MSI Neo2 FR - Running 10.5.4 Perfectly (Tutorial)

knew know

141 posts in this topic

Update:

Tried again, 10.5.2 Leo4All Install with seetings from 1st post

Then JAS 10.5.3 Update (as mentioned above)

Then downloaded 10.5.4 Delta /NOT Combo .... installed fine...

Then downloaded 10.5.5 Delta .... made mistake / i skip that :rolleyes:

before doing anything, Backed up my Extensions Folder, open Terminal

in Terminal type

sudo -s

then you are "master" which is important (noob here)

then type

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

keep terminal opened

start update

then it rebooted twice.

after that sound was broken, i had to AppleHDAPatch the ALC888 again as mentioned in first post...

now 10.5.5 runs fine ;)

edit

thanks to backup i can't boot without my Leo4All DVD - if anybody knows how to fix that :)

I found out that QI/QE is not working - no clue if that was before :)

2. I installed NVKush but since I have the 9600GT it wouldnt boot unless I was in safe mode. (-V -x)

3. This release is missing all the cool programs that leo4all had, so I don't know how to remove NVKush.

Hmmm... not too sure what the kext is. And since I haven't had access to a Mac machine for weeks I'm not able to do a quick check for you. You'll have to delve into the forum in the Graphics section and do a bit of reading I'm afraid.

Ok, Now I'm even more confused, Evidentally you can't run XP on the board because ACHI is enable? How are the rest of you doing this?

......I geuss I'll answer the first question Myself. Two hard drive Bios change and save to stores in the BIOS since XP does not like ACHI!.....

But still need the other questions answered...... " Am I to supposed to Install them from the OS X or Even for that matter should I update from JAS do the same. Or is this where I should install from the boot? Ive gotten this far I just need a little Help"

I don't see any issues with AHCI and Windows XP. Are you still having this problem? Did you install xp on the first partition and then OSX after, or are you installing it the other way around?

do anybody know how to get IDE dvd-rom working? any extensions or patches? thanx

Sorry Moscow. I know that there are definitely ways to do this. And I did get it "going" with Leo4Allv3 but not necessarily working. I eventually just purchased an sata drive, and everything installed fairly well.

do anybody know how to get IDE dvd-rom working? any extensions or patches? thanx

Sorry Moscow. I know that there are definitely ways to do this. And I did get it "going" with Leo4Allv3 but not necessarily working. I eventually just purchased an sata drive, and everything installed fairly well.

Well I did some searching and thanks to Dense I found...

http://my.ukrweb.info/en/2008/01/1/marvell...ta-kext-leopard

Which works for me. I did a clean install from 10.5.2 and installed just that and stepped it up to 10.5.4. IDE is read as SATA. I used Kext Helper to install it the first time and I think that's what trashed my system.

EDIT: This is actually causing a problem with reading the drive with applications. It reads and mounts the DVD fine but opening with HandBrake or DiskUtil will make the App freeze...

Any options here?

I was having issues as well with the IDE drive not working as it should. Time to upgrade? No one likes those annoying IDE cables anyhow ;P

First of all: THANK YOU !

Followed your guide, everything works (10.5.2)

Didn't try to get to 10.5.4, since I lost USB Plug&Play after trying the JAS 10.5.3 Update the first time. Sadly i can't remember what i did next, but it ended up in completely busting my OSX86 installation :blink:

Since everything runs fine (hope it's not a security issue to run 10.5.2), i hope you post again an idiot proof update guide for 10.5.5 or how you got it working.

thanks again !

No Problem stanford. Yea, the USB issue is due to a kernel incompatibility. You just need to switch back to the older Vanilla Kernel. I can't remember exactly which one anymore. I only had that issue when using the Kalyway installs though, so I'm unsure why you have that problem with Leo4All.

I haven't touched 10.5.5 or osx for that matter (except on my macbook which is irrelevant in this case), but I will update the guide when I have some time to get the system updated.

Anyone tried booting successfully off the new Leo4allv5 10.5.4 Server on a IDE DVD drive?

Thanks for the heads up wkweksl on Leo4allv5. I had no idea that it was released. I'll have to take a hard look at it soon and see if there are any improvements over the JaS release. Time to update to sata? ;P

Btw ... sorry guys, I haven't been around much recently to offer much help/support/ideas but it's good to see that the thread is still moving along and that I'm seeing a few posts that are informative as well as support/help questions.

