Why do people hate Vista but love OS X and/or Linux?

dillon31292

146 posts in this topic

Well I don't really hate vista but it uses too much resources on my laptop and a lot of games run slower (and some run faster, most Unreal Engine games). If I made a new computer I would most likely install Vista on it though.

Well I don't really hate vista but it uses too much resources on my laptop and a lot of games run slower (and some run faster, most Unreal Engine games). If I made a new computer I would most likely install Vista on it though.

from my point of view,,i seem to be the go to guy when it comes to fixing peoples xp setups.

when vista came in,,,i found myself looking like a complete beginner,,with no clue how to find essential items,,,,

things that i used to navigate to blindfolded.

when i installed osx it was a different story,,,you just somehow know where everything is and how it works (maybe its just me)

and i find it to be very gentle on the resources too.......

all of the above is why i completely kissed microsoft goodbye.

i've since converted a few frequent 'xp breakers' to mac,,and i haven't heard from them since. :(

from my point of view,,i seem to be the go to guy when it comes to fixing peoples xp setups.

when vista came in,,,i found myself looking like a complete beginner,,with no clue how to find essential items,,,,

when i installed osx it was a different story,,,you just somehow know where everything is and how it works (maybe its just me)

i've since converted a few frequent 'xp breakers' to mac,,and i haven't heard from them since. :(

No offense but I find it hard to believe that you fixed computers if you couldn't find Vista's control panel. I mean, seriously, it's all of two clicks away. :B

...vista has failed, period.

it really doesn't matter why, it has...

Opinions aside, your own personal experience with Vista does not make it a failure, anymore than any negative experience(s) I have with Linux or OSX, makes Linux or OSX a failure. Sorry, but for every person who has had a negative experience with Vista, Linux, OSX, your are likely to find another person who has had a positive experience with these. It all comes down to opinions, preference and perception not fact. If it was fact and Vista was a total failure, why do the majority of computer users continue to purchase and stick with Vista - that alone tells me that Vista is not a failure. For all the years that I have heard of people bitching and complaining about Windows XP and now Vista being so bad, the majority continue to use it. Lol, in fact check out bids on E-Bay for copies of Vista - you will notice

bidding wars.

Every OS has it strengths and weaknesses. Chill and check out this Utube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owe59KA6OsA

i've since converted a few frequent 'xp breakers' to mac,,and i haven't heard from them since. :)

well, your either lying, or you forget easy.. as nothing in vista from xp has really changed location...

Vista hasn't failed...

almost every new computer I come into contact with, has vista....

Well I have no prob with vista. Like every new windows OS you need to upgrade hardware for it to run nice and fast, e.g. 64mb was the min for XP (I think) and it ran like a dog, but vista needs 512mb ram to run and it runs like a dog and then people complain its a resource hog :s.

So if you have a decent machine vista is going to run well, even better with a little tweeking.

But what really annoyes me is people who sit there and {censored} about MS and say how dodgie they are but still use their operating systems. I mean c'mon guys, if you are going to {censored} about MS products have the nerve to start using Linux or Mac OS.

Well, why do I hate Vista, not sure where to start really. Could it be its ultra sluggish performance (on very high spec machines)/programs crashing/blue screens of death/hardware not working correctly with it (yes, 1 1/2+ years after its release)?

What an atrocious OS, I have yet to find anything to commend it on.

Well, why do I hate Vista, not sure where to start really. Could it be its ultra sluggish performance (on very high spec machines)/programs crashing/blue screens of death/hardware not working correctly with it (yes, 1 1/2+ years after its release)?

What an atrocious OS, I have yet to find anything to commend it on.

you sir are a troll... a big green idiot that stands out because of its stench... go elsewhere nobody wants a troll... read the last couple posts, your very vague misguided hatred towards vista is just making you look stupid... blah who the hell cares... hate vista, your loss... everyone knows you'll be on your pc in 20 min. if that's not what you posted from. don't currently know anyone (even a friend who works for mac) who only uses mac... except people who are almost never on a computer at all... some of them use only mac... but who cares about them :(

you sir are a troll... a big green idiot that stands out because of its stench... go elsewhere nobody wants a troll... read the last couple posts, your very vague misguided hatred towards vista is just making you look stupid... blah who the hell cares... hate vista, your loss... everyone knows you'll be on your pc in 20 min. if that's not what you posted from. don't currently know anyone (even a friend who works for mac) who only uses mac... except people who are almost never on a computer at all... some of them use only mac... but who cares about them :wacko:

Not quite a troll. Misguided hatred, not all misguided, all through experience. Being a developer I have had the pleasure on working on Vista based systems for over 12hrs+ a day from its birth. Believe me, I am more disappointed with its eventual outcome than a lot of people. I have countless numbers of very unhappy Vista using friends and family members, most of whom have downgraded back to XP. Vague - well I thought I should not bore everyone with memory dumps from Vista crashes (unless you want to help debug them for me). Granted a lot of the issues are with driver manufacturers. And yes, I have lots of Mac only friends who use Mac extensively on a professional basis.

