensions.mkext in EFI partition (without having the Extensions folder). So in certain cases it works. I don't know what it may depend, though...

for reference:

ok my set of bootloader extensions:

critical for boot: dsmos, NullCPUPowerManagement

nice-to-have: SMBIOSResolver, Natit

network: IO80211Family and IONetworkingFamily, but gonna move to plist-only when i get a chance to test it,

stickpin's audio kexts

if u have a non-vanilla kernel and ur loading it from EFI, put the corresponding System.kext in there too

hi guys great work so far in all this! hats off to munky and the guys behind him...

having an issue with, in hindsight, what appears to be phase 3. getting nothing but a blinking cursor on boot from HD. terminal gives feedback as follows (after sudo & fdisk):

1) ./fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

bash: ./fdisk: No such file or directory

2) f 1

bash: f: command not found

3) w

20:24 up 7 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.00 0.02 0.00

USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT

admin console - 20:17 6 -

admin s000 - 20:18 - w

4) q

bash: q: command not found

any thoughts as to what i am doing wrong?

hi guys great work so far in all this! hats off to munky and the guys behind him...

having an issue with, in hindsight, what appears to be phase 3. getting nothing but a blinking cursor on boot from HD. terminal gives feedback as follows (after sudo & fdisk):

bash: ./fdisk: No such file or directory

bash: f: command not found

20:24 up 7 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.00 0.02 0.00

USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT

admin console - 20:17 6 -

admin s000 - 20:18 - w

bash: q: command not found

any thoughts as to what i am doing wrong?

first you have to cd to the efi directory! ;)

Hi..

Finally i managed to install the retail a make a bootable EFI partition.

ATM i have these kext in the EFI:

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleDescrypt

IOATAFamily

AppleCPUDisabler

AppleSMBIOSEFI

dsmos

IONetworkingFamily

Disabler

skge

After i updated to 10.5.5 i couldn't boot it anymore...everything loades fine...it shows only this error:

Error getting a reference to IODeviceTree: /options

...loads the network drivers and blocks there...

Does anyone know what is wrong ?

BTW...in the update.log i see a lot of things that say that they are missing dependecies....is that ok?

first you have to cd to the efi directory! ;)

thanks B612

however still same errors, after:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

cd /Volumes/EFI

./fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f 1

w

q

thought it may be because i was booting from the volume, but tried in terminal on retail 10.5.0 dvd, same problem... except terminal didnt recognise sudo (already opens in root?)

command not found for:

f 1

w

q

I am getting the invalid argument when trying to mount.

Any ideas? System still boots fine. I wanted to add another kext and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file.

mount_error.tiff

UPDATE: It will mount as a read-only disk but not read/write (using 'mount -t hfs -r /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI').

Thank you.

thanks B612

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

cd /Volumes/EFI

./fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f 1

w

q

thought it may be because i was booting from the volume, but tried in terminal on retail 10.5.0 dvd, same problem... except terminal didnt recognise sudo (already opens in root?)

command not found for:

f 1

w

q

Before I've been quick because I had no time.

I didn't mean that you have to cd to the EFI volume, but to the EFI folder of munky (efi_boot_v3 or whatever it is called). The command fdisk is contained in the folder "efi boot" that you have downloaded.

So, after doing

cd /path to/the efi folder of munky

then you should do fdisk and everything else.

let me know, but it will surely work. ;)

thanks B612

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

cd /Volumes/EFI

./fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f 1

w

q

command not found for:

f 1

w

q

you're not to fdisk from the efi system partition.

u have to "cd" to the folder containing munky's (et.al.'s) files. say, "efi_boot_v3" in your desktop perhaps.

The only things I have done since installing are:

Added 3 HDD UUID's to the fstab to not auto mount. Tried disabling, still no good.

Updated from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5.

Installed a few apps (Carbon Copy Cloner, Skype, VLC, Sabnzbd)

Thats it. Realized I needed SMBIOSresolver cause About this Mac was goofy so I tried installing it and could not.

hi folk ;-)

1. and formost....

had to report a supersmooth install and setup on my hp7100

all things working...updated to 10.5.5 without a hassle

booting from plist and mkext on efi partition with newest beta kernel...

simply amazing thanx again munky and all the others involved...

any news about ac97 in mkext and whut about including wireless drivers such as rt2500 in mkext?

tried both but no success ;-(

got some problems here on a friends sse2 box

shuttle av40 board/via chipset/p4 1,7 with an older acpiplatform.kext (1.0.3)

instant reboot after loading mkext from efi partition!!!

no chance to boot up system properly

any ideas...???

thanx in advance

btw...is there any workaround do deinstall the complete bootloader...

cant get rid of it...even after deleting the whole efi partition again...

bootloader is still present an is tryin to loadup the mkext ;-(

Before I've been quick because I had no time.

So, after doing

cd /path to/the efi folder of munky

then you should do fdisk and everything else.

let me know, but it will surely work. :censored2:

you're not to fdisk from the efi system partition.

u have to "cd" to the folder containing munky's (et.al.'s) files. say, "efi_boot_v3" in your desktop perhaps.

Did this, and fdisk appeared to work correctly..

marked active

no mbr..

yay!

thanks for that guys

However I still just blinking cursor on boot.. even when selecting internal HD with BIOS as optical drive is preferred by saved default.

Hmm.... anything else i could be missing?

shatterhenner: there seems to be an issue with the beta voodoo kernel and loading mkext on EFI. replace the mkext with an Extensions folder full of individual kexts seems to be the workaround. so System/Booter/Extensions/*.kext, instead of System/Booter/Extensions.mkext

about deinstalling... not sure, apart from overwrite it with something else, or repartition the disk. even that might not do it actually.. hmm...

shatterhenner: there seems to be an issue with the beta voodoo kernel and loading mkext on EFI. replace the mkext with an Extensions folder full of individual kexts seems to be the workaround. so System/Booter/Extensions/*.kext, instead of System/Booter/Extensions.mkext

about deinstalling... not sure, apart from overwrite it with something else, or repartition the disk. even that might not do it actually.. hmm...

hey, thanx for reply

i tested it with the Extensions folder Method instead of using mkext and even with both voodoo95a and voodoo94b...no cheese ;-(

i think its chipset related...its an old via chipset that needs acpi fix to boot properly acpifamily.kext v1.0.3

maybe the bootloader cant handle that old stuff yet ;-)

full succes on 3 intel maschines

anyways...

thanx a million ;-)

luv this place