Snow Leopard first impression

MACaroni

25 posts in this topic

Hi just installed it on my external HDD! Workes like a charm!

One thing I noticed was that when I was downloading a .dmg from the internet, normally you would have 2 files. One: name.dmg and another name.dmg.part1 (ore whatever) now its just 1 file! And this file also has a preview icon in the finder bar that shows the download progress!

Adobe CS3 installs and runs but i haven't had the time to stress test it :(

Anyone else wants to share his or her's experiences?

grtz

Wow, I haven't posted in a long time.

Are you using Firefox to download the DMG? Safari has never done that for me. Flash CS3 and Dreamweaver CS4 Beta run perfect.

I've been experiencing a scroll drawing problem where a window will get very strange looking after scrolling.*

64-Bit apps seem to use way too much RAM, and folders don't open in their correct mode (like when you set "Always open in list view").

Lot more beachballs, but CPU intensive processes take less time (encoding video).

Everything really seems the same, but regular use actually seems more sluggish.

Right-click spell correction doesn't work.

Special characters palette doesn't show up.

post-47946-1214343902_thumb.png

64-Bit apps seem to use way too much RAM, and folders don't open in their correct mode (like when you set "Always open in list view").

If you already knew this and meant are using too much RAM for 64 bit apps, don't take offense.

If not:

Source

The main disadvantage of 64-bit architectures is that relative to 32-bit architectures the same data occupies more space in memory (due to swollen pointers and possibly other types and alignment padding). This increases the memory requirements of a given process and can have implications for efficient processor cache utilization. Maintaining a partial 32-bit model is one way to handle this and is in general reasonably effective.

Install x86 and x86_64 Linux/Windows on the same hardware, the x64 version will always use more RAM overall. Snow Leopard is (so far) fully 64-bit while Leopard was a hybrid (at least in terms of the kernel).

I did know, but some apps seem so inflated, its ridiculous. Mail took 30 MB under Leopard, and it now takes 900! Activity Monitor takes 60 from 7. This seems far beyond what is expected of 64-bit.

Hey, anyone notice that wifi works in the installer (I don't think that it does in the Leopard setup)? In the apple menu, software update also shows up as an option. Maybe well have the option to download and install updates when we reinstall? Or maybe Apple is working towards a live DVD...

EDIT:

@hazkid, you're not looking the virtual memory, are you? i'm not getting anywhere near that amount of ram usage! 84 and 26 mb respectively for those two apps.

Hey, anyone notice that wifi works in the installer (I don't think that it does in the Leopard setup)? In the apple menu, software update also shows up as an option. Maybe well have the option to download and install updates when we reinstall? Or maybe Apple is working towards a live DVD...

EDIT:

@hazkid, you're not looking the virtual memory, are you? i'm not getting anywhere near that amount of ram usage! 84 and 26 mb respectively for those two apps.

Yeah Wifi works in the installer menu. But it was also working in the installer menu from 10.5 if I recall correctly

Nope, I was definitely looking at real mem.

New bugs: Can't rename finder items in list view

Can't copy/paste into rename under icon view

Droplet applescripts return "Apple Event Handler Failed".

Xcode (iPhone SDK Beta 7) took 5 min with no projects open to eat 1.2 GB of RAM. Really not cool for me.

Bad News:

Quicksilver dies silently;

SafariLeopard4preview does not install on top of Safari4SnowLeopard, but the latter lacks the quicklook-style flow history;

EVE online crash (cider error, but I don't know if it is the same under leopard - macbook 1.83 here)

Quicktime 7.6 (257.9) expires on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 9AM (look in about screen)

almost forgot: VMWare Fusion DOES NOT work! 1.1 and 2.0, tried a clean install, hangs on startup (icon in dock, no triangle)

Good News:

Ableton Live, PS CS3, FM9, RW4 all work.

Mail has Exchange2003/2007 option on account creation page

I couldn't reproduce Xcode and finder renaming bugs reported above, so far for me everything is fine.

so as some one who doesnt develop programs, would you suggest installing this? and btw the green demon, and the bay of pirates, arent seeding to great, so i decided to look elsewhere, and get it from a bin of newz..

thoughts on installing?

does this include safari 4? is there a new version of mail?

also how does firefox 3 run on it? i'm thinking about installing it because i pretty much only use firefox and vmware so if its faster i might as well. not too bothered if firefox dies every now and then

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi just installed it on my external HDD! Workes like a charm!

One thing I noticed was that when I was downloading a .dmg from the internet, normally you would have 2 files. One: name.dmg and another name.dmg.part1 (ore whatever) now its just 1 file! And this file also has a preview icon in the finder bar that shows the download progress!

Adobe CS3 installs and runs but i haven't had the time to stress test it :guitar:

Anyone else wants to share his or her's experiences?

grtz

I must say things haven’t gone too well so far…

http://blog.sensestudios.com/2009/08/snow-...ion-goes-badly/