OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

Hi, I managed to installed on my advent but can't seem to load the kext for the GMA950.

I tried kext helper b7 and load Natit.kext no luck, I would get:

Kernel Extension Info: No kext Loaded

Tried manually via Terminal then still no luck so I tried "boot" with option "-s" from that Here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83479

I have no idea what else I can do.

I am right now using the update 10.5.4 from Apple.

Thanks for any help. :(

Do you install all the kext files included in the .zip? All 3 are necessary for it to work.... Just checking the obvious as there isn't much else I could recommend to help.

Were you able to get the GMA 950 working in 10.5.2 or 10.5.3?

Works for me - I plugged in a 15" LCD at work today, and was able to span across the internal and external screens, with independent resolutions on each.

Odd, I get extreme screen corruption on both screens when I plug in.

22" screen mind...

P

Lol, I was only trying to install one file Natit.kext, totally forgot about the rest, Thanks a million Meteparozzi.

I should have listen to the missus who wants me to leave my toy alone. Thx again :-)

Well, everything is up and running. 10.5.4. A little strange though. Before I had a battery monitor on 10.5.2 and now I don't. Not sure how that happened, but I don't know how to fix it.....

Any ideas? Right now under System Info it doesn't even recognize a battery as existing, but it stays on if I unplug it....

I remember installing something like an ACPIBattery.kext or something like that before, but now I can't even remember where I found it.

yeah, i have tried those wifi drivers with no luck ( on an advent ) so i cracked this little {censored} open and slapped in a dell 1390 card and all is sweet. runs very well,audio is fine, sleep is fine, bluetooth is fine and battery monitor is fine. using an app to force resolution to 1024x600 everytime so i have never had the prob of it defaulting back to 800x600 and it really is a joy to use.

i have not updated the firmware as of yet as it means re installing windows to do so, that is the next mission.

webcam is a bit iffy. crashes photobooth but works in ichat. and audio out sockets do not work ( which is a big deal for me as i would use it alot ) besides these tho, i love the little fella.

Well, everything is up and running. 10.5.4. A little strange though. Before I had a battery monitor on 10.5.2 and now I don't. Not sure how that happened, but I don't know how to fix it.....Any ideas? Right now under System Info it doesn't even recognize a battery as existing, but it stays on if I unplug it....I remember installing something like an ACPIBattery.kext or something like that before, but now I can't even remember where I found it.

Copy back PowerManagement.bundle - it gets overwritten in the upgrade process. Then all will be well :)

yeah, i have tried those wifi drivers with no luck ( on an advent ) so i cracked this little {censored} open and slapped in a dell 1390 card and all is sweet. runs very well,audio is fine, sleep is fine, bluetooth is fine and battery monitor is fine. using an app to force resolution to 1024x600 everytime so i have never had the prob of it defaulting back to 800x600 and it really is a joy to use.i have not updated the firmware as of yet as it means re installing windows to do so, that is the next mission.webcam is a bit iffy. crashes photobooth but works in ichat. and audio out sockets do not work ( which is a big deal for me as i would use it alot ) besides these tho, i love the little fella.

You don't need Windows to do the firmware, you can do it (like me) from a bootable USB stick. It took my geekbench from around 450 to around 900, and makes the system MUCH snappier!

Things I really wanna get working are internal WiFi (just for the hell of it since I bought a 1490 anyway), audio sockets (not TOO fussed) but ideally some way to hibernate instead of battery sucking sleep. Don't see this happening.

Oh, and to get the 'between shift and z' backslash key working! May just have to buy a US spec Wind otherwise :D

P

I got time estimate etc. without installing that. Kinda nice just to use a kext with the vanilla bundle tho. meteparozzi, don't suppose you could send me your vanilla powermanagement.bundle so I can try it 'your way'?

I also don't get the reverting to 800x600 problem (touches wood)...

How is everyone finding battery life under OSX?

P

I got time estimate etc. without installing that. Kinda nice just to use a kext with the vanilla bundle tho. meteparozzi, don't suppose you could send me your vanilla powermanagement.bundle so I can try it 'your way'?

I also don't get the reverting to 800x600 problem (touches wood)...

How is everyone finding battery life under OSX?

P

Let me know if you aren't allowed to post stuff like that and I'll take it down. Not sure about the rules.

I find the laptop boots in about 30 seconds (or less). I let it run down to nothing the first day, so my battery estimate just a moment ago was over 4 hours, but it's going down fast, so the calibration doesn't seem to be that good. Now down to 3. I would say it probably hovers around 2 hours or less from a full charge.

Hell, in the last 2 minutes it's gone from 4:25 to 2:25.

PowerManagement.bundle.zip

Got it, thanks.Roll on the 6 cells!

Oddness, put that bundle back on and installed the kext, and now it says no battery installed! :)

(edit: repair and fix permissions solved this problem!)

Coolbook is still really helping my battery life!

P

Pretty much had to beg in pcworld, to grab the display model. Anybody else get a hard sales pitch for insurance. The guy was an arse when he worked out there was no way i'd give in and buy!

Anyway, its been worth dealing with pcworld for.

...Came preloaded with loads of {censored} (not that that will matter - osx here i come!!!)

Also only 2 1/2 hours battery time - what a crock of sh*t

Still £279 - And I have my Wind(ish)

Anyone know if I'll be able to get a better battery for it?

OK, so who wants to do us all a favor and make a disk image of a fresh 10.5.4 install with everything working (that is, everything that works at this point)? This would be a huge help to getting other things working. I haven't gotten my Wind yet, but I'd love to know that at least *most* everything works.

