MSI Neo2 FR - Running 10.5.4 Perfectly (Tutorial)

knew know

141 posts in this topic

Followed your instructions, and installed Leo4allV3 fine !

Didnt want to mod my BIOS, so its only running 1 core, buts its still very quick.

USB/Video/DVD drives and Internet all work fine.

Audio however doesn't. (tried the .txt file thing you recommended) If it matters Its connected via HD Audio (not AC97).

Also in the "Customize" section when installing, there was no ICH9 option.

Also, whats the correct String command for ( com.apple.Boot.plist) so that it boots automatically under cpus=1 instead of having to type it everytime.

Thanks !!

No luck, still not working :thumbsup_anim:

The speakers work fine on Vista / with my MP3 Player and its connected via the standard green cable.

Installed JAS 10.5.3 Combo update, and tried again but still no luck !

I drag and drop the txt. file into the AppleHDA (Frog) Icon, and it says something along the lines of "Patch complete, please reboot" so I assume that Im applying it correctly.

Any other ideas ?

Also, whats the best way fro me to update to 10.5.6, should I just get it from Apple Update ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...

First of all thanks for all the hard work from everybody, and to Knew Know for the tutorial.

My problem.: I used the JaS tutorial, and everything worked as described, i use the modded 1.9 bios with the settings provided. When installalation is done, it boots fine, then stops on the apple screen with the message " You need to restart you computer. Hold in the power button for several seconds or push the restart button". i can only get in to osx with -x (safe boot)

My setup.:

MSI p35 NEO2-FR

Pentium D 3.0 ghz dual core

Geforce 6600

4gb ram

Sata HD

Sata DVD

Any help, ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I've installed OSX 10.5.6 Retail (Boot-132 Method) yesterday and everything works fine except audio. I can't get it to work. About mac -> Audio is telling me:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Geräte-ID: 0x1462735A

Audio-ID: 888

Verfügbare Geräte:

Line-Out:

Verbindung: 1/8 Zoll-Buchse

Kopfhörer:

Line-In:

Lautsprecher:

Verbindung: Intern

S/P-DIF-Ausgang:

Verbindung: Optisch

S/P-DIF-Eingang:

Verbindung: Optisch

But in systemsettings Audio there is no device which I can select.

I've tried to download the ALC888 files through OSX86Tool, ALC888 from the Gigabyte P35 DS3L....nothing works. The method using AppleHDAPatcher doesnt seem to work for me. When I drag the text file into the icon in the dock nothing happens...I just see the window telling me "Please drag and drop your linux codec dump into the AppleHDA Patcher icon". Do you get a message when u installed the alc888.txt?

And is it possible, that maybe the various ALC888 files could block each other? How can I savely remove them?

And how do you get sound? Do u connect it through the green speaker connector or blue line-out connector?

The BIOS I use is the modified 1.8 and I have HD Audio enabled (its working in windows).

Best regards,

Valmar

• 3 weeks later...
oh yeah, it seems I don't even need to boot with -f (or cpus=1 but I have the hacked BIOS)

Hi, I am wondering where you got the hacked bios? I have downloaded several, but they all have something like a ".170" file extension and the afuwin program I'm using to flash the bios does not recognize them. I figure I have one of several problems but can't seem to find the information I need (and I promise I've been reading the forum as much as I can)

-I downloaded the wrong file

-I need to somehow assemble the file I downloaded

-I am using the wrong bios installer

If any of you have suggestions I would very much appreciate it.

-Matt

• 3 weeks later...

First off Thanks!

Because of the original tutorial I have been running Kalyway 10.5.3 for months. It was updated so I updated. JaS 10.5.4 worked for me again flawless.

Now I have some questions. In order for me to install my 9600GT I need to be at least 10.5.5. Can any one tell me how? I would really like 10.5.6 so I can run iWork. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!!

I found these instruction for upgrading from Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.6. Will this work for me trying to get JaS 10.5.4 to 10.5.6?

