[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

guys, im madcrazybusy with work stuff just now, but once its died down i plan to revisit some of these issues.

-------

on the subject of audio from Extra partition... XyZ (aka TheKing) and others are making good progress using kexts from Snow Leopard which dont appear to need binary patching.

-------

munky,

At this time the best conbination for me is to set HDAEnabler.kext in EFI partition, it works and to add patched AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E

I tried many things to get EFI Strings for audio reporting info in SystemProfiler, even with the right IORegistryExplorer report, it doesn't work.

So i give up and wait for Snow kext.

Hi Guys,

I was using this method successfully but now when I try to mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI, I get a message saying 'invalid argument'

any idea what that is about?

Matt

You need to enter this first

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

and then

sudo mount_hfs /dev/diskXsY /Volumes/EFI

What I have found - when it goes right back to the partition list - is that it can't locate the kernel. Normally caused by my typing the name wrong :D

btw, I have OS X on partitions 2 & 3 on my internal drive and I can boot either one without problem.

hmm... I did miss the part where I needed to copy over my "mach_kernel" to the EFI partition, but it seemed to work with out it as well.

In any case, I did add the mach_kernel, and verified it had the same name in boot plist, still no autoboot.

I think my onboard network fried itself. Joy...

So, there's no way to install Leo from a disk partition - only DVD?

I was able to install the Retail Leopard by using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone onto a USB Flash Drive.

Try this: make two partitions on an external USB drive: one partition formatted FAT32 to put the Boot-132 bootloader onto (it doesn't have to be big, <100MB is fine), and a second partition formatted Mac OS Extended for putting the Leopard DVD on (needs to be around 7.5 - 8 GB).

For the first partition, follow Stickpin's instructions for putting Boot-132 onto a USB drive. This procedure requires Windows.

For the second partition, grab a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner. Put your Leopard DVD inside your computer, and then clone the DVD onto the second partition you made. This procedure requires Mac OS X.

Munky, I have a concern with your method that you may be able to diffuse.

So, if we are using the 200MB partition to do all of our hackingtosh stuff and this is the ultimate hackintosh method that hackintoshers adopt, then aren't we setting up the entire hackintosh community open to one big wipe attack? What I am saying is if Apple knows that the 200MB partition is most likely going to be full of hackintosh stuff, then couldn't they just make a future update or installer conveniently wipe the 200MB partition? After all as you stated Apple doesn't use the 200MB partition, so if the data in that 200MB got wiped they wouldn't give a damn. If they waited a few months they could blow us all away with one big and simple trojan update bomb. Don't get me wrong, this method sounds great. Am I being too paranoid?

@Munky

This relates to the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel alpha/beta testing.

My system is configured to run from a /volumes/EFI boot partition. The main OS X partition is retail vanilla install - only Boot.plist is non-vanilla.

In /volumes/EFI/System/Booter I had Extensions.mkext - no Extensions directory. I was running VooDoo-a13 without any problem. When I added voodoo-beta1 and tried to boot it, the system had an instant kernel panic. The error messages said the mkext had a bad checksum. That resulted in the patched kext not loading and IntelCPUPower loading and having a panic. I tried to boot using the -f kernel flad - no help.

Returning to boot with alpha13 the system runs fine from the mkext that beta1 refused to load.

I removed the efi partition mkext and added back the Extensions folder used to build it. Now, the system will boot - *if* I use the -f kernel flag. I have no idea what is going on there.

Rainbow:~ lrh$ uname -a
Darwin Rainbow 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Fri Oct  3 05:12:13 IST 2008; Voodoo; Beta 1 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

strongesthylian

Using flash-boot132 + created partition from retail Leo image using Disk Utility isn't the same?

I have: 3.5 HDD with Vista and iDeneb; 2.5HDD for new "zero mod. install"; 2Gb flash. And I have only MacOSX 10.5.4 Retail disk image. No DVD, no external HDDs.

@Munky

This relates to the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel alpha/beta testing.

My system is configured to run from a /volumes/EFI boot partition. The main OS X partition is retail vanilla install - only Boot.plist is non-vanilla.

In /volumes/EFI/System/Booter I had Extensions.mkext - no Extensions directory. I was running VooDoo-a13 without any problem. When I added voodoo-beta1 and tried to boot it, the system had an instant kernel panic. The error messages said the mkext had a bad checksum. That resulted in the patched kext not loading and IntelCPUPower loading and having a panic. I tried to boot using the -f kernel flad - no help.

