Giving up on OSx86 and OS X

51 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

I love OS X it is faster and stronger compared to windows in many ways exsept in gaming :(

But of course there is this dual boot thing :)

O... jeah I install it because it is eyecandy,want to test it,mac are too expencive to by

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a MacBook Core 2 Duo. I don't feel limited on the Mac, but I feel limited on the Windows. I don't use Windows for anything. To me, Mac is good for gaming, programing, surfing the web, read e-mails, graphics and more. I really don't like Windows. Its bugs irritates me and I want a system that works. I don't have any problem with application compatibility, Mac OS X can run apps that does everything I need(and believe me, I'm a hard user). Anyway, if I need to use a Windows program, I install it under Crossover. Other reason I don't find Windows useful is because I need to use a UNIX-based system. I can't live without terminal. :/

I've been a Windows user for ever since Win 3.0 came out .. and I develop & support applications on Windows platform. I also has bit of experience with using UNIX.

I never really had any interest of using Mac nor Mac OS (but I always thought that Apple made cute computers). Last year I thought about making apps for iPhone, so I figured that I should get a Mac Pro. But somehow I bumped into this site before I purchase MP, and the next thing I know, I have had OSX running on my PC :)

Leopard 10.5.7 ran nice. It had some strange bugs that caused my system to crash randomly. But Snow Leopard runs like true native OS made for PC. No crashes and ROCK solid. I LOVE IT. I do everything except for gaming on OSX, but don't have time to play games anyways. Windows 7 has improved A LOT and it is probably by far the best OS from MS to date, but I think OSX offers simple, elegant UI that allows more intuitive to use than Windows ever could. This alone makes OSX the winner for me.

• 3 months later...

Game playing on the PC is dying out, look at what happened with COD MW2. one of the biggest games ever released and they left PC users in favour of dedicated consoles. Partly because so much pirating is done on the PC with games it makes sense for game makers to favour consoles.

I don't really see PC gaming dying especially since its so easy to pirate console games too. Its only a little harder to do but in the long run it doesn't make a difference since for consoles you can find someone to chip it for you then all you have to do is burn some disks.

(Also on a side note, I cant seem to create a new topic any ideas why I cant?)

Well....for me...gaming was never an issue. Just occasional Counter Strike 1.6 at school when teachers are being boring! I have been monitoring this movement since deadmoo era! then lately i installed Leopard to my DV5 using the retail dvd that i jus bought for the sake of having an original Mac OS DVD. In my opinion, Leopard is okay. Usually people claim that windows is not good and always has errors and bugs. But after the intro of Windows 7....the game has changed. If a user knows how to manage his system, windows is awesome and good..Leopard was awesome in a way..i also felt some how limited because i couldnt run things like Msg Plus on Mac...and i dint want to dual boot or run a VM since i am a type of person who wants all the functions from one OS its self. Mac and yahoo arent the same on Mac when compared to windows. They feel very limited. If i could get some of the apps that i have on windows for Mac i would be happy to switch. Plus Mac as a hackintosh isn't really stable so there would be no point of risking by using it as my main system. When running Leo on my dv5 the system heats up aloot...i cant use it on my lap where as windows...evrything is managed really well..the system is always cool...not really hot..Leopard does have features i would want windows to have..But just that stability and appliaction compability isnt the same. If leopard supported my apps and ran my laptop in a good way. i would be more than glad to switch. personally i liek OS X..but windows is my man for now. I love windows 7 since evrything is JUST done. The messengers are perfect. Daily AUTOMATIC anitvirus updates keeps my PC running well.. Windows makes me more productive than when am using a mac! This is why i left Mac for good! unless anyone else has solutions to my problems!

Jus my 2cents. Pls do not flame me..I jus prefer windows over Mac since it is mainly a personal opinion of what is preferred by users. According to me Apple would make a lot of money if they were like MS and let Apple run on all machines!

• 2 weeks later...

..Your loss.

Besides, there's a function called dual booting. You go into the OS X Installer, format two partitions, one for OS X as HFS+, one for Windows as MS-DOS FAT, and use MBR. Install OS X. Then after that, go into the Windows installer, right click on the windows partition and click "Format" then install to the Windows Parttion. When done, insert your OS X Install DVD but don't push anything, let the countdown go, and it'll boot into the OS X Partition. Download Chameleon 2 RC2, you're done..

Before the text itself, wanna make clear I'm not revolted, sad or something like that... :P

After a very long time testing and using Mac OS X I decided to drop it for good.

Since Mac OS X was announced (OS 9 never seduced me) I always wanted to use it but of course Macs are expensive blablabla.. Then you guys break it to run on ours pcs. I started to test it the first versions, still very difficult to install and very buggy but I was a very happy person.

But All this time, I actually never used Mac OS very much. Let me explain.

I'm a gamer and 50% of the time I spend on my home computer is playing games. About 20% running overclock/graphics benchmarks, ~25% for surfing the net and guess about 5% programming ASP.Net. This last 30% wont be a problem because I enjoy surfing the net on OS X and I can run a virtual machine to program ASP.Net, but the other ~70% is what really matters to me.

I even tried playing some games on OSx86 but honestly, my mouse Razer is not well recognized giving me a very strange sensitivity under FPS games. And even with an 8800GT (one of the best vgas that works on OSX) "CI/QE enabled" it's clear to me that it's not half as optimized for games as it is in Windows (even on Vista).

