Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6

sheeplover

332 posts in this topic

I am trying for the whole day now:

I can't get 10.5.6 on an external HDD to work.

10.5.5 works just fine but after upgrading to 10.5.6 and patching again it gets Stuck with

AppleUSBEHCI [0x69...]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0x69, timing out!

I tried 3 different USB enclosures and 2 different drives. No luck at all ... oO

I will try a fresh install Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Retail DVD) plus 10.5.6 combo update with LS8v14 on an external USB disk. Chameleon EFI 1.0.11 only, no DSDT patch, no PC_EFI v9. I will let you know.

I did the same trick as ls8 (removing the PM kext). Installed fine, but could not boot even once. Damn!

Tried with all tricks described by Netkas - no luck again.

Back to 10.5.5 after 7 restores and more than 10 hours wasted F..ck

Good luck!

Sheeplover, do you know what got replaced in your system and what kext you can put back?

I think the 9.6 kernel is changed a lot and everything is pain in the ass to make it work again.

Keep us posted, cheers!

My MacBook Pro is now up to 10.5.6. There are lots of improvements. Seems faster too ...

I will try a fresh install Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Retail DVD) plus 10.5.6 combo update with LS8v14 on an external USB disk. Chameleon EFI 1.0.11 only, no DSDT patch, no PC_EFI v9. I will let you know.

That's great, so I'll have a second check. Which brand/type of external enclosure do you use?

I have an old Datafab, 2 Raidsonic IcyBox models and one of the first Pleyades with the mesh-front.

All are USB2.0 & FW. Because I tried all of them I think that the issue is somehow system related.

My MacBook Pro is now up to 10.5.6. There are lots of improvements. Seems faster too ...

My beloved real Macs are running 10.5.6 too and at least the Mini G4 seems to run faster than before.

The biggest improvement for me until now is the correct syncing of mobile.me ;-)

Sheeplover, do you know what got replaced in your system and what kext you can put back?

I think the 9.6 kernel is changed a lot and everything is pain in the ass to make it work again.

I didn't try to downgrade various kext, only the ones we definately need from the LS8v14 package.

What I did was the following:

- install chameleon + netkas EFIv9 Bootloader onto an empty GUID-partitioned hdd

- remotely install 10.5.0 from a stock DVD

- remotely install 10.5.6 Combo

- use post-patch.sh from LS8v14 with Psystar-NIC-driver, and no 3rd-party (s)ata drivers

--> can't boot via USB-HDD. (With 10.5.5 it works)

Also booting with -x doesn't work.

As the result is exactly the same wether I use DSDT-patch or not I think that we don't need it.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare SATA-HDD to test with :-(( I ordered two new drives but I will be next week for them to arrive. I really should order a cheep old sata hdd for testing and upgrading purposes oO

I'm now going to install 10.5.5 on the external drive and give 10.5.6 on the internal one a shot... cu later ;-)

Update and success:

I did some more testing (or wasted another couple of hours oO).

The result is 10.5.6 running flawlessly with Chameleon + netkas EFIv9 but without any disabler or DSDT patching.

Regarding the non-working USB-booting of 10.5.6 I tried the the following:

-remote stock install 10.5.0 + combo update 10.5.5 + LS8v14 post-patch.sh on USB-Drive: WORKING

-remote stock install 10.5.0 + combo update 10.5.6 + LS8v14 post-patch.sh on USB-Drive: NOT WORKING

(for failure description see previous posts)

-clone of this install to an internal SATA-Drive via CCC: WORKING

-remote stock install 10.5.0 + combo update 10.5.6 + LS8v14 post-patch.sh to internal SATA: WORKING

Because the exact same installation failed to boot from USB while working from an internatl hdd, I guess that there were changes in 10.5.6 to the USB driver architecture somehow. But - I'm a designer no technician, so only a wild wild guess ;-)

Now I'm really anxious to the results of LS8's try with his USB drive.

(Is anxious the right word here??? The dictionary told me so oO)

-- edit --

By flawlessly I really mean flawlessly: Everything works perfect. Sleep, Shutdown, Reboot, TM, QE, CI, Sound, all 4 NIC w/ teaming, DHCP (even after wake),... I'm really glad this thing runs so well.

