Build a Perfect Mac for less than $250

780 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I know I haven't updated this Tutorial in a while, but its nice to see all the support.

I have now updated the tutorial with the 10.5.5 update. For first time installers you can jump directly from 10.5.2.

As soon as I get some more time to play, I will test and update with the 10.5.6 update method. I will also update the initial tutorial with various fixes posted in this thread.

Thanks guys,

MrFlooD, I think it is possible to go from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 by using the 10.5.6 combo update and the pre and post install patch that you use to 10.5.5. I'll will try it out later when I get time unless someone else wants to do it.

EDIT: Yup, checked it out. You can go straight from Kaly 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 with the 668MB combo update. Just apply the Biketown pre and post patches.

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon. I'm getting kernel panics when trying to mount disc images. Found Fix

wow we need a need guide posted or something. i just got a duel core atom mobo with the cpu. i got a IDE dvd burner and Sata hard drive. i burned the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and it was verified well and have messed with lots of the customize settings but non of them work. when i go to click install it says Istall Failed. Mac os x could not be installed on our computer. the installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install.

any suggestions? i guess ill download and try iatkos 5.1

wow we need a need guide posted or something. i just got a duel core atom mobo with the cpu. i got a IDE dvd burner and Sata hard drive. i burned the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and it was verified well and have messed with lots of the customize settings but non of them work. when i go to click install it says Istall Failed. Mac os x could not be installed on our computer. the installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install.

Dual Core Atom

Vanilla Kernel works perfect.

Try MSIwindOSX86

it works great with the intel Atom boards, and I upgraded from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 from software update.

does anyone know if the newer version of the intel mobo would work with the atom 330

this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813121359

this one says it supports hyper threading as the other one doesnt =O

If you go through the thread here, you'll find LOTS of discussion D945GCLF2. In short, yes it works.

If you want more information, read through the pages in the thread.

I'm Glad to report that I have successfully installed OS X 10.5.5 on this build using Mr. Flood's tutorial and the Biketown method somewhat successfully. Im having a couple of problems first i can only boot using the -x. The gma kexts seem to be working but I have to set the resolution every time I log off or restart. If I don't use the -x flag to boot I get the black screen of death after the grey apple screen. The onboard audio and an external usb sound card don't work after 10.5.5 upgrade. Will upgrading to 10.5.6 fix these problems or should I hold off upgrading until 10.5.6 is more mature?

-Edit Btw I'm posting this from my new Hack Mini!

I was going to use the PicoPSU 90W, seems like an excellent fit for this build, but now I read a thread on ubuntuforums about sleep issues (Unable to use suspend-to-RAM).

Apparently the later produced units have had a capacitor changed. Anyone had similar problems?

quoting from the thread at Ububtu Forums: Suspend to RAM

"There was a modification made in August to increase compatibility with some boards. You can tell if your PSU is one of the upgraded units by finding C4 on the board (same side as the HD power output header, directly beneath it between 2 x ICs)......

Pull the PicoPSU off the motherboard and then remove the output lead that goes to the hard disks. Directly beneath the white connector you'll see two black squares (ICs) with two components between them. Below one of these components you should see 'C4' in white print on the board. If the component labelled C4 is level or slightly proud of the height of the ICs then it's the modified version and should work. If C4 is lower than the height of the ICs then it's unmodified......Problem was fixed in Aug by installing a 0.1uF on top of C4.

Hello.

I just wanted to report a successful install on a D945GCLF2 using boot_132 and a retail disk. I have only updated to 10.5.5, because it works fine and I didn't want to mess with the DSDT business yet. There is another thread that I found after lurking on this one for a week, it is specifically for installing boot_132 on the D945GCLF2. The OP of the thread has put together a nice package of all the kexts and tools that you need to do the install, though I ran into a few issues. I did get it to work, however. Check out that thread HERE

I just came across an interesting article, reviewing a high-end HTPC computer that uses the D945GCLF2 mobo/cpu combo.

It has some HD video playback tests that may be of some interest to folks here, starting on page 4 of the article.

Check out the article, HERE

The reason I found this, is because I was looking for info about cooling solutions for the HackBox MediaServer that I just built. I am getting CPU temps of 54 degrees C at idle with the top of the case on, and 51 degrees with it off. I haven't even tried to put any kind of a load on it, as the idle temps are way too freakin' high to begin with. BTW, this is all housed in an Apex MI-008 case.

Here's my plan to reduce the temps:

~I am looking for a replacement copper heatsink. If anyone can point me to one that will work with this and is low-profile, please let me know.

~I want one of the Scythe "Mini Kaze" fans suggested earlier in this thread, as the stock one sound like there is a miniature Harley climbing a hill inside the case.

~I will put in a PCI slot fan.

~The side hard drive slot is right in front of the hottest part of the board. Bad idea. I've got two 1Tb drives in the case; one in the 3 1/2" floppy bay, and the other in the side HDD bay. I am going to get a 5 1/4" bay to 3 1/2" HDD adapter, and move the side HDD to the optical drive bay. This will allow more airflow across the board.

~Last but not least, I will use some Arctic Silver 5 to attach whatever heatsink I can find.

The temp issue is the last hurdle that I really need to cross to make this an ideal Media Server. I am using a Mac Mini as a front end, but I think this box would also make an OK front end (well, unless you want 1080p) If the noise issue can be addressed.

~Argh

hey everyone ive got a quick question about shutdown...ever since upgrading to 10.5.5 my system now hangs on shutdown..it never used to do this...sleep, restart log out etc all work great...has anyone else encountered anything like this or know how to fix it??...i have the first D945GCLF with one core...any help would be grat thanx

-*edit- i was able to fix the issue by deleting finder.plist in my library home folder

has any1 done a retail install on this board with mbr on a external drive n got it workin??? cant manage to select the empty drive and the retail disc asks me to format to guid.... am i doing something wrong???? ... im doing a install from my current system running leopard 10.5.5

Hey Everyone,

I know I haven't updated this Tutorial in a while, but its nice to see all the support.

I have now updated the tutorial with the 10.5.5 update. For first time installers you can jump directly from 10.5.2.

I'm not sure I understand. The 10.5.5 method talks about pre- and post-install patches.

There are no such patches here: http://mysticus.titanous.com/update.html

Do these patches still exist somewhere?

Nevermind, I found them here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132462

So I see the mac-mini (intel) xbench at ~100. And the D945GCLF @ ~50. What about the D945GCLF2?

I'm looking to build a baby dev box for some iphone stuff and would like to know if the /2 will have enough horsepower. If not, what system can I build for <$200? (I only need MB, processor, RAM and video)

<edit>

nevermind, I ordered the 2 motherboard and RAM from newegg, three day shipping. thrilled to be trying this out.

</edit>

TIA

So don't know if this has been posted or not... but the problem with the reboot not working has to do with mach kernel.

The voodoo kernel by the XNU Dev team has great support for the intel Atom (not sure if it works with speedstep) but that fixes that specific problem of the reboot hanging and has overall better stability (at least from what I've noticed from running the kernel this machine with the previous kernel and the voodoo kernel).

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

Enjoy!

has any1 done a retail install on this board with mbr on a external drive n got it workin??? cant manage to select the empty drive and the retail disc asks me to format to guid.... am i doing something wrong???? ... im doing a install from my current system running leopard 10.5.5

Have you modified your Install.mpkg? If not, I believe installing on an mbr drive is not allowed by the Leopard installer....