[How To] GMA900 with QE and CI support on Leopard.

Andy4life

365 posts in this topic

@Schnukums: I have the same problem. Flurry screensaver and the visualizations work, but Cinema4D in OpenGL mode crashes.

an other thing i noticed is that osx tells me that i have only 64mb v-ram whereas the bios is set for 124 so what's up with that???

In one of my previous posts in this topic I asked the same question, but I still don't know why this is so.

@Fibblesan: No, I don't tried the Voodoo kernel. Where I can find it? How I can install it? Now I am using the TOH kernel (I think 9.4) and I tried all Netkas Speedstep and Sleep kernels from the iDeneb 10.5.5 install DVD, but it's always the same.

Here is a video. At best you can see the problem when I use Spaces, because YouTube makes the quality lower then it looks as if the rest would be good (My digital camera makes the noise in the background)...

Bye

edit: I copied the file mach_kernel.voodoo to the root directory. When I start the OS with 'mach_kernel.voodoo' then I recive a error message: kdp_poll: no debugger device. What this means? How I can fix it?

@Schnukums: I have the same problem. Flurry screensaver and the visualizations work, but Cinema4D in OpenGL mode crashes.

In one of my previous posts in this topic I asked the same question, but I still don't know why this is so.

@Fibblesan: No, I don't tried the Voodoo kernel. Where I can find it? How I can install it? Now I am using the TOH kernel (I think 9.4) and I tried all Netkas Speedstep and Sleep kernels from the iDeneb 10.5.5 install DVD, but it's always the same.

Here is a video. At best you can see the problem when I use Spaces, because YouTube makes the quality lower then it looks as if the rest would be good (My digital camera makes the noise in the background)...

Bye

edit: I copied the file mach_kernel.voodoo to the root directory. When I start the OS with 'mach_kernel.voodoo' then I recive a error message: kdp_poll: no debugger device. What this means? How I can fix it?

Get it from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ and make sure you are using the correct System.kext

As for that error, I don't think it's to do with the kernel. Based on a quick search try booting with -s (safe mode) then:

"Look in /System/Library/Extensions if there's a file with CHUD in its name, and move it somewhere else. "

Hehe, yes it was Time Machine :(

@fibblesan: I installed iDeneb again with the Netkas Speedstep kernel 9.0.2, then I installed the Voodoo kernel and CRP's kexts and OpenGL framework. Now I think my system is faster, but I will write again in one or two days and say if the performance is still good.

Cinema4D still doesn't work in OpenGL mode.

Thank you all

Hello,

I was attempting to install Mac OS X to my notebook, Dell Inspiron 1300.

I've got an iDeneb 10.5.5 version.

Notebook config:

chipset - intel 915,

graphics - intel 915GM/910GML (8mbytes)

processor - intel celeron M (1,6GHz) with SSE2

All installation completed successfully, but when i ran the OS first time, it showed me the blue screen. I thought that happened because of my incompatible video, so I tried to load the kext for 915 gma manually on startup. I haven't found appleintelgma900.kext in /system/library/extensions/. So i used ...gma950.kext instead. The system booted normally, not with hardware acceleration (no CI/QE), but at least i could see my desktop :) .

The next time i restart OS the same thing occurs, and i had to load the kext once again. I tried many ways to convince my OS to load it on startup, nothing helped :) .

The method described in this arcticle didn't help, i'm seeing the same blue screen if i don't load the kext manually.

So i ask your help. Can you give me an advise, about how to convince the OS to load this kexts on startup?

(

1. my vendor and product id are present in ...GMA950.kext/plist.info, they are - vendorID=0x8086 productID=0x2592.

2. i tried to clear the kext cache, generate it with "kextcache -k", repair permissions and then reboot. No result :( .

)

Hello

With the Voodoo kernel I have a much better performance. But when I connect my Netopia modem, then my laptop is slower and animations and effects are not smooth. When I disconnect it, then I have again a great performance. Why is this so?

@GregoryMaks: Hmmm, I don't know how you can convince the OS to load the kexts, but I know there is a possibility. When I first installed the OS, then I loaded 'appleintelgma950.kext' manually, and installed the kext's and OpenGL framework from this post. Later I repaired permissions and it loaded automatically. (I have hardware acceleration and QE/CI)

Bye

What is the difference between a native OS and iDeneb or others..?