--edit 2 --

Not as flawless as I thought. After the update my second gfx-card doesn't work any longer using strings.

I used to have a third monitor hooked up to a 7300GT in the second pcie slot.

Will work on this tommorow ...

I don't know if the DSDT is pointless or not, I just don't use it. Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement can break your osx86 install, that's why you have to run the "rm -rf" command and leave the terminal window opened during the update install. System information (About this Mac - CPU frequency, RAM frequency etc.) was incorrect after the update (with vanilla AppleSMBIOS), audio did not work. So I reinstalled LS8v14 which replaced AppleSMBIOS and audio drivers, everything runs OK now! :unsure:

hello LS8,

does your sleep function works or it shuts down the computer instead ?

As I posted in a new topic here, it seems like Apple made significant changes to Mail.app...

I made a comoplete backup of ~/Library/Mail

Normally, restoring this restored Mail.app to it's previous state. But not in 10.5.6... Mail.app simply ignores the content of the folder and starts up empty.

Importing also doesn't work as the result looks like this:

post-89962-1229539912_thumb.png

Any clues???

=== UPDATE ===

Seems that I'm not the only one...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...2&tstart=90

Update and success:

I did some more testing (or wasted another couple of hours oO).

The result is 10.5.6 running flawlessly with Chameleon + netkas EFIv9 but without any disabler or DSDT patching.

Regarding the non-working USB-booting of 10.5.6 I tried the the following:

-remote stock install 10.5.0 + combo update 10.5.5 + LS8v14 post-patch.sh on USB-Drive: WORKING

-remote stock install 10.5.0 + combo update 10.5.6 + LS8v14 post-patch.sh on USB-Drive: NOT WORKING

(for failure description see previous posts)

-clone of this install to an internal SATA-Drive via CCC: WORKING

-remote stock install 10.5.0 + combo update 10.5.6 + LS8v14 post-patch.sh to internal SATA: WORKING

Because the exact same installation failed to boot from USB while working from an internatl hdd, I guess that there were changes in 10.5.6 to the USB driver architecture somehow. But - I'm a designer no technician, so only a wild wild guess ;-)

Now I'm really anxious to the results of LS8's try with his USB drive.

(Is anxious the right word here??? The dictionary told me so oO)

-- edit --

By flawlessly I really mean flawlessly: Everything works perfect. Sleep, Shutdown, Reboot, TM, QE, CI, Sound, all 4 NIC w/ teaming, DHCP (even after wake),... I'm really glad this thing runs so well.

--edit 2 --

Not as flawless as I thought. After the update my second gfx-card doesn't work any longer using strings.

I used to have a third monitor hooked up to a 7300GT in the second pcie slot.

Will work on this tommorow ...

Hey there sheeplover,

Glad to hear most of your system works ok... I have to ask if using the Netkas EFIv9 is a must ?

I am using a vanilla install of 10.5.0 + 10.5.5 combo, using chameleon EFI. and everything works great.

I'm not sure what does the Netkas EFI do... and how it works in conjunction with chameleon. are these the same ?

I'd be glad to have some explanations.

Anyway, I'm really afraid to upgrade, my machine works soooo good. but i still can't stand the feeling there is an update and not installing it :blink:

Does anyone have suggestions on what is the best method to upgrading from my system (10.5.5) without crying or ruining the "Vanillaness" of my system ?

Awaiting your replies impatiently,

Jonathan.

I am running 10.5.6 now, no PCEFI_v9, no DSDT patch. I just used the old trick:

sudo su -
while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Then installed MacOSXUpd10.5.6.dmg downloaded from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1056update.html (372MB). Computer froze on first reboot, started OK on second reboot.

Reinstall LS8v14 fixed audio and System information (CPU frequency etc.).

After the freeze (on the second boot) did you have to do safe mode or verbose?

My one can't start. Tried all possible switches, but a big No.

No clues on the screen :-(

As I posted in a new topic here, it seems like Apple made significant changes to Mail.app...

I made a comoplete backup of ~/Library/Mail

Normally, restoring this restored Mail.app to it's previous state. But not in 10.5.6... Mail.app simply ignores the content of the folder and starts up empty.

Importing also doesn't work as the result looks like this:

post-89962-1229539912_thumb.png

Any clues???