Upgrading to 10.5.5

Files Required: 10.5.5 update from apple.com (not combo)

1. Before launching update, go into terminal (utilities -> terminal)

2. Type in "sudo –s"

3. Next "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done"

4. Launch update, as usual update but don't restart

5. When done go back to terminal, press "ctrl +c" to end script

6. Than safely restart and boot with "update"

7. TATA

Upgrading to 10.5.6

Files required:

disabler.kext & apple decrypt.kext (search in insanelymac.com)

OSX86TOOl Utility (http://######.com/osx86tools/)

OSX 10.5.6 update (search in apple)

1. Install OSX86tool Utility and launch it

2. Use that to install the two .kext files by clicking "install .kext files"

3. Reboot, again with "update"

4. Before launching update, go into terminal (utilities -> terminal)

5. Type in "sudo –s"

6. Next "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done"

7. Launch update, as usual update but don't restart

8. in terminal press "CTRL + C" to end script

9. next type "nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1"

10. Replace the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext (at the last few lines in any)

11. Exit editor and save

12. Reboot with update –v

13. TATA

14. Using OSX86 tools, download and install your drivers to take full advantage of them. Make sure graphics is run

in "hardware accelerated" instead of software. Check by clicking apple logo at top left corner -> about this mac -> more info -> graphics

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all!

Is there anyone here that could post a tutorial on how to flash the MSI p35 neo2 FR BIOS with the modded one? I'm sorry, i'm a noob. I have downloaded the tool and googled on flashing the BIOS but i'm still not sure how to use it. And it would be comfortable that the steps will come from the people here that also has this same motherboard.

Thanks!

Hello all!

Is there anyone here that could post a tutorial on how to flash the MSI p35 neo2 FR BIOS with the modded one? I'm sorry, i'm a noob. I have downloaded the tool and googled on flashing the BIOS but i'm still not sure how to use it. And it would be comfortable that the steps will come from the people here that also has this same motherboard.

Thanks!

You can even use the Autoupdater for Windows... its so easy to use just check the MSI Site

Here is the Vanilla Guide

Hello. these are the fruits of 1 week of labour and countless CD-R coasters burnt trying to figure out how to use BOOT-132. (Use CD-RW/DVD-RW or USB BOOT-132 to get a less painless installation)

Before I begin, I would like to thank all contributors who made this possible!

This is my first time doing a guide. Forgive me if I am too comprehensive.

Here is how I got the MSI P35 Neo2 (MS 7345 (V1.x) working with 10.5.6 retail!

I noticed that so far, no one has attempted a retail install via Boot-132 on this problematic motherboard. I have not found a working Boot-132 vanilla guide for this motherboard yet before this.

Notes

* A less comprehensive guide has been posted in OSX wiki.

* Please read up on the basics before attempting to install as they are handy.

* BIOS Flashing is done at your own risk.

Disclaimer

I, nor god are responsible for any of your subsequent actions as a result of reading this thread, be it in "good faith" or not.

This guide is to return to the community knowledge in return for what knowledge I have taken.

If you like the OS after you tried it, buy their products. At least, the installation DISC.

I am not an employee nor affiliated of any of the Brands listed here.

The Brands remain the property of the companies.

Pre-Installation

Prepare your Boot-132 media.

(If system.kext and kernel version are different, mounting DMG will result in KP)

Flash your M/B Bios with caution.

Customize your motherboard settings as necessary.

You may wish to set-up your motherboard to be as legacy free as possible (my-setup) to get the leopard installed.

If you have done it correctly, you will not see a kernel panic.

If not. Remedy it and you will be greeted with the Language Selection Screen

Installation

Format your drive. Partition as per your needs.

My Primary drive was partitioned into 2

1x for Productive use, 1x for "System Recovery".

You may want a third partition to do beta testing.

Choose your installation options. A minimal installation is almost 1/2 the size of a full installation.

After installation, the setup may/may not terminate with error.

Ignore and reboot with Boot-132.

It should load and you will be greeted with the fascinating welcome screen. (enjoyed better with sound. your mileage may vary)

POST Installation

Patch accordingly.

You now have a working leopard.

Configuration Settings

Kext Used for Boot-132

Can be slimmed down (Have not fully experimented with a min Kext installation.

* ACPIPS2Nub

* dsmos

* IntelCPUPMDisabler

* seatbelt

* SMBIOSEnabler

Motherboard Bios

* Kabyl V1.8 Bios

CPU Used

* Intel Q6600 @ 3GHZ (D0 Stepping) -> 4 cores shown on default.