And no, this was posted from my iMac. My Vista based HTPC still sits crashed with yet another fatal error. Vista seems not to be the right tool for that job, I must remember to pick up some [Linux] MythTV compatible tuner cards later this week.

... well I thought I should not bore everyone with memory dumps from Vista crashes (unless you want to help debug them for me). Granted a lot of the issues are with driver manufacturers...

No offense, I have yet to see the memory dumps and vista crashes you speak of. I think you must have pretty c*appy hardware, malfunctioning hardware, or just a plain c*appy computer, or as you defined issues with driver manufacturers, which sir is not particular to Vista - driver incompatibility issues are also commonplace with Mac OSX and Linux. Bottom line is that you have a Vista Incompatible computer. That does not make Vista bad or justify your hatred. There are also OSX and Linux incompatible computers, but that does not make OSX and Linux "bad." If you really want to use Vista, I suggest you get a better computer/more compatible hardware. Perhaps you should really test Vista on more than one computer and see if you can replicate those errors on every computer. Because, if you can do that, then you may have a point, otherwise it means nothing. That is like having issues wiht Linux or Mac OSX on one computer and assuming that Linux and Mac OSX are no good because you had problems on the one computer you tested them on. Not everyone shares your experience. The fact that there are people that have no issues with Vista confirms that your experience does not reflect everyone's experience. Also, if Vista was so bad, there would not be buyers on E-Bay entering bidding wars to purchase it, and no one, I mean no one would be purchasing computers with Vista, and yet that is not happening. Unlike you, I have lots of family and friends that love Vista. It is interesting to note that I have a triple boot system running with Vista, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OSX and I seem to be have more Kernel panics with OSX(in fact so much so that I have been unable to resolve it and have gone back to dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu Linux which run without any problems at all) eventhough in theory it should not happen in this case since my hardware setup has been tested by others and is posted on WIKI as being totally compatible with OSX. Lol, yet you don't seem me bashing OSX.

BBrown, I just got this last night on my Vista box, and my hardware is far from "crappy".

webvg3.jpg

Thing is, you guys can say that the Vista failure stories are just rumors or make up or whatever, but they really do happen. :(

BBrown, I just got this last night on my Vista box, and my hardware is far from "crappy".

webvg3.jpg

Thing is, you guys can say that the Vista failure stories are just rumors or make up or whatever, but they really do happen. :(

Lol, Colonel, how is going?  I kind of anticipated you would jump in sooner or later - was waiting.  Anyway, I think that you missed the point.  That is no different than getting an error like a kernel panic in OSX or even getting errors in Linux.  Errors like are not specific to any one type of OS.  Some people get them with vista others don't.  Some get them with Linux, others don't.  And some get them with OSX, others don't.  So I fail to see what you are trying to do other than isolate and bash Vista making it seem like Vista is the only OS that suffers from problems.  FWIW, I have never got any errors running Vista but constantly get this with OSX

106227_3.jpg

Don't know why none installations, reinstallations, burning and installing copy from elsewhere ever fixed the problems.  Not even following recommendations here. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392?viewlocale=en_US

Does that mean I should bash OSX and the OSX project.  Don't think so cause it doesn't happen to everyone - that was my point.  In your case, you were probably one of the unlucky few with Vista cause I have yet to see the error you experienced.

I have a very simple solution for you Colonel and anyone else who uses Vista, has problems with Vista, and doesn't like Vista.  DON'T USE VISTA.   If it is so bad, why do you guys continue to use it???  I had problems with OSX and instead of bashing it non-stop, bitching and complaining about how horrible it was, I just stopped using it.

