Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6

sheeplover

332 posts in this topic

Hi, i need to ask a question: So far it seems nobody has compiled (to my knowledge) a EP45DQ6 boot132 cd iso (not usb).

I wanna do this but is it ok if i take some kext i've found around (like deruvian's and ls8's kexts) and compile them into a boot132 cd with slimbuild gui app? I mean does it work this way? Yeah i'll try myself but before destroying my almost working installation i may use som pro advice. Your input will be appreciated. Then i'll post the iso thru forum.

Thanks

My EP45-DQ6 froze again, running just fresh installation of 10.5.6, with no additional software, PCI ethernet and wifi cards removed. Both keyboard and mouse stopped working, no error message, windows on display just frozen, time in the top-right stopped counting.

I switched from EFI strings to NVdarwin 1.2.5, if this doesn't help I will switch the 8800GT graphics to my old 8600GT which works perfect in P35-DS4.

Same here, keyboard and mouse freezes right after booting into desktop until i unplug and replug them into another usb port. I don't know why this happen. Sometimes my gfx card (8800GTS 320MB -G80-) loses QE&CI ability upon booting, doesn't turn to normal unless i restart. Also i use 10.5.5 and NVdarwin 1.2.5

My EP45-DQ6 froze again, running just fresh installation of 10.5.6, with no additional software, PCI ethernet and wifi cards removed. Both keyboard and mouse stopped working, no error message, windows on display just frozen, time in the top-right stopped counting.

I switched from EFI strings to NVdarwin 1.2.5, if this doesn't help I will switch the 8800GT graphics to my old 8600GT which works perfect in P35-DS4.

Ok, I asked this question twice in the iPC 10.5.6 thread, but no one answered me there so I will ask the EP45-Dq6 gurus.

Anyone able to help me? I know I don't have many posts but have been working on/building pcs for 14 years now, just started entering the Osx86 word the last few months.

Nothing I can do seems to work and all my hardware is compatable. I have tried verbose mode, regular, and single user. Sometimes single user mode gets a little farther, but most of the time ends in the same

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x004358f3): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/VooDooKernal/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/Kernal/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1411

BIOS is set up as per other people with the same mobo has it, all hardware should be compatable, I just don't know how to get past this.

Any help any of you can give a begginer on this would be greatly apprecitaed.

GA-EP45-DQ6 - 2.83 quad core 2 - 8800 gtx - 500gb wd re3 hd (hfs+ formated) - 8gb corsair - LG SATA DVD-R

I have tried kalaway 10.5.2 which was the only release that worked on my laptop. Kalaway gets me all the way to the installer and crashes when at the final step before the install. I have been trying iPC 10.5.6 going to try retail install next, just had to pick up a copy. I read threw this entire thread before I purchased the board, I have seen the work you have done on this board.

Mactheworld77, is this in regards to my 8800gtx? I only have access to a 8800 gts at the moment. I have been trying to get the retail on disc, but it doesn't haven't had much luck. I burned what should be the disc but once I use boot 132 and swap disc, it keeps asking for the hex id of the boot device.

I thought it might have been the q9550 but other people don't seem to have any problems. I have read so much on this that its hard to remember it all, but I am determined to get this working.

...snip...

I have been trying to get the retail on disc, but it doesn't haven't had much luck. I burned what should be the disc but once I use boot 132 and swap disc, it keeps asking for the hex id of the boot device.

...snip...

You could always - er - buy the retail disk...

I have a q9450 and an 8800GT (albeit on a UD3P MB) and have no problem sleeping - have to wake from sleep with the power button, but works fine.

Patrick

I have found more reports about the same 8800GT problems:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1832945

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7043164

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/oct08/100208.html

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=896668

I'm gonna sell the card on eBay and choose another one. What is the best card for OSX86 today? I prefer a silent/passive cooler, my 8800gt has very quiet Zalman cooler. How about Gigabyte 9600GT 1024MB with passive cooler? Does it work well on a EP45-DQ6 hackintosh?

Hi People,

Just built my first wannabee hackintosh using the EP45-DQ6 motherboard. Got the Q9550 to go with it, as well as a gainward 9800gtx+. Should be alright so far, right? I'll admit to being an ignorant noob regarding all this, and I'm not even sure what to ask first. I've gotten my paws on a 10.5.4 retail disc, but using the grub-dfe boot disk, I can't get beyond the initial grey apple screen. I'd love to do a retail install, but am afraid that I'm missing some important BIOS setting, or otherwise the grub boot disc just isnt doing the trick. Did anyone ever come up with a cusom boot .iso for the DQ6??

I'll be trying the various non-retail distros, but from the sounds of it its hard getting it all to fit in that perfect way.

any hints whatsoever would be appreciated.

thanks

Edit: A few hours later, and its looking fine! I used iAtkos (spelling??) 5i and followed some directions from hereabouts using osx86tools and aquamacs efi string tutorials/driver installer so the graphics are loking good. QE is enabled, all looks smooth. Only thing that is left is the sound .. I'm a bit afraid to run LS8s script, is there a danger that it'll break my install?? Or should I go for it..

