Why do people hate Vista but love OS X and/or Linux?

dillon31292

146 posts in this topic

Spotlight wasn't really Apples first, Windows had planned it when they released the original OS plans before Vista was made before Apple had released any information on spotlight plans.

Ah, but Apple is much more secretive than Microsoft in that sense. For all we know, they could've been planning Spotlight since 2000, but just never said anything until the launch of Tiger. They do like to keep new features hidden until they officially debut...

You can say Windows had "plans" for it, and that Apple wasn't first all you'd like, but that doesn't make it necessarily true. Microsoft also had plans for WinFS, and look how that turned out. :hysterical:

who cares who copied from who, Its about how they utilize it into there OS, Like Spotlight is Great type couple letter press return its there. Vista's search man! I rather browse for it then search it. Have you guys heard of "Xerox Parc" they started the whole "Gooey".

"Great artist make, Greater Artist Steal"

Personally I have to say at first Vista had its problems with some people. For me I have never had a blue screen due to the operating system. OS X has its problems too for some people its just that people who think Apple is the best and they never make mistakes publicised that people had tons of problems when it simply wasn't true. Because OS X has less people there were less people to have problems with it.

iPoco

"...but Vista has UAC!"

Linux and OS X have an equivalent. In Linux you have to go through a bunch of {censored} to do root-related tasks.

Yeah all I have to type is sudo -s then pass.

UAC controls the whole Vista OS. OF COURSE I WANT TO ALLOW THIS FILE TO INSTALL.

Ah, but Apple is much more secretive than Microsoft in that sense. For all we know, they could've been planning Spotlight since 2000, but just never said anything until the launch of Tiger. They do like to keep new features hidden until they officially debut...

You can say Windows had "plans" for it, and that Apple wasn't first all you'd like, but that doesn't make it necessarily true. Microsoft also had plans for WinFS, and look how that turned out. :)

As an OS that actually comes with widgets by default and not by the use of a 3rd party program, Os X would be the one for that.

It doesn't matter. Apple didn't invent these things thus Microsoft did not copy Apple.

Yeah all I have to type is sudo -s then pass.

General users can't use terminal commands, usually.

Microsoft did not copy Apple.

Alot of people I know say that Vista copied Leopard which is completely untrue because Vista was before Leopard. Apple lovers...

iPoco

Heres the thing...

You can spend your time arguing which OS is the best, making you feel like your e-{censored} is bigger because you got a "point" across. OR, you can just enjoy the OS you use. They all do the same thing, you use them, you play games on them, you watch movies on them, you listen to music on them, you get on the internet on them. They all do the same thing! They all have their good points, they all have their bad points, there's just no real use in arguing about it.

This is so true! That is why the rest of you should consider multibooting OSX, Vista, and Linux instead of beating a dead horse. By doing that you get the best of all worlds and enjoy the strengths of all the systems in one computer. P.S. I am not having or seeing those issues that people are complaining about with Vista. To be honest, I have had more issues with Linux and OSX but that is besides the point.

Hey, they don't copy between 'em! Microsoft and Apple with Jobbs and Gates were sleeping on the same side of the bed if you can see;) I'm sure one call to say "Hey Steve, good job, I would use in my OS. Can I do? Of course yes..." Just take a look what Apple done and Microsoft done. Apple launched BCD and Microsoft in Vista followed the parade introducing BCD. Yes, you could say for compatibility, for BootCamp. But it stay the same. Apple had never sued Microsoft for anti-trust infringement, another clue show all the same conclusion. And Linux can't be compared to OS X and Vista and XP cause it's a free base developement and non GUI OS'es. GPU/GNL are the Linux distros and they don't care, it's for more reliable and persons who had more skills. Cause you can't install a program with a single click. Type commands .install­­­­ bla bla and there you are. Don't compared apple with banana hehehe

im gonna be done with this because it's not worth anybody here's time but. i don't like vista i think it is a weak os and someone here has a post proving osx came up with widgets.

It also doesn't matter who said it would be done. it matters who did it.. "Ok i have a brilliant idea im gonna make a rocketship that flies at the speed of light..."

when they make a rocketship that flies at the speed of light im not gonna take credit.

