Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

I got mine working today. I bought a Dell 1350 True mobile for 15 bucks of ebay. Install it in my insprion 6000D and booted. Went into terminal, cd'd to the proper directory. I allready had a appleairport2.kext (whatever the proper name is) and i ran kextload on it. Rebooted and everything works COMPLETLY. Im still looking at buying a Ibook thought, things just run better when its not a alpha

Bought a BCM94309MP (equiv of Dell 1450) for 5$ off ebay, replaced the i220w that was in my Latitude D600. I had already installed the updated Airport2 kext, I made sure wireless was enabled in bios and it booted up and worked right away. I'm using WEP at the moment, I had some trouble connecting with WPA earlier but I want to test some more because I'm not sure it's not my frankenstein router/switch monster.

Hey guys, I'm on my third wireless card purchase... its the Linksys WPC54GS and, as with a bunch of you, I can see the icon in the corner (airport not configured). It's coming up as Built-In Ethernet, and I can run the ./airport --scan command, but it never sees anything. System Profiler says 3rd Party Wireless and that Airport is turned off. When I try to associate to the public network in my area (shows up in Windows and I can connect), I just get "Unable to find network". I'm running the patched kext, and am running with x86pc. It will not boot in ACPI or with no options.

I'm trying to figure out a solution, please let me know if you figure something out.

can someone please repost AppleAirPort2.bz2 Im new to 86 and just kind of stumbling aroung, I just got 86 running with minor difficulty everything works but my linksys wmp54g pci I cant open the configuration in preferences so I think the airport2 might work Thanks

I have a Latitude C640 and am trying to get wireless going... Here is what I get when I try to load the extension:

tiger-x86:~ <acct name removed>$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/

Password:

kld(): warning /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2 cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7 architecture i386) of objects files previously loaded (file not loaded)

kextload: kld_lookup("_kmod_info") failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

I am using the precompiled driver from the other thread - would compiling myself fix this perhaps?

EDIT: I just tried to compile it myself and ended up with the same error. I got a similar error at compile time as well. Any suggestions?

Good news!

If your Broadcom card is being detected as "Built-in ethernet" and the Apple Airport status icon says "Airport: Not Configured", I have a solution. It worked for me, so it will probably work for you.

Open up terminal:

cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources

sudo ./airport --associate

Now just type in your SSID and WEP key and you should be ready to surf.

You can also scan for SSIDs by typing:

./airport --scan

hope this helps

I too am using an emachines M6811 with the Broadcom chipset. Because the Function+F2 "softswitch" is enabled by the Windows driver, we can't use that ability here; just set your BIOS to always turn the card on and reboot. Then, use the workaround posted here (your airport will remain "Not Configured." However, the wireless connection does work, you just have to do everything from the terminal).

Thanks for all the hard work you guys!

I too am using an emachines M6811 with the Broadcom chipset. Because the Function+F2 "softswitch" is enabled by the Windows driver, we can't use that ability here; just set your BIOS to always turn the card on and reboot. Then, use the workaround posted here (your airport will remain "Not Configured." However, the wireless connection does work, you just have to do everything from the terminal).

Thanks for all the hard work you guys!

i dont see an option to keep the card always on in the bios.

where is it?

Followed directions on my T42 Thinkpad with a Linksys WPC54gs, YET I get the following error:

What may I have done wrong?

lalapc-computer:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources guruuno$ sudo kextload /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

kld(): warning /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2 cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7 architecture i386) of objects files previously loaded (file not loaded)

kextload: kld_lookup("_kmod_info") failed for module /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

load failed for extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Ok I am now completely insane. I am begging for a new set of eyes or a clear brain to help me with what is probably an easy problem. I have followed lagnat's docs line by line but when I attempt to complie I get:

foo.c:1:error: stray '\' in program (13 times for lines 1 thru 3) then

foo.c:3:warning: data definition has no type or storage class

And it goes on. Could some shed some light on this or better yet post the complete/correctly patched file for all of the old timers who haven't messed with code in 15 years.

Other than wireless this baby ROCKS!!!! I have it running on a Thinkpad T30 and a T40. Been spreading the word in the Windows shop I work in. If I can get wireless going I have at least one committed switcher!!

Thanks

Ok I am now completely insane. I am begging for a new set of eyes or a clear brain to help me with what is probably an easy problem. I have followed lagnat's docs line by line but when I attempt to complie I get:

foo.c:1:error: stray '\' in program (13 times for lines 1 thru 3) then

foo.c:3:warning: data definition has no type or storage class

And it goes on. Could some shed some light on this or better yet post the complete/correctly patched file for all of the old timers who haven't messed with code in 15 years.

Other than wireless this baby ROCKS!!!! I have it running on a Thinkpad T30 and a T40. Been spreading the word in the Windows shop I work in. If I can get wireless going I have at least one committed switcher!!

Thanks

Further up in the thread there is a pre-compiled kext. I couldn't get it working (I have the same problem as the poster above you), but it is worth a shot for you.

Further up in the thread there is a pre-compiled kext. I couldn't get it working (I have the same problem as the poster above you), but it is worth a shot for you.

PERFECT!!!! Thanks a million I am up and humming. Now to go convert the world to OSX ;)

OK, either I am a dummy or I need help.

Following these directions:(from a post here)

I then opened up Terminal and change my directory to where the file was located and proceeded typing the following commands in the same order.

$ sudo mv AppleAirPort2 System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

$ sudo cp -r System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext /System/Library/Extensions <<--- When this line of command was typed, I got an error about the two directories are identical but I just ignored it.

$ sudo kextload System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

The following errors are listed:

1>No such file or directory (1st line)

I have terminal window open, I am at the root of my home folder where the AppleAirPort2.kext file is located so I look for the destination, /Contents/MacOS/ and cannot find, so I assume that is the error? If so, then what is the resolve?

2>Cannot get further because of that error

Please help

OK, either I am a dummy or I need help.

Following these directions:(from a post here)

I then opened up Terminal and change my directory to where the file was located and proceeded typing the following commands in the same order.

$ sudo mv AppleAirPort2 System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/

$ sudo cp -r System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext /System/Library/Extensions <<--- When this line of command was typed, I got an error about the two directories are identical but I just ignored it.

$ sudo kextload System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

The following errors are listed:

1>No such file or directory (1st line)

I have terminal window open, I am at the root of my home folder where the AppleAirPort2.kext file is located so I look for the destination, /Contents/MacOS/ and cannot find, so I assume that is the error? If so, then what is the resolve?

2>Cannot get further because of that error

Please help

If youre in your home directory you need to do

$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

OK gues what I went out and bought it. I swear I've tried to hard to get the thing to work but I have gcc but it's just a bunch of folders and files and I have no clue what to do with them. And also I get a bunch of errors when I type in gcc something soemthing something foo.c would somebody that got the wpc54g working on their computer please send me the kext. Im desprate :huh:

Edit: K found the porblem took out the card looked under it and it said ver.2 I'll see if my friend wants to switch with me he has an older version that might be ver.1

It's in the back posts, someone made a post that said simply "Download here" with a link. It goes to another forum post where someone attached it.

Here it is:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=1655

Lol I found out the hard way that you should really look at the previous pages before posting but yea I guess we should'nt be lazy i gave up at page 11 :P