Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

The video driver does not like to output to external only. It can do it, but you get mouse tearing and all kinds of artifact problems. To do VGA out only, boot with the monitor plugged in. Your internal LCD will stay off.

SO sleep will work if you install a MDD drive, but there is a significant speed tradeoff. hmm I guess I can live without sleep until a more suitable replacement is available. I think I'll go for the 16GB. Gonna order mine today, this is gonna be fun!

Good news, the new RunCore drives from MDD sleep properly in OSX! So you can get a bigger drive (up to 64gb), as well as a faster drive (write speed is 3x what the Dell supplied STEC drive does) that will fix the sleep issue while you're at it. So far, it's two different brand of drives that sleep, and only one brand that doesn't. It's beginning to look like the STEC drives didn't follow some important standard properly.

Thank you to everyone that worked on this.

This is my first time using a Mac and so far so good. It did take me about 7 installs but it seems well worth it.

I'm using the MSI version and will most likely purchase a legit copy after reading 39 pages on my minimac9 while listening to iTunes music :)

Anyways thanks again and I'll start reading mydellmini posts now.

quick question, is a kext installed in terminal by typing sudo and dragging the kext to it or is that for something else.

Will darkten's Boot123 method/installer work on the MSI Wind?

Or is there a Boot123 method/installer for the MSI Wind?

I wanna avoid a slipstreamed version and buy a boxed retail version of Leopard, but I must not be looking in the right place(s) because I can't find a Boot123 method/version for the MSI Wind (only for the Dell mini 9).

The current (and, I think, only) available upgrade for OSX through the standard upgrade route is 10.5.6. This new upgrade of OSX appears to be pretty extensive.

I am apprehensive that the latest OSX upgrade will break the Darkten-type install of OSX on the mini-9.

My mini9 is still on-order at Dell, so I have not yet tried the Darkten install process. If anyone has attempted to upgrade the Darkten install of OSX on the mini-9 to OSX 10.5.6, please post your results.

By the way, does anyone know if there is any way to selectively upgrade an installed OSX system to some level other than 10.5.6 ?

Thanks for your comments.

JLW

The Type11 method works perfectly fine with 10.5.6. In fact, we are trying to figure out whether we even need to worry about the DSDT stuff, as it is making absolutely no difference. We have noticed a couple crash scenarios (viewing the graphics area of system profiler, and using omniview) but otherwise seems to be working just fine. Heck I'm on my 10.5.6 installed mini right now.

The Darkten method has not been updated at all in ages. You won't get auto switching on your sound by default, you won't get a driver for your SD card, and his Boot132 was already out of date when Type11 started using a newer one, and Type11 had to update to an even newer version to "provide support for 10.5.6".. So I think that pretty well sums up what will happen with the Darkten method.

I have a chance to pick up the Dell Mini 9:

1.6ghz Intel Atom

512mb RAM

9 inch screen

4-5 hour battery life

Windows XP

Wifi

MS Office 2003

NOD 32 Antivirus

4GB SSD

Running OSX would be great as it could be my "baby Macintosh"...in terms of portability, I have to completely turn off the laptop whenever I want to move it? Does hibernate work? Does Mac even have hibernate? I have a retail copy of Leopard, can I use that or is there something better?

I also have my main Hackintosh at 10.5.2 because everything works 100% and no program requires anything higher....can I keep my Dell at 10.5.2 as well or is it unstable? I don't really care much for upgrading the OS until something significant comes out.

Thanks very much guys!

I have a chance to pick up the Dell Mini 9:

1.6ghz Intel Atom

4GB SSD

Running OSX would be great as it could be my "baby Macintosh"...in terms of portability, I have to completely turn off the laptop whenever I want to move it? Does hibernate work? Does Mac even have hibernate? I have a retail copy of Leopard, can I use that or is there something better?

You won't be able to fit OS X onto a 4GB SSD, it BARELY fits on the 8gb SSD. So buy a RunCore 16gb SSD, they're only $69 at MyDigitalDiscount.com. Then yes, sleep will work, you can just tell it to sleep, close the lid, and go. Sleep takes about 2% per hour from the battery, so you can go more than 2 days without the battery dieing.

Hibernate does not work, iATKOS 5i is supposed to allow hibernating, but I haven't been able to get that to work on my desktop machine. Besides, the thing boots in 30 seconds, that's pretty damn fast, why bother hibernating?

And yes, you use your Retail Leopard DVD with the Type11 method, thanks to Boot132.

