Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any trouble 'scanning' for new networks? I have to manually type in my SSID/Network... When I try to scan for new networks it displays a blank. Any ideas? Is this a known limitation?

Dell 600M with a Truemobile 1450 Broadcom card (A/b/g)

Well,

I Finally got wireless working with WEP. Thanks to cyrana for your guide.

Using a belkin F5D7011 on a Dell D600.

Also thought you might like to know that it works with a Belkin F5D7010

Same here only I have it working with a Belkin F5D7000 v.2. The only thing I have to do over and over again each time I restart OSX is use Terminal to open airport so that I can "associate" my wireless card. Is there any way to configure it so that I no longer have to manually do this every time I boot to OSX?

ronni3-

Here's what I did so I didn't have to associate the card in the terminal after every boot.

Open up terminal and type:

$ sudo ln -s /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport /usr/bin
$ cd /Library/StartupItems
$ sudo nano airportstart.command

This will bring up a blank text file. In the blank text file type:

airport -a

hit ctrl+x to exit the file and y to save buffer

Once your back in the terminal, type:

$ sudo chmod +x airportstart.command

Now exit terminal and go to:

System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items

click the "+" symbol to add a login item, navigate to /Library/StartupItems, and add airportstart.command

The only annoyance now is that you will have to close terminal.app after every boot. Not a big deal but still annoying to some. If someone has a better solution, please let us know.

First, I would like to thank everyone for all the great tips and tricks! I have a HP Paviion zd8205US and wireless is the last thing I need working. I got my wireless card info from windows and I added it to info.plist ("<string>pci14e4,4318</string>"). After I load the kext, I dmesg and I recieve this :

AirPort: failed to determine ram-size

AirPort: allocated 64 clusters

About this Mac, shows that I have 512 DDR SDRAM (which is correct).

Any ideas? Thanks!

$ sudo ln -s /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport /usr/bin

Working on Acer Ferrari 3400 AMD64 3000+ with built-in Broadcom 4306

do the above just once and then any time:

$ airport --scan

to scan for networks

$ airport --associate

to associate

did not seem to work with a hidden SSID

A possible theory why this is needed with some Broadcom's, is that AirPort only leaps into action if the onboard nic is found on eth0 and therefore AirPort is on the expected eth1. If no onboard nic found, AirPort ends up with eth0... and thus is shown as Builtin Ehternet in Network Connections. Thanks to Jinx for helping me on the above and to everyone in this thread :-)

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 03)

Unfortunately it doesn't work 100% perfectly with my Broadcom. I'm able to choose 'Other' on the wireless icon and connect to my SSID with WEP, but I'm unable to scan for other networks. If I use the airport utility I get the following:

airport -a

WirelessScan timeout waiting for first scan result

... etc

If I airport --scan I get the same results, hence why I'm never able to see networks around me, but I can join them manually if I know the SSID. Also, if the computer goes into doze mode (when I close the lid --- which doesn't work 100%), the card enters powersaving mode and I can't turn it off until I manually connect to a network again. (It seems the driver doesn't know how to wake the card back up...)

airport --getinfo

commQuality: 81

rawQuality: 68

avgSignalLevel: -31

avgNoiseLevel: -85

linkStatus: ESS

portType: Client

lastTxRate: 11

maxRate: 11

lastAssocStatus: 1

BSSID: 0c:00:27:41:e4:47

SSID: MuhHouse

powerSaving: Not enabled

I heard other people are able to scan, so it must be something against my card. :( Does anyone NOT have this problem on this chipset? (Dell Truemobile 1450)

sokodude---There is.  On page 2 of this thread cyrana posted a compiled and working .kext along with instructions to install.  The link on page 2 to the file expired so a new link was posted on page 8.  That link is

http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VYEAD0...TB1R03QEP56IDWR

You'll have to actually read some of the posts to install it.

It appears that this link is also now invalid. Is it possible for somebody to repost the download somewhere?

You know, there are explicit instructions on how to do this yourself as an FYI for everyone.  If you want to use a dev operating system you'll need to figure stuff like that out at some point anyway.

It's true. And I tried following those instructions. Twice, actually, since it didn't work (either time). I was hoping to get the files from somebody that did it correctly. I can't imagine how I messed it up, since the instructions were so easy to follow. I guess it could just be my machine. It's an HP Pavilion with a BCM94306 MP MiniPCI card. Windows shows it's Vendor to be 14E4 and Device to be 4320. In dmesg I get :

AirPort: Allocated 64 clusters

And that's it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually pick up the device, but I'm not certain where the most reliable source would be to find if it is recognized or not.

If I go to the System Profiler, chose AppleAirPort2 from the Extensions list, at the near the bottom of the info, it says

Dependencies: Incomplete
Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

It's true. And I tried following those instructions. Twice, actually, since it didn't work (either time). I was hoping to get the files from somebody that did it correctly. I can't imagine how I messed it up, since the instructions were so easy to follow. I guess it could just be my machine. It's an HP Pavilion with a BCM94306 MP MiniPCI card. Windows shows it's Vendor to be 14E4 and Device to be 4320. In dmesg I get :

And that's it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually pick up the device, but I'm not certain where the most reliable source would be to find if it is recognized or not.