And...

Are the kexts of my modem or the kexts of my chipset the reason for the bad performance when I connect my modem?

Bye

Firstly, thanks to Andy4life for putting his edited kexts online and telling us how he got it working. Thanks to this guy, I got it working on my desktop so I thought I would share my files. I have edited the latest Intel drivers with both my ID and Andy's ID which should cover everybody.

Quick guide: UPDATE - r2 uploaded. Uses 10.5.3 drivers.

1) Ensure your system is running 10.5.3. Download my pack from here and unzip it onto the desktop using OS X. If you need 10.5.2 kexts then download this

2) Remove all intel graphic kexts from /System/Library/Extensions these are:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3) Enter the folder for the pack you downloaded and use kexthelper to drop all the kexts into the system. Then enter the folder that matches your device ID, and use kexthelper to install the AppleGMA950.kext

4) remove Extensions.mkext and reboot.

Included AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is verson 1.4.20.28 which does allow resolution change, but has slight artifacts with heavy applications (for me, anyway).

Running iAtkos v.5 (10.5.5) on Dell Optiplex GX280 with Prescott P4 3.0:

My GMA900 has a "2852" PID.

When I install the 2582 "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" kext and reboot, I get a black screen with a pointer. When I use one of the other "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" files, I get resolution change but no QE or CI. (of course all of the other kexts are installed too)

Any ideas (am I using the wrong kexts for 10.5.5)?

When I install the 2582 "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" kext and reboot, I get a black screen with a pointer. When I use one of the other "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" files, I get resolution change but no QE or CI. (of course all of the other kexts are installed too)

Use the kexts in this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=936087

Many thanks to Andy4life and Sansey for this major improvement in my OSx86 installation on my Dell Inspiron 6000. I definitely needed Sansey's fix for the drop-down menus and Andy4life's kext is perfect. Yesssss!

I fibblesan, I have a couple of questions for you, I hope you can help me :)

everything is working here, except for just a little mouse tearing, so I would like to try the kexts you linked. The problem is in that zip there are three AppleIntelGMA950 kexts in three different folders (named 2582, 2592 and 2792).. which one should I use?

second, I see in your signature your BC 5751 lan card is "fully working with MAC updating script"... here is working too but the MAC address is always set to 00:00:00:00:00:00.... if you were able to fix that can you please tell me how? it is not a big problem but I would like to have everything 100% working.. :)

finally, I see your AC97 is fully working too.. do you mean also the audio out/headphone switch? I mean, if you connect the headphones does the output from the external speakers automatically switch off?

thanks a lot in advance!!

PS: for everyone with a HW similar to mine interested on the CPU scaling feature...I was able to get the SpeedStep working here! Just still having some problems when starting the system on battery..

by the way to get it working I switched to the voodoo kernel (http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/), then installed this kext with kexthelper (http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/).. you just have to patch a little the Info.plist file before installing the kext otherwise you are probably going to get many kernel panics.... see here for more info on what to change: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...20&start=20

I fibblesan, I have a couple of questions for you, I hope you can help me :)

everything is working here, except for just a little mouse tearing, so I would like to try the kexts you linked. The problem is in that zip there are three AppleIntelGMA950 kexts in three different folders (named 2582, 2592 and 2792).. which one should I use?

You need to use all the kexts outside of those three folders, then use one of the kext from the folders that match your device ID. If you have a HP DC7100 desktop like me, then you need to use 2582. You can find out what you need by going into System Profiler, then viewing Graphics. It will show your device ID.

second, I see in your signature your BC 5751 lan card is "fully working with MAC updating script"... here is working too but the MAC address is always set to 00:00:00:00:00:00.... if you were able to fix that can you please tell me how? it is not a big problem but I would like to have everything 100% working.. :)

Follow this guide: http://www.gizmolabs.org/~ecronin/w/Main/OSXSetMac

You need to change this line:

/sbin/ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55

to this:

/sbin/ifconfig en0 ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

and make sure the MAC address is actually the one for your card. You can use Windows or Linux to find that out.

finally, I see your AC97 is fully working too.. do you mean also the audio out/headphone switch? I mean, if you connect the headphones does the output from the external speakers automatically switch off?

