Build a Perfect Mac for less than $250

780 posts in this topic

MrFlooD, Thanks again for a great set of instructions. I replaced an Asus P2B with a Celeron 1.4GHz(!) with the Atom board and everything else (DVD burner, 80GB drive, etc.), all hooked right up and it was great fun to see Mac OSX86 boot. The graphics update worked perfectly also.

There were two anomalies after the successful(?) update to 10.5.5. 1) About this Mac now reports a "4GHz Unknown" processor, after identifying it as 1.6GHZ Core Solo in 10.5.2. 2), Safari 3.2 still would not install, claiming that it needed "10.5.5 and security updates" in order to install. If these anomalies ring a bell with anyone who could refer me to the necessary information I would be appreciative.

Even after 5 years of Linux, including installing and maintaining Gentoo, there would have still been too hard a learning curve for me to do this without your help.

Jetway JNC92 1.6GHz Atom Expandable Mini-ITX Board (Low Profile Heatsink)

Jetway JNC92 Mini-ITX board with brand new low power consumption 45nm Intel Atom 230 processor running at 1.6GHz included. Intel 82945G (ICH7) chipset and GMA 950 graphics. Up to 2GB of DDR2 533/667MHz RAM supported; Realtek High Definition Audio; Supports Jetway daughterboard modules.

The JNC92 is expandable, supporting standard Jetway daughterboard modules (e.g 3x Gigabit LAN or Mini-PCI); The built-in LAN port is Gigabit Ethernet; The Parallel port is header only.

Opinons, guys? I'm a noob but would the install process be the same as for the Intel board? The board is more expensive too, are the extra features worth it do you think?

Thanks.

The Jetway board above is also available with the newer 330 Atom, model number: NC92-330-LF

I've also just found a new board by Aopen: i945GCt-DN

Provides one PCI-Express x1 and one mini Card slots for function extension.

Provides three SATA 2.0 connectors for internal hard disk or optical drive.Provides eight USB 2.0 ports for easy connect to must peripherals. (On board x4, Rear panel x4)

Not bad eh?

newbie here, read through the whole thread and then some. thanks to all - got 10.5.2 running on the atom 330 setup with the fixed video kexts. what i haven't been able to get work are my usb ports. they show up in the system profiler and when i plug in a usb drive it's clear they're getting power, but nothing shows up on the desktop.

can anyone provide any advice? thanks in advance

newbie here, read through the whole thread and then some. thanks to all - got 10.5.2 running on the atom 330 setup with the fixed video kexts. what i haven't been able to get work are my usb ports. they show up in the system profiler and when i plug in a usb drive it's clear they're getting power, but nothing shows up on the desktop.

can anyone provide any advice? thanks in advance

Check out USB problems. My problem seemed to be non-matching kernel and system kext. My kernel was 9.2.0, but system kext was 9.2.2. After changing system kext to 9.2.0, they worked on my $250 Hac. I did a laptop install and I did this, but USB devices aren't recognized if plugged in when it boots. What kernel version and system kext version are you using?

Jetway JNC92 1.6GHz Atom Expandable Mini-ITX Board (Low Profile Heatsink)

Opinons, guys? I'm a noob but would the install process be the same as for the Intel board? The board is more expensive too, are the extra features worth it do you think?

Thanks.

Seems to have the same features as the intel board so it should work, the thread is about keeping it under the $ 250 range but the built in dc-dc converter is a plus so you can save on the psu, specially if it's a pico psu.

:D

Anyone have issues with DVD drives after wakeup from sleep? My Lite-On drive sounds like its looking for a disc constantly untill I restart my machine? Currently I have 10.5.6 retail installed but I have also used Kalaway 10.5.2.

i have this same exact problem!! its really anoying,,im not sure exactly if its the dvd drive but something is moving prolly is dvd...but if anyone knows how to fix this it would be great..im on 10.5.5 via biketown ty

Well after trying a number of distros/updates and a lot of trial and error, I've found the easiest way to get Leopard working 100% on the D945GCLF. This method goes right to 10.5.6 with 100% working graphics and no mouse tearing - PLUS it enables the input for the onboard sound card.

