Build a Perfect Mac for less than $250

780 posts in this topic

yeah peejay thanx alot.. i found that thread too to mod the installer.. will give it a shot.. right now running guid with a leopard bootable in dvd drive to boot to desktop... works fine.. fully upgraded to 10.5.6 . n all current updates as of today, doing some tests for a bud.. once done well see a very simple install pack for the atom boards. :)

yeah peejay thanx alot.. i found that thread too to mod the installer.. will give it a shot.. right now running guid with a leopard bootable in dvd drive to boot to desktop... works fine.. fully upgraded to 10.5.6 . n all current updates as of today, doing some tests for a bud.. once done well see a very simple install pack for the atom boards. :D

dude, a safe and easy upgrade from kalyway/biketown 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Yup, this is probably the easiest way to get to 10.5.5. Just install Kalyway 10.5.2 as normal. Once at the desktop, install "Prepare for Combo Update.pkg" then install the OS X 10.5.5 Combo Update, then install "Post Combo Update Patches.mpkg".

I selected the following

Kernel: 9.4.0 StageXNU Kernel

Chipset: Just Restore my Chipset Drivers

Video: Intel, GMA 950 and X3100, 950 Desktop

Audio: Just Restore Audio

Network: Just Restore Network

System Functions: Apple ACPI

Works like a charm. No need to update to 10.5.3, then 10.5.4 only to have to update once more to 10.5.5.

I assume this is the biketown method from 5.2 to 5.5 just as described from our friend H8TR, so only find the proper files, right?

The biketown page shows a 10.5.6 update but I guess it´s not that stable yet for this mobo, or can it be done from 5.2 to 5.6?

Thanks guys.

I assume this is the biketown method from 5.2 to 5.5 just as described from our friend H8TR, so only find the proper files, right?

The biketown page shows a 10.5.6 update but I guess it´s not that stable yet for this mobo, or can it be done from 5.2 to 5.6?

Thanks guys.

Yeah, it can be done from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6. Its the same method from going to 10.5.2 to 10.5.5.

Hello guys!

I got my system ready to install, same system, the motherboard is very similar but its not the same, the only difference is I can put the processor I want, it come with a case. But my case cannot have any DVD on it so I buy a external USB-DVD.

But I got a problem and I don't know if its related to the USB-DVD or the DVD I burned (with NERO and MagicISO) with Kalyway 10.5.2.

It say on the boot something like "apple.Boot.plist" not found. I try to find a solution, but so far no success. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!! :)

post-341377-1230992590_thumb.jpg

For my problem related to Boot.plist not found, I tried BOOT-123 without success, when I am in the boot command: I type -v -x, Change the CD for the OSX Kalyway DVD then ENTER, after that I see a screen asking me "Enter two-digit hexa boot device", I type enter and the screen return back to the boot command and nothing append?

What I am doing wrong?

My system is:

Intel 945GC + ICH7

2G DDR2

SATA 500GB

Pentium Dual Core Processor

UPDATE: I try the Chameleon patch over my Kalyway and now I got the same error with "SLIST" instead of "PLIST".

I also try the iDeneb 10.5.5 version, I got the "SLIST" error.

What should I do to be able to install the OS!! Is the problem are related to my USB-DVD? or bios settings?

Thank you to the people who have put so much work into this. Even with 5 years of installing and using different linux distros, including gentoo, the learning curve for osx86 would have been impossible for me.

Question One. Is the method described in the first post in this thread still a good way to proceed. It fits me to a T, so I am just checking to make sure.

Question Two. Using the Intel D945GCLF mobo from this method, would it be possible to use a different osx86 distro? I have already downloaded iDeneb 10.5.5, which took almost a day, so if it would work that would save me some hassle.

Thanks.

I am completely blown away by the size and price. I was in the process of dumping and old B&W G3. But now I think its time for a nice mac server. The Atom system can run circles around the Droboshare I was looking at for my drobo and does it cheaper. I have to wait a few days to order the board and processor new egg is out and so are a lot of other places (I am going with the dual core version) Follow the progress

Added bonus, if you re task a dead mac case doesn't that make the system legal with EULA since it is an apple manufactured computer we are just upgrading "parts"

Added bonus, if you re task a dead mac case doesn't that make the system legal with EULA since it is an apple manufactured computer we are just upgrading "parts"

Haha, I had a similar thought, because I installed OS X in my media server on a spare laptop drive that came out of a Macbook Pro that I recently bought and upgraded the hdd in. It has the little Apple logo right on it. Not that I'm losing sleep over the EULA or anything.

I am completely blown away by the size and price. I was in the process of dumping and old B&W G3. But now I think its time for a nice mac server. The Atom system can run circles around the Droboshare I was looking at for my drobo and does it cheaper. I have to wait a few days to order the board and processor new egg is out and so are a lot of other places (I am going with the dual core version) Follow the progress

The same thought occurred to me as I put this board in a G4 cube. It is an "Apple Branded Computer". I'd like to think that our justice system would see through that and interpret the spirit of the law, rather than the letter, but if not I'd say it's a nice little loophold.

Regarding the Droboshare question, I'm putting together an atom based NAS and it looks like it's going to come in a Good 50-60% cheaper. I don't know if I'm going to run OS X on it or not, but it's hard to go wrong with this board!

What I am doing wrong?

How far do you get? do you get as far as the install requiring to choose a partition?

I had a similar problem with another setup trying to use an ide dvdrom, it never recognized it, replaced it with a sata dvdrom and the system booted from the dvd.

Greetings, thanks for the tutorial, works great currently on 10.5.2. Wanting to upgrade to 10.5, however as I understand, I require Biketowns pre and post patches before the 10.5.5 combo update...where are Biketowns patches? thanks.

Greetings, thanks for the tutorial, works great currently on 10.5.2. Wanting to upgrade to 10.5, however as I understand, I require Biketowns pre and post patches before the 10.5.5 combo update...where are Biketowns patches? thanks.

I don't know why, but every few days the link to the patches disappears from the "BIKETOWN" page.

There is a link to the patches in the first post of this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132462

Okay ive installed it on the atom 330, the dual core version, ive seen some perfomance issiues with the gma, but they are easy to work around, for miniminze to let it get flawless, put the dock to the left, but overall everthing works exspect indeed mic, but i just updated via the update tool so it can be that i dont get in mac anymore, i will inform you guys then.

Either way i didnt get that site where we needed to download something, but install process went well, now i a wonderingen how i could best dual boot with Linux.

strange sleep problem

I'm having a strange issue with sleep on this board. I can put it to sleep for very short periods - a few minutes - and it wakes up fine. However, if I let it sleep for more than a few minutes, it reboots upon waking up from sleep. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm running 10.5.5 via the kalyway 10.5.2->BIKETOWN->10.5.5 method on the first post.

Well after trying a number of distros/updates and a lot of trial and error, I've found the easiest way to get Leopard working 100% on the D945GCLF. This method goes right to 10.5.6 with 100% working graphics and no mouse tearing - PLUS it enables the input for the onboard sound card.

First, get the iPC 10.5.6 beta distro. Follow the instructions with the distro to select kernels and other files including just the drivers for the hardware being used. For the D945GCLF, that's the GMA950 video, the Intel ICHx chipset, ALC662 sound and RTL1000 network. Also be sure to install the kext helper add-on from the install DVD.

After the install finishes go here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143340

Download the V4 drivers from the first post and then download this DSDT file: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=42573

Install the kexts and put the DSDT file in the root. Reboot.

A BIG thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - it's absolutely amazing to see how far this project has come!