Fact is apple did all these things first.....

anyway i love osx and hate vista and most of the population hates vista therefore it doesn't matter what u prove i don't like vista and the population still won't either.

p.s. i think the post is by a noony moose i'll find it

Hey, they don't copy between 'em! Microsoft and Apple with Jobbs and Gates were sleeping on the same side of the bed if you can see;) I'm sure one call to say "Hey Steve, good job, I would use in my OS. Can I do? Of course yes..." Just take a look what Apple done and Microsoft done. Apple launched BCD and Microsoft in Vista followed the parade introducing BCD. Yes, you could say for compatibility, for BootCamp. But it stay the same. Apple had never sued Microsoft for anti-trust infringement, another clue show all the same conclusion. And Linux can't be compared to OS X and Vista and XP cause it's a free base developement and non GUI OS'es. GPU/GNL are the Linux distros and they don't care, it's for more reliable and persons who had more skills. Cause you can't install a program with a single click. Type commands .install­­­­ bla bla and there you are. Don't compared apple with banana hehehe

Well there's actually a list of applications that is included with some Linux distros. You just click on the name and then click "install" (or whatever it is, I'm in Vista now so I can't check) and it downloads and installs the application. This is actually more functional in my opinion since you do not have to run around the internet in search of it. :D

If the application isn't listed (there's literally thousands in Fedora, so chances are it will be listed) then you have to go the traditional route.

im gonna be done with this because it's not worth anybody here's time but. i don't like vista i think it is a weak os and someone here has a post proving osx came up with widgets.

It also doesn't matter who said it would be done. it matters who did it.. "Ok i have a brilliant idea im gonna make a rocketship that flies at the speed of light..."

when they make a rocketship that flies at the speed of light im not gonna take credit.

Fact is apple did all these things first.....

anyway i love osx and hate vista and most of the population hates vista therefore it doesn't matter what u prove i don't like vista and the population still won't either.

p.s. i think the post is by a noony moose i'll find it

Apple did not invent these things so neither company is copying the other OS' features. Honestly, is that so difficult to comprehend?

Most of the population hates Vista because it is the popular thing to do. They think it's cool to jump the bandwagon and say that it sucks.

most of the population hates vista

I know many people who don't even have a Vista computer and they all say its bad because of what other people say. Apple lovers took advantage of the compatibility problems to say Vista and Microsoft are bad and Apple and OS X are perfect. I personnaly appreciate both companies because without both we would not have as big an industry. Microsoft helped Apple with the Apple 2 with its applications. Apple helped Microsoft by providing an OS to work with.

When Steve came back Apple was failing and one thing he did was call Bill Gates and ask for his help to patch things up.

iPoco

There's a difference between your opinion, and facts. I won't argue on which OS is better than what OS, but don't spread false information like that.

will give you pently of reasons not to use bob's os.

i drugingly slow on a DUAL CORE 3.4GHZ machine with over 2gb of ram.

2.) m$haft owns you, didnt you read the agreement? they can install and remove ANYTHING they want and get away with it.

3.)the firewall sucks.use zonealarm its WAY better.

4.) it includes NOTHING but the base OS.no office, no photoshop/gimp.NADA

5.)it installs (fixed with VISTA, or was it?cant see past the spash screen) from DOS.right DOS.as in i need a driver for that to hang your system because all these other drivers are loaded before i can find your {censored}.at least give me VESA mode and sb16 equivalent sound and IDE DMA access.

6.)bob has to authenticate your everything.inspect your (WAWA) too if he could.

7.)your key only works on that system for install ONCE with VISTA.I have tried with two different installations.dont use an upgrade key with a full installer either.he still has two seperate installers for these.that was supposed to been fixed.

XP at least, maybe vista tooo, cant look at the output to see, is a facial upgraded OS.

Notice the 5.1, not 5.0 of the kernel? 5.0 was win2k.with the proper (SP3+compat. wizard,DX10, WMP9+VC1 codec...) stuff installed, you dont need XP.You dont need WMP10 or above for VC1 codec, either.

8.) like unix-es i've seen, nothing since at least 1983 has been deleted or changed, only left behind and left to rot.so that bloody 16-bit or 32-bit app wizard from windows 3.1 is still there in VISTA.I know its in XP.look in your windows folder a little more closely at the .exe files.

9.) everything, even after booting to NTFS, the propriatary file system STILL abides by the 8.3 naming convention, even within the GUI and after the install.come on, at least update the names a little.......i dont live in DOS days no more.

10.)OH IM NOT DONE BY FAR.....

10--- you cant just access your drive from even NTFS dos mode.you only have half assed repair utilities that usually dont do the job.this was added by the windows NT4 days and left there, updated some, but left there.

11.) you MUST use chkdsk (chk what?) to repair your drive.heaven forbid you cant boot it.now your screwed.

12.) it overrides your linux or lepard boot loader.i dont care, overwrite everything......

13--- mostly #12 cant format a drive or dual boot unless windows has it FIRST.

