MSI Neo2 FR - Running 10.5.4 Perfectly (Tutorial)

knew know

141 posts in this topic

Unfortunately it's a major problem for me, as I need to log in remotely to this system, but just cannot have my system running 24/7 anymore. (I promised myself that I would never do that once I started using S3 and WOL).

I'm having some weird problems with WOL and my Neo2-f

If the PC has been off for a few hours it can't be woken by WOL.

If the PC has been recently switched of (properly shutdown, NOT standby or hibernation) it CAN be woken by WOL.

Have you noticed anything similar with your setup?

I'm not sure if its a mobo/bios issue, or if maybe it's something to do with my router.

Any help would be appreciated though.

I'm having some weird problems with WOL and my Neo2-f

If the PC has been off for a few hours it can't be woken by WOL.

If the PC has been recently switched of (properly shutdown, NOT standby or hibernation) it CAN be woken by WOL.

Have you noticed anything similar with your setup?

I'm not sure if its a mobo/bios issue, or if maybe it's something to do with my router.

Any help would be appreciated though.

I assume that you're speaking in regards to a Windows XP installation? If so, then no I have no problems with WOL and Sleep on this system. The only thing that I'm noticing is if I login from outside, when I try waking up the system when I get home I'll have a black screen. I assume this has something to do with the screen resolution, but it's a bit annoying having to login again remotely from my laptop while sitting directly in front of the computer to initiate a reboot ;P. I assume you checked off "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" and have Wake Up Capabilities enabled (MagicPacket & PatternMatching should be the most secure).

Yeah, like I said it works sometimes so I'm pretty sure all the right options are selected.

I'm now thinking it's a problem with my router as I've tried a PCI NIC and have the same problems.

Cheers anyway.

I was thinking about your problem again today... What videocard do you have? Geforce by chance?

good day to all. i have the same exact model of the motherboard. flashed to the modified bios.

but upon loading the JaS installer, it hangs. does this have to do with my setup? i only used my spare IDE DVD-rom and IDE 40GB Hard Drive. thanks in advance

I had a similar problem. I didn't want to buy a SATA DVD or an USB-Drive. So I took the image on the harddisk and installed from there. For this I used ideneb 10.5.5 because it can install from IDE. Then I installed JaS, patched it to 10.5.5 and now it is perfectly working with the modified Bios.

For this: THANKS TO ALL!

IDE made my System crash! Even the Marvell Sata produced crashes. Since I disabled it I'ver never had any "restart your computer" again!

Maybe this can help you.

I had a similar problem. I didn't want to buy a SATA DVD or an USB-Drive. So I took the image on the harddisk and installed from there. For this I used ideneb 10.5.5 because it can install from IDE. Then I installed JaS, patched it to 10.5.5 and now it is perfectly working with the modified Bios.

For this: THANKS TO ALL!

IDE made my System crash! Even the Marvell Sata produced crashes. Since I disabled it I'ver never had any "restart your computer" again!

Maybe this can help you.

thanks for this info, just curious on the part you used idened 10.5.5 then installed JaS? is this necessary? since the ideneb version was already 10.5.5, why did update it?

thanks in advance

thanks for this info, just curious on the part you used idened 10.5.5 then installed JaS? is this necessary? since the ideneb version was already 10.5.5, why did update it?

thanks in advance

Well, the part with iDeneb was, that I was not able to boot into Mac OS. Even if I installed the Chameleon Patch. With JaS it worked.

I found a tool that copied the DVD on a partition on my SATA-HDD. This partition was then made bootable. Unfortunately I don't know the name of the tool. But if you can install iDeneb and boot with the DVD and the rd=diskxsy command then you can convert the iso to dmg and use the disk utility to restore the image to a partition.

Fact is iDeneb Setup is working from IDE (maybe crashes! didn't test it). Maybe you can even boot easily into it. IDE in JaS is NOT working. (No direct install and random crashes)

Hope this will help you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
you mean i can install mac os on this board without the modified bios? does it detect two cpus? ty

I already had iDeneb installed with the chameleon boot loader so I just experimented with the DSDT patcher and found that it works without modifying the 1.10 bios. Think you would still need cpus=1 for the initial installation.

excuse me

I have a problem with LG SATA DVD-RW. I installed Leo4All(10.5.2) and it works good. but my DVD-RW isn't works. When I insert disc into DVD drive.It doesn't detect any disc. And system profiler cann't found my DVD drive.

