The New iPod Touch

~pcwiz

29 posts in this topic

OK the new iPod Touch was a huge disappointment to me. So what do you get with the new iPod?

• Hardware Volume Control buttons
  • Build in Nike + iPod adapter
  • iPhone 3G-esque design
  • Built in speaker

OK so what's my opinion? Hardware Volume control buttons. That's great, you get 2 extra buttons, not a huge deal. Built in Nike + iPod adapter: I don't care because I don't wear Nike+ shoes and I don't care about having a step counter and calorie counter in my iPod. iPhone 3G design: I like the shiny metal on the first generation touch better. Built in speaker: OK, maybe this is an improvement. Everything else that's "new" you can get from the new 2.1 firmware update. The only things I care about in this 2nd generation are the built in speaker and the volume buttons and even then its not a big deal. Definitely not a reason for me to shell out another $250 to get this new iPod.

What are your thoughts on the new touch?

100% agree with you, the built in speaker is the only real improvement.. and the volume buttons are OK i supose... but I dont mind using the screen to control volume.

After all the touch was designed to be all touch and no push... in otherworse all things are suposed to be controled on screen without buttons getting all over the place

Glad I'm not out of my mind to dislike a new Apple product :censored2: But doesn't even the iPod Touch original have some sort of speaker built into it? I mean where do the tap sounds that come when you are typing on the keyboard come from? And where does the beep beep sound of new incoming data come from? There is some sort of speaker there, and maybe someone will develop a hack to let the iPod use that speaker to play music or something...

I really do not understand why Apple continues with the absurd tradition of shiny metal case! It can be easily scratched not to mention the fingerprints problem! Anyway I agree with pcwiz, it's not the huge update we were waiting for. I hope to see a much bigger improvement on the mac book line of products next month...

m16, yeah there is a price cut of about $70, which is something good for new buyers. dakiz71, I rather like the metal case, it gives the iPod some bling :B But yeah there is a huge problem with fingerprints, Unless I touch it with gloves on I'll have to wipe it again :censored2:

Having a speaker is a pretty useless addition to be honest.. Its not like you're going to listen to your iPod without headphones when you're out of the house, and you'd be an idiot to do so inside the house as well...

Pretty disappointed overall.. The first gen iPod Touch still basically does the same thing, and for a current owner, there is nothing that this Touch offers that would push me to take the leap....

The new nano is a nice addition, but unfortunately that was spoiled days and days before this event (not that its Apple's fault...)

I was just a little disappointed about the predictability of Steve's announcements today.. Last time he held one of these September events was when he introduced the iPod Touch and a slew of other announcements. There was only one real new product today.....

me my self waited at least couple of months to buy a new ipod touch (thought i would get 64gigs :( )

i am extremely disoppointed as the media hype was exeptional but the it turned out be a disastor... i do not want to start of an apple vs MS war here but did u guys know that MS has recently upgraded zune and there wasnt any conference like that :) ...

also i thoght there would be a storage space for ipod classic but instead they have cut it down to the 120 gigs only... thats very disoppointing and, mark my words, that would bedamaging for apple'srepute

Really guys? Really?

The NANOs are NEW, the touches are simply a refresh. The iPod touch simply does not need any improvements other than what it's been given. Really, what more did you expect? A brand new revolutionary design that tops the iPhone3G? Yeah right. This simply is a tweak + price cut to the existing touch. Until new multi-touch screen technlogy comes out, or a slide out keyboard for the iPhone, pretty much all updates (other than capacity) to the touch or phone will be software based for a while. I'd also like to add that it's a STAINLESS STEEL casing on the touch now - not metal or aluminum.

The only disappointment for me was that the sizes weren't bumped. It would be nice to see the 8gb model die, and start with the 16gb touch for $249, 32gb for $349, and 64gb for $449. I suspect that we'll see size bumps in January at Macworld. I also suspect in January we will see the Mac Tablet device and more info on Snow Leopard, as well as perhaps a multi-touch enabled update for Leopard with iMac touch. It's also likely that January will bring updated Cinema Displays (though I hope these come in October, with the refresh of Macbooks/Macbook Pros/etc.)