=== UPDATE ===

Seems that I'm not the only one...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...2&tstart=90

Try deliting the .DS_Store folders.

Any problems with keychain?

My mail works but can't remember the passwords.

And it's now official that 10.5.6 brings more issues than any other upgrade !!!

This is for real MACs, not Hackintosh only.

Booting 10.5.6 from external USB disk (WD MyPassport 160GB) ends with kernel panic. There must be a problem with USB in 10.5.6, my GA-EP45-DQ6 sometimes crashes with kernel panic when I connect something to the USB port.

magare: I used verbose mode on second reboot, but I can boot my desktop succesfully without any boot parameters since then.

fredouille: Sleep works.

Hey there sheeplover,

Glad to hear most of your system works ok... I have to ask if using the Netkas EFIv9 is a must ?

I am using a vanilla install of 10.5.0 + 10.5.5 combo, using chameleon EFI. and everything works great.

I'm not sure what does the Netkas EFI do... and how it works in conjunction with chameleon. are these the same ?

I'd be glad to have some explanations.

Anyway, I'm really afraid to upgrade, my machine works soooo good. but i still can't stand the feeling there is an update and not installing it

Does anyone have suggestions on what is the best method to upgrading from my system (10.5.5) without crying or ruining the "Vanillaness" of my system ?

Awaiting your replies impatiently,

Jonathan.

Hey Jonathan :),

I really know exactly how you feel about the uninstalled update ...it's what drove me into ruining my installation 3 days ago ;-)

I don't know if the netkas PCEFIv9 is needed because I didn't try it with Chameleon 1.0.11 only.

But, what I can tell you is that installing the netkas Bootloader is absolutely painless.

I installed it a week ago when I was running 10.5.5 and everything was just fine. I did a backup of the old bootloader and copied the new one over the old. Voilà.

After installing it you'll notice that the Darwin bootloader lists "Chameleon 1.0.12".

As far as I understood the netkas Bootloader is built on the Chameleon code.

What didn't really work was Hibernation. It will result in a Bios Post-Error and a reset of the Bios to it's defaults. Awaking from a stored sleep-image itself works, but correcting Bios-settings everytime isn't one of my favorites.

If you have a a second Mac I'd recommend you hook up your Hackintosh-HDD to it and install the update from there. Run the LS8-post-script after and you go as Vanilla as you can. That's how I did it and it works.

If you don't have another machine you should get yourself at least another harddrive. Install any version of OSX 10.5 on it. You just need basic functionality, no sound, no gfx, ... then you can remotely install Leopard from a stock DVD to any HDD you connect to. This makes things really a lot easier.

Booting 10.5.6 from external USB disk (WD MyPassport 160GB) ends with kernel panic. There must be a problem with USB in 10.5.6, my GA-EP45-DQ6 sometimes crashes with kernel panic when I connect something to the USB port.

What they definately changed is something iPhone-related ... I read about it in blog.iphone-dev.org.

The only thing that crashes on USB is my Iphone - when I reboot my Hack while the iPhone is connected it immediately reboots òÓ

Try deliting the .DS_Store folders.

Any problems with keychain?

My mail works but can't remember the passwords.

Hey magare,

Deleting the .DS_Stores didn't help. I wasn't really able to solve it but it works now thanks to mobile.me.

I stored my complete keychain & mailbox-info to mobile.me (I don't know what drove me when I was storing my passwords on to an Apple-Server :wacko:). Anyway, after I synched mobile.me it created the empty accounts in Mail.app and created the basic folder-structure. I copied the content of the backup into the new folders and it works now.

--

sheep

My iPhone also works .. it only crashes when I reboot the machine and it is connected.

Here's something about changes in USB (and sleep):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141584

btw: ls8, as I see you use a 8800GT. Does colormanagement work with it? Does the colorspace change when you change the active profile in the monitor prefs?

It worked with 10.5.5, I did not test it in 10.5.6 yet.

Edit: yes, it works also in 10.5.6 on my EP45-DQ6.

BTW updating from Chameleon 1.0.11 to PC_EFI v9 (Chameleon 1.0.12) requires only rewrite /boot with the bootloader file from netkas?