Thanks

PS. sorry for my bad English.

Hey Guys,

want to try the Tutorial, but first Question after changing Sata-Raid-Setting to AHCI:

My Vista Installation dont want to boot after changing this setting :/ Is the only way to run Vista install it again?

My wish is to run Vista64 on my first SATA HD (like yet) and to use the second SATA HD for Leopard... find some Tutorials

to get a bootmenu, but work Vista64 perfectly with AHCI enabled?

I have two more HD´s with much Stuff, is there

a risk to loose this or its better to remove the 3th and 4th HD for testing this all?

THX for every help, and plz excuse my bad english ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also a bit skeptical of shutdown/sleep working properly. Did you install any kext fixes to get this working? What kernel, vanilla 10.5? StageXNU? This is the final fix to having osx working 100% ... and then I'll be able to login from work while my computer is in S3 ;P.

Thanks,

kk

Sorry for responding so late. I got no clue why it "worked".... i followed exactly the tutorial from post1 + the stuff i wrote :D

Update:

"Worked"....

Yesterday i tried the 10.5.6 Combo Update :D

Exactly what i did:

1. downloaded the new Chameleon DSDT Fix (zip file containing 3 files). http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757

2. downloaded Chameleon Installer 1.0.11, searched for the file called "boot" inside the package, (as i understand, i have to extract the chameleon file from the zip i downloaded earlier, rename it to "boot" and overwrite the old "boot" file inside the chameleon installer pkg) - since "boot" was a "unix executable" and the chameleon file i extracted (same size), was recogniced as "Plain Text"... i googled and found a terminal command, to tell OSX (or the file) that it is not plain text, but a unix executable)

3. now as OSX "thinks" that the "fixed chameleon file" (the one from Step 1. - inside the zip) is a unix executable, i replaced the old boot file inside the Chameleon Installer package (Step2).

4. Installed the modified Chameleon Installer pkg and chose my LEO partition.

5. downloaded http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683 DSDT Patcher

6. Run the DSDT patcher..... it worked (no error) and created the dsdt.aml file.

7. Copied the dsdt.aml file to root directory

8. Restart to test (actually i have NOT really a clue WHAT exactly my steps "do"

9. Restarted fine

10. Since reading on http://netkas.org/?p=78 that you DO need the PM Disabler (didn't find it) or the Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext (found that one in /System/Library/DIsabled Extensions) and installed that kext using OSX86 tools. (i guess thats the right way)

11. reboot again to test -> worked (as it loaded and everything seemed to work normal - didn't do -v boot and analyse that)

12. Downloaded 10.5.6 Combo from Apple

13. Everything went fine (install), --> completed -> restart

14. Hangs with spinning Circle at grey screen

15. tried -v -x boot, always hangs (it beginns to load, then HDD makes a "Spindown", LED indicated HDD activity for 5-6 sec ---> nothing.

16. After my rescue attempt (replacing the new kext. with my old ones - only the ones Finder told me that where modified today.... it got worse. Errors about "extension com.apple.iokitPCIFamily not found", jnl: unknown-dev journal replay done --> hang", + something about ACPI Expert (i guess)...

17. Format -> Superduperbackup REstore from external BAckup to internal HDD.

DAMN :)

anybody sees my error? is there even one?

btw: Repair Diskpermission allways showed up multiple errors since 10.5.3, that couldnt get fixed (maybe thats the problem)

any ideas, thoughts?

cheers + excuse my "english", Phil

Update: BIGSMILE

4th attempt worked..... HOW i did it

1. Backup restore using Superduper

2. downloaded DSDT Patcher GUI + Universal OSx86 Installer (leo4all.com)

