MSI Neo2 FR - Running 10.5.4 Perfectly (Tutorial)

knew know

141 posts in this topic

What exactly do you want to do with the board? Need it to wake up from S3 state remotely? Or true WOL where you're waking up the computer from a turned off state....

If you want to wake it from S3, then yes, it works great. Not sure if you can wake it up the other way though, and if so, most likely on from within your local network.

This is not related to OSX, but does anyone know if this motherboard supports wake on LAN?

Ive had a look through the BIOS but can't see any mention of it.

I have since found out that there's no WOL option in the BIOS.

I had to change a setting in Windows to get it to work which is weird because I thought WOL is all hardware based.

I have it working now. I can now remotely turn on my PC and have it boot up Windows.

Then I can login with VNC from my iPod Touch.

Hey guys, here i am again ;) ok i just downloaded the new JaS 10.5.4 DVD. I tryed booting up from it but it said "still waiting for root device" so i hooked up the dvd drive to an external usb conection and it booted up just fine... only now it didn't detect my SATA drive... any help?

My specs:

Mobo: MSI P35 Neo2 Platinum

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550

RAM: 1x 2gb 800mhz

Graphics: MSI Nvidia 7800 GT (HDMI edition)

HDD: 1 x SATA 400GB

DVD: HP dvd 940 IDE

Disk: JaS 10.5.4 Server

I just replied to your PM. Didn't realize that you posted in here first ;P. Anyway, make sure that all BIOS changes are made according to my initial Leo4all guide. Most importantly that AHCI is enabled. I assume that disk utility is not detecting it?

Hey guys, here i am again :( ok i just downloaded the new JaS 10.5.4 DVD. I tryed booting up from it but it said "still waiting for root device" so i hooked up the dvd drive to an external usb conection and it booted up just fine... only now it didn't detect my SATA drive... any help?

My specs:

DVD: HP dvd 940 IDE

I can't recall right now where it is exactly in the BIOS. But there should be a toggle with "AHCI = Enabled/Disabled". Look for it in the BIOS. Make sure that the BIOS configuration in my original post are setup properly. If you can't find a certain noted setting, then look harder, it's there. Try again after making those adjustments, and let me know what the outcome is, including all error messages/problems. Be as specific as possible.

Umm where exactly IS the AHCI? ;) yes i have everything else set right

Well i'm trying to dual boot vista and leopard. so i installed vista first on the first partition and left the second partition unallocated. then i installed leopard with the JaS 10.5.4 DVD and the install went superb. (although i did have to uncheck NVKush bc it was preventing my install from finishing correctly) then when i first tried to boot the system, i got the "boot1: error"

My specs:

DVD: HP dvd 940 IDE (using a USB enclosure)

I got my complete install done and when I am asked to reboot from sertup it won't. The screen basically runs throgh the verbose attemt to boot the os it stops and reboots the computer. I have attempted several times abou the only thing I did not do according to you're guide was the checking within the option during setup "ICH9 - Enabled" I dont see this option but maybe I missed it. any hints where it may be hiding. I am presently using the leo4allv3. is this possibly the problem. Or is it because I'm installing the program to a seperate drive???

Vista apparently wants full control over the bootloader and can be a bit difficult to setup with osx on a multiboot. I have only run vista during it's testing phase and at work when it's required (which is not often). My experience unfortunately is limited to running osx/winxp in a multiboot setup using MBR. JaS is working on a .ppf patch for his .iso, and I think that it comes with a workaround for this very problem that you're experiencing as JaS addressed the problem when someone else was having the same boot1 error.

You should be able to get in by leaving your disk in the drive to force into Darwin, and then run rd=diskXsY

X = physical HDD number starting at "0"

Y = partition number starting at "1"

Example: rd=disk0s2 means physical disk#1 partition #2. If you're unsure, then you'll have to use the terminal to run fdisk and check your disks/parititons.

I would either suggest doing a bit of reading in the "Multi Boot and Virtualisation" section of the forum or wait until JaS can release his .ppf patch which will hopefully correct the issue for you.

Well i'm trying to dual boot vista and leopard. so i installed vista first on the first partition and left the second partition unallocated. then i installed leopard with the JaS 10.5.4 DVD and the install went superb. (although i did have to uncheck NVKush bc it was preventing my install from finishing correctly) then when i first tried to boot the system, i got the "boot1: error"

My specs:

DVD: HP dvd 940 IDE (using a USB enclosure)

If you have the same board, are running all sata drives, doing a winxp/osx multiboot, have made all bios settings (including using Kabyl's hacked bios) and have checked everything off correctly in customise then you should be using Leopard as we speak. I'm not 100% sure if missing ich9 will keep it from booting, but it's a possibility. I'd expect that most of us did not get these distributions running on the first go. Expect to re-install it at least a few times before getting it working flawlessly. If all else fails, then try the JaS release, it's been very good to me thus far.