Edit 2: Yikes. I decided to run the LS8 script after backing up my install with time machine. On reboot I get repeating kernel panics. Oh shoot, I think, and restore the time machine backup thinking all is well. But no, the bootloader got lost somewhere in the process and I am forced to boot with a cd! Meanwhile I've solved the sound problem, but the damn thing won't boot from the hd! So I'm reinstalling .. at least one gets better with practice.

Edit 3: Alright, so after the new Nvidia & the sound drivers have been put in, iAtkos 5i works like a charm. Now I'd like to update to 10.5.6 ... but am afraid to go the software update route. How do I do it without busting my custom .kexts and genrally rendering the system useless? I've done a carbon copy clone to another drive for safety purposes, but I'd prefer some guidance on this. I wish I could explain and link the exact changes I made, but pretty much I stuck in a modifyied appleHDA.kext ( was it the older one from 10.4?? alc889a.zip, downloaded from somewhere on these here forums) that actually works on the DQ6 and added aquamacs Nvidia driver install v2, then added EFI strings manually for the 9800GTX (using osx86tools & nano editing the .plist somewhere cryptic). Can I put my modified .kexts and .plists somewhere where they wont be hurt by updates? THen I update, boot from the cloned partition, and copy my custom sound & graphics .kexts back into position? How do I proceeed....

On another note, I have an XP partition on one HD and OSX on another. Been switching between the two using BIOS settings, but thats a pain. Any ideas on simple botloader modifications that could fix this? Chameleon allows diferent partitions on the same HD, but not completely switching HDs. Or am I missing something...

thanks again

Same here, keyboard and mouse freezes right after booting into desktop until i unplug and replug them into another usb port. I don't know why this happen. Sometimes my gfx card (8800GTS 320MB -G80-) loses QE&CI ability upon booting, doesn't turn to normal unless i restart. Also i use 10.5.5 and NVdarwin 1.2.5

Hi Mega,

I have seen this USB issue intermittently and what it seems to be is the BIOS setting for legacy USB keybaord and mouse. If you enable legacy support, then you can use the keyboard and mouse after the POST screen and before the OS loads, as in if you want to press f8 to edit your boot options in darwin. However you will also sometimes lose keyboard/mouse support when first booting OS X. This happens because the BIOS does not 'hand off' the devices to the OS. As you noted you can simply replug the devices and they will work.

If you disable legacy support for USB keyboard and mouse, the BIOS hands off the devices and you will never have the OS X boot up problem with USB mouse and keyboard. However you will also lose keyboard in the pre-boot environment (darwin/bootloader) yet you will still have function during POST (entering BIOS, Q-Flash, etc).

So depending on how often you need keyboard during boot, it either makes sence to keep it enabled and sometimes have to re-plug the devices after boot OS X, or it will make more sense to disable legacy support and only enable before needing to enter the bootlaoder menu.

/g

Ok, I found what might be the problem. Having exhausting almost everything else, I decided to pull half the memory. Turns out 2 of the sticks are bad, I have to rma them. Back to the hackintosh drawing board.

EDIT: Yep, bad memory was messing up my install. Just installed iPC 10.5.6 vanilla install. Going to apply the ls-v14 files now.

Booting 10.5.6 from external USB disk (WD MyPassport 160GB) ends with kernel panic. There must be a problem with USB in 10.5.6, my GA-EP45-DQ6 sometimes crashes with kernel panic when I connect something to the USB port.

Update: with 9600GT (1024MB) booting 10.5.5 from external USB disk crashed with kernel panic. I have updated the USB disk to 10.5.6, now booting correctly.

I did full reinstall on my GA-EP45-DQ6, everything works:

1/ Retail DVD install 10.5.2

2/ Combo update 10.5.6

3/ Chameleon 1.0.11

4/ LS8v14

5/ generated EFI strings (GFX, ETH) - in fact I copied com.Apple.boot.plist from my previous install

Sleep works, and I can wake with mouse or keyboard!!! Previously I had to press the power button on my case to wake up!!!

I did not use any DSDT patch, any PM disabler, Chameleon 1.0.11 only (no PC_EFI v9).

DSDT patch was only needed for the betas of 10.5.6. The final (released) version does not need the patch.

Update: with 9600GT (1024MB) booting 10.5.5 from external USB disk crashed with kernel panic. I have updated the USB disk to 10.5.6, now booting correctly.

I'm changing to that same Gigabyte card (512MB version) but I'm wondering where did you get the EFI strings? My version of EFI studio doesn't list anything for the 96** series.

I created my own EFI strings for GFX and ethernet using gfxutil.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=222.0

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114349

Thanks! One question, I know how to create the EFI string for GFX and the one for ethernet, but I am not sure how to combine them into a single string for use in the com.apple.Boot.plist device-properties tag? Did you just concatenate the two strings?