Build a Perfect Mac for less than $250

780 posts in this topic

Just to add an easy way to install:

I used the iDeneb 10.5.5 DVD and chose the GMA950 and ICH extensions and the Azalia Audio in the setup. Everything works, but the mouse has flickering problems. These can be solved by replacing the AppleIntegratedFramework.kext with the one you can find 3 or 4 pages before this post. Everything else seems to work nicely.

Using the AppleintegratedFramework.kext from page 26 works fine except when coming out of sleep mode in S3 the display never comes back, and sleep mode with S1 the display returns but is usually the wrong resolution such as 640x480. Anyone know a sleep fix?

I used the iDeneb 10.5.5 DVD and chose the GMA950 and ICH extensions and the Azalia Audio in the setup. Everything works, but the mouse has flickering problems. These can be solved by replacing the AppleIntegratedFramework.kext with the one you can find 3 or 4 pages before this post. Everything else seems to work nicely.

But also resolution works? I need 1440x900... Now I download ideneb...

Sergej

Well, it has only 1400x1050 in the list (in the 1400x range), but that may be just because my monitor will not do 1440x900).

And you are right, sleep does not work. I had not tested it, sorry. I have no shutdown or reboot issues, though.

post-317843-1226311797_thumb.png :):D:D

It works for me

Mainboard

Intel D945GCLF2 & Atom 330

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Create two or more partition for Mac (e.g. Mac1, Mac2, Mac3..)

Install Kalaway 10.5.2 without any customization on partition Mac1

Reboot and Copy Mac1 to the second Mac2 partition (e.g. Use Carbon Copy Cloner from hxxp://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html )

Reboot in Mac2

Download :

Osx86tools

MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.5.dmg

Install MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.5.dmg from Mac2 to Mac1

Go from Mac2 to Mac1 and delete AppleIntelCpuPowermanagment.kext

Start Osx86tools from Mac2 and extract listed kexts (all posted already in the same or different topics; THANKS & Credits to all posters ) to Mac1

AppleHDA.kext

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleUSBEthernet.kext

AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext

ClamshellDisplay.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

IOStorageFamily.kext

IOStorageFamily.kext

Natit.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PowerManagement.bundle

SMBIOSResolver.kext

Do not insert :

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plug in (didn't work in my case, I'v got black screen :) )

Reboot to Mac1. Change resolution (in my case 1920x1200) . :D

Sleep works. :D

Regards

Mirso

:D

I finally got mine working last night. I don't know if it was the drive or the bus, but I couldn't get it installed and reliably working on a PATA drive. I got a cheap used SATA and am turning the machine over to my wife to see if it works for her as soon as I get all of her stuff moved over to the new machine...

I copied over the AppleIntelIntegratedSomethingSomething.kext which opened up the monitor resolutions. I will report more as I go.

i just upgraded my system to 10.5.5 using biketowns method.. fairly easy to follow & i went from / mrfloods method 10.5.2 ----> biketowns method 10.5.5 ... didnt bother upgrading to 10.5.3 / 5.4 and its worked out just fine for me... everything works. thanx to everyone on this forum ;)

i just upgraded my system to 10.5.5 using biketowns method.. fairly easy to follow & i went from / mrfloods method 10.5.2 ----> biketowns method 10.5.5 ... didnt bother upgrading to 10.5.3 / 5.4 and its worked out just fine for me... everything works. thanx to everyone on this forum :D

I get a kernel panic when I try and connect using Screen Sharing, which is a dealbreaker as I want to run this box as a headless home server.

Anyone seen this or suggest a fix?

Ric

I've got my father on the phone, and he told me that they had a problem with their Atom motherboard running OS X 10.5.3 (Kalyway).

It doesn't seem to mount USB drives or flash drives when it's turned on, but when you reboot it appears at the desktop.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps this thread could benefit from a recap of the best steps to install OSx86 with this motherboard based on everything that's been learned since page 1.

I'm also curious about getting it to work using the boot132 method. It seems to me that obtaining only the necessary kexts on a CD or memory stick along with a retail DVD is a better approach than DVD-size OSx86 distributions.

I've got my father on the phone, and he told me that they had a problem with their Atom motherboard running OS X 10.5.3 (Kalyway).

It doesn't seem to mount USB drives or flash drives when it's turned on, but when you reboot it appears at the desktop.

Any suggestions?

That issue is due to the kernal mismatching your OSX version, update to 10.5.5 biketown method will likely fix it.

Perhaps this thread could benefit from a recap of the best steps to install OSx86 with this motherboard based on everything that's been learned since page 1.

I'm also curious about getting it to work using the boot132 method. It seems to me that obtaining only the necessary kexts on a CD or memory stick along with a retail DVD is a better approach than DVD-size OSx86 distributions.

I have been messing with the Boot 123 method using the Atom 330 board for a few weeks now, the only real issues is 1) Intel GMA950 and 2) sound

Sound works with the basic azalia package but it has to be installed, I havent figured out how to make it work in the "extra/extensions" folder yet

GMA950 needs the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext found on page 26 of this thread, installed with Kext Helper, thus it gets removed everytime you run apple update. Cant figure out how to make it work in the "extra/extensions" folder for boot 123.

