Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

I concur!! darkten what changes did you make to the boot132 I provided as no matter what I do on mine it moans about a problem with hpet 0!

Yeah yours works for installing 10.5-10.5.4ish...it is after 10.5.5 that it all goes to hell, because it appears the IONetworking kext is being messed with in the 10.5.5 extensions.

It was really helpful to me to troupleshoot this by making a boot partition with the chameleon stuff on it so i could see it break in realtime, essentially :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'm about to wipe this puppy for the final time after I xfer all of the working known good to a fresh initrd for boot cd.

I believe I will be able to do retail install->10.5.5->chameleon dfe on one partition and not lose anything in the process, not have to run broadcom script or audio installer, all in a single workflow. Will be starting in about 10 mins or so.

In the interest of community spirit, brotherly love, etc...

IF you:

1 Aren't busy

2 Are having issues

3 Have AIM

4 Have your mini already

5 Have a retail leo dvd and the 10.5.5 combo updater handy

6 Have 45mins to an hour to kill right now

PM me.

I'm going to wipe this machine ONE LAST TIME (heheh, yeah right) and reinstall everything from the latest/greatest working set of {censored} i have here from my 'final' boot132 iso.

If you'd like to be in on this event with live guidance, join me in the AIM chat mini9osxftw. I plan to get started around 330 pm eastern. it is 312 now :rolleyes:

Damn! I would be honored to get in on that!! Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I guess I will just send out a prayer to you and look forward to benefitting from your great success!

Damn! I would be honored to get in on that!! Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I guess I will just send out a prayer to you and look forward to benefitting from your great success!

I am guessing this will be hosted at chat.aim.com??

Just an update got my 32GB MyDigitalDiscount drive and it appears it is DOA as it will not even show up in the Bios... *SIGH* might be a few more days until we see if this has an effect on sleep

It's going to be awhile. I'm still waiting for them to get more in stock to ship me mine. Last I heard, end of this week they'll have them back in stock. Grrr.. At least your next one will be from a different batch, maybe you'll have better luck.

I ordered mine yesterday and the guy on the phone said it will 10 to 14 Business days.

So i went on the website and i check and this is what i see.

Estimated Delivery Date is:11/10/08

I'm so pissed off its going to take 1 month for my mini to arrive?

Why was i misinformed.

On the website it says

Order Date: 10/5/08 Production Date: 10/6/2008 4:03:27 PM

:)

I ordered mine yesterday and the guy on the phone said it will 10 to 14 Business days.

So i went on the website and i check and this is what i see.

Estimated Delivery Date is:11/10/08

I'm so pissed off its going to take 1 month for my mini to arrive?

Why was i misinformed.

On the website it says

Order Date: 10/5/08 Production Date: 10/6/2008 4:03:27 PM

:)

I 1st ordered mine from Dell & then cancelled & ordered one off of eBay that will be here tomorrow!

we are beating this into subbmission in mini9osxftw on aim...

It looks like we're gonna have to "two stage" this to get it to work.

That is, to install, we're using pete's initrd, and post, all of the kexts i have

currently we have about 21mins left on the first pass so join in.

We are booting from a ~25MB iso, one install in english, one in german.

Feel free to tag along :)

I 1st ordered mine from Dell & then cancelled & ordered one off of eBay that will be here tomorrow!

That is exactly what I ended up doing as well.

Sure just give me the steps you guys have and what I can be of benefit to try. Also it is the same image as be for the initrd? the one posted here by pete? Also maybe extensions you want me to try. I am using a cd for boot123 and I think you guys are using usb thumb drives so at least I can document that difference

Sure just give me the steps you guys have and what I can be of benefit to try. Also it is the same image as be for the initrd? the one posted here by pete? Also maybe extensions you want me to try. I am using a cd for boot123 and I think you guys are using usb thumb drives so at least I can document that difference

We're doing it all off cd too, since the expected method will be to install of a leo disk

what we/i really need, is a working, non-breaking .pkg that will do all of this manual {censored}.

We are still walking thru and logging everything on aim.

Ok again sorry but in adium do I just add a buddy mini9osxftw (tried that and it fails)? feel like a total noob for not knowing this stuff. thanks

i don't use adium; it is too buggy for real work :thumbsup_anim:

in chat, simply do File/Go to chat room

tell it mini9osxftw

Also...

if there is a chameleon dfe for hard disks vet around...please join

All indications that i have point t this thing NOT working...that is, it does NOT seem to pick up our kexts from the Extra folder like it should

I have used nothing but Adium for 2 years now. It's flawless and anything but buggy. I got tired of the bloat and ugly advertising in AIM and Y!IM..

And I thought the kexts on a Boot132 setup were supposed to go in the hidden 200meg partition, not some "extra" folder?

So are you guys using an old method on a new version? Maybe this is your whole problem. The instructions I have printed out here (didn't save the URL, doh!) talks about formatting the hidden partition and how to put all the files in there.

Nope. It appears that issue was a kext issue; Type11 and I are running thru the latest build of this now to make sure it is primetime ready and worry and Term free :)

Extra folder is the old method to boot without Boot-132 CD or USB, EFI partition is the new way :D

yeah, i had a faked EFI partition going as well at one point, but such a method is less straightforward for mac expatriates.

We like it Easy™ :D

yeah, i had a faked EFI partition going as well at one point, but such a method is less straightforward for mac expatriates.

We like it Easy™ :D

Of course Extra method is easier but there's two things IMO anyone will need EFI partition method :(

1- No need to install Chameleon and copy boot file to root and extensions etc every time you reinstall, you just reinstall and boot like a real mac without any problem or even boot CD. You only need to setup this partition one time only.

2- If anyone wanted to use Time Machine and restore this method it the best. After restore you'll boot directly to your installation no need to install Chameleon bootloader again.

Thats why if I have this Dell Mini I'll do the EFI partition, if anyone doesn't need these 2 features then Extra folder is easier :hysterical: