[How To] GMA900 with QE and CI support on Leopard.

Andy4life

365 posts in this topic

sorry, but i have to ask this. I plan on getting a Thinkpad X41 Tablet for christmas (yes its a bit outdated, yes its probably going to be the cheapest mac tablet :) )

and it has a gma900 gfx card. can i get qe/ci/gl on it (just checking to make sure, should be a yes right?)

Yes. Not ideal but yes.

Hey...

first of all - thanks a lot for everything ;-)

I have the following scenario:

Specs:

HP dv1000 Notebook

System: iDeneb 1.3 (Leo 10.5.5) - clean installation

Videocard (if you could even name it that way nowadays ;-) ) VESA v3.0 7MB Intel 915GM/910ML/915MS

After Installation I removed all AppleIntel*kexts, restarted installed Andy4Life's kexts wich gave me a lot of wierd artifacts all over the screen, therefor I deinstalled all except for the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext.

But somehow it's annoying to boot up with a second Monitor attached and I found the GMA900NOPAPERCLIP from which I took the FrameBuffer and now I can startup my notebook without a second screen or the Paperclip hack (Thanks!).

Afterwards I am trying all kind of kombinations of the providet kext packages from Andy4Life, the Nopaperclip stuff and a third one - 900_by_Nick to get GE & CI running but no success untill now.

At least I run native resolution with 1280x768x32.

Does anyone have a clue?

I followed one of the installation combinations mentioned here:

I think it was:

Default but Chameleon, ToH 9.2.0, and that's probably the only thing that matters.

ACIP was also chosen.

Anyways, I removed the DVD at the reboot, and it went to a screen where it fades from blue to white and stays white. Song is playing in the background (which confirms that audio works :) ) but nothing else does. I do the display switch from laptop to external but the frequency is out of range. But then I only see half the menu on my screen with horizontal bars.

So close.....................?

I got it working using iDeneb 10.5.5 see my signature for the instructions...

hi fibblesan and mercurysquad, first of all thanks for your efforts and for testing this.

I would like to try the "new way", AppleIntelGMA950 kext enabler plus old IntegratedFramebuffer, but I am a little confused now, fibblesan you say you experienced kernel panics, you can't change resolution anymore and so on, mercurysquad you say with those two kexts by dfe everything is working with just some minor artifacts.. what you mean with minor artifacts? can you post a couple of pictures to let us understand?

maybe they are the same I have now and it is not worth for me to change anything now that I found a pretty stable configuration after many attempts and reinstalls....

can you confirm that with those two kexts by dfe everything is really working? (I mean for example still no need to use the paperclip, no kernel panics, possibilty to change resolution and so on..)

thanks in advance! bye :)

I got it working using iDeneb 10.5.5 see my signature for the instructions...

hi fibblesan and mercurysquad, first of all thanks for your efforts and for testing this.

I would like to try the "new way", AppleIntelGMA950 kext enabler plus old IntegratedFramebuffer, but I am a little confused now, fibblesan you say you experienced kernel panics, you can't change resolution anymore and so on, mercurysquad you say with those two kexts by dfe everything is working with just some minor artifacts.. what you mean with minor artifacts? can you post a couple of pictures to let us understand?

maybe they are the same I have now and it is not worth for me to change anything now that I found a pretty stable configuration after many attempts and reinstalls....

can you confirm that with those two kexts by dfe everything is really working? (I mean for example still no need to use the paperclip, no kernel panics, possibilty to change resolution and so on..)

thanks in advance! bye ;)

Using the framebuffer from 10.5.4+ gives no artifacts but you will get a kernel panic if an application tries to set a resolution. Also I found that performance was a lot worse. This was noticeable when playing videos - the screen would have lines as if there is no hardware acceleration.

Minor artifacts = Text entry boxes mainly, like when you rename a file or directory. Like this:

post-1253-1229549405_thumb.gif

It's hard to explain exactly. It doesn't happen all the time. It's very rare and seems to only happen on text entry boxes and applications that use OpenGL like iMovie 08, Photoshop etc.

Best thing for you to do is this: Backup your intel kexts, restore the stock GMA950 kexts for your Leopard version but keep your framebuffer. Use the enabler and you should be perfectly fine.

Old framebuffer = resolution changing, no kernel panics. slight artifacts for some people

Recent framebuffer = No resolution changing, low performance, no artifacts, kernel panics when application attempts to change resolution.

Using the framebuffer from 10.5.4+ gives no artifacts but you will get a kernel panic if an application tries to set a resolution. Also I found that performance was a lot worse. This was noticeable when playing videos - the screen would have lines as if there is no hardware acceleration.

Minor artifacts = Text entry boxes mainly, like when you rename a file or directory. Like this:

post-1253-1229549405_thumb.gif

It's hard to explain exactly. It doesn't happen all the time. It's very rare and seems to only happen on text entry boxes and applications that use OpenGL like iMovie 08, Photoshop etc.

Best thing for you to do is this: Backup your intel kexts, restore the stock GMA950 kexts for your Leopard version but keep your framebuffer. Use the enabler and you should be perfectly fine.

Old framebuffer = resolution changing, no kernel panics. slight artifacts for some people

Recent framebuffer = No resolution changing, low performance, no artifacts, kernel panics when application attempts to change resolution.

thanks a lot fibblesan! I'll try tomorrow stock kexts/OpenGL.framework + enabler and framebuffer by dfe :) (with mine framebuffer I am getting many artifacts now, so maybe with that one the situation can improve a little)

....but to do that I would need someone so kind to upload the stock OpenGL.framework too..... I have replaced it with the one found in this thread and did not make a backup of the orignal one.. ^_^:lol::)

OFFTOPIC: I'm still on 10.5.5 and everything works.. how did you update to 10.5.6? :lol: not running software update right? ;);)

bye :)

thanks a lot fibblesan! I'll try tomorrow stock kexts/OpenGL.framework + enabler and framebuffer by dfe ;) (with mine framebuffer I am getting many artifacts now, so maybe with that one the situation can improve a little)

....but to do that I would need someone so kind to upload the stock OpenGL.framework too..... I have replaced it with the one found in this thread and did not make a backup of the orignal one.. ^_^:lol:

OFFTOPIC: I'm still on 10.5.5 and everything works.. how did you update to 10.5.6? :lol: you did not use the software update right? :);)

bye :)

I used software update. It was very easy, actually.

1) Make sure you are using Voodoo kernel final. Install it if not

2) Make sure you have the original 10.5.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed. The update will fail without it.

3) Backup any driver kexts you need such as sound, audio, and your IntelFramebuffer kext

4) Once happy, run the update.

Personally, I have Voodoo kernel installed and I use Chameleon V9. In extra/extensions I have the AppleDecrypt, System.kext from Voodoo kernel and the disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (even though Voodoo disables it automatically).

Once I backed up my drivers, I did the update. First reboot, manually enter "mach_kernel.voodoo" and second reboot also, at the darwin bootloader. Then I ran the Voodoo installer again once at desktop.

I used software update. It was very easy, actually.

1) Make sure you are using Voodoo kernel final. Install it if not

2) Make sure you have the original 10.5.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed. The update will fail without it.

3) Backup any driver kexts you need such as sound, audio, and your IntelFramebuffer kext

4) Once happy, run the update.

Personally, I have Voodoo kernel installed and I use Chameleon V9. In extra/extensions I have the AppleDecrypt, System.kext from Voodoo kernel and the disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (even though Voodoo disables it automatically).

Once I backed up my drivers, I did the update. First reboot, manually enter "mach_kernel.voodoo" and second reboot also, at the darwin bootloader. Then I ran the Voodoo installer again once at desktop.

thanks again, I'm trying also this tomorrow :blush:

I don't know if I have the original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.. and for sure I don't have AppleDecrypt (I have dsmos instead..) but should be fine anyway... would it be possible for you to upload the 10.5.6 OpenGL.framework and just to be sure I will have everything also the 10.5.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext?

thanks anyway! bye!

thanks again, I'm trying also this tomorrow :)

I don't know if I have the original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.. and for sure I don't have AppleDecrypt (I have dsmos instead..) but should be fine anyway... would it be possible for you to upload the 10.5.6 OpenGL.framework and just to be sure I will have everything also the 10.5.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext?

thanks anyway! bye!

OK. I've uploaded a pack which contains all the kexts you may need. These are:

10.5.5 System.kext.zip

10.5.5 seatbelt.kext.zip

10.5.6 Intel GMA900.zip

10.5.6 OpenGL.framework.zip

AC97.zip

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

AppleDecrypt.kext.zip

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementDisabler.kext.zip

AppleSMBIOS EFI.zip

OpenHaltRestart_1.0.3.kext.zip

Get it from here

To upgrade, you need to download the 10.5.6 update from Apple here

You will also need Voodoo XNU final from here

1) If you haven't already, install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementDisabler.kext.zip (unzip first)

2) Install Voodoo XNU if you are not using it currently.

3) Reboot

4) Install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

5) Backup any drives you need

6) Run update. When reboot, press any key at boot menu and enter 'mach_kernel.voodoo' without quotes. Do the same on the next reboot

7) Once at desktop, install Voodoo kernel again

8) Install the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext and system.kext

9) Unpack the GMA900 zip and install the IntelIntegrated Framebuffer and the enabler kexts.

10) Restore any other drivers

That should do the job. The pack contains more than you will need. I did this as a personal backup also. You shouldn't need to install the OpenGL as it will update anyway.

