Windows Vista is fine

WinMacLin

98 posts in this topic

I am? :D

Yes, I know OS X does a similar thing, even Ubuntu does, but Vista's is much more frequent. With OS X and Linux its basically any time you want install something.. with Vista, its whenever you want to DO something... :/

Nah, in fact you could argue that the OSX nagging about userid/pwd is more annoying. On an average week, I see UAC two times, both times due to a crappy update program from HP (driver update program, that wants to update the driver). Otherwise Indeed you see it when you install something (mostly need elevated authority, not always though), or when you are doing administrative tasks, like running computer management, adding users and such, of course doing these kind of things require entering a pwd in OSX and linux as well...

Nah, in fact you could argue that the OSX nagging about userid/pwd is more annoying. On an average week, I see UAC two times, both times due to a crappy update program from HP (driver update program, that wants to update the driver). Otherwise Indeed you see it when you install something (mostly need elevated authority, not always though), or when you are doing administrative tasks, like running computer management, adding users and such, of course doing these kind of things require entering a pwd in OSX and linux as well...

And you guys called ME a Vista fanboy...? :)

I have Vista too and I think it is a "great" OS.. definitely a different direction from what XP was supposed to be...

XP is more of "I have tons of compatibility but I look like a {censored} :)" and Vista more of "I have less compatibility but I LOOK SEXY!"

But in all fairness, I don't think the comparison can be made between OSX and Vista because the target audience between the two OSes is different. Vista is aimed to be more "stream-lined" "regular people OS" (with regular jobs and average income) but OSX is more like a treat and premium OS aimed for the "slightly richer" people with a higher income rate. As hecker puts it, Microsoft is ALL ABOUT THE MONAYyy.. and OS X is all about the SEXAYyy... so yea.. its like comparing Subway to McDonalds per say.. :P

(obviously Subway is better but McD is more successful.. why.. QUANTITY vs QUALITY = quantity wins)... I'm hungry now.. ;)

...and OS X is all about the SEXAYyy...

That is highly debatable as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." For me, Vista is sexier than OSX. Linux, OSX, and Vista have their strenghts and weaknesses. Why pit them against one another and try and choose when you can enjoy them all and boot into which ever one you want to get what you want done that one alone may not be able to do.

And "Windows Vista Did Not Steal Ideas From Mac OS X"

And "Windows Vista Did Not Steal Ideas From Mac OS X"

No, Windows Vista did indeed not steal those ideas from OS X.

Neither spotlight search nor dashboard.

And Pogue (an old and well-known Apple fanboy) cracking jokes about doesn't make it truer.

"The Longhorn Sidebar uses XML to display Tiles, which are components connected to local and remote resources. "

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows, November 2002

"it will be possible to search contextually ("Show me all of my vacation photos" rather than a search by file name, which is often pointless in the context of digital photos). Secondly, WinFS will unify all of today's disparate data stores. In the future, we won't need separate containers for email, corporate data, Word documents and other data files, and so on. If you search for "Paul Thurrott" in Longhorn, you will retrieve email I've sent to you, documents that contain my name, my Contacts listing, relevant photographs, music I like, and so forth, all in a single, fell swoop."

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows, March 2002

Granted, Apple was shipping the features to the market.

But now... who has been copying whom here?

Just for the record: Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" was first publicly preview at WWDC 2004.

And accusing Microsoft of "stealing" the Dashboard idea from Apple is just plain impertinent, considering that Dashboard is as good as a carbon copy of Konfabulator...

No, Windows Vista did indeed not steal those ideas from OS X.

Neither spotlight search nor dashboard.

And Pogue (an old and well-known Apple fanboy) cracking jokes about doesn't make it truer.

"The Longhorn Sidebar uses XML to display Tiles, which are components connected to local and remote resources. "

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows, November 2002

"it will be possible to search contextually ("Show me all of my vacation photos" rather than a search by file name, which is often pointless in the context of digital photos). Secondly, WinFS will unify all of today's disparate data stores. In the future, we won't need separate containers for email, corporate data, Word documents and other data files, and so on. If you search for "Paul Thurrott" in Longhorn, you will retrieve email I've sent to you, documents that contain my name, my Contacts listing, relevant photographs, music I like, and so forth, all in a single, fell swoop."

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows, March 2002

Granted, Apple was shipping the features to the market.

But now... who has been copying whom here?

Just for the record: Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" was first publicly preview at WWDC 2004.

And accusing Microsoft of "stealing" the Dashboard idea from Apple is just plain impertinent, considering that Dashboard is as good as a carbon copy of Konfabulator...

And Konfabulator is just a copy of DesktopX.

Let me make two things clear here:

1. BBrown, i hate Vista. It needs to go away for a very long time. I dont know where you got the idea that I like it, but i don't.

2. bullet, if {censored} could take a {censored}, then that's what your last post would be.

... BBrown, i hate Vista. It needs to go away for a very long time. I dont know where you got the idea that I like it, but i don't...

I don't recall where in any of my posts I stated that you like Vista. Somebody else called you a Vista Fan Boy and it wasn't me, so I suggest you carefully re-read posts before you make these types of allegations.

Also whether you like Vista or not, I could careless it is all a matter of preference. It is evident that you are a Mac Fan Boy and a Mac Hugger, nothing wrong with that. I also know you don't want to hear this, but Vista is not going anywhere.

P.S.: I am dedicating this video to you Colonel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owe59KA6OsA

1. BBrown, i hate Vista. It needs to go away for a very long time. I dont know where you got the idea that I like it, but i don't.

2. bullet, if {censored} could take a {censored}, then that's what your last post would be.

Dude you don't know how wrong you are. You're making the joke look good. It should be if a {censored}'s {censored} could take a {censored}..

@ bullet: Seriously dude, that was lame.

• 2 weeks later...

Vista for me works for what I need it for. As Pirillo says Microsoft is killing it's power users and we are switching to Linux and Mac which is bad for two reasons.

1. Power users will use Linux/Mac which in turn leads to

2. Power users friends and family will use Linux/Mac which will lead to more and more...

MS is shooting itself and for what?