Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

wpa is working for me

... interesting ?! - Did you take cyrana's precompiled airport2.bz2 or did you do a compile by yourself on your own system as described by lagnat in the very first post ? It's simply not functional with neither my Truemobile 1150 nor 1450. My Powerbook with 10.4.2 connects flawlessly with equal settings. Do you know which exact chip is used on your wpc54gs ?

Sack

I've tried the modified AirPort2 driver with a Sparklan WT-660GS (a broadcom 4306 based PCI adapter with a touted 128 mpbs mode) and i have installed the driver simply copying it over the OSX driver, without using the Darwin driver or removing the Airport3 driver. It works! The adapter is recognized as a Third Party Wireless Adapter, I connected with DHCP to a WEP network in a snap..

This is a relatively complex HOWTO for patching the Darwin Airport driver to work on oxs86. 

N O T E:  You shouldn't even attempt this unless you are already comfortable in Terminal.

This is known to work on a dell D600 with a Broadcom BCM4306.

EDIT: I have another d600 that didn't work at first.  The problem ended up being a BIOS setting.  Go into the BIOS and alt-p until you get to the page with the wireless settings.  One of the settings turns the card on and off.. sorry, I can't remember exactly what it says and I don't have the machine with me now.  The text to the right explains that even if it's off, the OS can still turn it on but that doesn't seem to be the case with osx.  Enable the card in the BIOS and try again.  If this works for you, please make a note of the exact setting and let me know.

You'll need:

o  Darwin install CD

o  MacOS x86 with gcc installed.  I used gcc4.

1.  Insert Darwin CD

2.  Run Terminal.app

3.  Make a working directory

$ mkdir work

$ cd work

4.  Untar the driver from the Darwin CD

$ bunzip2 -c /Volumes/Darwin8_i386/System/Installation/BinaryDrivers_i386/AirPortDriver2-350.5.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

5.  Optional: Try loading the unpatched driver manually.  It should fail.

$ sudo chown -R root.wheel System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

$ sudo kextload System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

ld(): Undefined symbols:

_OSDequeueAtomic

_OSEnqueueAtomic

6.  Goto http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/libkern/g....c?v=OPENDARWIN

Copy and paste the missing functions into a new file.  I called mine "foo.c".

7.  Add the following include lines to the top of the file:

#include <libkern/OSTypes.h>

#include <libkern/OSAtomic.h>

#define NULL 0

The file should now look something like this

#include <libkern/OSTypes.h>

#include <libkern/OSAtomic.h>

#define NULL 0

void *  OSDequeueAtomic(void ** inList, SInt32 inOffset)

{

( source code deleted )

}

void    OSEnqueueAtomic(void ** inList, void * inNewLink, SInt32 inOffset)

{

( source code deleted )

}

8.  Relink the driver with the new functions

$ gcc -o AppleAirPort2 foo.c System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2 -fasm-blocks -g -O0 -DJAGUAR -DDEBUG=1 -fmessage-length=0 -mfix-and-continue -fno-common -nostdinc -fno-builtin -finline -fno-keep-inline-functions -force_cpusubtype_ALL -fno-exceptions -msoft-float -static -DKERNEL -DKERNEL_PRIVATE -DDRIVER_PRIVATE -DAPPLE -DNeXT -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/PrivateHeaders -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers -lkmod -lcc_kext -lcpp_kext -static -nostdlib -r

9.  Move the patched driver into the work kext

$ sudo mv AppleAirPort2 System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/

9.  Test the new driver.  It should load and if your hardware is supported, you should see it show up in network prefs.

$ sudo chown -R root.wheel System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

kextload: System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext loaded successfully

10.  If all goes well, move the working kext into the system

$ sudo cp -r System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Ok i'm not getting anywhere this set of instructions is causing the following error.

testbox:~/work sharonrowland$ sudo kextload System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
kld(): Undefined symbols:
_OSDequeueAtomic
_OSEnqueueAtomic
kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /Users/sharonrowland/work/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
load failed for extension System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)
testbox:~/work sharonrowland$ sudo kextload -t System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
kextload: extension System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext appears to be valid
kld(): Undefined symbols:
_OSDequeueAtomic
_OSEnqueueAtomic
kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /Users/sharonrowland/work/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
load failed for extension System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

I'd like to note something from the OSXHax site.