OK. I've uploaded a pack which contains all the kexts you may need. These are:

[CUT]

Get it from here

To upgrade, you need to download the 10.5.6 update from Apple here

You will also need Voodoo XNU final from here

[CUT]

That should do the job. The pack contains more than you will need. I did this as a personal backup also. You shouldn't need to install the OpenGL as it will update anyway.

Hi fibblesan and thanks for your help :)

unfortunately it was a little more difficult here to do the update... I had many problems and spent a lot of time... I had to restore the osx install partition something like 10 times!! :D:wacko: but now at last I am on 10.5.6 and all the SW up to date :)

the problem is that I don't have qe/ci.... I have stock GMA kexts and OpenGL.framewrok from 10.5.6, then I installed the old IntelIntegratedFramebuffer and enabler kexts I found in your zip. The enabler does not seem to work :(

Moly$ cat /var/log/system.log | grep nabler
Dec 19 11:50:53 localhost kernel[0]: Intel915LegacyEnabler: PCI provider is not vendor 8086 device 2582.  Bailing.

From the System Profiler I see this infromation regarding my video card:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model:	GMA 950
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB of shared system memory
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x2592
 Revision ID:	0x0003
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Software
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported
 Built-In:	Yes

what could I do? :(

another thing... I don't have battery indicator anymore and from Energy Saver I don't have power saving options.. I have already restored my previous AppleACPI.kext and PowerManagement.bundle... am I forgotting something?

thanks bye :)

Moly$ cat /var/log/system.log | grep nabler
Dec 19 11:50:53 localhost kernel[0]: Intel915LegacyEnabler: PCI provider is not vendor 8086 device 2582.  Bailing.

what could I do? :)

Where did you get the GMA enabler kext? That message is not from the version I uploaded but from the original dfe version which only supported dev ID 2582 (which incidentally has not been released).

Use this one http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141549

Where did you get the GMA enabler kext? That message is not from the version I uploaded but from the original dfe version which only supported dev ID 2582 (which incidentally has not been released).

hi mercurysquad! thanks now everything works fine :) I thought I was using your modified kext....

the performances seems a little better than before, but unfortunately I have the same artifacts then before.. and maybe even a little more.. well that's not a big problem :)

now the only problem is the battery indicator.... I will try to fix this now :)

ps: your speedstep kext and voodoo kernel are working like a charm!! :D you are great man :)

Oops, looks like I accidentally gave you the one I compiled myself... sorry

hi mercurysquad! thanks now everything works fine :) I thought I was using your modified kext....

the performances seems a little better than before, but unfortunately I have the same artifacts then before.. and maybe even a little more.. well that's not a big problem :D

now the only problem is the battery indicator.... I will try to fix this now :)

ps: your speedstep kext and voodoo kernel are working like a charm!! ;) you are great man :)

You cant Becouse the pc detect 2 batteries in windows in linux and in mac

You cant Becouse the pc detect 2 batteries in windows in linux and in mac

what do you mean? before the 10.5.6 upgrade the battery indicator was working without any problem.. it automatically updated its status when I was connecting or disconnecting the power cord, and I could set different energy saver settings for when the laptop was on battery or connected to the power.....

Oops, looks like I accidentally gave you the one I compiled myself... sorry

no problem man you have already helped me so much! ;):)

what do you mean? before the 10.5.6 upgrade the battery indicator was working without any problem.. it automatically updated its status when I was connecting or disconnecting the power cord, and I could set different energy saver settings for when the laptop was on battery or connected to the power.....

no problem man you have already helped me so much! ;):)

i have the same pc as you and my battery indicator didn't work and i ask Slice and he said it detected 2 batteries

i would like to know. I have everything working now, quartz and core image.

but what bothers me is the sencod display and the paper clip.

Does anyone know, which of the appleintel kexts are responsible for the second display and the paper clip?

Also, if it says, that i have two displays will it mean that it will take some of the graphics chip's productivity to render the image for the second display thus making the graphics performance slower?

Moderators, where are you?

Can anyone upload original gma950 kext form iDeneb 10.5.5? I had to remove this kexts for run this iDeneb on my GMA900. Now I want cl and qe so I need the original gma950 kext for applying elliottappleintelGMA950..

Please, help me and sorry for my English.

Can anyone upload original gma950 kext form iDeneb 10.5.5? I had to remove this kexts for run this iDeneb on my GMA900. Now I want cl and qe so I need the original gma950 kext for applying elliottappleintelGMA950..

Please, help me and sorry for my English.

in the previous page you can find it, in a post by fibblesan. they are from 10.5.6 but work perfectly

in the previous page you can find it, in a post by fibblesan. they are from 10.5.6 but work perfectly

Thank you! I found it! Installed patch. Work better than solution from first post, but I have still mouse reflexion in iTines when I use search. At all great solution! :D