I think its fine, a standard ipod update, the Nano's seem to be the only ipods that get dramatic changes with each gen. The best thing is the speaker, sometimes I need to use my crappy phone for playing music through a portable speaker when Im in the bathroom or outside. Volume buttons are nice too.

Ipods have always used stainless steel, it will be just as scratchy as ever.

I think Im going to order one tonight from macmall since newegg doesnt have them yet. My 3G ipod only has like 6 hours worth of battery charge left if its sleeping (and less than an hour of play time), so Ive been waiting for this for a long time (the last touches were WAY too expensive).

Yeah big downer for me too :(

I was hoping for stereo bluetooth :) instead we get a Nike receiver oh that's going to appeal to what 0.05% of buyers.

The external volume buttons are OK but I use Pocket Touch

Not enough of an update for me to replace my 16GB model :( maybe next year.

Yeah a bit of a disapointment, but hey, what do I care. I've got a iPhone 3G :D

The best thing is the speaker, sometimes I need to use my crappy phone for playing music through a portable speaker when Im in the bathroom or outside.
Damn, you must be one of those annoying kids that plays their music load from their phones speaker on the back of buses, annoying everyone with their collection of love songs. Then switches it off as they get off the bus. <_<

I was hoping for stereo bluetooth :( instead we get a Nike receiver oh that's going to appeal to what 0.05% of buyers.
What was the point. A free Nike football would have been better.

I would pay more for a model without an annoyingly tinny sounding speaker, if that was an option! "Hey, wanna hear my new iTouch?!" I had hoped there would be a camera on it, though what has put me off the iPhone is its cheesy 2mega pixel camera, so... A missed opportunity but still fun stuff.

Yo, you guys are a bunch of whiners no matter what. If they had made some massive architectural change you wouldve bitched because you 'just bought my touch a month ago and apples stupid because I wouldve waited.' instead, they make some minor but useful upgrades, give it a much-needed price refresh that appeal to new buyers but keep existing owners happy. This is the best possible move apple couldve made.

You guys will complain about anything. Get over it.

I don't know what you guys expected, the Touch is suppose to be a counterpart to the iPhone, aimed at slightly different markets. They aren't going to have much difference between the technology, and they aren't going to make people think theyre sacrificing features in an iPod to get a iPhone.

Yo, you guys are a bunch of whiners no matter what. If they had made some massive architectural change you wouldve bitched because you 'just bought my touch a month ago and apples stupid because I wouldve waited.' instead, they make some minor but useful upgrades, give it a much-needed price refresh that appeal to new buyers but keep existing owners happy. This is the best possible move apple couldve made.

You guys will complain about anything. Get over it.

Well then the majority of people who watched it are, in your words, "whiners"...

I don't mind if they refresh the iPod Touch, hell i knew it was going to happen, but what we saw yesterday did not warrant Apple to have a special media event, pushing the press to come and see, when they didn't really introduce anything revolutionary, which is to be expected from an organisation that creates so much hype every time they have one of these events.. Till last night, they actually had not failed in that department (e.g. Macbook Air was announced at the last keynote, and the iPod Touch 1G before that).

A slight tweak or refresh isn't a bad thing, the new iPod Touch is actually really nice to look at, but not if it isn't accompanied by a slightly bigger announcement of some sort...

They don't have superpowers they can't just come up with something new every couple of months they have a show. Just because the show wasn't as exciting as some others doesn't mean they should of just updated their site or sent out an announcement.

I doubt any of the media people going would have opted out if they had heard beforhand what was going to go down.

Yes TheHawks ur right.Now we need a small bluetooth device for having the touch GPS enabled.... :blink:

Yeah I just saw that the 2G touch has a Broadcom BCM4325 Bluetooth Chip that supports BT2.1+EDR.

but the new Firmware does not activate it.