If I go to the System Profiler, chose AppleAirPort2 from the Extensions list, at the near the bottom of the info, it says

Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Pillbox - I am having the exact issue also, have you made any headway on correcting this?

Thanks!

MP

I get this error on both my machines. The D600 works perfectly and has this under the profiler, and the I5100 has the exact same erro though i have to use command line methods to scan and associate the networks.

so what i'm saying is that this is likely not the problem that is holding you back from getting it working.

I get this error on both my machines.  The D600 works perfectly and has this under the profiler, and the I5100 has the exact same erro though i have to use command line methods to scan and associate the networks.

so what i'm saying is that this is likely not the problem that is holding you back from getting it working.

That's good to know. i can stop barking up that tree. I've been playing with the idea that my Windows XP system on this machine could be leaving the card in an unsavory state. If I hibernate my WinXP installation, the blue light (that indicates the wifi card is on) doesn't come on in OSX, regardless of whether the card was turned on in WinXP or not. If I shutdown the WinXP installation, if the card is off in Windows, the light doesn't come on, but if the card is on in Windows, the light comes on, but I get the same result.

I'm going to look into this further, but it seems I'll need to learn a bit more about how devices are detected, as apparently my wifi card gets the AppleAirPort2 driver attached to it, but it doesn't initialize it correctly to show up as an AirPort device.

pillbox, I got all the same dependency and airport errors you listed. If the wireless light comes on in OS X, chances are the device is working. To get the wireless light to come on in OS X, I have to do the same thing... boot to windows, turn on wireless, restart, and the LED comes on in OS X.

Try enabling your wireless from the command line (follow Porcupines instructions above). Sounds like it should work for you.

pillbox, I got all the same dependency and airport errors you listed.  If the wireless light comes on in OS X, chances are the device is working.  To get the wireless light to come on in OS X, I have to do the same thing... boot to windows, turn on wireless, restart, and the LED comes on in OS X.

Try enabling your wireless from the command line (follow Porcupines instructions above).  Sounds like it should work for you.

Already tried that. I get the following error:

~ pillbox$ airport --scan
WirelessAttach: getInterfaceWithName failed
error: bootstrap_status 1102 for port name "com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd.airport"

I have this same problem...

So far, Mac can detect my Linksys WPC54GS, and act as an AirPort.

However, if I turn the AirPort on, the whole computer freeze until I remove the card.

My platform is Toshiba M30... I was wondering if it is the PCMCIA slot issue; however, my laptop only have one PCMCIA slot... there's noway I can test that out...

Anyone can help me here?

Under System Profiler/Hardware/PC Cards, it shows:

pci14e4, 4320:

Function: PCCard80
Vendor: Unknown
Type: CardBus
Vendor ID: 5348
Device ID: 17184

System Profiler/Network/AirPort Card: (I cannot turn airport on... it will freeze)

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: Third Party Wireless Card
Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

and by typing "./airport --scan", I'll get

WirelessAttach: getInterfaceWithName failed
error: bootstrap_status 1102 for port name "com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd.airport"

Any more information that I can provide?

<rant>

Wow, I spent what seemed like an hour+ reading through 12 pages of back-n-forth jabbers and repeats. What alot of you don't realize (or acknowledge) is first off this is a beta/dev. Its not even suppose to be being used as a DEDICATED everyday solution. Second, this is a UNIX based OS. Yes theres alot of pointing and clicking, pretty pictures with slick edges. But, thats just the Apple touch. Its still a BSD based OS in Beta/Dev mode (for x86). The terminal is your friend. IF your willing to use a Beta/Dev release you should acknowledge the fact that things arn't going to go as smooth as they should. With Unix systems you tell Bash how to fix things.

</rant>

Basically from what I read theres 3 different BMC4306 based chipsets. Rev 1 (which since its IDENTICAL to the Airport hardware its going to work flawlessly.) Rev 2 seems to be the one that comes up as "Built-In Ethernet" and has some issues but works fairly well after a work-around. Then comes Rev 3 (mine, which until page 11 I saw no reference to) works but has its own fair share of forced-workarounds. The above applys to BUILT-IN Broadcom 4306 m-pci cards. If you have a PCMCIA card you should already know about the possible issues with that peticular bus. If your USB is working properly you too can apply the above Rev 1,2,3 summary.

I have yet to install this OSX86 but am VERY excited mainly because I (before even thinking about installing) have completely read and verified that all the pieces of my laptop (presario m2000) will atleast 'somewhat' work. I just wish I would have read pages 12,11,10.. instead of 1,2,3.. first. :-)

---

For those offended, I aim my first paragraph at those who failed to even read pages 1-6 and forced my tired eyes into reading repeat questions that wouldn't even had surfaced had they actually followed the simple directions.

For those with working cards but small issues -- PLEASE tell us which 4306 chipset your using. Not the product name, but the actual hardware (ie, BCM4306 Rev 2)