Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6

sheeplover

332 posts in this topic

Yonika,

Thanks for the reply.

I certainly can vouch for the 2-3min as the timeframe for a crackle. I got so disappointed that I plugged in an old Griffin iMic that I had kicking around. It works flawlessly. Not a bad solution until someone figures this out.

@LS8: Thanks for the Link to the Psystar driver - I'm going to try it out tonight. And many thanks for compiling another great driver package ;-)

@everyone having popping sounds:

I was thinking about the reason for the popping noises for some time now - I can't relly explain but I have an idea where this might come from: These boards we're talking about here have extended power management features. The EP45-DQ6 i.e. can switch off individual parts of the mobo while not in use - this also includes every single NIC and also the ALC889a chipset.

Because the popping only happens after a period of silence it seems to me like the noise results in "switching" the chipset back on. I'm not so much of an engineer, so I can only suggest this but I can't go further into it.

My hope was that anyone here knows how to check for this and perhaps gets an idea of the noises' cause.

Your theory about audio popping and power management is definitelly right, it has already been discussed in some other thread, I cannot find it now tho.

What is the most stable BIOS for out MoBo? Now I am running the stock F5 BIOS, version F12 is available from GigaByte website.

hello there,

I have another mobo, but as mentioned b4 i'm having the popping issue as well. I have tried to check out all BIOS features and have.nt found anything allowing you to tweak the power management of it. I've also searched the online manual for a way but nothing.

The only way to play around with the advanced power management of these boards is through the 6-Gear control software for windows. Maybe if someone had it installed we could've realized if there's an option to control this component by software.

If this is really the issue we're talking about, there must be a way to do something similiar on Leopard.

Jonathan

P.S - i'm talking about a very similiar Gigabyte board. Only with support for DDR3 memory.

First off, thank you all for the work being put into this motherboard.

I have been able to install from patched disk distributions, but I really want a vanilla install seeing that it is possible. I have tried a couple times now following what I think is standard procedure:

1. Install Chameleon-EFI to retail partition

2. Open OSInstall.mpkg and install to retail partition

3. update to 10.5.5 using the netkas method

4. install ls8 v 12

5. copy additional kexts

I would be extremely greatful if someone could fill me in on the exact process used to install a vanilla osx.

I also recently read a thread that shows an asus p5q-e recognizing the ICH10 southbridge. Is this possible for the GA-EP45-DQ6 yet?

-Bassblu

P.S. The only version I could get audio working with is Kalyway 10.5.2

The exact procedure:

1/ install Leopard to the destination partition

2/ run 10.5.5 combo update

3/ install Chameleon=EFI

4/ run ls8v13 post-patch, with destination partition name as parameter

5/ reboot with -x boot option

6/ generate EFI strings, reboot again (without any boot options)

7/ regenerate Extensions.mkext (kextcache -a i386 -e)

8/ reboot again, you have fully working hackintosh

Time Machine works. I use it - but it is the same problem as with other boards: you have to choose between TM and bonjour. Setting up the EFI-string for the NIC makes bonjour unidirectional and you hackintosh can't be connected to from the network over afp.

Has anyone here tried using the patched IONetworkingFamily.kext to solve this problem ?

I am using the RealtekR1000.kext having bonjour fully working and I just put the attached IONetworkingFamily kext

into my /system/library/extensions and rebooted, now Time Machine works and bonjour bi-directional is working too.

B4 that I had the "backup volume could not be found" issue with TM.

Am I missing something. ?

(The kext is attached for anyone to try as-well)

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

The exact procedure:

1/ install Leopard to the destination partition

2/ run 10.5.5 combo update

3/ install Chameleon=EFI

4/ run ls8v13 post-patch, with destination partition name as parameter

5/ reboot with -x boot option

6/ generate EFI strings, reboot again (without any boot options)

7/ regenerate Extensions.mkext (kextcache -a i386 -e)

8/ reboot again, you have fully working hackintosh

Alright, I did the the method again with your ls8v13 and everything is working. I wish I knew how to help you with the audio popping. I will look into it when I get the time.

Thanks,

-Bassblu

@everyone having popping sounds:

I was thinking about the reason for the popping noises for some time now - I can't relly explain but I have an idea where this might come from: These boards we're talking about here have extended power management features. The EP45-DQ6 i.e. can switch off individual parts of the mobo while not in use - this also includes every single NIC and also the ALC889a chipset.

Because the popping only happens after a period of silence it seems to me like the noise results in "switching" the chipset back on. I'm not so much of an engineer, so I can only suggest this but I can't go further into it.

My hope was that anyone here knows how to check for this and perhaps gets an idea of the noises' cause.

--> popping sounds issue

I've been trying to investigate that issue a bit, and i think we're not looking at the right direction.