First, get the iPC 10.5.6 beta distro. Follow the instructions with the distro to select kernels and other files including just the drivers for the hardware being used. For the D945GCLF, that's the GMA950 video, the Intel ICHx chipset, ALC662 sound and RTL1000 network. Also be sure to install the kext helper add-on from the install DVD.

After the install finishes go here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143340

Download the V4 drivers from the first post and then download this DSDT file: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=42573

Install the kexts and put the DSDT file in the root. Reboot.

A BIG thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - it's absolutely amazing to see how far this project has come!

Thanks. But what meens "and put the DSDT file in the root"? I need to put it in the root dir? Without any actions? Or what?

Unlucky ;)

Only -x safe mode can boot. In normal mode it crashes ;)

GMA950 works with path installed from CD. No Quartz :D I try to install GMA950_V4.zip but seemed it made no changes :( I put the DSDT in the root. And reboot. Unlucky :(

Please help me. I'm very tired of installing Hackintosh :(

Unlucky :)

Only -x safe mode can boot. In normal mode it crashes :D

GMA950 works with path installed from CD. No Quartz :( I try to install GMA950_V4.zip but seemed it made no changes :( I put the DSDT in the root. And reboot. Unlucky :(

Please help me. I'm very tired of installing Hackintosh :(

You are using the dsdt.aml file that you made with dsdt patcher tool, correct?

I just saw that you are installing on the D945GCLF and not the D945GCLF2. I was going to suggest doing a boot-132, but I can't help you with a step by step boot-132 on your board, because I don't know what's different with it.

I still think boot-132 is the cleanest and most straight forward way to go.

no, how can I do this? I just download zip with 2 files named DSDT and copy it in root dir.

Well, that would explain why its not working.

You need to run DSDT patcher tool. I don't know if that's what you downloaded, but you need to create your own file with the tool, which will be called 'dsdt.aml'. Put that in your root folder.

Edit: Hmmm... I just looked at the file that you are downloading, and it is a dsdt.aml file. I guess I don't know the whole story about what you're trying to accomplish, but usually, you would use a file that was created specifically for your computer. I'm not really familiar with whatever method RichP is using, so I'm afraid I can't be much help. If that's not working, I would download the Patcher Tool from HERE and try creating your own file.

Wait, you were putting the files themselves in the root, and not the zip, right? If not, then try putting just the files in there, after you unzip them.

Hey I just wanted to say thanks to Mr.Flood. I just built my sister one of these and it works fantastic. I am getting ready to build one for myself! Let my daughter have my I-Mac 17" G-4 and use the new build. The Atom is pretty fast for surfing and watching videos. When I am leeching and seeding from torrent sites it runs a lot slower but that is probably just my internet bogging down. Other than that I am really happy. I'm still running 10.5.2 because I couldn't get the download for the 10.5.5 update from biketown. I think since it works great I will keep it like it is for now. My sleep will sleep but the computer won't wake so I just don't use sleep. The PS-2 ports works for the keyboard and mouse. I updated everything except for the actual OSX itself and everything works great. I have a PCI modem installed because my sister has dial-up and the computer doesn't recognize it so I just bought an apple usb modem off ebay for it. Oh and the graphic's fix worked great! Sweet little machine! Thanks again!

so i cant get my hackintosh to play 720p ,mkv files.. they play but are very sluggish. Is this because Im using a VGA connector to my 26 inch monitor? they play other .avi files just fine. Wondering if its the onboard video card that is lacking or if i should get a pci-video card or not.

or anybody have suggestions on how to get better video playback? i use VLC player

Your macbook has a much faster processor. The on board video is the problem with these Atom boards. they are just not up to handling high-def video.

And because of the limitations of the PCI connector I am led to believe a PCI video card would not help matters much (at least that seems to be the consensus on this thread. If you have a spare PCI video card laying around your are more than welcome to try it out and get back to us.)

You can always try Plex on your hackintosh, at least to me it seems to handle 720 better than VLC.

I got my D945GCLF2 up and running.

Graphics are perfect, USB works fine, restart/shutdown/sleep are good, updated to 10.5.6 using combo update before installing kexts.

I installed all kexts in the DFCLF2 packgae including azalia, and everything BUT audio works.

I can't figure out why. Does anyone have any possible next steps for me?