I did full reinstall on my GA-EP45-DQ6, everything works:

1/ Retail DVD install 10.5.2

2/ Combo update 10.5.6

3/ Chameleon 1.0.11

4/ LS8v14

5/ generated EFI strings (GFX, ETH) - in fact I copied com.Apple.boot.plist from my previous install

Sleep works, and I can wake with mouse or keyboard!!! Previously I had to press the power button on my case to wake up!!!

I did not use any DSDT patch, any PM disabler, Chameleon 1.0.11 only (no PC_EFI v9).

I am unable to get the onboard network (any of the four ports) to work. It accepts the DHCP static/reserved IP from the router but does not connect (both to the router or the internet). I've tried prescribed fix earlier in this thread to no avail. Suggestions?

I have everything else working though my internal RAID (via Softraid) shows as an ejectible drive with the internal drive icon (wondering if that might be RAID/SoftRaid related and if it should be ejectable?) Never noticed that before.

This is great news, I've been using your scripts (THANK YOU!) for a while now, and I've always wondered, which of the various options do *you* actually select when you install? Do you just select the defaults?

2/ Combo update 10.5.6

3/ Chameleon 1.0.11

4/ LS8v14

5/ generated EFI strings (GFX, ETH) - in fact I copied com.Apple.boot.plist from my previous install

Sleep works, and I can wake with mouse or keyboard!!! Previously I had to press the power button on my case to wake up!!!

I did not use any DSDT patch, any PM disabler, Chameleon 1.0.11 only (no PC_EFI v9).

Finally managed to upgrade to 10.5.6.

The problem was that I actually used the ~750MB update rather than the incremental 370MB one.

The process was as simple as 1,2,3. Just 1 sec loop of "rm -rfv" of the PM kext, then reboot (2 times) and reinstall the ls8 v14 stuff. Should have read the posts more carefully :-)

Works as a charm!

And actually the Netkas method is a NO NO for the p35 and p45 boards as the dsdt patch file actually breaks you video and may be some other things.

LS8, man - great job on putting together all this useful stuff.

Thanks heaps for spending so much of your personal time helping the community !!!

Just a minor thing. The post patch script does not handle errors. Not a biggie, but could lead to more posts :-)

Do you like me to have a look and put some error handling in the script (even write a cocoa app (j. kidding))?

I would be happy to do that if you don't mind.

Cheers !

:thumbsup_anim:

osxchat: all defaults, except for network (i use psystar driver, but the default - opensource - should work as well) and I don't install the TM fix (patched IONetworkingFamily) because I use EFI string for ethernet

magare: I always thought about creating a cocoa application, where the user could easily choose what kexts to install, but I suck in programming :thumbsup_anim:

HoosierOSX: are you using any kext driver for the ethernet? Which one? EFI strings?

2/ Combo update 10.5.6

3/ Chameleon 1.0.11

4/ LS8v14

Hey ls8, these sounds like good news.

Why did you reinstall ?

What do you think is the difference that this time you didn't need the PM disables?

Does it have anything to do with the upgrade being from 10.5.2 and not from 10.5.5 ?

10x, Jonathan.

I reinstalled just from curiosity, to test how LS8v14 works on fresh 10.5.6.

I never used any PowerManagement disabler. Some tutorials say you need it for 10.5.6, but you don't.

I own 10.5.2 retail DVD, it doesn't matter if you install any other (older or newer) version and then update to 10.5.6.

I am trying for the whole day now:

I can't get 10.5.6 on an external HDD to work.

10.5.5 works just fine but after upgrading to 10.5.6 and patching again it gets Stuck with

AppleUSBEHCI [0x69...]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0x69, timing out!

I tried 3 different USB enclosures and 2 different drives. No luck at all ... oO

I have USB SSD(OCZ) Drive Booting perfectly with 10.5.6 install .

post-76244-1229706898_thumb.png

I've tried:

Open source kext (with and without EFI)

Pystar kext (with and without EFI)

I've used them alone with IONetworkingFamily (with and without EFI).

I've also tried them as plugins to IONetworkingFamily rather than as separate kexts.

The only thing I can think of is to go back without the EFI string when using IONetworkingFamily and if that doesn't fix it and to remove IONetworkingFamily when using the Kext alone.

Am I misguided or missing something here?

HoosierOSX: are you using any kext driver for the ethernet? Which one? EFI strings?