A user was able to get his Lucent (aka Hermes aka PrismII) card working under OSX by plugging it into his built-in port for airport (it automatically used the airport driver since something was there). He had success in working.

Is there any way that we can FORCE osx to load the kext for a device that it doesn't want to (like what this user did) - He just used a standards Cabletron Roamabout Wireless card in the inbuilt port.

This is NOT working for the Broadcom 4301 chipset. Ive used the premade one and made my own, neither work. The kext loads successfully, but nothing new in Network or in the Airport Admin setup. Ill keep trying, cause someone else with my laptop (HP zd700) got theirs working, but i suspect they have the G wireless, and I only have the B.

WOOT! or whatever it is kids say these days. I learned a ton today. How to use Mac Terminal some unix stuff among other things. I used the appleairport2.kext file that cyrana made to get my Microsoft MN-720 wireless card working today. YESSS! I still don't know what a .kext file is but now I can sit in my recliner and surf around looking for the answer. Thanks for all the help!!

Found this list, does this correspond to the Airport2 kext compatability?

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emetaphyzx/Wireless.htm

That's the list I used to determine my card is a broadcom chip and should work with OS X. I tried the add vendor id string that the page recommended and it didn't work. However using the airport2.kext file from this thread it works great.

Yay! Wireless works for me. I replaced my Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 MPCI card wif a Dell TrueMobile 1350 on my Latitude X300 and wireless worked! I used the patched AppleAirPort2.kext file cyrana uploaded, ran the few remaining commands needed, and got it all working. Thanks alot! :(

Yay! Wireless works for me. I replaced my Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 MPCI card wif a Dell TrueMobile 1350 on my Latitude X300 and wireless worked! I used the patched AppleAirPort2.kext file cyrana uploaded, ran the few remaining commands needed, and got it all working. Thanks alot!  :blink:

I have changed too my intel 2200 with a Dell Truemobile 1450, but i have an error about autenticity of the file cyrana uploaded.

Can you explain me better the way you follow?

My ASUS 802.11g minipci (based on broadcom 4306) is being detected as a "Built-in Ethernet"... is this normal? If not, what's supposed to be detected as? Any ideas?

dmesg | grep Airport
Airport: failed to determine ram-size
Airport: allocated 64 clusters
AirportPCI: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Update:

The card is an ASUS WL-120G, with a chipset BCM4306KFB.

dude we are using the same card :blink: *sigh* oh well i just have to buy the Dlink usb.

I have changed too my intel 2200 with a Dell Truemobile 1450, but i have an error about autenticity of the file cyrana uploaded.

Can you explain me better the way you follow?

Well, I just downloaded cyrana's file, double click it to extract its contents revealing a file "AppleAirPort2".

I then opened up Terminal and change my directory to where the file was located and proceeded typing the following commands in the same order.

$ sudo mv AppleAirPort2 System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

$ sudo cp -r System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext /System/Library/Extensions <<--- When this line of command was typed, I got an error about the two directories are identical but I just ignored it.

And finally, enjoy!! :)

Thanks a million, can you explain me also how to change the directory?

For example, if i put that file on desktop which is the command to change the directory to that?

Not really an expert on terminal...sorry...

Try something like 'cd ~/Desktop/DIRECTORYNAME' (~ is a shortcut for your home directory)

Thanks a million, can you explain me also how to change the directory?

For example, if i put that file on desktop which is the command to change the directory to that?

Not really an expert on terminal...sorry...

pwd to see where you are

ls to get the list

cd to change to dir

Welcome to Darwin!
host40-62:~ franci$ pwd
/Users/franci
host40-62:~ franci$ ls
Desktop                         Music                           Documents                       Pictures                        Library                         Public                          Movies                          Sites
host40-62:~ franci$ cd Desktop/