Thanks,

kk

Time to update to sata? ;P
Think it's the device ids that needs to be added on the AppleVIAATA kexts. So far I've tried all distros and only Leo4allv3 boots nicely on ide dvd drives so far. The other option is to rip out the dvd and run it on usb.

Update: 10.5.5 (9.5.0) running perfect, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart work

QI/QE works, Mounting USB... just everything is fine after applying the NVInstaller again

only thing still doesn't work due Timemachine Backup, is booting without the DVD. Bootloader seems not to be copied by timemachine (if this is how it works)....

i can live with that :D until i find a thread where they describe how to install the leo4all (no clue if its a special one) bootloader again.

:)

cheers

FYI iDeneb v1.3 boots off ide dvd drives nicely. Have not got a chance to finish installation but the distro booted into the setup screen fine. Looks like a good upgrade candidate to Leo4allv3.

Edit: iDeneb v1.3 runs ok after patching 10.5.5 ATI drivers with lastExile's packages found here

FYI iDeneb v1.3 boots off ide dvd drives nicely. Have not got a chance to finish installation but the distro booted into the setup screen fine. Looks like a good upgrade candidate to Leo4allv3.

Edit: iDeneb v1.3 runs ok after patching 10.5.5 ATI drivers with lastExile's packages found here

Are you sure that it works? I have this mainboard, but the Setup doesn't even start. It says "Still waiting for root device". I have a SATA HDD attached to the same Chip as the PATA DVD. All the other SATAs are used by other HDDs.

My BIOS is not modded yet. Do I have to expect any problems with the modded BIOS? For example if I boot Windows? Is your BIOS modded?

I have a nvidia card and I hope it will work with iDeneb. Thanks for any help!

Greetings dawiinci

Are you sure that it works? I have this mainboard, but the Setup doesn't even start. It says "Still waiting for root device". I have a SATA HDD attached to the same Chip as the PATA DVD. All the other SATAs are used by other HDDs.

It should work. Set your dvd to master if there's only one drive on the ide controller. So far it's Leo4allv3 and iDeneb v1.3 that has the device id added to AppleVIAATA kext for the ide controller on our mainboard.

My BIOS is not modded yet. Do I have to expect any problems with the modded BIOS? For example if I boot Windows? Is your BIOS modded?

Start with cpus=1 if your bios is not modded yet.

I have a nvidia card and I hope it will work with iDeneb. Thanks for any help!

If you have a supported nv card it will work.

Good luck.

That's great. I changed the drive to master and it works now. I installed iDeneb with some Drivers. Now it looks like as there are no additional drivers installed. The 8800GT (XFX 512MB) doesn't works and chameleon isn't running. I have to boot from DVD.

I hope I can fix that with a reinstall of the chameleon with Chameleon-1.0.11-build.tar and the Latest_NVinject.0.2.1_512Mb.

Thanks for your help!

Update: 10.5.5 (9.5.0) running perfect, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart work

QI/QE works, Mounting USB... just everything is fine after applying the NVInstaller again

only thing still doesn't work due Timemachine Backup, is booting without the DVD. Bootloader seems not to be copied by timemachine (if this is how it works)....

i can live with that :D until i find a thread where they describe how to install the leo4all (no clue if its a special one) bootloader again.

:D

cheers

I'm also a bit skeptical of shutdown/sleep working properly. Did you install any kext fixes to get this working? What kernel, vanilla 10.5? StageXNU? This is the final fix to having osx working 100% ... and then I'll be able to login from work while my computer is in S3 ;P.

