Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

Sad to report that this does not work with my Acer Ferrari 3400. Everything runs apart from WiFi (Broadcom BCM4306 mini-PCI) and the Broadcom Gigabit LAN.

I loaded the driver as described (http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=1655), the airport symbol shows up in the top bar, but when I right click it says 'Airport: Not Configured' which is grayed out.. :( No network pretty much makes the thing useless...

Sad to report that this does not work with my Acer Ferrari 3400. Everything runs apart from WiFi (Broadcom BCM4306 mini-PCI) and the Broadcom Gigabit LAN.

I loaded the driver as described (http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=1655), the airport symbol shows up in the top bar, but when I right click it says 'Airport: Not Configured' which is grayed out.. :( No network pretty much makes the thing useless...

I had the same pb with my Ferrari 3200. now i can use wireless connections. The airport icon is still grayed but i can surf !

here's what i've done:(it's on a previous page on this thread page 12)

If your Broadcom card is being detected as "Built-in ethernet" and the Apple Airport status icon says "Airport: Not Configured", I have a solution. It worked for me, so it will probably work for you.

Open up terminal:

cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources

sudo ./airport --associate

Now just type in your SSID and WEP key and you should be ready to surf.

You can also scan for SSIDs by typing:

./airport --scan

hope this helps

vixdee

I need help now I downloaded the kext and bought a Belkin F5D7011 wich the site way back in page 3 said had a supported chip but nothing happens when I plug it in I've tried repearing permisions rebootting booting normal bootting acpi and x86pc there is no power to the card the lights don't shine should i take it back and get a f5d7010? or is there a way to get it to work?

?? anyone please.....

Whenever I try to

sudo kextload /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

as root, I get the error

kextload: extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions) and a popup saying it is not installed properly..

Anyone any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, after LOTS of trial and error, got it working. Great stuff. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I need some major help in doing the GCC method on the foo.c file

What i have accomplished so far:

-Made the actual foo.c file with all the added lines...or atleast i think i did it right.

-Uncompressed the .bz2 airport kext from the darwin 8.0.1 CD

I am totally lost doing all this...i have done something wrong in the foo.c file because it tells me 'Waring: NULL redefined" and "Warning: this is the location of the previous definition"

I have gotten these other errors during my trial/error process:

foo.c mad magic number (not a Mach-0 file)

can't map file: /System/Library/Extentions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS ((os/kern)) invalid argument)

Can someone help a n00b out??

Also, do i take the line numbers out of this file?> http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/libkern/g....c?v=OPENDARWIN

Thanks to all that help!!

A lot of Dells came with a "Dell Wireless 1350" which at least those that I've seen were Broadcom 4306's. I've got one running in mine as I type this.

Thanks to lagnat for finding the solution which basically completes my Hackintosh...

My Dell 1350 is BCM94306, this still doesn't work for me...

EDIT: I had only tried my card on a WPA network (we use it here on campus) and so I went home to my suite and hooked up my old linksys and found that my card works fine for WEP networks using the airport --scan thing or istumbler.

Only problem is, I don't really feel like carrying a wireless router around with me everywhere on campus :P If someone knows of a USB dongle that supports WPA please let us know :) thx

UPDATE:

I have gotten my card to somewhat work...maybe about 20-25%

It loads the kext at bootup, and powers on, but at the login screen, the card powers down(as soon as it hits the GUI). If it doesnt power down, it does it when i try to specify an AP and Encryption(wep) key manually. I cant for the life of me get it to power back on. Ive tried sudo kextunload /system/library/extentions/appleairport2.kext and it tells me that i have an invalid bundle id. Also, if i remove the card and reinsert it, it wont power back on...anyone know what to do??

UPDATE 2:

I got the card to sort of stay on. What i mean is, if i set up an adhoc network (computer to computer) it will stay on and work (or so i think, the adhoc net wont show up on my xp pc's) Maybe this info will help someone, who knows... Card still does not power back on after being ejected, however thats probably something being stupid with my O2Micro pccard controller...

Whenever I try to

sudo kextload /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

as root, I get the error

kextload: extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions) and a popup saying it is not installed properly..

Anyone any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, after LOTS of trial and error, got it working. Great stuff. :lol:

what did you do to finally get it to work?? im still having same problem.

Brandon05,

in the terminal type

"sudo su" (if asked for your password, enter it)

now type "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extentions/AppleAirPort2.kext" (case DOES matter)

now type "cd /" then type "cd /System/Library"

type in "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extentions"

then type "cd Extentions" then type "sudo rm Extentions.mkext" and then type "sudo rm Extentions.kextcache"

That got it partially working for me, however i cant see -any- networks with my card, yet the lights are powered on and everything...still cant find the supposed adhoc network when sniffing from another pc....oh well :lol::angry:

I think its my stupid O2Micro cardbridge...it acts pretty darn flakey under OSX... :)

Hello All!

I'm getting crazy with this wireless, I have a Laptop Dell D600, the internal Wireless does not work, it's using an MiniPCI Intel 2200, so I decided to buy some PCMCIA cards, but not luck, I tried out Belkin D57010 and Buffalo WLI2-CB-G54L but not luck with Airport2 driver here explained.

