Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

well i finally managed to get audio working for nnguyen, it would appear that the msi wind distro has altered a couple of things, but another kext from my vanilla install sorted it out. ill post it laters if anybody else is running into difficulties.

Hello. I too was foolish enough to install using the msi wind distro.

Can you please post the kext from your vanilla install?

Thank you for providing those files for the audio update. You are most awesome.

Cheers,

Silas.

Ok so i did type11 method.

After installation was done i had no sound or video.

So i updated to 10.5.5 still nothing so what i did next was run the mini script i ran the script restarted my mini

Came back up i have sound but no wifi or video

Can anyone help me ?

ok i got it all working except VIDEO

i fixed the wifi by running the scrip again and on the boot screen running with -f

but i need help with Video

if you have to boot with -f to make things work something is wrong. You should just reinstall. Mine woke fine. Everything except the standard things we know about. When I boot -f I don't get the full screen res. Also download chrmatophore and the pref pane. But I only know darkrens method which doesnt seem to be the favored method any more.

anyone figure out the randomly static annoying and loud static sound coming from speaker? i tried muting and lowering mic volume and everything. sound still there and does not cease at all... x.x it really bugging everything in my class haha

and yes i am using snoopy files..

plus the fact that audio will always be lose after resuming from sleep? =( ?

So you're using the "line-in muting" kext (attached)?

ALC268.zip

Try adding it again, see what happens.

You might be able to help me out. ѕӎөөҭңӌ replaced some of your kexts (in home/system/extensions/) so that the new audio drivers would work with the MSI Wind distro.

I've got the same problem - do you happen to know which kexts he replaced? If you do and could upload them somewhere, that would be really great. I have no sound at all at the moment and I think that will fix it.

Cheers,

Silas.

We have a working SD card reader driver in progress on the MyDellMini forums! This driver is very preliminary at the moment. What we need are more people who know how to code to come join in the effort. What we DON'T need are a bunch of people new to OSX to come flooding in expecting a working driver. The current driver can read SD cards usually. Sometimes it can read SDHC. It kernel panics if you try to write to the cards. And it's not very fast yet. And someone should tell the Acer Aspire One guys.. They have the same slot, they should join in on the efforts. :P

Oh yeah, The Link!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the sound to work. I've applied the 10.5.5 update and then installed the Audio driver, but no go.

Elucid, how did you get it working? :)

Update:

I got it working by dropping the two kexts right into the Extensions folder.

hey guys so i have everything working on my mini

my question is the mini kinda gets warm

i dunno if its norml or not

can anyone tell me???

Yes, it can get quite warm under load. The unit has NO fan.. As far as I know, it's the only netbook without a fan.. It's nothing to be concerned about.

We have a working SD card reader driver in progress on the MyDellMini forums! This driver is very preliminary at the moment. What we need are more people who know how to code to come join in the effort. What we DON'T need are a bunch of people new to OSX to come flooding in expecting a working driver. The current driver can read SD cards usually. Sometimes it can read SDHC. It kernel panics if you try to write to the cards. And it's not very fast yet. And someone should tell the Acer Aspire One guys.. They have the same slot, they should join in on the efforts. :D

Oh yeah, The Link!

That's very good to hear. so if the driver done then all will work on dell mini 9 (sleep with the 32 GB SSD) this will be great a 100% working notebook. I think I'll get one :D

Good luck and keep going good work :(

Hello. I too was foolish enough to install using the msi wind distro.

Can you please post the kext from your vanilla install?

Thank you for providing those files for the audio update. You are most awesome.

Cheers,

Silas.

Sorry about the time taken to replay mate. ive been really busy with work/g5 mod and real life shizz!

i think this is the version i uploaded to the other guy...

here it is, install using kext helper, repair permissions, either delete extensions.mkext from System/Library/ or boot with -f flag.

good luck!!

Anyone know why the system won't go to sleep when I close the lid with the Type11 method? It goes to sleep just fine if I select "Sleep" from the menubar.. And I don't have this problem with the iDeneb install.

i believe you have to add another kext to enable this... i had to for my other dell laptop. its by superhai, i dont have a link im afraid. i think its called clamshell.kext

I have been looking through this post for the last few days and I have to say that I am confused. Could someone PM me with the correct way to get OS X on my Dell Mini with everything working?

Thanks

OR.. Honestly.. you can use the original Darkten method, which I just used a couple of weeks ago and everything works great. Look at both videos here:

http://www.michaelsmith.tv/2008/11/10/dell...eopard-install/

UniClocker pointed out that the methods are almost the same. But they are not exactly the same and I'm having good luck with the way I did it in the video. Not my method.. so I have no allegiance to one or the other - just telling you my experience.

Sleep is a problem.. even with the Type-11 method and a 32GB SSD. Uni Clocker, does it work on your system? I WAS going to upgrade to the 32GB until I saw that you're having other problems with speed. I'd rather have the sleep problems.

The problem with the darkten method is that darkten isn't around to update his ISO anymore. He made one or two revisions, and then moved on. Type11 has been through about 7 versions, and has slowly tweaked the drivers (kexts) to get the best results and compatibility. It's just a case of a better out of the box experience.

Sleep works GREAT for me. The last version of Type11's boot disc wouldn't sleep when I shut the lid, but he and I worked together to fix that. He has since released a new version.

As I said before about my SSD, I'll take a 32gb slow SSD that sleeps over an 8gb fast SSD that doesn't. Now that Dell has started selling Mini9's with 32gb SSD's (these would be fast ones, just like the other 3 SSD options that Dell offers), it'd sure be nice to solve the kext problem that is preventing the STEC drive from waking up from sleep properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I have been reading through this board for the last few days. I'm going to order a mini as soon as I can figure out which is the best model. So my question...

Does sleep work with any of the stock models, or must I replace the SSD?

If I must upgrade, I will go for a 32GB. Which type of drive will work, which type will not?

Thanks

The Giz

Sleep does not work currently. The only SSD's that are known to work at this point, are the older mydigitaldiscount drives. They are changing over to RunCore SSD's and will be shipping these in the next few days, no one at this point knows if they will work with sleep. My suggestion is to hold out and wait for a few weeks to hear the latest. You can also read up on the threads at mydellmini.com in the OSX forum section.

SO sleep will work if you install a MDD drive, but there is a significant speed tradeoff. hmm I guess I can live without sleep until a more suitable replacement is available. I think I'll go for the 16GB. Gonna order mine today, this is gonna be fun!