Yes, works perfectly. I am using the AppleAC97.kext that came with iDeneb 10.5.4

thanks a lot in advance!!

PS: for everyone with a HW similar to mine interested on the CPU scaling feature...I was able to get the SpeedStep working here! Just still having some problems when starting the system on battery..

by the way to get it working I switched to the voodoo kernel (http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/), then installed this kext with kexthelper (http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/).. you just have to patch a little the Info.plist file before installing the kext otherwise you are probably going to get many kernel panics.... see here for more info on what to change: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...20&start=20

You don't need to use kexthelper. The final release of the Voodoo kernel has an installer. It's preferred to use this.

Use the kexts that gave you the black screen. Then boot in safe mode (using -x at the boot loader) then replace the OpenGL framework with the one here: http://kindred.at/maci/OpenGL.framework.tar.gz

That should work fine. I've been playing about with the different kexts and different OpenGL frameworks and I find I'm only working when I use that framework and the kexts edited by Nick for 10.5.5

Unfortunately I've got artifacts in some apps, and videos playback with wrong colours. I'm pretty sure I never had problems like this in the past so I'm going to do a re-install to see if I can narrow the cause down.

Nick's Kexts don't give me the black scren... I'm going back to the r2 kexts with the AppleIntelGMA950 that caused my machine to come up with a black screen... then installing the opengl Framework... I'll report back

It's a shame that there is not a single solution for everybody. Whilst Nicks 10.5.5 kexts work fine for myself, some others get black screens unless they replace the OpenGL framework. It's a pain in the backside to be honest, but considering that GMA900 is not suppose to be working in Leopard, we've achieved a lot!

Hope you get something working soon.

It's a shame that there is not a single solution for everybody. Whilst Nicks 10.5.5 kexts work fine for myself, some others get black screens unless they replace the OpenGL framework. It's a pain in the backside to be honest, but considering that GMA900 is not suppose to be working in Leopard, we've achieved a lot!

Hope you get something working soon.

Same Pc Model :P

LOL, I forgot about that! That would be exactly why the work for me, ha.

Do you have the distorted colour issue on Quicktime videos?

No Not recently i only had it when i was using iDeneb With JaS 10.5.4 and boot-132 it workes perfectly

Offtopic

Did you try the HD4550 ?

You need to use all the kexts outside of those three folders, then use one of the kext from the folders that match your device ID. If you have a HP DC7100 desktop like me, then you need to use 2582. You can find out what you need by going into System Profiler, then viewing Graphics. It will show your device ID.

thanks a lot, did not think about that.. I am going to try tomorrow :)

OK, so I need to create two text files with the content as per the guide and place them in the correct place.. but I don't think this will be enough and I will need to set them executable, change permissions or do something like that.... am I wrong?

Yes, works perfectly. I am using the AppleAC97.kext that came with iDeneb 10.5.4

I don't remember if it is the same that comes with 10.5.5 iDeneb.... if I remember right the one I installed was a Generic AC97 kext or similar.. checking this tomorrow too.. thanks :)

You don't need to use kexthelper. The final release of the Voodoo kernel has an installer. It's preferred to use this.

Yes I installed the kernel with the installer, very easy! I used KextHelper to install the SpeedStep kext :(

thanks again for your answers I'll keep you updated :)

byeeee

just a question on the side:

i see some of you have osx 10.5.4 or .5 but how...

i've tried updating but it kept crashing on me (certainly, since vanilla doesnt work with my cpu) i've read that there is a kalyway 10.5.5 update but i havent found one to download

probably somebody here has an idea where to find the update

i'm pretty happy with my kaly 10.5.1 version but my opengl doesnt work correclty (screensaver and itunes visualization=perfectly fine, any other app crashes after the first frame) so i hope to fix that by updating, do you thing this might work???

Moly82

What pc are you using

laptop HP NC6120

centrino pentium m 1.7 GHz

gma900

:angel:

bye!

just a question on the side:

i see some of you have osx 10.5.4 or .5 but how...

i've tried updating but it kept crashing on me (certainly, since vanilla doesnt work with my cpu) i've read that there is a kalyway 10.5.5 update but i havent found one to download

probably somebody here has an idea where to find the update

i'm pretty happy with my kaly 10.5.1 version but my opengl doesnt work correclty (screensaver and itunes visualization=perfectly fine, any other app crashes after the first frame) so i hope to fix that by updating, do you thing this might work???

if you have a gma900 try following these instructions....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry976129

bye!