Also Have others cards but none works:

- Cisco Aironet 350 802.11b

- Intel Anypoint Wireless II 802.11b

- WaveLan orinoco Gold 802.11b

I followed all instructions here mentioned, could somebody give me a need help?

The AppleAirport2.kext loads fine, but the Buffalo card that supposed work with this, the system reports the card as Unknown.

Thank you

i just updated my guide here with screenshots, full code and the actual kext if anyone is interested :)http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1053

I have tried all the examples and explanations listed above. I get the kext loaded "successfully" but it never detects my card. I'm using a broadcomm wifi b/g card, but no success. I spent about 5 hours trying to get it work over the past 2-3 days, to no avail. I don't suppose that there are any suggestions... but i was also wondering if there's a way to tap into another device via bluetooth to mooch it's wifi. I have a Dell Axim X50V with BT and Wifi B... But Mac OS X won't let me get any services from it other than serial port.

some notebooks for some reason have the wireless card disabled by the bios....windows can turn these cards on, osx drivers CANT......there is a work around for cards being detected as built-in-ethernet......use istumbler it will work(atleast it did for me) u can also use the airport command in one of the frameworks...but i dont remember where its located...do a search....

Hey everyone,

I have a Dell Latitude D610, and I installed OSX86 on it yesterday, using the Generic DVD ISO. Using this forum and the main osx86project.org website, I've managed to get the OS installed, display, USB, sound, and just about everything else working -- except networking.

The D610 has a Broadcom 5751 Gigabit Ethernet card inside it, so that's definitely not going to work. This won't bother me as much, as long as I can get the wireless working. The wireless card is a Dell TrueMobile 1450 a/b/g card (a.k.a. BCM 4309) MiniPCI, which one can supposedly get working under OSX86. For the life of me, though, I can't get it fully operational, though.

Here's where I'm at:

• First approach was to try to use the AppleAirport2.kext file, and patch it according to the instructions in this thread. That didn't work -- although I created the .c file, when I tried to compile it with gcc, it said that the functions we were adding (OSDequeueAtomic/OSEnqueueAtomic) had already been defined. So I couldn't get that to work.
  • Next, tried the premade kext in this thread. It loaded successfully, but on reboot, the AirPort icon in the menu bar says that the card has not been configured. The Network pref pane doesn't list the card at all. System Profiler lists the card as a third-party card, but says it's not turned on. When I go to the Network Port Configuration part of the PrefPane, it lists "AirPort" (sometimes multiple times) but it's grayed out.
  • I made sure that the card is turned on. It is, the wifi light on the D610 is lit. I booted into Windows, and it works fine.
  • Under Network Utility, en0 is listed as a wireless network connection. There is no en1 because my wired card wasn't recognized.
  • I tried the command-line airport tools, when trying to scan for Access Points, it would time out -- no joy.
  • Booting with "-F platform=acpi" makes no difference, nor does "-F platform=x86PC"
  • The DevID for my device (14e4:4324) is listed in the Info.plist file in the AppleAirPort2.kext package, still no go.

I know that having a nonfunctional ethernet card can create problems, making the OS recognize your card as Built-in Ethernet -- indeed, Built-in Ethernet is listed under the Network Port Configurations. Turning on and off Built-in Ethernet actually turns on and off the Wi-Fi light on the computer, and the MAC address reported by OS X for "Built-in Ethernet" matches the MAC address reported for my wireless card in Windows XP.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I'd like to try patching the driver myself, but it won't compile. The OS refuses to see that the card is on. I know that this card works for other users, so I'm convinced I can get it working somehow, but I'm not sure what to try now. I think I'm close -- I just really want to get this taken care of so I can use OS X as my full time OS on the laptop. All I need is network access, then I'm set, since the rest of the OS runs great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dcipjr - thats the same problem that myself and quite afew others are having. Until someone finds a way to make a driver that can turn on our wifi cards in OSX we are stuck with no wireless :D

use istumbler to choose the networks to connect to, thats what i had to do with mine

use istumbler to choose the networks to connect to, thats what i had to do with mine

The problem is the airport cards have no drivers, so we can't use iStumbler. it's more difficult than in 10.4.1 where you could add missing functions to the existing Kext; in 10.4.3 it looks like the source is needed to compile a new driver to add some necessary IOKit data. And the source isn't part of the Darwin distribution...

I believe part of the problem is detailed here:

Kernel Extensions under Defining the MODULE_IOKIT Property for I/O Kit Drivers

The problem is the airport cards have no drivers, so we can't use iStumbler. it's more difficult than in 10.4.1 where you could add missing functions to the existing Kext; in 10.4.3 it looks like the source is needed to compile a new driver to add some necessary IOKit data. And the source isn't part of the Darwin distribution...

I believe part of the problem is detailed here:

Kernel Extensions under Defining the MODULE_IOKIT Property for I/O Kit Drivers

i was saying for the ones having problems in 10.4.1, i know that wont work in 10.4.3