I got my complete install done and when I am asked to reboot from sertup it won't. The screen basically runs throgh the verbose attemt to boot the os it stops and reboots the computer. I have attempted several times abou the only thing I did not do according to you're guide was the checking within the option during setup "ICH9 - Enabled" I dont see this option but maybe I missed it. any hints where it may be hiding. I am presently using the leo4allv3. is this possibly the problem. Or is it because I'm installing the program to a seperate drive???

So what did you do to get it running. Help the people here that are having the same problems ;P. The sleep problem is an ongoing issue. Not many boards/configurations have this running properly. There are a few kernels that I haven't tried just yet, and I was hoping that stagexnu would be the one, but sadly no. Anyway, turn off "sleep" and enjoy osx!

Okay, now I'm running JaS 10.5.4! But I'm having some problems with sleep... when I leave my computer alone, it either just shutdown, or goes into an everlasting sleep. I can't wake the computer up!

Ok I'm back and tried using your updated guide. I have run into some small problems.

1. The install went fine runs OSx.

2. I installed NVKush but since I have the 9600GT it wouldnt boot unless I was in safe mode. (-V -x)

3. This release is missing all the cool programs that leo4all had, so I don't know how to remove NVKush.

Besides that little problem every thing runs fine!

Yeh !!!!! Leo4All Final is installed

I did it First by

Going to the Bios Advanced Features and

1- Changed the Boot Sector Protection to – Disabled. You can change it back but you’ll need to update the bios

right?

2- Installed the bios per Kalby 7345v18 using the link from ambios as provided : BIOS Updater

3- Now reboot and go back to the bios and reset it’s time and date via the Standard CMOS Features

Now MY my Board “MSI P35 NEO2 fr” this board is less than a week old. And the bios was already updated

to 1.8. Well

Starting in order Left side of the BIOS screen

4- Advanced BIOS FEATURES-

a) IOPIC -5th Item down Enabled

:( MPS TABLE VERSION 6st item down – 1.4

c) CPU FEATURE- 7th item down - EXECUTE BIT in the sub directory – Enabled

Also in Chipset features - HPET

d) Boot Sequence - DVD ROM then HD and whatever!!!!!!

5- Next Integrated Peripherals

a) On-chip SATA controller AHCI Port

6- Power Management Setup

a) ACIP Function 1st item Enabled

B) ACIP Standby State 2nd item S3

7- Cell Menu

a) Intel EIST – Disabled

I am Loaded with 1gb of ram and Core Dual2 installed with LEO4all Final -v cpus=1

Loaded and when I got to the Disk Utility MBR

Loaded Vanilla 9.2.2

ACIP platform was a menu item and must be open to set Old

SMBios You Chose the Ram , I had 800s so chose the same

ICH9 was difficult to find but it was there. Under the Drivers, Hey its the chipset. Could not figure this out, but I did You are going to choose - ICH X

Drivers again for me and picked Nvidea 6500 driver chosen therefore I chose Nvinject 0.2.1

Audio driver ALC850 For /888

Network worked without help but it worked!!!!

But here's my bug, is there something Im missing because I cant reboot afterwards. I have 1 hard drive two partitions and as I said before Install is MBR with no other OS installed yet ??????

Ok, Now I'm even more confused, Evidentally you can't run XP on the board because ACHI is enable? How are the rest of you doing this?

......I geuss I'll answer the first question Myself. Two hard drive Bios change and save to stores in the BIOS since XP does not like ACHI!.....

But still need the other questions answered...... " Am I to supposed to Install them from the OS X or Even for that matter should I update from JAS do the same. Or is this where I should install from the boot? Ive gotten this far I just need a little Help"

Thanks for the guide, I wasn't able to have a JaS 10.5.4 to download But I did have Leo4Allv3 from my Laptop. I was kinda leery about flashing my BIOS, but I took the jump and its working perfectly. The only problem is I don't have IDE support (Currently 10.5.4). The weird thing is I have an IDE DVD Rom, which loaded from it fine, but after the install, nothing; also in 10.5.2 direct from the L4A install there was no IDE support :wacko:

Well I did some searching and thanks to Dense I found...

http://my.ukrweb.info/en/2008/01/1/marvell...ta-kext-leopard

Which works for me. I did a clean install from 10.5.2 and installed just that and stepped it up to 10.5.4. IDE is read as SATA. I used Kext Helper to install it the first time and I think that's what trashed my system.

EDIT: This is actually causing a problem with reading the drive with applications. It reads and mounts the DVD fine but opening with HandBrake or DiskUtil will make the App freeze...

Any options here?

• 2 weeks later...

First of all: THANK YOU !

Followed your guide, everything works (10.5.2)

Didn't try to get to 10.5.4, since I lost USB Plug&Play after trying the JAS 10.5.3 Update the first time. Sadly i can't remember what i did next, but it ended up in completely busting my OSX86 installation :)

Since everything runs fine (hope it's not a security issue to run 10.5.2), i hope you post again an idiot proof update guide for 10.5.5 or how you got it working.

thanks again !