The Darkten method has not been updated at all in ages. You won't get auto switching on your sound by default, you won't get a driver for your SD card, and his Boot132 was already out of date when Type11 started using a newer one, and Type11 had to update to an even newer version to "provide support for 10.5.6".. So I think that pretty well sums up what will happen with the Darkten method.

UnaClocker,

Unfortunately, I am not sufficiently expert in Mac technology to fully understand the Type11 process. In the case of the Darkten process, a couple of good, detailed step-by-step instructions are available.

Do you know if there is a detailed process documented for the Type 11 method? I would definitely like to try it.

Thanks,

JLW

I put a RunCore SSD in my Mini9.. It's blazing fast now, and sleep works on the RunCore unlike the original STEC drive..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCVqeHr2qvw

Posted a video of it booting.

Hello UnaClocker,

Thanks for the link to the step-by-step Type 11 procedure. I expect my mini-9 some time next week, so I will give it a try. Not sure I understand it all, but I plan to jump in and learn as I go. Really hope that I can get help on this forum if I get into trouble.

I ordered the mini-9 with a 32GB SSD from Dell. Is the RunCore 32 to which you refer the same SSD that Dell uses, or is it an alternate 3rd party device?

Thanks,

JLW

We have a working SD card reader driver in progress on the MyDellMini forums! This driver is very preliminary at the moment. What we need are more people who know how to code to come join in the effort. What we DON'T need are a bunch of people new to OSX to come flooding in expecting a working driver. The current driver can read SD cards usually. Sometimes it can read SDHC. It kernel panics if you try to write to the cards. And it's not very fast yet. And someone should tell the Acer Aspire One guys.. They have the same slot, they should join in on the efforts. :P

Oh yeah, The Link!

The driver now has SDHC support, and is nearly as fast as the slot can read, thanks to the hard work of a couple dedicated programmers. That only thing remaining at this point is to get the driver to resume from sleep properly. Just thought I'd revisit this for anyone that runs across this old thread. :)

Sleep with STEC drives

Posting here since mydellmini.com seems to be down.

Attached file contains a patched version of PATA driver that would (hopefully) not cause a hang when resuming from sleep on STEC drives (the default drives used by DELL). By replacing the default AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext with the version attached, resuming from STEC drives should become possible (it worked on my 32G drive, at least). Source code of the patch is also included.

Technically it is simple, it resets the SSD on resume. The idea came from somebody on mydellmini forum who reported success when he / she re-inserted his/her SSD while resuming from sleep.

If you are interested in building the kext yourself, download source code of IOPCIFamily and xnu along with AppleIntelPIIXATA, and add their paths (IOPCIFamily-VERSION, xnu-VERSION/(bsd|EXTERNAL_HEADERS|osfmk|iokit) to the include path.

PS. since other drivers might have issues with sleep as well, I recommend unconnecting all USD devices, SD cards before taking your mini 9 to sleep state.

mini9_stec_v1.zip

Sleep with STEC drives

Posting here since mydellmini.com seems to be down.

Attached file contains a patched version of PATA driver that would (hopefully) not cause a hang when resuming from sleep on STEC drives (the default drives used by DELL). By replacing the default AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext with the version attached, resuming from STEC drives should become possible (it worked on my 32G drive, at least). Source code of the patch is also included.

Technically it is simple, it resets the SSD on resume. The idea came from somebody on mydellmini forum who reported success when he / she re-inserted his/her SSD while resuming from sleep.

If you are interested in building the kext yourself, download source code of IOPCIFamily and xnu along with AppleIntelPIIXATA, and add their paths (IOPCIFamily-VERSION, xnu-VERSION/(bsd|EXTERNAL_HEADERS|osfmk|iokit) to the include path.

PS. since other drivers might have issues with sleep as well, I recommend unconnecting all USD devices, SD cards before taking your mini 9 to sleep state.

Hey. I have the 16GB STEC SSD in my Dell. I installed your KEXT in my EFI partition on /dev/disk0s1 and ran the update.sh script and restarted and it would not wake from sleep. Then i also copied to to /System/Library/Extensions (there wasn't a built in one to replace, it just copied over) then deleted Extensions.mkext and restarted. It would not wake from sleep. So then i tried sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIATA.kext and it said that it or a dependency was already loaded. Then I tried to unload it so I could load it again and after unloaded it my computer beachballed like when waking from sleep.

Am I installing this right? Is there a way to make it work from just the EFI partition? And how come you already had a built in copy of the kext in Extensions that Apple put there and I didn't?

Thanks for your help on this... this will save me buying a new SSD.

*EDIT* I'm still running 10.5.5. When I had 10.5.6 it seems we get a kernel panic whenever a program tries to load the graphics info from the system profiler.