Vista is a Sexy {censored} man. my images speek for them selfs.

though you should also see my sexy G'os (google os?) I have screeny fomr my laptop thats running G'os but for my main SLI Configurtion its running vista.

so for all you wine-ing about poor performance about vista, this beast runs fast... tip from a Elite pc user looks isn't everthing

post-52178-1218396507_thumb.gif

post-52178-1218396517_thumb.gif

post-52178-1218397465_thumb.png

post-52178-1218397526_thumb.png

I think you must have pretty c*appy hardware, malfunctioning hardware, or just a plain c*appy computer, or as you defined issues with driver manufacturers, which sir is not particular to Vista - driver incompatibility issues are also commonplace with Mac OSX and Linux. Bottom line is that you have a Vista Incompatible computer. That does not make Vista bad or justify your hatred. There are also OSX and Linux incompatible computers, but that does not make OSX and Linux "bad." If you really want to use Vista, I suggest you get a better computer/more compatible hardware. Perhaps you should really test Vista on more than one computer and see if you can replicate those errors on every computer.

Assumptions, assumptions. I use 3x Vista computers, 2 from manufacturers (one including a HP 64bit top of the line laptop running Vista Ultimate, the other a desktop from Acer), and a HTPC built using top of the range components, all that were labeled 'Vista compatible'. The 64bit laptop running Vista Ultimate 64bit really is the worst computing experience I have encountered.

Assumptions, assumptions. I use 3x Vista computers, 2 from manufacturers (one including a HP 64bit top of the line laptop running Vista Ultimate, the other a desktop from Acer), and a HTPC built using top of the range components, all that were labeled 'Vista compatible'. The 64bit laptop running Vista Ultimate 64bit really is the worst computing experience I have encountered.

If that is the case and you are so frustrated with Vista, why do you continue to use it?? No point using something that is causing you so much frustration. Makes no sense. Just move on. There is little to be gained by complaining about it. Don't like, don't use.

I am not experiencing the pain and suffering you are experiencing with Vista, so it is okay in my books.

• 2 months later...

well,,maybe an exaggeration, a bit,,,,,,but at the same time,,i just got the impression from vista that you'd have to 'get used' to it....

whereas all upgrades from 10.4.8 through to 10.5.4 have been the sorta thing where you reboot,, and realise that visually,,,everythings the same(more or less)

i don't like over elaborate visual effects and menus and things too,,,maybe that's something to do with it.

No, vista may not be so bad, but the problem is not whether its bad or good. The problem is that it made no amazing advancements from XP, especially for things that were really necessary (maybe security?). Up until XP, Windows has been using the same Windows 3.1 graphics code. In Vista they finally updated it so that it uses modern hardware like it should. However they really didn't do anything useful with it. Mac on the other hand has useful things like Expose and et cetera.

Think Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. Big Difference.

Windows XP to Windows Vista? Not much.

Look Vista got a terrible reputation at first but it really isn't that bad. I bought Vista when it first came out and I've never had any problems with it. It is a much different layout but most things make sense once you think about it.

The big problem with Vista is that it throws up all over you when you try and run software that isn't supported by Windows. One of the great things about XP was that it ran okay with just about anything. Of course, I don't know if the new versions of OS or Linux are any better in this department.

i agree but we al must rember that xp sucked and people hated it too when it first came out i was one too i love win 2000 have used vista and 10.5.5 on the same pc for almost a year know i love them both but for very diffrent reasons , just lean to like what u can we will never love all of the os any way lol just be happy it works well and $$$$$$ omg its free too lol well not apple i did not fell bad buying that but ms$ is overcharging for his prodict i think lol :(

No, vista may not be so bad, but the problem is not whether its bad or good. The problem is that it made no amazing advancements from XP, especially for things that were really necessary (maybe security?). Up until XP, Windows has been using the same Windows 3.1 graphics code. In Vista they finally updated it so that it uses modern hardware like it should. However they really didn't do anything useful with it. Mac on the other hand has useful things like Expose and et cetera.

Think Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. Big Difference.

Windows XP to Windows Vista? Not much.

Which is the biggest problem with Vista right now. The only real thing that Vista offers that XP doesn't is DX10, and Vista was marketed on the fact it has DX10. BUT, DX10 was never used really. Which is it's biggest problem. They had basically put all their chips into DX10, but lost the bet. Vista is nice, but is Vista needed? No. Now for 64-bit, I would easily go Vista and forget about XP64-bit.

Unix way of thinking: Let's do something more usable and stable than before. (result:

something more usable and stable than before).

Windows way of thinking: Let's do something more pretty than before (result: requirements triple times higher than before). ;)

It's becoming a problem when we use windows mostly for games (like I and lot of you guys), there may be lot of "vista-only" releases soon I'm afraid :/

Hi,

only the 32-bit-version is good to use. All other versions are very often not compatible to my programs, so I can not use them.

The same with XP. I tried XP x64 on the pc of my son. Very quick, very nice. But there was nearly no game running. Also with x86. Why did MS build this versions ? I do not know why.

Greetings,

Andreas