FAT32 corrupts.dont ever eveer EVER mount a fat32 from mac OSX on windows or vice-versa or under unix.your fat will be corrupted by the next boot, there usually isnt a fix but to use {censored} dos tools.(kind of fixed with ubuntu's ddrepair and scrounging utils....)

FAT32 on big drives is a no no no with XP or greater.you have to use OSX or unix.but the installer does give you the option to use it.

VISTA, buggier than swisss cheese.updates almost DAILY.firewall has a lot to be desired.malicious hackers always find a way in, usually through the browser.hmmmmm.think they would be packaging mozilla by now.....

GET THIS....only windows ME versions EVER packed free OSS with thier machines as a default install.(emachines) EVER.have not seen *nix softwares on windows since unless YOU add them.

Leopard/Tiger is basically FreeBSD with mac app support, mind you its a B----- to configure right if doing by hand, but thats what it is.apple dropped their BSD disk because linux hackers found out about this 'tweak' they claim to use as their proprietary OS.Load open darwin and a few hacks(needed for Leopard to work, not so much for tiger...) and you can boot it on normal hardware.not talking drivers here, actual kernal and low-level bios stuff.

thier Os is only as propriety as ZETA and Ubuntu and Fedora Core and Knoppix.It has a base OS that is open source and publicly available and NOTHING NOTHING will ever change that.doubt they will outsmart hackers BECAUSE OF THIS FACT ALONE.OSX is forever now in the hands of everyone else (Kalaway,those who want to use it on thier generic hardware,ETC...)because of this.

Windows, kiss the source goodbye.so you get only what M$ thinks you need.you can tell by the price, they want you SOOOOOO bad.NOT.

Even with TWO keys per disc it isn't worth it, oh and that how many varieties does it come in? not Archs, varietys.

supposedly theres still a ppc g5 port for the 360 dev team.so that version still exists.even if they dont give it out.

supposedly version 9 is coming out and it STILL doesnt fix the major issues made with XP, still had compat software stuff installed, and STILL doesnt have 64-bit or IP6 support natively.not worth the money to upgrade every two years or so anymore for the latest games or whatnot.better to get them on the 360 or M$ new el cheapo machine.ok,the PS3 may have won a few games first, but they are coming around.look at UT3 should be out for the 360 now, if not soon.well worth the money if you liked UT:GOTY.

game boxes are taking most of the games AWAY from the PC because of the resources and raw power required, with exception of CrySis, as we all know, but they (the dev teams) are realizing thier mistake on this and slowly correcting it.

watch these overgrown speedy pc's become nothing more than overweight paperweights unless they are streaming/crunching videos or become servers someday.that is about all the diff i use mine for anymore.anyone can use a pc /mac to type up a letter or send a fax ETc.. the power was needed for the games and GUIs for windows and MAC OSX as well as VIDEO PROCESSING. VP is all about what these machines do well above the text mode and web browser stuff that my Dreamcast can do.Its old and seganet wont work, but the browser and email over DHCP mode will.who cares about speed on this machine anyway.reported my ps2 can do the same with some minor tweaking so i really have...

lemme count..

1(tower),2(ibook bought for oversea duty same age as imac given to papa),3(mini as backup for tower when it failed as notebook was OOC/FUBAR at the time),4(dreamcast),5(ps2)

FIVE computers...WOW.

FIVE that can do anything but crunch movies.3 that can, albeit one is rather slow(notebook ) at it.so why do I use my tower again?

right.thought so.

you wonder why i dont use windows anymore.i could probably fully use the API calls for UT3under wine even; if I can get it installed temprarily.(just a workaround for installer v.30 that requires xp to install some apps)

BTW there is a way to bypass the activation successfully on XP.cant say more on that.googole long enough, you'll find it.

will give you pently of reasons not to use bob's os.

i drugingly slow on a DUAL CORE 3.4GHZ machine with over 2gb of ram.

2.) m$haft owns you, didnt you read the agreement? they can install and remove ANYTHING they want and get away with it.

3.)the firewall sucks.use zonealarm its WAY better.

4.) it includes NOTHING but the base OS.no offi...

So I'm guessing you don't like Windows?

Dude, I hate to say it. But, I told you so...

Yes you did.

But no, seriously. "i drugingly slow on a DUAL CORE 3.4GHZ machine with over 2gb of ram."

That's got to be complete bull. There is just no way his computer struggles with it if a 1.8GHz single core with 1GB of memory has minor difficulties.

But no, seriously. "i drugingly slow on a DUAL CORE 3.4GHZ machine with over 2gb of ram."

That's got to be complete bull. There is just no way his computer struggles with it if a 1.8GHz single core with 1GB of memory has minor difficulties.

Somewhat wrong. :lol: Looks at my specs, same thing.

