MSI Neo2 FR - Running 10.5.4 Perfectly (Tutorial)

knew know

141 posts in this topic

osinstall.mpkg from 10.5.8 (internal SATA) to USB-hdd. + Chameleon 2 RC 3

screenshot20090918at757.png

rocksolid

iamhappy:

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you ;P. I have since swapped my board for a gbyte p45 and I haven't attempted to install osx onto my old MSI board for quite some time now. Since I created this thread, I have learned a lot about installing/running osx with an almost completely Vanilla setup thanks to DSDT and chameleon rc1+ (E/E folder). I always felt that the MSI board was rock solid, and although I moved to a board which is a bit easier to work with in terms of installing osx I kind of miss trying to get the MSI to work flawlessly ;P (sleep was always an issue).

So how is the SL install? Sleep/shutdown/restart working as they should? Do you still require a modded bios for multicore cpu's?

kk

iamhappy:

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you ;P. I have since swapped my board for a gbyte p45 and I haven't attempted to install osx onto my old MSI board for quite some time now. Since I created this thread, I have learned a lot about installing/running osx with an almost completely Vanilla setup thanks to DSDT and chameleon rc1+ (E/E folder). I always felt that the MSI board was rock solid, and although I moved to a board which is a bit easier to work with in terms of installing osx I kind of miss trying to get the MSI to work flawlessly ;P (sleep was always an issue).

So how is the SL install? Sleep/shutdown/restart working as they should? Do you still require a modded bios for multicore cpu's?

kk

thank you again for your tutorial!

I have no clue if modded bios is still required, i still use the one from the tutorial. Snow runs like a charm, except :) sleep. But i have to admit i didn't try to solve this since my setup runs basically 24/7. Sleep only worked after one 10.5.x update "fixing" attempt (got it several time busted).

64bit and 32bit kernel work, i have to use 32bit though because of my soundcard kext (esi juli@), but who gives since the apps run in 64 bit :)

Gfx (8600gt) works with EFI strings, LAN out of the box, even system profiler reports right cpu speed (E2140 @ 3 Ghz) for the first time (never worked in 10.5.x).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
@iamhappy;

Would you be so kind and help some of the noobs out.

Could you write down your BIOS settings and mayby describe the steps you took to install.

Do you really require a modified BIOS, or is this DSDT thing solving the problem?

TIA, -niels

ah {censored}, this email notification doesn't work well here....

sorry i am sadly no pro. basically i have the same bios settings as knew know suggested in post #1 + i 'm using the 1.8 moddified by kabyl (again from post #1). since i want to make a cpu upgrade asap, and my choice (Q9550 E0 stepping) requires "7345v1A.zip" - 1A..... i HOPE somebody here has the 1A bios running and gives confirmation that snow works. i can live with -no sleep - never worked before really ;)

what i can say: with 1.8kabyl you can generate a custom DSDT.aml file with no errors. Snow works perfect with the steps from posts above, i can't really say though if it's because of the dsdt.aml :D

somebody tested/tests other bios?

going to write down step-by-step when i install again in the next week,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...