Returning to boot with alpha13 the system runs fine from the mkext that beta1 refused to load.

I removed the efi partition mkext and added back the Extensions folder used to build it. Now, the system will boot - *if* I use the -f kernel flag. I have no idea what is going on there.

Rainbow:~ lrh$ uname -a
Darwin Rainbow 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Fri Oct  3 05:12:13 IST 2008; Voodoo; Beta 1 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

I am also using Voodoo beta 1 kernel. I have very similar specs to yours and I have no problems at all.

Could it be because of some wrong kexts you're loading?

Mine are, at the moment:

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleDecrypt

AppleIntelPIIXATA (for ICHx chipsets)

ApplePS2Controller

IntelCPUPMDisabler

AppleSMBIOSEFI

Also with SMBIOSEnabler instead of AppleSMBIOSEFI it works well. What I can say is good luck!

strongesthylian

Using flash-boot132 + created partition from retail Leo image using Disk Utility isn't the same?

I have: 3.5 HDD with Vista and iDeneb; 2.5HDD for new "zero mod. install"; 2Gb flash. And I have only MacOSX 10.5.4 Retail disk image. No DVD, no external HDDs.

Well if it boots, then sure, but the reason why I use Carbon Copy Cloner is so I can get a complete clone of the DVD. Plus, you should probably purchase a Mac OS X DVD. No one likes pirates. :blink:

bladerunner: sounds like a potential issue with voodoo beta 1. please report to mercurysquad or others on the voodoo xnu team.

Munky, it's funny you should say that, because mercurysquad is the one that suggested I report it here ;)

I have reported it on the Google issues site - item # 18 to be exact. My thought was that it was an issue with the beta1 kernel because the alpha13 kernel handled the kextcache just fine. I was rather hoping you folks might talk it out and uncover the problem together :rolleyes:

-- bladeRunner

Munkey, great work here. I'm up and running using your method, however, I ran into the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext issues when I updated to 10.5.5. Is there any way I can tell AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext not to load so I don't have to delete it from my Retail Leopard partition?

Oops, found the solution. I already knew about it, but had forgotten. Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, just place IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext in your /Volumes/EFI/Extensions folder

and run update.sh again

If I got this wrong, let me know.

you forgot 'and run update.sh again'. ;-)

Also there are various options for disabling, including the one you mentioned, like Disabler.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement. Which you use is pretty much personal preference.

Hi i wanned to ask for some help...I`ve successfully installed the retail using the EFI partition but i have some issues. When i was configuring the EFI partition an error kept popping out when i was inserting the commands....one of the error was this:

Synapse:~ Synapse$ diskutil list
2008-10-04 14:03:06.725 diskutil[220:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
2008-10-04 14:03:06.827 DiskManagementTool[221:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

...and something about the mDNSResponder.....

I keep seeing this error in the Console...

My videocard`s QE doesn`t work either..and i think its because of this...(it worked before :rolleyes: ..so i suppose it`s because of that).

Can anyone tell how can repair this? Thx in advance

2008-10-04 14:03:06.725 diskutil[220:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2008-10-04 14:03:06.827 DiskManagementTool[221:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

iSynapse - take a look at this:

http://fsjoy.blog.51cto.com/318484/89552

I had this once and this sorted it - good luck

Hi i wanned to ask for some help...I`ve successfully installed the retail using the EFI partition but i have some issues. When i was configuring the EFI partition an error kept popping out when i was inserting the commands....one of the error was this:

...and something about the mDNSResponder.....

I keep seeing this error in the Console...

My videocard`s QE doesn`t work either..and i think its because of this...(it worked before :) ..so i suppose it`s because of that).

Can anyone tell how can repair this? Thx in advance

If you want to solve Error 35 without touching anything in your vanilla installation, just add IONetworkingFamily.kext to your EFI partition... or install EFI string for your ethernet in com.apple.boot.plist.

That should definitely solve your problem. :)

Hello, I just tried efi_boot_v3 and used GFX strings in the com.Apple..Boot.plist ( for 7600GT) and TM fix and got ride of UUID error 35 but I believe now I have a probeme with AppleSMBIOS because I can't see the hardware ( it tells that an error has occured ....)

So I tried vanillia AppleSMBIOS, AppleSMBIOSEFI from CHUN NAN v28, the AppleSMBIOS from mac.nub but none of them works in the EFI partition ( I checek and they were "ROOT" ) .

does anybody know why ?