Also, has no one tried a Tiger install yet? I'd be interested to see if that runs better.

Why would you wanna go Tiger? Leopard runs great!

P

im also still interested in buying one but but can you run office (3documents), firefox with several tabs, adium/skype and maybe a torrent program, all at once while it stays responsive? or does it slow down a bit

, what is the weakness? how much or what do you run until it gets laggier

(i asked this before but didnt get a good answer)

Why would you wanna go Tiger? Leopard runs great!

P

I didn't say there was a problem with Leopard, just that it might be beneficial to see if performance is improved on Tiger. Seeing as this isn't exactly the best of the best in terms of hardware, it might be worth it to check it out.

That said, there usually isn't much of a slowdown from version to version with OS X. (I'm just saying that, if someone has extra time on their hands, I'd be interested to see the performance difference)

I think we should get together "Project Windintosh" to get all needed Kext, apps, and hack in one place. Maybe even do a custom installer and update info as it comes out.

I plan to get one as soon as it comes out in good old Holland and I will be active in getting this together. I will work like a mad bandit on the sound issue. Hopefully I will be able to enlist Taruga's help *crosses fingers*

Either way. Who is with me?

"Windintosh" - Hackintosh on Air!

or

"Windintosh" - Air for the Rest of us!

hi there. TIGER would be so much faster... I had a mac mini with tiger, and leo made it much slower.

pezley, I have a 1390 around. would you mind doing a step by step of your install? or even better, uploading an HD image???

thanks!

happy to do so, ill look at it tomorrow. it really is simple tho, the metal risers that need removing are only pushed into the board and then with a light glue held in place.they come out very easy. they are just the pegs where you would normally keep the wifi card screwed into to keep it in place, but once the case is back together you it is solid enough and the card wont budge. its a very simple install and i dont think even the most beginners will have any problems at all:)

happy to do so, ill look at it tomorrow. it really is simple tho, the metal risers that need removing are only pushed into the board and then with a light glue held in place.they come out very easy. they are just the pegs where you would normally keep the wifi card screwed into to keep it in place, but once the case is back together you it is solid enough and the card wont budge. its a very simple install and i dont think even the most beginners will have any problems at all:)

great pez!! but I meant the WHOLE install (kext and options galore), not just the wifi card :)

Not to rain on the parade but there really isn't that much extra to justify making a new 3+ GB disk and try to seed it with only 1 or 2 people.

Step by step:

Install Kalyway with these options (and only these options) checked:

Additional Fonts (if you want them)

kernel_vanilla_92

GMA950

macam_iusbcam

kext helper b7

Lastnetkassmbios

Powermanagment_Bundle

RealtekR1000

Make sure your ethernet cable is plugged in with a valid network connection (not PPPoE)

Download the Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate. Install it. Install vanilla kernel. Reboot and type 'update -v'. Run software update. Install everything (as of today). Reboot and type 'update -v'.

Upon reboot, install the attached kext files using kext helper b7. Install the two packages. Reboot after each installation. Repair disk permissions.

Celebrate. You now have a working 10.5.4 netbook.

If you have a wifi card known to work, crack the puppy open and add it in. If you have problems with the resolution randomly changing, download DisplayConfigX and set up a 1024 x 600 x 60hz monitor and save it.

TaDa! :(

Everything will be working at this point (if you installed a new wifi card) except for the microphone / input / output. Hope that helps. You can find the Kalyway distros on either the Blue / Yellow Mixed Together Demon or the Enclosed Oceanic Water Body of Pirates. I think I found mine on the first. :)

Just to set aside the talk of slowness and Tiger and all that. It really does run fast. I had a movie playing with some tunes, a few Safari tabs and a text edit document open with no problems. Try it before you knock it on speed, those Geekbench results don't do it much justice.

Archive.zip

I see your point, but we'll have even more updated kexts, drivers, etc in the disc we are building. We'll also include some of the files for people who are insistant on using Kalyway.

I'd like to think about it more as a restore disc for this laptop.

-Stell

Not to rain on the parade but there really isn't that much extra to justify making a new 3+ GB disk and try to seed it with only 1 or 2 people.

Step by step:

Install Kalyway with these options (and only these options) checked:

Additional Fonts (if you want them)

kernel_vanilla_92

GMA950

macam_iusbcam

kext helper b7

Lastnetkassmbios

Powermanagment_Bundle

RealtekR1000

Make sure your ethernet cable is plugged in with a valid network connection (not PPPoE)

Download the Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate. Install it. Install vanilla kernel. Reboot and type 'update -v'. Run software update. Install everything (as of today). Reboot and type 'update -v'.

Upon reboot, install the attached kext files using kext helper b7. Install the two packages. Reboot after each installation. Repair disk permissions.

Celebrate. You now have a working 10.5.4 netbook.

If you have a wifi card known to work, crack the puppy open and add it in. If you have problems with the resolution randomly changing, download DisplayConfigX and set up a 1024 x 600 x 60hz monitor and save it.

TaDa! :)

Everything will be working at this point (if you installed a new wifi card) except for the microphone / input / output. Hope that helps. You can find the Kalyway distros on either the Blue / Yellow Mixed Together Demon or the Enclosed Oceanic Water Body of Pirates. I think I found mine on the first. :D

Just to set aside the talk of slowness and Tiger and all that. It really does run fast. I had a movie playing with some tunes, a few Safari tabs and a text edit document open with no problems. Try it before you knock it on speed, those Geekbench results don't do it much justice.