Thanks,

kk

Btw... I asked OriginalMACNUT if he could make us a new modified BIOS for the recently released 1.9, and he so kindly posted it this morning. Please send him a thank you or maybe a quick paypal donation for his troubles (you can find the information in his sig). Anyway ... here's the link for the file. I have NOT tested the file yet, but will most likely do so when I get home from work this evening. Feel free to give it a try, but remember there are always risks involved. I'll post my results here once I've tested...

http://rapidshare.com/files/150130970/A7345IMS.190.zip.html

Btw... I asked OriginalMACNUT if he could make us a new modified BIOS for the recently released 1.9, and he so kindly posted it this morning. Please send him a thank you or maybe a quick paypal donation for his troubles (you can find the information in his sig). Anyway ... here's the link for the file. I have NOT tested the file yet, but will most likely do so when I get home from work this evening. Feel free to give it a try, but remember there are always risks involved. I'll post my results here once I've tested...

http://rapidshare.com/files/150130970/A7345IMS.190.zip.html

Do not flash to 1.9 if you have half multipliers for your cpu (7.5,8.5,9.5 etc). There are no options for half multipliers in 1.9 so you'd be running with an underclocked cpu. I tried the official 1.9 sometime back and ended up with a 7 instead of 7.5 multiplier for Q9300 and am back to 1.8.

hi there, i´m also trying to install the ideneb release on 2 different computers.

yesterday i did on the msi p35 neo 2 c2d e6300@2,8gHz 6gb 800mHz and it worked well except several things.

first it is just working with one core and 2nd it does not recognise the ide channel.

the other things are working. lan, audio (just front connector), and other sata drives(except the one belonging to the ide channel), expecially the pcie hd3870 is working. also with 2 displays and fully QE and CI :)

all installed via sata dvd drive on rewritable dvd with the ideneb v.1.1 10.5.4 release. nothing jumpered

so the other motherboard was an asrock 775 dualvsta c2d e4500@2,9gHz and 1gb 667mhz.

it was better working(both cores),except my agp geforce 7600 gt 256mb, so it ended up with no CI and QE. :(:rolleyes:

there i have to install it with an ide DVD drive with ideneb v.1.1 10.5.4 release onto an 40gb ide hdd. both jumper set to master.

writing these lines i´m trying to install ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 to the asrock board, but getting errors with the dvd

im not happy changing my bios for installing ideneb v1.3 to the msi board.

thx

Edited by dualist

I still have some issues with my installation.

I can install iDeneb 1.3 from the IDE DVD to a SATA HDD (both on the same chip). (GUID)

But when I reboot i get the boot1:error. So I tried booting with the DVD again by

typing rd=disk0s2. Now it works, but i can't install any drivers. Sound and Graphics

are not working and I'm not able to boot without DVD.

Please help

Okay so I've got this board (MSI Neo2-fr) working almost perfectly with boot 132 method now. Needs some tweaking still but I'll probably make an .ISO with the necessary kexts. Anyone interested in that?

That would be great... thanks HaX.

I second that, knew know. Thanks for posting the modded 1.9 bios!

I also have a successful update to 10.5.5 from 10.5.4 by following the instructions on the 10.5.5 thread.

I have ideneb 1.3 on the d/l right now, so I'll try it out once I burn a copy. It has a "shutdown fix" that I'm very curius about. I nabbed the fix on its own, but since I don't have a working copy of osx86 right now, I'll attempt ideneb and post the customize settings along with any installation issues if I can get it running well

But when I reboot i get the boot1:error. So I tried booting with the DVD again by

typing rd=disk0s2. Now it works, but i can't install any drivers. Sound and Graphics

are not working and I'm not able to boot without DVD.

I ran into the same problem so I reformatted the disk using just journaled hfs instead.

Okay so I've got this board (MSI Neo2-fr) working almost perfectly with boot 132 method now. Needs some tweaking still but I'll probably make an .ISO with the necessary kexts. Anyone interested in that?

I'd be interested in that. The boot 132 method means we'd be able to install future updates straight away doesnt it? and using a retail dvd of course

have you had any problems at all using this method?

thanks

ohhh and is it worth installing the 1.9 bios? anything changed in it?

Hi everybody!

I tried to follow kk's instructions on the pre-install setup. After flashing the BIOS on startup I was always getting a promt that the CMOS checksum was bad. Flashing back to the original BIOS and then flashing the modified one again fixed this problem - somehow...

So I went on setting up the BIOS as told in the first post. Everything works fine except the AHCI-part. As far as I understood this setting is found in "Integrated Peripherals" -> "On-Chip ATA Devices" -> "RAID Mode" and then select "AHCI" instead of "SATA" or "IDE". Is that right?

After saving these changes windows tries to start. But a couple secondes later it gives my a blue screen (for just a splitsecond) and resets the computer.