I do not think it is an issue of the "Dynamic Energy Saver" of gigabyte's technology as it only controls the CPU core's voltage regulators. This means it increases or decreases the CPU voltage according to the system's load. For anyone who's interested I've attached a few pages from a Gigabyte EP35-DS4 review that explains the technology pretty well(See Below).

So with that in mind, what is the direction to look at in in my opinion ?

I've searched again for some more info... and I found this blog post at TUAW:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/24/os-x-10-4-1...ps-to-some-macs

Seems like this problem (though an old one) looks very similar to our popping issue.

Their problem occurred with external speakers connected. one of the guys who commented said the following:

"It is because it shuts off the headphone jack when no sound is being played, then turns it back on when sound is being played."

So this brings me to believing that this issue lies maybe with the mapping of the Jacks. I'm not sure it is but it sure might be.

And it might also be just a version of the AppleHDA kext we use - Could be Apple's fault ;).

I really believe that together we can put this issue to rest...

I'd really appreciate you guys commenting on that, and hear your ideas for solving this annoying issue.

Jonathan

DES_in_Action___PART_1.pdf

DES_in_Action___PART_2.pdf

Ok.. I think I just proved my theory...

Since I also own a genuine macbook, I tried connecting its Line-Out to external speakers.

And there you go... After exactly 39 Seconds of silence the next time a sound is played there is this popping sound, Just about the same as on my hackintosh.

The popping is absent when it's a matter of the internal speakers.

So,,, Should we call Apple ? :blink:

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

my respect! Great news :)

I can't remember when the popping appeared the first time, but I think it was when switching to 10.5.0

Maybe there is a difference in the port-mapping between tiger and leopard. Or we could try using an old tiger applehda.kext.

And I think we should as well contact apple - when this happens with your mbp too they can help us solve our hackintosh issues ;-)

I will give it a try on my Mini and my MBP as well tonight...

====== EDIT ======

Apple about popping noise after sleep/wake/restart:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106569

The Apple Audio Update 2007-001 for 10.4.10 adressed this issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2032

sheep

Hey Jonathan,

my respect! Great news :)

I can't remember when the popping appeared the first time, but I think it was when switching to 10.5.0

Maybe there is a difference in the port-mapping between tiger and leopard. Or we could try using an old tiger applehda.kext.

And I think we should as well contact apple - when this happens with your mbp too they can help us solve our hackintosh issues ;-)

I will give it a try on my Mini and my MBP as well tonight...

====== EDIT ======

Apple about popping noise after sleep/wake/restart:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106569

The Apple Audio Update 2007-001 for 10.4.10 adressed this issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2032

sheep

I checked inside the installation package of the "Apple Audio Update" and indeed there is an AppleHDA.kext file in there.

I just don't understand how to patch it so it matches the ALC889A, and I don't know what's the difference between 10.5.5 kext we're using

and 10.4.10 from the package.

I tried to follow this topic that sensei730000 referred us to the other day, but I don't have a clue on what to do.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127227

Maybe sensei730000 could patch this one for us ?

Anyway, to whoever is interested in trying to patch the kext binary, here it is,

The Original 10.4.10 audio driver(No Audio popping on genuine apple macs):

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Sorry guys I cannot Help with this One... I moved to another kind of solution, by formating the efi partition, so I will have all Kext loaded before Leopard lunch itself, so I have a 100% unmodified leopard partition. I tested it by installing from 10.5.4 retail(via boot-132), after install I used apple software update to upgrade to 10.5.4 without ANY problem: here is a link to it--> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

Hi everyone,

I have a GA EP45 DS4P and was able to get audio working using the following method with a retail 10.5.4 install dvd

I followed tseug's guide for initial install and 10.5.5 update http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115877

Then i installed the kexts from this thread 889a.Audio.ICH10 using kexthelper b7 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=128577

Upon reboot I found ethernet wasn't working and used OSX86tools to reinstall realtek 8111b driver.

Everything seems ok although i haven't tried bonjour or time machine.

Good day

To those who would like to monitor your CPU temps within OSX in which all other methods fail e.g istat etc

I stumbled across this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6104252 post #567

Some people including myself have had sucess installing a free app called "Temperature Monitor" and then using a terminal command line crack to enable support for additional Intel CPU's

Here's what I did...

Download "Temperature Monitor" its free.

During installation if you use Intel CPU it will ask to install extra diagnostic apps - say yes to all.

Now close "Temperature Monitor" as It probably wont recognize your CPU yet, only your hard drives will show.

Do the terminal line crack "defaults write com.bresink.system.tempmonitor EnableCoreTempReadingsForCPU10670 1" without the "

Re-open "Temperature Monitor"

It will "now" recognize your Intel CPU

It will take a while to figure out how to get it to show your temps on your menu bar etc but just keep playing around and you'll get it.

So anyway it worked for my GA-EP45-DS3P and a Intel Q9550 Quad 2.83

Cheers

(Yes I realize my cores are not even... I may need to redo the thermal grease)

post-216342-1223633426_thumb.png

this is really strange for me , as I just ordered this so-called "most compatible" motherboard a Gigabyte -EP 45-DS 4

and now I see ...sound..ethernet not working - esata not working -Pro apps not working- weird pop sound ????