The problem isn't that the machine isn't running fast. The issue is the design choices in the GUI make it feel sluggish.

Vista runs fast on my 1.6 dual core with 512mb of ram. Not one problem. So no its not slow. I develop applications on it and can still use Photoshop at the same time. Half the reasons you gave are untrue and also OS X has some of the same problems.

iPoco

Wow, nice though-provoking topic.

Why DO People have Vista and love Mac OS?

I did Windows for years back to 3.1 up through Vista.

XP worked well enough after SP2. Vista came out, I got in the Beta program. I really liked Vistas looks and "feel".

But living with production Vista on a powerful modern machine just wasn't what I expected. For my important stuff, I went back to XP.

Then I tried Leo4All, and ended up buying this MacPro as a result.

Leopard in many ways doesn't do as much or is as pretty as Vista. But like many others, I love it anyway and dislike Vista.

Why?

Hate:

Vista seems sluggish. Even though a lot of stuff is faster by stopwatch, it feels slow.

Vista is constantly checking to see if I stole it. Even changing a RAID setting will kill your activation, giving you 3 days to phone MS and beg forgiveness. That said, MS has never refused me an activation ever, though one time they were openly suspicious and hostile.

Vista itself seldom crashed, but a lot of "Vista compatible" programs would.

Vista screwed up my 8 years of email badly, so that it could never be returned to XP or anything else. Only Vista seems to be able to open my archives. I think this was an accident or possibly a onpurposedent. It didn't seem intentional. My older XP archives survived.

I feel that Vistas flaws have two sources:

1, it's trying to be all things to all people and is trying to bite off more than it can chew as a result. Part of this is the draconian anti-piracy technology built into the deepest levels of Vista. ( to satisfy Hollywood people)

2, in order to be "the best OS ever" , MS focused on eliminating all problems and weaknesses, which they did fairly well. Unfortunately, they did NOT focus on producing something BETTER or even desirable.... just a relative lack of problems or weaknesses.

Love:

Leopard is intended for use on selected Apple manufactured computers only. As a result of not having to accommodate every type of hardware under the sun, it runs better.

Leopard is NOT constantly checking my honesty. It doesn't even have a Serial Number! All it does is check that you're putting it on an Apple-made computer (of the correct types) when you install it. I want my OS to just RUN THE COMPUTER, not constantly question my integrity. Lack of Paranoia= :huh: +++ XOXOXOXO

Even though Leopard is not as pretty as Vista and supports fewer programs natively, it does what it does competently, quietly and efficiently . Programs crash less frequently. Finder finds stuff. Mail does Mail. Stuff gets done. Even Time Machine just works.

The evil Hackers out there apparently hate MS with a purple passion and are constantly attacking MS technology. They do not appear to hate Apple as much and mostly leave us alone.

Wow! Trying to quantify and define Feelings is fun!

Keri

game boxes are taking most of the games AWAY from the PC because of the resources and raw power required, with exception of CrySis, as we all know, but they (the dev teams) are realizing thier mistake on this and slowly correcting it.

This the only part I'm quoting, because there's no use to argue about your other "KEY VALUES", as most of them are {censored}.

Let me ask you something. Would you go for the $300 system that plays games, or the $800 PC that plays games? I would choose the console, it's cheaper, and easier to setup. Consoles will never take the place of a PC for games, PC will never take the place of consoles for games. Consoles, really have nothing but some exclusives. but then most of it is just multiplatform games. Call of Duty 4? A PC game, ported to consoles. Crysis is not on consoles, because due to the fact it's a giant sandbox world, no console could handle it without taking the sandbox out. And Crysis is also terribly coded, BAD example there buddy. If you also notice, but devs out there for consoles have not made PC games. EVER. They started on console, and stay console. Downloadable content, mods. Most of them for console games, you have to pay for, or the game has none. A PC game like Half-life 2, has tons of mods, which are free. Pcs also can put out higher quality than what our current consoles can. How many games for the xbox 360 are truely rendered in 1080p, and not upscaled? 2? Call of Duty 4 if I remember is in the 600 range for it's resolution. Halo 3 is also cut down resolution to keep a stable FPS.

PC gaming will not die, console gaming will not die, they'll just coexist with each other, like they have been.

As for my input on topic, I like both Vista and OSX. Vista runs great for me, Os X runs great for me. I get the best of both worlds.

A) -> Vista runs fast on my 1.6 dual core with 512mb of ram.

C) -> Not one problem.

D) -> So no its not slow.

A + C doesn't prove D

You can only use a single example to disprove a hypothesis, not prove one. Didn't you take theoretical foundations of computer science? :huh::)