So, is there anything I might have missed?

Update: I managed to install JaS OSx86 10.5.4. But it won't recognize neither my PS/2 mouse nor the PS/2 keyboard. Pluging in a USB-mouse works, but I don't own a USB-keybord. Is there any workaround?

My setup:

MSI P35 Neo2-FIR

C2Q Q6600

Nvidia 8800 GT 520MB vram

4GB DDR 2 PC-8000 RAM

320GB SATA WD harddrive

SATA LG DVD-burner

And: After a (successful) install, do I have a dual boot system or do I have to set it up afterwards? Edit: never mind...

2008-10-08 Update:

Now everything works just perfect! Somehow my Hackintosh works fine without the AHCI-setting...

The proper PS/2-kext was installed using the OSx86 Tool Utility.

But the Realtek 8111b-LAN wouldn't work. So, after hours of scanning the forum I found someone with the same setup & problem. Solution: BIO-setting: LAN Option ROM -> Enabled.

That's it.

Thanx guys for all the help... ;-)

Hi everybody!

I tried to follow kk's instructions on the pre-install setup. After flashing the BIOS on startup I was always getting a promt that the CMOS checksum was bad. Flashing back to the original BIOS and then flashing the modified one again fixed this problem - somehow...

So I went on setting up the BIOS as told in the first post. Everything works fine except the AHCI-part. As far as I understood this setting is found in "Integrated Peripherals" -> "On-Chip ATA Devices" -> "RAID Mode" and then select "AHCI" instead of "SATA" or "IDE". Is that right?

After saving these changes windows tries to start. But a couple secondes later it gives my a blue screen (for just a splitsecond) and resets the computer.

So, is there anything I might have missed?

Update: I managed to install JaS OSx86 10.5.4. But it won't recognize neither my PS/2 mouse nor the PS/2 keyboard. Pluging in a USB-mouse works, but I don't own a USB-keybord. Is there any workaround?

My setup:

MSI P35 Neo2-FIR

C2Q Q6600

Nvidia 8800 GT 520MB vram

4GB DDR 2 PC-8000 RAM

320GB SATA WD harddrive

SATA LG DVD-burner

And: After a (successful) install, do I have a dual boot system or do I have to set it up afterwards? Edit: never mind...

2008-10-08 Update:

Now everything works just perfect! Somehow my Hackintosh works fine without the AHCI-setting...

The proper PS/2-kext was installed using the OSx86 Tool Utility.

But the Realtek 8111b-LAN wouldn't work. So, after hours of scanning the forum I found someone with the same setup & problem. Solution: BIO-setting: LAN Option ROM -> Enabled.

That's it.

Thanx guys for all the help... ;-)

Good stuff Quad. Good to see you got it working ;P. If I had read your post earlier, I could have given you a suggestion/method for setting up AHCI in Windows XP after you already have it installed. AHCI is only recommended to install on your xp system during setup though, but there is a workaround.

I have just completed an iDeneb install, and I must say that I still prefer the JaS disc to this one ... at least for our board. Here's a quick rundown of the issues/problems I had. The iDeneb shutdown fix didn't help whatsoever with the bsod on restart/shutdown after sleeping. I didn't test it without putting the system to sleep first though ... but in any case, that doesn't help what I'm trying to accomplish. I didn't see the orange drive icon fix in the installation, so I had to apply that one after the installation. When checking the system properties, it's showing "unknown" for the AHCI drives, where on the JaS version it would display them properly (ICH9r)... (and yes, I chose ICHx in customize).

I guess it's a bit of a tossup on which version is best, as iDeneb already has 10.5.5 patched in it has the ich9 and icon fix that needs patching. I would still rather install JaS and then update to 10.5.5/patch kernel to stagexnu etc....

Anyway... my 2 cents... I'm starting to get a bit fed up with the sleep/shutdown fix, so I might start hunting for a giga-byte board that's known to have everything in osx86 working. Unfortunately it's a major problem for me, as I need to log in remotely to this system, but just cannot have my system running 24/7 anymore. (I promised myself that I would never do that once I started using S3 and WOL). I really do like the MSI board, and I have never received such great support from any other board manufacturer, but if I can't find a solution soon, I might just have to switch over.

Good Luck...

kk