BIOS Settings

Disabled

* Jmicron

* serial port

* HD Audio Controller

Enabled

* USB Legacy Support

* Execute Bit support

* Set limit CPUID

* Usb Device Legacy Support

Others

* AHCI Devices -> SATA

Drives (SATA)

* HDD

* LG DVD Writer (DVD-RW DVD-DL No Issue)

Add on cards

* PCI-X -> MSI Nvidia NX8500GT 256MB - Using Osxtools to modify

* PCI -> VIA IEEE1394 controller enabled (on secure mode) - works OOTB

* PCI -> Audigy PCI soundcard works using 1.21b Kaudio kext installer. Only output. Input doesn't work. Random KP.

Display

Recognised after GFX recognised but shown as unconnected in the system profile

* Lenovo D221W -> Native resolution

* Dell 2407WFP -> Native Resolution

USB Devices

* Keyboard Nesvista US standard(Due to different layout, makes me want to throw my current keyboard and get the imac keyboard which is sexier to me than the current thin aluminum chiclets.)

* Microsoft Mouse -> kext from microsoft works.

* External HDD can R/W NTFS with NTFS-3G Driver. Mount/dismount ok.

* Logitech Webcam Go Carl Zeiss (works with Skype Video/Usb microphone). Skype will hang if there is no output device available when a call is answered. Have not tested with MSN messenger

Chameleon

* V1 works OOTB. Installed via OSX tools

* V2 Beta does not work (Install on EFI partition or standard)(white screen on boot with loading but no kernel panic -v)

Ok, so i successfully flashed my MSI p35 Neo-fr bios with the modded one by Kabyl just to correctly detect my Q6600 cpu by Mac OsX. And it did! Problem is.... It registers as a "Core 2 Solo" and yes, it only detects 1 core!

Was there any wrong that i did? I remember i forgot to pull out the plug from the psu before clearing the CMOS.

Would that be the culprit? should i try to flash it again?

Or is it something we MSI Neo users have to live with?

Anyway, this is a great site! Learned lot of things!

Good job, guys!

I have 4 Cores with Istats menu, even in "about this Mac" it says Core 2 Quad after Patching the CPU ID with osx86 Tools.

My Audio Out/In isnt working with 10.5.7... is there a fix for it ? And we really need a Kext Package for our Mainboard :wacko:

I have 4 Cores with Istats menu, even in "about this Mac" it says Core 2 Quad after Patching the CPU ID with osx86 Tools.

My Audio Out/In isnt working with 10.5.7... is there a fix for it ? And we really need a Kext Package for our Mainboard :D

• 1 month later...

I am running 10.5.7 retail with the Neo2. Everything is working fine except Chameleon (always need to boot via 132-Boot DVD) and I am not able to use any USB Mass Storage Device. If I plug in a USB Stick or Hard Disk OSX instantly freezes and I have to reset the PC. Anyone else expierienced this problem and has a solution for it?

Best Regards

Valmar

MSI P35 Neo2 1.8 BIOS Kabyl

Q6600

Geforce 260 GTX

• 1 month later...

Although i wanted to buy a more compatible board this week.....

I did it :( - sort of.

I saw the Snow Leo Desktop, Internet was working... then it kernel panicked (mdworker)

I guess it's only a permission issue, what i've read.

After diner, i will try to fix it...

cross your fingers,

seems that our Neo2 can run Snow Leopard :)

Although i wanted to buy a more compatible board this week.....

I did it :) - sort of.

I saw the Snow Leo Desktop, Internet was working... then it kernel panicked (mdworker)

I guess it's only a permission issue, what i've read.

After diner, i will try to fix it...

cross your fingers,

seems that our Neo2 can run Snow Leopard :)

hi. what version of the bios are you using? 1.8 or 1.10? thanks in advance

notinthisworld: using modified 1.8 bios

ok the bootloader was the problem all the time.... AAR

just installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766

now my usb-snow-leo disk boots up (thought i completely busted the installation after numerous fixing attempts)

screenshot20090911at125.png

this are files i used (from various snow leo installation tutorial threads)

picture21gy.png

of course custom DSDT.aml, and edited platform UIID in smbios and the kext.

didn't try sound yet (i am using pci sound card, onboard is disabled through bios)

SATA controller or some ports are not being recognized, one hdd is missing

i had to create new user, since permissions completely were busted by default (i guess my fault somehow during installation-aftermath),

diskutility can't repair permissions, due to lack of "installer package" seems, to install snow from snow (again) fixes this... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t182343.html

Graphics with EFI strings work, Ethernet without modifying anything.

nice !