My 2 year old Asus P5-B has no problems at all with sound (kalway 10.5.2) in fact everything is working fine besides the second giga-ethernet ..

mmmhhhh.....whats happening there , if even skilled people as LS8 and sheeplover (nice !) have problems with sound on this board ...

just read one user doesn`t get FCPRO to work on this board

all Apple apps ..FCpro-Motion-DVDdstudiopro work smooth like silk on my Asus P5 -DLX

sorry ...I gonna throw this board out of the window if my first Gigabyte board after 6 years is only a "compatible hyped" garbage :-)

this is really strange for me , as I just ordered this so-called "most compatible" motherboard a Gigabyte -EP 45-DS 4

and now I see ...sound..ethernet not working - esata not working -Pro apps not working- weird pop sound ????

My 2 year old Asus P5-B has no problems at all with sound (kalway 10.5.2) in fact everything is working fine besides the second giga-ethernet ..

mmmhhhh.....whats happening there , if even skilled people as LS8 and sheeplover (nice !) have problems with sound on this board ...

just read one user doesn`t get FCPRO to work on this board

all Apple apps ..FCpro-Motion-DVDdstudiopro work smooth like silk on my Asus P5 -DLX

I gonna throw this board out of the window if my first Gigabyte board after years is only a "compatible hyped" garbage

FCPRO works fine if you remove qmaster

Ethernet works fine too

Hi everyone,

I have a GA EP45 DS4P and was able to get audio working using the following method with a retail 10.5.4 install dvd

I followed tseug's guide for initial install and 10.5.5 update http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115877

Then i installed the kexts from this thread 889a.Audio.ICH10 using kexthelper b7 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=128577

Upon reboot I found ethernet wasn't working and used OSX86tools to reinstall realtek 8111b driver.

Everything seems ok although i haven't tried bonjour or time machine.

Yesssssss !!! Zaphod Beeblebrox You are great...

Everyone here with popping issues hear this:

I just tried using the AppleHDA.kext that was in the thread Zaphod Beeblebrox linked here (See Quote) with my already installed HDAEnabler.kext(not ALCInject.kext).

And guess what ??? Audio works NO POPPING !!!! From what I understood in my research on the audio popping issue

It's an Apple's fault and not ours... It was first noticed on Tiger update to 10.4.10 and was fixed with an update.

Now after update to 10.5.5 mac users are complaining again about this popping issue. so the problem really was us using a 10.5.5 kext.

As it appears the kext I downloaded from the thread Zaphod Beeblebrox mentioned is older and thus does not have these issues.

So... To make things easier for whoever reads this and wants to put the "popping" issue to rest.

Here's the link to download the kext:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=35062

Again - I used this kext with HDAEnabler.kext and not ALCInject that is also in this package.

Many thanks goes to Zaphod Beeblebrox that shared the information with us, and i'm sure many thanks deserve to whoever patched this one originally.

There are side-effects though

With this kext there are much less Jacks/Ports discovered by the system.

There are only:

Speaker,

Microphone &

SPDIF - Out.

Though in system preferences--> Sound there is also:

Headphones and Line-Out for input.

Internal Microphone, and Line-In for input.

So, things are'nt perfect as always, but for me everything works and I can live with that for now.

Huray!!!

Jonathan

YOU ARE A GENIUS !!!

I can confirm yonikas approach to work 100%. Tried it with my GA-EP45-DQ6 as well as my GA-P35-DS4.

Just install the two kext manually or via kexthelper, reboot et voilà - no popping sound anymore!

@Jonathan: I added a link to your post to my signature ;-)

YOU ARE A GENIUS !!!

I can confirm yonikas approach to work 100%. Tried it with my GA-EP45-DQ6 as well as my GA-P35-DS4.

Just install the two kext manually or via kexthelper, reboot et voilà - no popping sound anymore!

@Jonathan: I added a link to your post to my signature ;-)

:(

Which distro of osx86 are you using?

I used Kalyway just to be able to install from a retail 10.5.0 disk. Then I updated the Netkas way (plus ls8v13) to 10.5.5. I have a fully working install now and thanks to the devotion of more experienced developers no popping audio!

Great Success on the Audio front

I can confirm the same audio fix also works for the GA-EP45-DS3P Board!

I swear the audio quality is also better :P

Also an unexpected side effect is now my QE is activated as soon as Leopard starts.

Normally it would wait until I open an application (upon reboot)

I can tell because the top Menu bar goes semi transparent when QE is enabled.

I cant really explain it but anyway my Hackintosh is 100% working now

Sleep, Restart, Shutdown, QE, CI, Sound, Firewire, LAN and even Temperature monitoring of my quad CPU.

I can now sell my Macbook Pro

Good times