3. Ran the Patcher, (patcher automaticly stores the dsdt file in root of the chosen disc)

4. Ran Universal OSx86 Installer with settings (osx86 essentials package witch apply kext package, Install PC_EFIv9, apply Ethernet EFI string, Apply EFI string for my GFX card, + install custom kexts from HD -> IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext)

5. Test reboot -> EFI bootloader worked (superduper breaks it somehow)

6. Installed the Voodoo Kernel 1.0 REv A Package

7. Reboot -> started fine -> uname -a shows VoodooKernel loaded

8. Installed the Combo 10.5.6 Update - rebooted twice.... everything went fine

and here i am :) 10.5.6 (at least About This Mac says so)

Issues:

Terminal uname -a shows still old 9.5.0 Voodoo 1.0 kernel ( i guess i know how to fix that, but now i have like 6 different "backup" or "new" and "original" mach_kernels in Root, besides the Voodoo one). I guess i can just try to boot with mach_kernelXY to test which is the new one....... but until i get some OK, i wont try ;)

System Profiler tells under "Hardware" : "There was an error while gathering this information."

Sound needs to be patched again, i guess - doesnt work for now....

More to test tomorrow :)

Again: Sorry for not helping much with tech-feedback, this was again more like trial-error + luck :)

But i described exactly what i did, i even wrote it down, so pothead :) won't forget again what he tried, and what not :D

Here we go:

Sound fixed again by HDApatching witth the ALC888-D dump -> working

Can't mount any DMGs -> Kernel Panic (seems caused by using 9.5 Voodoo Kernel in combination with 10.5.6 System.kext and/or new Seatbelt.kext)

USB (webcam works), mounting my external HDD doesnt

Will investigate further, (load new kernel or old seatbelt.kext - don't know whats "better"

• 2 weeks later...

i cant seem to install leo4allv3 at all, it always seems to get stuck at the same spot (says 3 mins remaining)...

tried ideneb 10.5.5, installed fine, but does not load up to the blue screen... does not progress after the stuff about mDNSResponder :(

any ideas?

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my CPU from E2180 to Q9550 :) (what a jump). It broke my current Leopard install since I have to upgrade BIOS on MSI P35 Neo2-FR from v1.8 mod to v.1.10 unmod. Now my question is:

1. I can't boot into my current Leopard install even with cpus=1 flag. Can I run DSDT patcher with the Leopard install DVD?

The other thing is if someone has a mod v.1.10 bios for MSI 7345 (MSI P35 Neo2 FR), please kindly share it. I appreciate it very much.

Thanks....

i cant seem to install leo4allv3 at all, it always seems to get stuck at the same spot (says 3 mins remaining)...

tried ideneb 10.5.5, installed fine, but does not load up to the blue screen... does not progress after the stuff about mDNSResponder ;)

any ideas?

Lamune, I can't remember quite exactly but I sort of having the same issue before.

Do you have an IDE dvd-rom? If it is, you might want to use a SATA one or externel USB dvd-rom instead.

i got it all figured out, used ideneb 10.5.5 with the right settings (reinstalled ALOT of times)

c2d e6750 oc 3.2ghz

4gb ram (limit to 3gb use because of possible kp)

9600gt (qe/ci all working) used nvkush

alc888 (mic and stereo only....)

anyone get 5.1 on this thing? :)

i got it all figured out, used ideneb 10.5.5 with the right settings (reinstalled ALOT of times)

c2d e6750 oc 3.2ghz

4gb ram (limit to 3gb use because of possible kp)

9600gt (qe/ci all working) used nvkush

alc888 (mic and stereo only....)

anyone get 5.1 on this thing? :)

So, what did you do to avoid mDNSResponder error? I tried iDeneb 10.5.5 and had this problem. So I switched to XxX 10.5.5 and is working fine.

So, what did you do to avoid mDNSResponder error? I tried iDeneb 10.5.5 and had this problem. So I switched to XxX 10.5.5 and is working fine.

the reason it hangs there is because it tries to load nvidia drivers that are probably not compatible with what you have... what you need to do:

So to get around that, I did this (after booting into single/admin user mode by typing in -s at Darwin prompt):

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVD*

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

exit

after that it should go into vesa mode