No Not recently i only had it when i was using iDeneb With JaS 10.5.4 and boot-132 it workes perfectly

Offtopic

Did you try the HD4550 ?

Ok, I'll try JaS 10.5.4 out. I don't use boot-132 though, I use Chameleon with the Extra/Extensions folder.

Did you do an update to 10.5.5 using software update? I wonder if my problems caused by using the combo..

Did you try the HD4550 ?

Didn't buy it. I'm going to get something that will work with Leopard, like the 6200LE.

OK, so I need to create two text files with the content as per the guide and place them in the correct place.. but I don't think this will be enough and I will need to set them executable, change permissions or do something like that.... am I wrong?

I don't remember if it is the same that comes with 10.5.5 iDeneb.... if I remember right the one I installed was a Generic AC97 kext or similar.. checking this tomorrow too.. thanks :)

Don't forget to make the change that I mentioned. Put the org.gizmolabs.setMAC.plist and the org.gizmolabs.setMAC folder into Library > LaunchDaemons and also System > Library > LaunchDaemons

Make sure you have the BCM5751 kext installed.

Generic AC97 comes with iDeneb 10.5.5

I've installed JaS 10.5.4 and installed the GMA900 kexts as provided by Nick, and I still get the wrong colours in quicktime videos. This is incredibly odd. I don't remember having this issue when I used Kalyway 10.5.2 a few months ago, but I get this issue when using JaS 10.5.4 and also with iDeneb 10.5.4.

Nick, did you have to do anything else to get this working?

Don't forget to make the change that I mentioned. Put the org.gizmolabs.setMAC.plist and the org.gizmolabs.setMAC folder into Library > LaunchDaemons and also System > Library > LaunchDaemons

Make sure you have the BCM5751 kext installed.

I'm pretty sure I have done all correctly but it doesn't work :angel: I generated the two files and the folder as per the instructions placing them in both the locations you told me and did the modification you told me but it seems the script doesn't start at all at boot time. I checked the console and it sayd there were problems on the plist file permissions, I fixed them but it still doesn't work, what I can see now from the console is:

Dec 11 09:44:07 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: CFURLCreateDataAndPropertiesFromResource(/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.gizmolabs.setMAC) failed: -10
Dec 11 09:44:07 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: no plist was returned for: /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.gizmolabs.setMAC
Dec 11 09:44:08 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: no plist was returned for: /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.gizmolabs.setMAC.plist
Dec 11 09:44:08 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: CFURLCreateDataAndPropertiesFromResource(/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.gizmolabs.setMAC) failed: -10
Dec 11 09:44:08 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: no plist was returned for: /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.gizmolabs.setMAC
Dec 11 09:44:08 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: no plist was returned for: /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.gizmolabs.setMAC.plist

Generic AC97 comes with iDeneb 10.5.5

it doesn't work here the automatic switch between headphones and external speakers. if I connect the headphones I can hear sound from them, but also the external speakers still work....

this is the kexts I am using:

Moly$ kextstat | grep AC97
  66	2 0x208c6000 0xd000	 0xc000	 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio (1.0.0) <65 12>
  67	0 0x208d3000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH (1.0.0) <66 17 12>
  80	0 0x1ad59000 0x2000	 0x1000	 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x (1.0.0) <66 12>

could you please show me the output of your terminal if you run this command? So I can check if we are using the same kext....

"kextstat | grep AC97"

I've installed JaS 10.5.4 and installed the GMA900 kexts as provided by Nick, and I still get the wrong colours in quicktime videos. This is incredibly odd. I don't remember having this issue when I used Kalyway 10.5.2 a few months ago, but I get this issue when using JaS 10.5.4 and also with iDeneb 10.5.4.

I have tried the kexts by Nick, choosing the correct Intel950 kext according to my Device ID, but I still have mouse tearings and now I need the paperclip trick again.... so I am switching back to the ones I was using before..... :D

thanks bye!