Besides, I always trusted that "Macs are the best platform for video" but I had a terrible experience with iDVD. I know I know.. it's not a professional app, but I was expecting something like Convert2DVD. This program for Windows is extremely simple, flexible and convert almost every kind of video to DVD in my computer in half hour (or less). If I try to convert anything with ffmpegX on OSX for instance (the same video) it takes almost 5 hours and the visual result is terrible. Same thing with iDVD.

I think the challenge was good (to make OS X run smoothly on my pc) but I don't think this effort will keep me tight to this project anymore. Just posting to see if there some similar cases here, don't want to start a war over Win X OSX x Linux or something like that. Just saying OS X it's not for me, unfortunately.

I'm not giving up on OS X. I just busted my netbook (don't ask how). My next desktop computer will run OS X and possibly Windows (if I have any patience left for it).

One of the biggest differences I've noticed between Windows and OS X is the development environment. Developing for Windows is a migraine inducing nightmare whereas developing for OS X is really child's play. It is very easy, intuitive and actually enjoyable.

I use Crossover on my Hackintosh, it plays most of my Windows software and Games just fine,

and I have Parallels Virtual Machine, and that plays most of the rest, has near perfect openGL

and good DirectX support, that covers over 99% of the software I have tried, and it all works

in full speed

I also have a Gaming PC running Windows 7, and a Wii

I dont use the Gaming PC anymore :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. I'm back to OSX. For 3 different reasons:

1) Steam will be released for Mac next month and all the games I already have will be there on OSX for no extra $$$! \o/ (most of the games I was used to play on pc were Staem games)

2) I bought a PS3 :)

3) Besides the PS3, I'm almost not playing anything. Just using the pc to navigate on the internet, download movies and series and recording a DVD from time to time (wich also may decrease since now I use the PS3 as media server - btw, the program that allows me to do that is java-based so it runs completely identical on Windows or Mac).

Another good reason is that I managed to run my machine Vanilla again so I'd say Windows NOW is optional in my home (finally!).

Well.. I'm back to OSX. For 3 different reasons:

1) Steam will be released for Mac next month and all the games I already have will be there on OSX for no extra $$$! \o/ (most of the games I was used to play on pc were Staem games)

2) I bought a PS3 :P

3) Besides the PS3, I'm almost not playing anything. Just using the pc to navigate on the internet, download movies and series and recording a DVD from time to time (wich also may decrease since now I use the PS3 as media server - btw, the program that allows me to do that is java-based so it runs completely identical on Windows or Mac).

Another good reason is that I managed to run my machine Vanilla again so I'd say Windows NOW is optional in my home (finally!).

Welcome back :blowup:

Hey JaS, howzit? Are you 100% content with your Asus P6T setup from your sig/ would you recommend it without any hesitation? And, on a scale from 0 - 10 (10 = cutting edge high end), where approximately would you place your setup?

Thanks a lot,

Bux (ex. BugsB.)

PS: remembering the good-ole days with your excellent releases, and lots of fun, yeah :D !

Hey JaS, howzit? Are you 100% content with your Asus P6T setup from your sig/ would you recommend it without any hesitation? And, on a scale from 0 - 10 (10 = cutting edge high end), where approximately would you place your setup?

Thanks a lot,

Bux (ex. BugsB.)

PS: remembering the good-ole days with your excellent releases, and lots of fun, yeah :( !

Hey Bugs :( yeah man its been a while lol. I remember those days ... great times we had bro.

Yes, I can say I am 100% content with this setup, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say its a 9. I have a hd 5770 waiting in the wings lol , then its a 10 !

I get 12000+ in geekbench 64 bit and am very happy with the way this handles everything from playing games in os x to encoding videos and anything else in between.

If you want some advice about this setup you can find me over on irc.osx86.hu in #RadeonHD , #Snowleopard , #Hackint0sh , #Asus and also on moofspeak in #osx86

great JaS thanks for the feedback. A musician friend of mine is looking for a higher-end h'tosh combo and this could be it. I forwarded your comment to him + the link to FleeBailey's blog with the download to p6tpack.zip and the Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe) here in the forum :P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I will probably just buy a real mac when I can afford it. I'm a little tired of playing catch the Apple, but I have nothing but love for the hackintosh scene. At this point, you can create a very powerful hackintosh which is rock solid stability for thousands less than a mac pro.

I too like to game and it is really disappointing that Apple has such a pitiful gaming experience. None of the major games are for OS X. I don't know why because I'm not a programmer, but I know it sucks because as another commenter said (correctly) OS X is better for every single other things outside of gaming. I may just go to consoles and stop PC gaming altogether. That is how much I like OS X. I'll just use my computer for work and internet and leave the games on the console. I don't hate MSFT, but their software is just ugly

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I don't hate MSFT, but their software is just ugly

And buggy as hell. My PC is mainly used by a young friend for gaming, and it needs constant maintenance.

As to myself, basically I play only chess and, occasionally, car racing. Decent chess games for Mac are very expensive, so I play Windows chess games either under CrossOver or in Parallels.

The only car racing game for Mac seems to be Real Racing 2, but it doesn't even start on my MacBook Pro, early 2011.