Tutorial: Install Retail Leopard on VMware Workstation

396 posts in this topic

All working great here in 10.5.6. But has anyone managed to update to 10.5.7 using core i7? I just get kernel panic when i update...

There doess seem to be a problem with this update. Not sure if this thread will help http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162100. I can't help directly as I do not have access to i7 system.

Hello, thanks for this wonderful guide, but I can't get it to boot to leopard. I'm at 1st picture's screen and I pressed enter. Then It went to the 2nd screen and I typed 9f then I pressed enter. But then it just goes back to first screen. No errors or anything. Does this mean my .iso image is messed up?0

Hi Donk,

I would like to know more about the problem:

3. The CD will have to remain mounted during boot, as none of the ways of copying the boot-132 code to the hard disk works. Trust me I have spent 2 weeks trying!!!

Have you got any solution for that? I am using the same approach to boot up MAC OSX. Every time I use MAC OSX, I need to mount the vmdonk.iso in order to boot up MAC OSX. Is that any way to boot up MAC OSX directly? Many thanks.

Justme

Hi Donk,

I would like to know more about the problem:

3. The CD will have to remain mounted during boot, as none of the ways of copying the boot-132 code to the hard disk works. Trust me I have spent 2 weeks trying!!!

Have you got any solution for that? I am using the same approach to boot up MAC OSX. Every time I use MAC OSX, I need to mount the vmdonk.iso in order to boot up MAC OSX. Is that any way to boot up MAC OSX directly? Many thanks.

Justme

No that is the way VMware manage the boot for Darwin based guests. You no longer need to mount manually though. Check the topic on the new package on this forum. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474

Hi Donk,

Thanks but I feel a bit confused. I am running OSx86 on VM Workstation 6.5 (WinXP). I can enter MAC OSX with 80 and -v but I need to do that everytime I boot. Do you mean I need to reinstall OSx86 with the new package on the forum http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474 ?

If so, there are many steps in the manual.pdf, which parts should I follow? Many thanks.

Justme

Hi Donk,

Thanks but I feel a bit confused. I am running OSx86 on VM Workstation 6.5 (WinXP). I can enter MAC OSX with 80 and -v but I need to do that everytime I boot. Do you mean I need to reinstall OSx86 with the new package on the forum http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474 ?

If so, there are many steps in the manual.pdf, which parts should I follow? Many thanks.

Justme

You should be OK with just running the script to install the new darwin.iso file.

I tried this procedure but I get a VMware Workstation message that says "The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode". This message comes after OSX has started to load.

I am using VMware 6.5.2 build-156735 on a MacBook Pro running Boot Camp w/XP (I have a good reason to want to use XP instead of Fusion). The OSX DVD is labeled Mac OSX Install Disk 1, Mac OS version 10.5, AHT version 3A137, Disc version 1.0 2Z691-6150-A. I selected FreeBSD 64 bit for the Guest OS.

Can someone suggest what I should do?

Eddy

I tried this procedure but I get a VMware Workstation message that says "The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode". This message comes after OSX has started to load.

I am using VMware 6.5.2 build-156735 on a MacBook Pro running Boot Camp w/XP (I have a good reason to want to use XP instead of Fusion). The OSX DVD is labeled Mac OSX Install Disk 1, Mac OS version 10.5, AHT version 3A137, Disc version 1.0 2Z691-6150-A. I selected FreeBSD 64 bit for the Guest OS.

Can someone suggest what I should do?

Eddy

You need to follow the directions here exactly. FreeBSD-64 does NOT work with vanilla Leopard. For now I suggest you follow my new process here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474. Let me know how it goes.

You need to follow the directions here exactly. FreeBSD-64 does NOT work with vanilla Leopard. For now I suggest you follow my new process here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks, that was a big help. My problem now is that I get a message during the install that says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer".

Note that I'm using my MacBook Pro but with VMware running on bootcamp with XP. I'm using the original install disk that came with the MAC.

Thanks, that was a big help. My problem now is that I get a message during the install that says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer".

Note that I'm using my MacBook Pro but with VMware running on bootcamp with XP. I'm using the original install disk that came with the MAC.

That is a restore DVD not a retail one, and VMware does not pass through the actual machine type. This only works with retail ones. I am sure there are ways to alter the image but I don't have any details.

When I try to boot the Retail OS X ISO, The gray apple appear and a second later it reboots and display 'operating System not found"

What is the problem ??!

I'm running a PentiumD 3.4

Thank you for helping!

Not a compatible processor.

• 2 weeks later...
That is a restore DVD not a retail one, and VMware does not pass through the actual machine type. This only works with retail ones. I am sure there are ways to alter the image but I don't have any details.

I have obtained an original install DVD: Mac OS X Leopard, Install DVD, Version 10.5.

I am using the instructions found at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474.

I have downloaded and run setup.cmd install as instructed.

It begins to boot to the DVD but then gives *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

I am running this on a MacBook Pro running Windows XP and VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 build-156735.

Since I was not sure if by "real Mac" you meant "real Mac running OSX" or if you also meant "real Mac even running Windows" so I tried both for smc.present.

I have attached my .vmx file.

MAC_OSX.vmx.txt

I've had success installing 10.5.6 with donk.iso, updated to 10.5.8, but I still have my mouse buttons inverted. My mouse is a "lefty" mouse from logitech, and they thought the buttons ought to be reverted also (urh!!!).

Changing the left / right mouse button setting in the preferences of osX doesn't change anything, so I'm wondering if someone had an idea on how to fix this?

I'm also wondering about any possibility to map the PC keyboard (french) more accurately - especially the various keys like @ < > [ ] {} etc. Obviously a mac keyboard has a different layout - even a french one - compared to the PC one, but is it possible maybe to "translate" inputs so that I could use my keyboard more easily, for programming for example.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I have managed to boot the retail version DVD 10.5.4 but I get MAC OSX cannot be installed on this computer? I have followed the instructions in the guide. Not sure what is the next step? Any ideas folks?

Are you sure it is the retail version? If it is the one that came with the Mac then it is a re-install version and not the retail version. The error you are getting is the same one I got when I tried to use the CD that came with the Mac.

Are you sure it is the retail version? If it is the one that came with the Mac then it is a re-install version and not the retail version. The error you are getting is the same one I got when I tried to use the CD that came with the Mac.

You are right. My mistake. It is not retail, it came with an iMAC. So, it cannot be used to install MAC OSX as per the instructions? Does it have to be a retail version of OSX?

You are right. My mistake. It is not retail, it came with an iMAC. So, it cannot be used to install MAC OSX as per the instructions? Does it have to be a retail version of OSX?

Yes, that is what Donk told me. When I tried the retail version I got past that point but I ran into another problem. See my post above (note that I was on an actual Mac, running Windows and I used the procedure Donk told me to use (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474).

Yes, that is what Donk told me. When I tried the retail version I got past that point but I ran into another problem. See my post above (note that I was on an actual Mac, running Windows and I used the procedure Donk told me to use (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474).

thanks for the reply, EDDYQ. Thats puts the matter to rest. Also, in your case you may want to update your VMWare workstation software to the latest version and then see if that works. Just a thought.