I used the original.iso instead of generic.iso

It may be my projector, but what could cause a lack of video signal on waking from sleep? It worked fine (I think) when connected to a regular monitor, but not on the projector. I'm pretty sure it's waking ok, as I hear the hard drive spin up, but no video signal coming out. Any ideas?

Succeeded in getting this baby running 10.5.5 retail and it works pretty well.

One thing I'm still looking to resolve is the S-Video out port?

Did anyone get the S-Video out to work? The HCL says it works using the default Leopard kexts, but that doesn't work for me.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks in advance. And if you have any questions, shoot!

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on this build and I have a couple questions. I have already read through this thread, but it is 30 pages, so please forgive me if I repeat anything. I'm also using the D945GCLF2 board, although I haven't found that that makes a difference.

My question is that the install instructions say not to modify anything except for picking the time machine fix. This would mean that the sleep kernel is selected and not vanilla kernel for the install. Which am I actually supposed to install according to the instructions? I have tried both and I have issues with restart/shutdown with the vanilla kernel. Sleep kernel seems to work flawlessly so far. System Profiler also recognizes more information with sleep kernel. I think regardless of the instructions I'll stick with sleep kernel for a more functional machine. What I need to know is if I can do software updates for OSX, or if I'll have to do them manually. According to the guide you can do it, but I don't know if it is intended for us to use sleep or vanilla option in the installer.

Thanks for your help!

My question is that the install instructions say not to modify anything except for picking the time machine fix. This would mean that the sleep kernel is selected and not vanilla kernel for the install. Which am I actually supposed to install according to the instructions? I have tried both and I have issues with restart/shutdown with the vanilla kernel. Sleep kernel seems to work flawlessly so far. System Profiler also recognizes more information with sleep kernel. I think regardless of the instructions I'll stick with sleep kernel for a more functional machine. What I need to know is if I can do software updates for OSX, or if I'll have to do them manually. According to the guide you can do it, but I don't know if it is intended for us to use sleep or vanilla option in the installer.

I have the D945GCLF (not dual-core D945GCLF2).

I tried the vanilla kernel at first, but ran into trouble installing. Installation went fine once I selected the sleep kernel as per the instructions, but, while the processor is recognized as an Intel chip, hyperthreading is not available. Auto-updating to 10.5.5 børked my install and I had to start over.

Upgrading to 10.5.5 with the "bike town" method instead worked great, and seems to have changed my kernel away from the sleep kernel. Hyperthreading now works, but the processor is seen as a generic 4GHz instead of Intel brand. Restarting is also hiccupy now, but everything else (sound, network, sleep) is fine.

I'm curious as well if anyone else who is now running 10.5.5 has tried automatic updates and had success. My build is currently extremely stable (except for reboot hiccupping) and I'd rather not attempt updating further without hearing some other experience.

I have the D945GCLF (not dual-core D945GCLF2).

I tried the vanilla kernel at first, but ran into trouble installing. Installation went fine once I selected the sleep kernel as per the instructions, but, while the processor is recognized as an Intel chip, hyperthreading is not available. Auto-updating to 10.5.5 børked my install and I had to start over.

Upgrading to 10.5.5 with the "bike town" method instead worked great, and seems to have changed my kernel away from the sleep kernel. Hyperthreading now works, but the processor is seen as a generic 4GHz instead of Intel brand. Restarting is also hiccupy now, but everything else (sound, network, sleep) is fine.

I'm curious as well if anyone else who is now running 10.5.5 has tried automatic updates and had success. My build is currently extremely stable (except for reboot hiccupping) and I'd rather not attempt updating further without hearing some other experience.

I have the D945GCLF and stick with 10.5.4, tried 5 but no way.

still few issue:

- usb devices hot swap/connection doesn't work

- even with 945 k installed just 1 possible resolution available

I'm investigating the market to found a heatpipe or similar to replace the noisy NB fan...

I´m running my rig (singlecore version mobo) on Kalys Leo 10.5.1 and it runs really good. Did a little testing with the grahpics fix from this thread and the same kexts from my 10.5.5 quadcore rig but it did´nt work. With a clean Kalys 10.5.1 I´ve got QE and QGL I also have shutdown and sleep.

I built it to see if it could match my mac mini. The picture quality I get when I connect it to my flatscreen TV (37 i) and play DVDs is well it´s ok but not as good as I get from my mini. The quality and resoloutin I get just running it as a computer using using my TV is actually really good beats my mini pretty easy. Man was I amazed when I got full screen first time I fired it up connected to my TV.

No, that's a MicroATX motherboard requiring a Socket 775 processor.

The board for this project is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=3883686

but TigerDirect doesn't currently have them. Look at NewEgg or other online retailers

Patrick

I got this board yesterday and I installed kalyway 10.5.2 and everything went on smooth, no mouse tear and everything looks to be normal. My restart seems to be working after patching 10.5.5 using biketown method. I selected 9.5.0 Vanilla that comes with the shutdown and restart fix.

Everything is perfect, the casing size is perfect, OSX86 is perfect but I only have one small little complain over the performance. I downloaded one 720p HD trailer from Apple and I ran it using quicktime, it seems to be a little sluggish between some frames. I did some further testing to edit RAW photo using Aperture 2, I am not impress with the performance.

Might consider to sell this board off and opt for a better performance processor to keep up with my tasks.