Long-time Lurker/Lingerer, First-Time Poster.
I just finished reading ALL 31 pages ... I did doze off a bit in the middle, bibendum, so I'm sure I'll ask a question already listed.
I'm taking the dive ... I just bought my "kit" ... I didn't quite make it under the $250 mark, but I did choose the more expensive motherboard and a wireless adapter. I suspect I could have saved a bit of money by shopping around, but I've had good luck with NewEgg in the past, so I took the lazy way out and bought everything from them.
1. APEX MI-100 Black / Silver Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
2. Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
3. Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5/2G
4. Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
5. LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04
6. ASUS WL-138g V2 PCI Wireless Adapter
Grand Total (including shipping): $257.39
Hopefully, it'll arrive by next weekend.